Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The office chair aficionados get a hard on for the Ikea Markus:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Twenty years ago, good chairs were $500+ and anything below $250 was absolute poo poo. In this day and age where you can read reviews on everything and buy direct from China, there are lots of options in the $100-$200 range that will give you a ton of adjustability, comfortability, and last 10+ years. I'm sitting on an executive leather chair purchased from Costco 10 years ago and it is as comfy as day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
You can get an Aeron for 4-500. Probably cheaper if you looked around.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Initio posted:

You can get an Aeron for 4-500. Probably cheaper if you looked around.

Probably one of the old style Aerons though, which I wouldn't recommend over other options in that price bracket. Chair design has improved in the two decades since it came out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

TheQuietWilds posted:

What's the most comfortable office chair available in the sub $500? I'm a medical student and I'm building a study room.

EDIT: It looks like I really have to adjust my expectations about price for a comfortable chair for long-duration sitting

Check the computer chair thread. I got a Steelcase Leap on Craigslist for $200 ($800 retail). It seemed like a sweet spot at the time (a couple of years ago).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Just posting to gripe and complain. Landlord has been pretty no hassle the year I've been here but now that I'm moving out his habit of only communicating when he wants something is a bit annoying. I am moving out this month and comes by while he's putting in the new water heater and says that he'd like to set up an open house to show the place and while hes at it he needs to paint over the part of the wall they had to open up when they did some work with permits and the inspector needed to have a look inside, as well as replace the floors with actual wood flooring.

Basically I told him I was planning on having my stuff out of there by the 22nd but not vacating the place until the 27th as I plan to sleep there on an air mattress until the end of my last work week of the month, so if he wanted to do a viewing it'd have to be after that, however if he wanted to come in and do that work I mentioned above I could move my stuff into the kitchen and be out of the way.

He replies: "We will have the open house on the week and coordinate anything with you during the day - we will change the wood after the 27th"

'On the week'? Which week? You mean the week of the 27th? (I wouldn't put it past him to try and do it the week I'm moving my stuff out)

4 days go by and no reply.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

so if he wanted to do a viewing it'd have to be after that

Poor communication notwithstanding, why did you think it was going to work like that? Depending on where you are located you are likely not going to legally be able prevent him from having an open house during normal hours once he has given you notice.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Unload My Head posted:

Poor communication notwithstanding, why did you think it was going to work like that? Depending on where you are located you are likely not going to legally be able prevent him from having an open house during normal hours once he has given you notice.

Because he said he was going to work it around my schedule? Maybe I wasn't clear, I was telling him if he wanted to do it after the 22nd would be best because I would be moving my stuff out of the apartment and most people/landlords I would think would rather do it when there aren't a bunch of boxes and poo poo scattered everywhere. I said I wouldn't put it past him to do a showing this way though because I've always been so accommodating.

I've been working all this stuff with him through text message and it's all been 'would this work?' or 'can I do it at this time?' and the problem is that whenever I ask him to confirm a date hes super slow to get back to me. But where I live a landlord needs to given written notice to enter which he's done a couple times before, but he hasn't actually done with this.

Ultimately I think the reason things would work this way is because I've built up a lot of good will with my landlord with all his other requests. I am the only one in the building that ever pays on time every month according to him. And we're not dicks to each other? He's offered to let me keep storing my stuff in the basement so I would be able to save money vs using a storage locker but I'm actually moving out of state and emptying out my storage locker too.

And I'm giving him way more than he's asking, basically he's asked for a weekend and I've given him that and my work schedule so he can show it every day next week.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

The office chair aficionados get a hard on for the Ikea Markus:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Twenty years ago, good chairs were $500+ and anything below $250 was absolute poo poo. In this day and age where you can read reviews on everything and buy direct from China, there are lots of options in the $100-$200 range that will give you a ton of adjustability, comfortability, and last 10+ years. I'm sitting on an executive leather chair purchased from Costco 10 years ago and it is as comfy as day 1.

I'm sitting in a Markus now. It took some getting used to because the seat depth seems short or something. The first couple days I wasn't convinced I'd like it. I've gotten used to it, but it's not cushy or anything. On the other hand, I don't have any pain from long days sitting in it, so it has that going for it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Because he said he was going to work it around my schedule? Maybe I wasn't clear, I was telling him if he wanted to do it after the 22nd would be best because I would be moving my stuff out of the apartment and most people/landlords I would think would rather do it when there aren't a bunch of boxes and poo poo scattered everywhere. I said I wouldn't put it past him to do a showing this way though because I've always been so accommodating.

