Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Regarding bullies in adulthood, the 1st season of Fargo was kind of realistic. Sam Hess intimidates Lester, but isn’t actually violent. Lester gets injured as a reaction to his bully’s behavior - whose smart enough to not actually beat up his target. Real bullies just change their tactics.

And then get stabbed in the back of the head while screwing a stripper because their victim befriends that guy from Slingblade, but that was less realistic.

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly the Flanders family and the Lovejoys are great examples of being "Good" in a christian sense turning people into terrible people - the Lovejoys are overly judgemental hypocrites with Helen being an utterly unlikable harpy, and even the Reverend thinks Flanders is an rear end in a top hat. Flanders is the kind of man at this point who is a (bad) christian first and a father second, if Rod or Todd ever did develop in a way that wasn't strictly adhering to heteronormativity Ned would totally make things worse.

Huh. I guess I haven’t watched the Simpsons in a while. I always thought Flanders was the moral compass of the show with Lovejoy a figurehead. I’d say I need to catch up on my Simpsons, but that’d mean watching anything past season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Early Flanders is a pretty normal dude but gets irritated with Homer plenty, he doesn't start off saying "ding dang doodily" while homer is pissing on his front door or whatever. The episode where Todd and Bart go head to head in crazy-golf is a good example of this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Huh. I guess I haven’t watched the Simpsons in a while. I always thought Flanders was the moral compass of the show with Lovejoy a figurehead. I’d say I need to catch up on my Simpsons, but that’d mean watching anything past season 5.

Which would be a good idea, since the show is just hitting it's stride around then and doesn't start slowing until prob 9

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was "Hurricane Neddy" a season eight episode? I remember reading that Oakley and Weinstein were using a lot of the season eight episodes to make self-referential jokes about the show itself and that's one that falls into that category (the most famous one is "Homer's Enemy" but "The Principal and the Pauper" was a season eight episode which got held over to season nine).

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

I’d say I need to catch up on my Simpsons, but :siren::siren::siren:that’d mean watching anything past season 5:siren::siren::siren:

Jesus Christ the things I'd give to have 5 seasons of prime Simpsons still ahead of me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“married but discreet”" post="“476512470”"]
Jesus Christ the things I’d give to have 5 seasons of prime Simpsons still ahead of me.
[/quote]

Dude, I’ve never even watched the Wire and I’m only 5 episodes into Mad Men. I’ve got so much good TV ahead of me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It was interesting going through the Every Simpsons Ever marathon that FX did a little while back, because as a kid I didn't notice any real drop in quality. There were episodes I didn't like, sure, but for the most part, I still enjoyed it.

And then, over the course of the marathon, I started to realize that most of the episodes I remember not liking came from later seasons, and there's an almost visible delineation between Oakley/Weinstein's last episodes and the start of the decline. It was almost heartbreaking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Dude, I’ve never even watched the Wire and I’m only 5 episodes into Mad Men. I’ve got so much good TV ahead of me.

Be sure to binge The Wire or any other HBO shows you've been meaning to see on Amazon Prime before they leave next year. That announcement finally got me to watch The Wire. It was fantastic. I'm wondering if it'll get a revival now that everything else is.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Kareem posted:

Regarding bullies in adulthood, the 1st season of Fargo was kind of realistic. Sam Hess intimidates Lester, but isn’t actually violent. Lester gets injured as a reaction to his bully’s behavior - whose smart enough to not actually beat up his target. Real bullies just change their tactics.

And then get stabbed in the back of the head while screwing a stripper because their victim befriends that guy from Slingblade, but that was less realistic.

Agreed. That confrontation was so good in setting the characters and the interaction was pretty real how a grown-up bully works, especially with his two sons also being fat idiot bullies.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone mentioned that simpsons episode where Bart's in a boy band?

Where the climax of the episode is that, as well as being exposed for using auto-tune, Mad Magazine are lampooning them, which means they're ruined, so their manager commandeers a naval carrier to blow up the headquarters in New York City.

