Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Bootcha posted:

Well, there's always this favorite of mine.

Galarox is a freaking thread hero. His photoshop skills are insane. I can't find my archive, does anyone have the Sgt. Pepper's one?

He also did a bunch of voice acting for Solar Plebeian.

Pre-pre-pre-alpha comedy mix: https://soundcloud.com/user-455463481/landing-successf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I try to make funny 'shops when the thread slows down but they take me hours and they aren't very funny. But hey, at least it's not r/ds screengrabs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

I try to make funny 'shops when the thread slows down but they take me hours and they aren't very funny. But hey, at least it's not r/ds screengrabs.

Just photoshop chris's head on a bear or something, it'll be good no worries

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I heard of Line of Defense when I first started following this because of the Escapist article almost two years ago and I still don't understand what Line of Defense is supposed to actually be.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Like, I spent at least an hour pixel editing the text on this. I should be working on Solar Plebeian wtf am I doing with my life

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops posted:

Galarox is a freaking thread hero. His photoshop skills are insane. I can't find my archive, does anyone have the Sgt. Pepper's one?

Pre-pre-pre-alpha comedy mix: https://soundcloud.com/user-455463481/landing-successf

Galarox posted:

Ok just because I can and there are some peeps who haven't seen it and Beet mentioned it:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Danknificent posted:

I heard of Line of Defense when I first started following this because of the Escapist article almost two years ago and I still don't understand what Line of Defense is supposed to actually be.

I first heard about Derek on MMORPG in the Algenon forums and honestly he hasn't stopped making me laugh ever since

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

Like, I spent at least an hour pixel editing the text on this. I should be working on Solar Plebeian wtf am I doing with my life

Needs more bears

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
Unless the citizens start talking violence you should let them post as much as humanly possible. Nothing encourages people on the fence to GTFO than cult stuff like that.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
A++ Mirificus, you should work for the SEC or something.

But just, sweet christ this is a masterpiece.

Galarox posted:

Ok just because I can and there are some peeps who haven't seen it and Beet mentioned it:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

Needs more bears

alright start the timer.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Slow_Moe posted:

The best poutine is made with blue cheese and pineapples.

poutine is disgusting and i am Canadian.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

peter gabriel posted:

I first heard about Derek on MMORPG in the Algenon forums and honestly he hasn't stopped making me laugh ever since

:same:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

mmorpg.com is a cesspool so dsmart was really in his element on that site

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I should shop some dumb pictures again

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/B5Lt4uu.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/9yZCQDy.gifv

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hahahahahahaha ok this one's good.

Wing Commander (Movie)

Released: March 12, 1999

18 User Reviews

6 Negative
9 Mixed
3 Positive

1 Negative review was posted in 2011

Negative Reviews:

"The smallest, faintest glimmer of hope that one day, perhaps one day there could be a good movie adapted from a video game died with the release of Wing Commander. Well, what did you expect when you picked the cast of Scooby-Doo to be your action stars.…"

2 Mixed reviews were posted in 2006
1 Mixed review was posted in 2016
1 Mixed review was posted on 12 January 2017
4 Mixed reviews were posted on 14 January 2017 :siren:
1 Mixed review was posted on 31 January 2017

Mixed Reviews:

"The script too often sounds like an encrypted communique itself, and it's tiring trying to keep all the nonsensical space-jargon straight. The effort is more demanding than hanging onto a joystick, and not entirely worth the effort."
^^^
This review was posted 6 times, copy-paste

"I haven't seen it, but Wing Commander does have a reputation of being one of the worst video game movies Hollywood has crapped on. However, I have to lay low for a minute because I think it's a awfully but decently good bad movie. Wing Commander was everything full of awful in this so-called science fiction movie. The special effects are barely hard to watch, the pacing of the film just completely off the ground up, and although both Freddie Prinze Jr. And Matthew Lillard (both from Scooby-Doo) tried everything they can to make this movie more or less like a autopilot rerun of Battlestar Galactica. But still the acting is bad and the movie is completely forgotten, but as a fan of terrible b-movies of the 90's, maybe I'll give it a shot by renting this dumbload.…"

What?