I've been working all this stuff with him through text message and it's all been 'would this work?' or 'can I do it at this time?' and the problem is that whenever I ask him to confirm a date hes super slow to get back to me. But where I live a landlord needs to given written notice to enter which he's done a couple times before, but he hasn't actually done with this.

Ultimately I think the reason things would work this way is because I've built up a lot of good will with my landlord with all his other requests. I am the only one in the building that ever pays on time every month according to him. And we're not dicks to each other? He's offered to let me keep storing my stuff in the basement so I would be able to save money vs using a storage locker but I'm actually moving out of state and emptying out my storage locker too.

And I'm giving him way more than he's asking, basically he's asked for a weekend and I've given him that and my work schedule so he can show it every day next week.

Ah, I gotcha. Sounds like he's getting a real case of short-timers syndrome.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

More complaining.

Both the kitchen and the bathroom were remodeled before I switched apartments from across the hall (which were done without permits which is why they had to open up the wall for an inspector after the fact that I mentioned earlier still needs painting).

The kitchen/office/hobby area in my tiny bay area apartment has almost no counter space so I had a lot of shelves I brought in and when I started my move-out they were one of the first things to go. I opened up the cabinets and pulled everything out and piled everything on the stove, the counter I did have, and the floor so I wont miss anything while packing. I've got most of it boxed up last night but still lots of odds and ends everywhere.

And its now that he wants pictures for the craigslist ad because he didn't take any after the reno. I really busted my rear end to get things packed thus far and I'm hoping that I can finish today between my two shifts at work so I can have everything moved out a day earlier than I planned. I have a bad back so I hired movers to come in tomorrow and if my back is still acting up I'm going to hire a cleaning service thursday to get the place inspection ready. I explain all this to him.

"How about today?"
"Um, no not really. Would Thursday be too late to send pictures for (apparently Sunday showing only now) the ad? I might be able to do some Weds night"
No reply.

EDIT: Im considering sending him pics anyway but make them less of the kitchen and more about the stuff I have laying around the kitchen like my collection of amusement park novelty cups or my cats toys.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 19, 2017

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

What's the most comfortable office chair available in the sub $500? I'm a medical student and I'm building a study room.

EDIT: It looks like I really have to adjust my expectations about price for a comfortable chair for long-duration sitting

Check out the Herman Miller Sayl. Knoll is having a sale so maybe check out the Regeneration? https://www.knoll.com/product/regeneration-by-knoll

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

More complaining.
You have some legal responsibilities and he has some legal responsibilities. You've built up a rapport with him and so now you've got some moral responsibilities and so does he.

A buddy of mine works down the street from me and when either of us do car repair the other one drives both of us home. When it's me, I tell him exactly what time I'll be ready and exactly where I'll be. I tell him at 8am it'll be 5:30pm on the corner. He's the opposite. I start texting him at 4pm and don't hear back at all. At 6pm I give him a final call and after no answer I just go home. At 6:30 I pull into a restaurant and sit down with my wife and at 6:40 he calls and tells me he's ready. Enjoy your Uber ride, I'll see you in the morning. Or, you can sit at work and wait until 8:30 when I'm done with dinner and have dropped my wife at home, I'll come and get you then. He has built up goodwill because he's given me a ride when I needed it, but he has not built unlimited goodwill where he can ignore me and then I'll drop everything in the middle of dinner to come get his rear end.

You are beholden to your landlord (or at least you feel you are) because you have a relationship. You are not legally required to take photos and yet you are. What a nice guy. You asked if he wanted photos and he didn't answer and when he got back to you there was a ton of poo poo on the floor. Well, there you have it. Here's a bunch of photos of the apartment with poo poo on the floor. If you wanted nice photos, you should have answered my texts last week.

You are over thinking this. You and this guy have a business relationship. He's not your brother and you don't have to give him a kidney. He is treating this like a business relationship. You should too.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
This is getting more and more odd. I have had tenants volunteer to take pictures before, but flat out asking them to do it is ridiculous.

