Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Huh, I didn't know that. I stand corrected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

shadok posted:

This one is still in, though (I think):

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't know what the gag is here.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't know what the gag is here.

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM

NEURAL ACTIVITY

CARDIOVASCULAR ACTIVITY

CELLULAR ACTIVITY

MED INS COVERAGE AVAIL

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh, I thought that orange circle on the diagram was someone's Paint drawing highlighting a visual gag :doh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons they don't want to remaster for HD is because people would be able to read all the jokes on the arrival boards. One S1 episode has a board indicating the imminent arrival of the Rolling Stones farewell tour.

Hehehe. That rocks.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Just doing a full watch of the show for the first time. I'd watched it before but only in the classic random episode caught here and there method

I am about 4 episodes in and so far despite everything being 90s as hell it's held up fairly well Lando is quite possibly the best character
And while I remember the twist with Delen I'm surprised her "secret" is revealed so early

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Conversely we're about 6 episodes from the end. And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder has one of Sheridan's most :stare: lines.

"THAT'S ENOUGH! Now we gave you a promise, and we are bound by that promise. And drat you for asking for it! And drat us for agreeing to it! And drat us all to hell, because that's where we're all going!"

Season 5 gets real good again after the halfway point.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm just realizing that a bunch of Sheridan lines could be mixed with a bunch of Sam Jackson lines and it would be really hard to tell the difference.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Delsaber posted:

I'm just realizing that a bunch of Sheridan lines could be mixed with a bunch of Sam Jackson lines and it would be really hard to tell the difference.

Now get these mother f$&@ing shadows out of my mother f$&@ing galaxy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"This is some tasty spoo!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Season 5 gets real good again after the halfway point.

The Centauri plotline is just so, so, so goddamn good.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
ZOG

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Some people just won't take "zog" for an answer.

If anyone needs me, I'm getting the bucket.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched a few episodes of early Babylon 5 when it aired. Now that it's streaming on go90, I've decided to give the series a go, especially since Verizon will shut down go90 at any moment.

Should I watch the show/movies in the order they aired or should I follow this recommended watching order?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That order's fine but really don't feel compelled to watch any of the side non-show content, honestly. The only good movie is In The Beginning.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

neongrey posted:

That order's fine but really don't feel compelled to watch any of the side non-show content, honestly. The only good movie is In The Beginning.

This.

Thirdspace is okay, too. But River of Souls, A Call To Arms, and (especially) Legend of the Rangers, are probably missable.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Watching River of Souls and Legend of the Rangers back to back would probably make you give up on the series.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Okay, so The Gathering, s1-4, In the Beginning, then s5? Easy peasy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Gathering is also best saved for after you've seen a fair few episodes of season 1 (or skipped altogether), because the pacing is absolutely glacial.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Gathering is godawful. It does get referenced so if you're committed to watching the whole series, go ahead but don't let it discourage you.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I would 100% skip The Gathering. It gets a 2-second callback later on, and actually makes the Vorlons a bit less mysterious, and a bit more petulant. That's about it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The Gathering is most interesting to me as a production artifact. Once you're a fan, take a look to see how all the pieces started to get assembled.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Everytime I see a glut of new posts in this thread my heart skips a beat thinking another cast member died :/

And yeah the Gathering is extremely optional. If you find yourself going, jesus christ I have to sit through another hour of this, just skip ahead to the series.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

The Gathering is most interesting to me as a production artifact. Once you're a fan, take a look to see how all the pieces started to get assembled.

Yup, that's true, and I'm glad I saw it for that reason. I'm also really glad I started at S1E1 all those years ago and not The Gathering.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

Everytime I see a glut of new posts in this thread my heart skips a beat thinking another cast member died :/

And yeah the Gathering is extremely optional. If you find yourself going, jesus christ I have to sit through another hour of this, just skip ahead to the series.

Or only watch scenes with G'Kar and Londo in them.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

"There is a hole...in your mind."