Guest starring N'Sync.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Has anyone mentioned that simpsons episode where Bart's in a boy band?

Where the climax of the episode is that, as well as being exposed for using auto-tune, Mad Magazine are lampooning them, which means they're ruined, so their manager commandeers a naval carrier to blow up the headquarters in New York City.

Guest starring N'Sync.

Yvan eht nioj. :smuggo:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

no they definitely turned him into a parody of ridiculous american christianity at some point, like he doesn't vaccinate his kids letting them get to near-death, he's a staunch science-denying creationist, he thinks harry potter and other fantastic medias are examples of devil worship, etc, etc, etc

he's more likely to be seen doing something ignorant and harmful to himself or others these days

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's got an entire term (Flanderization) named after him used to describe when a complex nuanced character gets reduced to a single personality trait or buzzword over the course of a fictional work

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I think some of it has to do with timing.

The show had started going to poo poo from running out of ideas right around the same time that Bush 43 was elected president and right-wing evangelical christianity became more mainstream and had become a part of cultural conversation (documentaries like Jesus Camp and such). So the Simpsons already had this christian character, and at the same time there was an increased awareness in the coasts of this highly political religious movement in "flyover country" that's trying to make America more like their ideal.

Like the peak example of that was some episode where Ned got Kent Brockman pulled off the air for some reason and the episode turned Brockman into an Edward R Murrow stand-in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inescapable Duck posted:

Frasier had an episode with both boys dealing with their old high school bullies (one of whom was played by Dr Cox, which is hilariously jarring) who they've hired as plumbers. I think the former bully and Niles end up reconciling and settling things like mature adults while Frasier probably got his rear end kicked. (Or the other way around. Oddly enough, Niles was more eccentric day-to-day but usually showed common sense when pressed, while Frasier tended to become more irrational quickly)

I rewatched that episode just yesterday because Frasier is so good but the circumstances are that Niles wants to do harm to his old bully but Frasier convinces him to talk to him which leads to Niles psychoanalysing him and forgiving him while Frasier ends up doing physical harm to his bully because the show is the operational definition of a comedic farce and everyone should watch it

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I kind of want to give Flanders' hyper-Christianity a pass when God directly intervenes on his behalf, at his request. That's bound influence your world-view a bunch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the crassening of the Simpsons was part of its downfall too. Once they showed Ned's doodle on TV it was the end of an era.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I think the crassening of the Simpsons was part of its downfall too. Once they showed Ned's doodle on TV it was the end of an era.

No footlongs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny given iirc, a lot of episodes allude to Homer and Marge having an active sex life. (most of the time)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Bloop posted:

That's also out of character for Ned, there was an episode that established that he bathes in his swimming trunks so that he can't see his own giblets. Which can't be hygenic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Principal and the Pauper" is one that I know a lot of people hate because it's a big joke about the virtually non-existent continuity of the show and how it resets each week, but would it be as hated if it had run in season eight alongside "Homer's Enemy" and "Hurricane Neddy" and "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show" which were doing self-referential stuff instead of kicking off season nine, which fortuitously places it exactly at what's widely seen as the tipping point for the show?

(Personally I'm not keen on it because I just don't think it's a very funny episode - I'm not too bothered about whether it changes continuity or anything like that.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Can I borrow your copy of Spank, Armand?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I didn't mind Principal and the Pauper that much, but it also wasn't particularly funny. It was supposed to have been a season 8 episode, and was O&W's last, but some sort of scheduling thing got it pushed back to season 9. If it hadn't been so early in the season, it may have been more kindly looked upon. Or maybe if it had followed a worse episode than Homer vs New York.