I'm thinking this dude is just amateur hour and Mikey is right. Get out, get your deposit, move on, and don't throw your back out.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Thirding the sentiment of gently caress this guy. He seems like he's perfectly willing to soak up your favors (at his convenience, even) but isn't even considerate enough to respond to your text messages. Do what's legally required of you, be polite, and don't offer to help him out.

I understand a little bit of what you're going through. I have an amateur hour landlord who's wife is the "property manager" and they're both pretty flaky and every text she sends me is vague, grammatically incorrect, and two days late. But she always sends the "??" follow up if I take more than an hour getting back to her.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have access to some high quality printers at school and can print things up to 36" in one length (paper is on a roll). The printing itself is relatively cheap so I'd like to take advantage of it and print some art prints to frame and hang.

Are there any websites where I could find high quality/high dpi free images that are "print ready" that I could just use? Obviously I'm not asking for anything illegal, just "open source" artwork or whatever the proper term is.

I'm looking specifically for more abstract type art.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Add the word "vector" to your internet searches. Or search for filetypes .ai or .eps.

edit: this will create a shitstorm of controversy, but IMHO something that's 300dpi and a reasonable size (12"x"18" or whatever) will actually blow up to wall sized pretty good.If you see those giant prints in Target or trendy restaurants, they are certainly not 300dpi. If you put your nose up to it, you'll see pixels, but upscaling works quite well.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 22, 2017

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
After finding this thread to help me move out of my gooncave and into a gooncave with a nice window. I just wanted to really complain about a stupid landlord which made me angry for almost an entire day.

So I'm looking at places to move into, I view 2 pretty nice places with one just offering a little less than the other so I decide to take it. It has the landlord + 1 room mate already there (who I didn't meet, and if I did would have loving saved me a whole week), and everything seems to go swimmingly, I'm talking to my current landlord into trying to leave a little early to move in with the other place so I'm not paying 2x rent for 2 months. When I get an email from the landlord almost a week later saying females only as the current roommate after talking with the landlord found out she would be uncomfortable with a guy moving in, (technically said something about religion which I'm 90% sure is bullshit but w/e). Well that loving blows my top off as I had to forego the other place, and had to negotiate to my current land lord on moving out early. I talk to the 2nd place and see if its still available and she just signed on a new tenant because I obviously didn't get back to her since I thought the 1st place was a shoo in.

Now if that first landlord had actually talked to her goddamn roommate first it wouldn't have wasted my time and effort, which made me basically give up 2 nice places. It just really rankled on me since if the 1st landlord was upfront with females only I would have passed on it (or not even view it), gone to my 2nd choice, not waste my time and have a nice cave with a window. Instead I'm talking back to my landlord and leaving her in a limbo about when I'm moving out (again), restarting my search, and have to continue in my underground cave.

God just needed to vent about that which really made me off all day, because now I have the fun task of viewing more places to live while also working out of town. So basically viewings only on Saturday and Sunday.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

On the 26th I send my landlord a text asking him if he was going to be meeting me on the 27th to accept the keys to the apartment so I could be finished officially with my move. I ask him if he wants to come personally or have the handyman take them and he says he'll pick them up personally. I tell him I get off at 6am so the sooner we meet the sooner I can be gone. I didn't expect he'd want to meet that early but the idea was that my day was wide open and we could pick a time that worked for him.

No reply.

So today I text him first thing and ask if he had a time picked out yet.

No reply.

I cram my car full and realized I am going to have to make it 2 trips so I immediately text him telling him such and that we should meet up in the afternoon to do the keys.

No reply.

I drop off my stuff and come back to get the last of it... and the handyman has started tearing out the floor. I ask him if he'd talked to the landlord and he said that he called him when he first came into to do the floors and saw my stuff there. The landlord told him to do it anyways. He starts texting the landlord as do I asking him why he's started before I've officially surrendered the keys/apartment.

No reply. To me anyways. Juan tells me that LL said to stop all work. I send him a few more texts and no reply.

Finally at about 6pm he responds that it's no big deal. I tell him that he promised to wait until after I've turned the place over to start, and that had he met me the place would have been his but since he didn't do the turnover with me the place was still mine and his worker entered my place without written notice. Further I told him since we haven't done turnover I'm keeping the place until the 30th and that any other work also requires 24 hour written notice.

No reply.