"I'm not surprised the movie was critically panned. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself."

"It really saddends me to see this film here. Let me break it down: the settings and scenery and especially the Kilrathi (cat-people) costumes were clearly produced on a low budget. That's the bad part. The good part? The acting, which was solid the entire way through. It's really not that bad a film, but perhaps one needs to see really bad films to realize that."

2 Positive reviews were posted in 2013, and 2014
1 Positive review was posted in 2007

Positive Review:

"Brilliantly scripted and marvelously acted Sci-Fi movie based on the all-time favorite PC-game. The intense combination of an intergalactic war-story and a classic Shakespearian love-tale makes this movie an adrenaline-pumping tears-jerker of historical proportion. Mankind can traverse the darkest depths of space, it will always bring along its emotions! The Kilrathi character-depth is the secret of its success, diminishing the personality of Hamlet to a superficial cartoon-character. While the lines spoken by the Kilrathi have the rhythm of a Swiss watch, it is the depth of their meanings that truly fascinates. Only repeated viewing can reveal the many layers of its message. Once discovered, your will agree that this is what takes Wing Commander beyond the level of the greatest classics of Hollywood or even global cinema. The people of the future will divide human history in the pre-Wing Commander era (or the Dark Age) and the post-Wing Commander era, when humanity finally became enlightened by this masterpiece and its powerful message. At a lower level, you are bound to forget the part of your life that was spent - wasted really - before you could become a wittness yourself to the brillance that is Wing Commander. Oscars may be awarded for artistry in film-making, only a Nobel Prize (or several) could do justice to the levels of excellence reached by Wing Commander. This production will no-doubt be remembered by the many generations to come as a turning point in movie-making. Its message, when correctly interpreted, will influence society as only the Holy Bible may have done before. Be ready to experience never-felt-before emotions as you watch this hallmark movie over and over again. It will leave its tracks on your soul."

"A better film than it's often given credit for, you don't need any knowledge of the (now long forgotten) game franchise to enjoy this thrilling sci-fi epic. When you see the space battles involving carriers and fighters firing torpedoes at each other you will instantly see where the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica got a lot of its ideas from. The aliens are disappointing and the love story is a bit meh. Other than that, you might be surprised at how much you enjoy this film."

"If you are a space combat sim fan and don't care about the deviation from the original Wing Commander series this film is definitely for you. Straight plot, no hidden meaning, nice special effects (sometimes overdone, sometimes underdeveloped, but who cares?). I have been a big fan of this film since I was a teenager. I am genuinely surprised to find the rating of this film being so low. It's definitely watchable and enjoyable, many films here with much better rating are actually worse."

Wing Commander had a budget of 30 million in 1999.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:lol: sure I've seen animated reddit banners

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm a bit worried this project may not pan out after all, goons

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
needs more cowbell. full burn pics please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilrtIM0EiUs
poped up for VR ^^ but Konami.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 19, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

intardnation posted:

poutine is disgusting and i am Canadian.

:getout:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Already seriously, who's playing the long con with that positive review of Wing Commander, a movie comparable to the Bible.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
I find the whole "No bad-talking your company in public!" thing really loving creepy. I just had to sign a bullshit statement at the store I work at informing me that if I ever post online about the company, I have to id myself as an employee of the company, state that the views are my own, and even then if I ever say anything bad about them I can be fired. gently caress off, I only represent you when I'm at work, in uniform. You've got no right to control what comes out of my mouth before I punch in or after I punch out. Don't like it? Fire me. Except you can't, because the store is already understaffed and nobody else is willing to work for you in the area.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Wing Commander the movie is a great glimpse into the wonders of what Chris thinks is cool and good

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Already seriously, who's playing the long con with that positive review of Wing Commander, a movie comparable to the Bible.

It was probably :lesnick:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFonNn6Vkc&t=2392s

Being out of this for so long I don't pick stuff up like this anymore.