I don't know that I'm a good enough Simpsons fan, though, because apparently a lot of people don't like Homer's Enemy, but it's one of my all-time favorite episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's great but I know a lot of people think it's too dark.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

Early Flanders is a pretty normal dude but gets irritated with Homer plenty, he doesn't start off saying "ding dang doodily" while homer is pissing on his front door or whatever. The episode where Todd and Bart go head to head in crazy-golf is a good example of this.

where the heck do you live that mini golf is called crazy golf

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's great but I know a lot of people think it's too dark.

I don't think it's any darker than early Simpsons where Homer smashes Bart's piggy bank open to buy a beer and then attempts suicide

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

where the heck do you live that mini golf is called crazy golf

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind earlier this month and he called it "Goofy Golf."

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I grew up calling it Putt-Putt.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mini-golf is when you've got a series of 18 holes but crazy golf is when you've got a series of 18 holes with windmills and castles and pirate ships built over them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Missing Link posted:

I grew up calling it Putt-Putt.

I did this, too. Putt-Putt is a brand name, though, like Thermos or Dumpster. The Putt-Putt Golf 'n Games in the next town over was the closest thing to mini or goofy golf we had before having to go into another state.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Be sure to binge The Wire or any other HBO shows you've been meaning to see on Amazon Prime before they leave next year. That announcement finally got me to watch The Wire. It was fantastic. I'm wondering if it'll get a revival now that everything else is.

It won't and it doesn't need one. There are plenty of other David Simon shows out there (including The Deuce, now airing!) that will satiate your desire to feel powerless and crushed by the cyclical nature of institutions.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The Principal and the Pauper" is one that I know a lot of people hate because it's a big joke about the virtually non-existent continuity of the show and how it resets each week, but would it be as hated if it had run in season eight alongside "Homer's Enemy" and "Hurricane Neddy" and "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show" which were doing self-referential stuff instead of kicking off season nine, which fortuitously places it exactly at what's widely seen as the tipping point for the show?

(Personally I'm not keen on it because I just don't think it's a very funny episode - I'm not too bothered about whether it changes continuity or anything like that.)

I like it - it's got a lot of really funny bits.

"When I grow up, I want to be a principal or a caterpillar!"
"My theory is Skinner likes dog food."/"Ooh, a fresh batch of America Balls!"
"Keep looking shocked and move slowly towards the cake."
"That's the kind of talk that makes me want to marry you. But instead, I'm leaving town forever."

I think it gets singled out mostly because the show itself makes fun of it in "Behind the Laughter", so people remember it more.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Salami posted:

I think it gets singled out mostly because the show itself makes fun of it in "Behind the Laughter", so people remember it more.

I've heard there was actual outrage over the desecration of the show's rich lore, but that's second hand so grain of salt. It was actually one of the first Simpsons episodes I ever saw and I liked it well enough, perhaps because I hadn't built up any prior attachment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly find it amusing that Skinner picks right back up on his life as a New Orleans greaser despite having done a complete 180 in attitude from those days. (and again in the Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase)

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
In his heart, he's always been a small-time hustler. That was another one of the first Simpsons episodes I saw.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

These people who don't like The Principal and the Pauper obviously haven't had their morning cup of coffee flavored beverine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One joke from the Simpsons which Josh Weinstein himself called out after the fact as one of their most dated was Bart's new school in Cypress Creek (from "You Only Move Twice") having a web address as proof of how utopian and perfect it was, because that was a complete novelty in 1996.

Did any science-fiction shows or books or movies more or less accurately predict the Internet and how important a part of everyday life it would become? I ask because I remmeber one author (might have been William Gibson) lamenting that the one thing he regretted about the visions of the future he featured in his work was that he never anticipated anything like the modern Internet but had no idea why he didn't when it seems so obvious in retrospect.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SNOW CRASH is still the gold standard for internet predictions.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
David Brin's Earth did a pretty good job predicting the general trend of internet culture, including trolling, the difficulty of finding relevant information and even (arguably) fursonas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ender's Game predicted internet and tablets pretty well