Edit: if you are wondering why I'm now being a dick about it, it's a 3 hour trip to return the keys now.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 28, 2017

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Mail them

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Edit: if you are wondering why I'm now being a dick about it, it's a 3 hour trip to return the keys now.
Why are you being a dick about it? The floor guy destroying the place clearly absolves you of any damage the LL finds on the walkthrough (surely you took a few photos of Juan tearing up the floors?). Leave the keys on the counter and bid Juan adios.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

photomikey posted:

Why are you being a dick about it? The floor guy destroying the place clearly absolves you of any damage the LL finds on the walkthrough (surely you took a few photos of Juan tearing up the floors?). Leave the keys on the counter and bid Juan adios.

And then the landlord claims they keys were stolen and some kids came in and vandalized the place. Just nope. I'd send them in a registered letter and claim any damages to work being started by the handyman.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

How much, if any, deposit does the landlord have from you?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah I took the normal move out pictures and video to show I hadn't wrecked the place and then I took some of the floor that was being ripped up.

I'm pretty sure that after we left yesterday he had Juan go back in and finish ripping up the floor because the Landlord texted me last night and offered to just change the locks so I didn't have to come back to return the keys and he would 'email me' my full deposit 'sooner than I expect', but again his texts are always awful English and I doubt he's going to rush me a cheque.

The deposit is $750 which is the lowest I've had since I moved to the bay area, most places want deposits equal to the rent.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 28, 2017

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
This guy sounds like an amazing combination of laziness and ignorance.

If he's willing to spot the locksmith charges and give you the full deposit back, jump on that poo poo.

No invoice after 21 days means the LL waives the right to the deposit because you're in CA, but you'd still have to go after him for it, so try to avoid that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Unload My Head posted:

If he's willing to spot the locksmith charges and give you the full deposit back, jump on that poo poo.
If you are moving out on good terms, i.e. at the end of your lease and not breaking a lease, you don't pay to change the locks.

SEKCobra posted:

And then the landlord claims they keys were stolen and some kids came in and vandalized the place. Just nope. I'd send them in a registered letter and claim any damages to work being started by the handyman.
You leave the keys inside, not outside. If someone breaks in, it doesn't have anything to do with the keys being inside - they would have already kicked in the door to get inside.

It is pretty standard practice to leave the keys behind / throw them away / drop them in the mail. In m experience it is much more rare for an in-person handoff, although I do occasionally do one. If mailing makes you feel more comfortable than leaving them in a drawer or whatever, run with that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Whatever way you do it, remember to cover your rear end as much as possible. If you send them, make a signature required for delivery. If you leave them with the handyman, write "With [landlord]'s permission, I gave my keys to [handyman] on 9/28/17, fulfilling my obligations" on a piece of paper, and get him to sign the bottom. If you leave them inside, tell them exactly where and take pics. You can never go wrong with covering your rear end around landlords.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

photomikey posted:

If you are moving out on good terms, i.e. at the end of your lease and not breaking a lease, you don't pay to change the locks.

True, but this is less about what should rightly happen, and more about how big of a slapfight the landlord wants to have, Right now it sounds like he's very amenable, but dumb/lazy. We want to avoid him going full rear end in a top hat and making the OP go to arbitration just to get a lousy $750 bucks back.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Blackchamber posted:

but again his texts are always awful English

If they're not a native speaker they might not be responding because they're uncomfortable with the language for business contexts, especially for written communication where they could be inadvertently saying the wrong thing and you have records to call them out on it later. In practice even native speakers gently caress up all the time if not moreso because of casual language, but someone aware of their language difficulties is always more wary of making mistakes.

Or they're just incompetent. Also a strong possibility.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

isndl posted:

If they're not a native speaker they might not be responding because they're uncomfortable with the language for business contexts, especially for written communication where they could be inadvertently saying the wrong thing and you have records to call them out on it later. In practice even native speakers gently caress up all the time if not moreso because of casual language, but someone aware of their language difficulties is always more wary of making mistakes.

¿Por que no los dos?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

isndl posted:

He speaks English just fine. It's just his texts that come out screwed up because it's like he lets autocorrect or predictive typing do most of the work.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ripped from hangouts.