There. That's all you need from The Gathering.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Gathering is very very bad and half the characters get replaced by different actors without explanation. You don't need to watch it.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Gathering is very very bad and half the characters get replaced by different actors without explanation. You don't need to watch it.

Plus, ever since the puppets got edited out, what's the point, right?

"And here's brown sector, where all our most zany aliens live"

-cut-

"And that was brown sector. Neat, right?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

head58 posted:

"There is a hole...in your mind."

There. That's all you need from The Gathering.

Too bad that was literally true. RIP O'Hare.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Laurel Takashima's awful line delivery would have single-handedly sunk the series. That's explanation enough for me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bartolimu posted:

Laurel Takashima's awful line delivery would have single-handedly sunk the series. That's explanation enough for me.

Of all the wooden acting and terrible lines from people in the show she was the complete worst. I wonder if she either had a connection to the production team and got an in or they literally cast the first person they found for the role because it was a time/money issue.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
At least we got Ivanova when she left. I think she was honestly one of the best actors/characters in the show.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know A Call To Arms isn't great but I consider it at least something to see alongside something like Thirdspace.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I liked the original doctor though. I have no idea what was up with Laurel.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clouseau posted:

Re-watching part of it I almost wonder if casting the minor parts was an afterthought since they assumed a genre sci-fi show that wasn't Star Trek would have to be carried by the core cast and even they JMS basically lucked out and got a main cast roster of incredible talent at a discount rate given their circumstances and backgrounds at the time.

You go back to Star Trek TNG and you'd get almost laughably bad actors in many of the minor parts, the surprise exception when the person playing a role for only one episode or minor recurring roles was genuinely good and able to act alongside some of the main cast and not seem like a high school drama student.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clouseau posted:

The original plan was to have Laurel Takashima be the Psi-Corps sleeper agent, too, so they'd want you to like her as much as Ivanova. I'm guessing they just caught Tamlyn Tomita on a bad day, because she's had zero problems finding work since.

Dr Kyle was intended to be retained for the series proper, but Johnny Sekka had recurring health problems that forced him first to decline the part and then to retire from acting. B5 was his final role.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

The original plan was to have Laurel Takashima be the Psi-Corps sleeper agent, too, so they'd want you to like her as much as Ivanova. I'm guessing they just caught Tamlyn Tomita on a bad day, because she's had zero problems finding work since.

Dr Kyle was intended to be retained for the series proper, but Johnny Sekka had recurring health problems that forced him first to decline the part and then to retire from acting. B5 was his final role.

Some actors rely a lot on directors, especially if they're uncomfortable with their role, and some don't. I think much of the "bad acting" in the early part of the show is down to actors getting little or no help from their directors. Try watching S1 performances from episode to episode tracking the director and you'll see some interesting variation.

Compton appears to have been more interested in action and effects than in characterization, and he directed "The Gathering".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Was Kosh not an energy being when the Gathering was written?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lycus posted:

Was Kosh not an energy being when the Gathering was written?

Technically the Vorlons aren't energy beings (that is to say, non-corporeal). The Vorlons have physical forms.

I want to say there are JMS posts where he says they're silicon-based or crystalline-based or something like that.

Kosh put out his 'hand' and the assassin hit him with a poison that'd work on his physiology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milky Moor posted:

Technically the Vorlons aren't energy beings (that is to say, non-corporeal). The Vorlons have physical forms.

I want to say there are JMS posts where he says they're silicon-based or crystalline-based or something like that.

Kosh put out his 'hand' and the assassin hit him with a poison that'd work on his physiology.

No, he didn't. That's how Lyta's mind interpreted Kosh's memory of the event, but Kosh himself had to have been poisoned through his encounter suit. It's the big unexplained plot hole of the pilot.

My preferred explanation is that it was actually the encounter suit that was poisoned. Kosh was affected because he was connected to it in the same way as he connected to his ship.