2012, CIG uses LTI during the kickstarter to raise money (last chance for LTI).
2013 CIG allows original backers to buy LTI items for another year and "gift" the items to new backers (last chance for LTI).
2014 CIG brings out CCU, cross chassis upgrades, turn LTI small ship into more expensive bigger LTI ship (last chance for LTI)
2014 Concept ships will still have LTI (last chance for LTI)
According to above, 2017 CIG stops offering CCU upgrades to limited sale ships, so instead people have to purchase the entire ship, raises more money, you've making someone buy an expensive ship instead of upgrade something they already have.

Note, this guy is out for so short a time he thinks LTI is important and actually thinks buying a 2nd hand ship is a good idea (no refunds).

This video is quite interesting and probably shows the thoughts of many early backers. I'm glad the guy got some of his money back, by the sound of it.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I like the part in wing commander when the bulldozer pushed the spaceship into space and it fell down.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

How did Crobbers get a studio to give him 30 million dollars, when his only directing experience was some cut scenes for a game?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How often do you think Roberts suggests some "cool" wingcommander easter egg in SC?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BeigeJacket posted:

How did Crobbers get a studio to give him 30 million dollars, when his only directing experience was some cut scenes for a game?

The man oozes charisma; all except FUD goonies are helpless to resist the sheer charm coming off of him

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BeigeJacket posted:

I dunno but I am picturing Mark Hamil being rolled out on casters in the pitch meeting

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Quavers posted:

How the hardcore Citizens haven't clicked that Bribase and Skormfuse are goon plants I'll never know. Everytime one of them subtly continues a "drama" discussion, like refunds, I'm on tenterhooks that they'll finally be caught out :suspense:

e:

I've literally posted several times that I am Cymelion but they still haven't caught on. I'm having him take a "short break until 3.0" though. Because writing that many paragraphs has made me mentally ill.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is a slice into a horrible person. I'm sad to have to see it in the thread. :(

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

This is a slice into a horrible person. I'm sad to have to see it in the thread. :(

Don't be sad, be happy. Happy that his insanity has been seen by a wider audience, normal people will point, laugh and mock him and the idiots who don't get it will go back to /r/ds

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Toops posted:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

peter gabriel posted:

Imagine being a dude who bought a jpeg with bitcoin ha ha

I really don't want to imagine being that disgusting pedo Seraph, thanks.

The Titanic posted:

Or this guy. Let's try and keep the horrible person stuff a bit more on the lowdown, please? I come here to be amused at people's stupidity first and by this point just assume their RL awfulness rather than keep being reminded of it. :(

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 19, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFonNn6Vkc&t=2392s

Being out of this for so long I don't pick stuff up like this anymore.

2012, CIG uses LTI during the kickstarter to raise money (last chance for LTI).
2013 CIG allows original backers to buy LTI items for another year and "gift" the items to new backers (last chance for LTI).
2014 CIG brings out CCU, cross chassis upgrades, turn LTI small ship into more expensive bigger LTI ship (last chance for LTI)
2014 Concept ships will still have LTI (last chance for LTI)
According to above, 2017 CIG stops offering CCU upgrades to limited sale ships, so instead people have to purchase the entire ship, raises more money, you've making someone buy an expensive ship instead of upgrade something they already have.

Note, this guy is out for so short a time he thinks LTI is important and actually thinks buying a 2nd hand ship is a good idea (no refunds).

Also important to note over the course of this timeline and today: Nobody actually knows what LTI will do.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Pilz posted:

I find the whole "No bad-talking your company in public!" thing really loving creepy. I just had to sign a bullshit statement at the store I work at informing me that if I ever post online about the company, I have to id myself as an employee of the company, state that the views are my own, and even then if I ever say anything bad about them I can be fired. gently caress off, I only represent you when I'm at work, in uniform. You've got no right to control what comes out of my mouth before I punch in or after I punch out. Don't like it? Fire me. Except you can't, because the store is already understaffed and nobody else is willing to work for you in the area.

loving right! You forgot to name the store, though.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Also important to note over the course of this timeline and today: Nobody actually knows what LTI will do.

Long-Term Income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Holy poo poo, now this...man...my old AV...I kinda also feel silly for being able to name at least half the AVs by the regular that wore it.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 19, 2017