Sep 27, 7:14 PMvia Project Fi
LL: How about keep the key and I change the lock .
Me: I also have the mail key
LL: I will email the full deposit .
Me: The mailbox key you can just replace?
LL: Ok
Me: Fine sure. I'll take the deposit. If you need the keys after all I'll just mail it to you
LL: Thanks . Win-win
Me: Sure. How will you email it to me?
LL: Yes .sooner than you expect

Today
LL: Did you email the keys ?
Me: You didn't ask me to mail them. You said you were changing the locks.
Me:Are you asking me to mail them then?
LL: I thought you did . Never mind

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
He's a busy guy. Don't take it so personally. Take it personally when he says "but I told you to mail the keys" and that clearly didn't happen.

Treat the guy like he is someone you have a contractual relationship with, not like a flaky friend. If he's flaky, whatever. If he breaks the contract, go after him like a bulldog. Until then... relax.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm relaxed, I just find it amusing and sharing the stupid.

Got this one this morning: "Sorry , we just found out to create mail box key . Can I at lease"

Edit: so he has asked for the return of the mailbox key. I told him that since he was rushing my deposit return I will just mail the keys to his address that's on the cheque.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 5, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I'm relaxed, I just find it amusing and sharing the stupid.
I can appreciate that.

On the landlord side, sometimes n00b landlords obsess over weird poo poo tenants do. All tenants do weird poo poo. It falls into two categories. Actionable weird poo poo and non-actionable weird poo poo. You really have to train yourself to not worry about non-actionable weird poo poo that someone living in your $1m asset is doing. But if you don't, you just drive yourself crazy.

So, as long as you're just amused, and not particularly frustrated... go on with your bad self.

FYI, one of my pettest-peeves is tenants who can't compose a coherent text message. Your LL is a perfect example.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Don't mail the keys unless you require a signature for him to receive them. It's an extra couple bucks for a ton of rear end-covering.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It continues, 7 days into the new renters month and 10 days since I left.

The reason they asked for the mailbox key back is they gave me the only copy. Remember he said he was going to send my deposit 'earlier than I expect', so I tell him I figured since I don't have his address I'd take it from the envelope or the cheque itself when it arrives and I was happy to send it back. I mean if I just send the key back care of my old address it would end up in a locked mailbox nobody could open right?

LL: Blackchamber.i have 30 days to give the deposit. You have no days to give the keys . If you do not send the keys within 3 days . I will take it and labor our of the deposit before I send it.
Me: California allows you only 21 days. You entered my apartment illegally. I have texts from you acknowledging that fact. I have texts from you saying I did not have to return the keys at all and you would return my deposit in full and you would return it 'sooner than I expected'. I didn't think we had an issue. Do we have an issue?

He responded to my above text that I am in violation of the lease and I have 3 days to comply.

Edit: also question. I'm going to be using the upack relocube to move and I need a good lock. Obviously anyone really determined and has the time will find a way in, but I want to have the strongest deterrent possible that says maybe someone else's stuff might be easier to go after. What's the best gently caress off lock I can get?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
You cannot hold the keys in lieu of the deposit, and any previous statements he made would only be hashed out in court, which you don't want to happen because now you're being nakedly spiteful and the judge sees that crap eighty times a day. Just send them certified with a signature required and be done with it.

Also lmao at "violation of the lease" that has already ended.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Send him the mailbox keys and stop bringing up poo poo that you let go by without bringing it up when it happened. If he doesn't get your deposit to you in 21 days, you are scot free. Stop reminding him of that fact. Let him think it's 30. Call him at 25 and surprise him.

Blackchamber posted:

Edit: also question. I'm going to be using the upack relocube to move and I need a good lock. Obviously anyone really determined and has the time will find a way in, but I want to have the strongest deterrent possible that says maybe someone else's stuff might be easier to go after. What's the best gently caress off lock I can get?
I can't tell by googling an image of it, but if you can use a "hidden shackle lock" (google it), those are pretty much impenetrable.

If you can't, then IMHO they are all pretty much the same. The disc ones (google it) are maybe a little harder to cut with bolt cutters or a grinder, but we are talking the difference between 2 seconds and 5 seconds.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

What's the best gently caress off lock I can get?

I don't know but I bet this guy does: https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Apartment hunting in/around Sacramento right now. poo poo is getting pretty brutal with expanding Bay Area influence :( For real if anyone has a lead on studio/1br within 20-30 miles hit me up.

I hate my life.