Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wonder if they'll do Hancock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
2008 movies, you say?

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
Jumper (god, I hate that movie)
Wanted
The X-Files: I Want to Believe (aka: the really boring X-Files episode)
Babylon A.D. (Vinn Diesel AND Gérard Depardieu?!?!)
Max Payne (terrible movie but it means more Donny Wahlberg and Goober and the Herculoids)
Also:
Mother loving Rambo, which would be a We Love Movies, simply because its so violent and wrong.

2008 really felt like we were just about done burning off Matrix-style actions movies that felt like they came out in the 90's

edit: gently caress, I forgot about Meet Dave and Swing State.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 19, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
In fairness to Wanted it can't be as bad as the absolute loving shitheap of a comic it's based on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

2008 movies, you say?

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
Jumper (god, I hate that movie)
Wanted
The X-Files: I Want to Believe (aka: the really boring X-Files episode)
Babylon A.D. (Vinn Diesel AND Gérard Depardieu?!?!)
Max Payne (terrible movie but it means more Donny Wahlberg and Goober and the Herculoids)
Also:
Mother loving Rambo, which would be a We Love Movies, simply because its so violent and wrong.

2008 really felt like we were just about done burning off Matrix-style actions movies that felt like they came out in the 90's

edit: gently caress, I forgot about Meet Dave and Swing State.

Rambo is one of the goriest movies I've ever seen. I think they spent the first, like, 5-10 minutes setting up the Myanmar army as the worst people in the history of the world just so you'd be okay when Rambo starts slaughtering them wholesale. He turns a minigun against one guy at basically point blank range, and entrails go flying.

That movie is...quite something to behold.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

In fairness to Wanted it can't be as bad as the absolute loving shitheap of a comic it's based on.
I'd only want them to do Wanted if Steve's actually read the original comic, because I would love to hear him try to explain that poo poo to the guys.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd only want them to do Wanted if Steve's actually read the original comic, because I would love to hear him try to explain that poo poo to the guys.

The last page of Wanted is one of those rare times where I felt second hand humiliation for the author. Man, he thought that poo poo was so badass huh?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

You can't start an "In fairness" and end it with "not as bad as Marc Millar". Like, I'd hope not. Any film adaptation of Millar is bound to be better than the source material. Only comic of his I could even stomach was Huck. The rest is edgy tryhard garbage ala Garth Ennis and Frank Miller.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Man, he thought that poo poo was so badass huh?

MarkMillar.txt right there.

I mean, he's done some good stuff, but yeah too often he comes across as someone trying to be edgy and shocking for no other reason than to be edgy and shocking. Like the original Old Man Logan; it's a good take on the idea of a post-apocalyptic superhero world, you have Logan and Hawkeye doing a cross-country thing, very Western vibe, then we get into Bruce Banner's inbred hick Hulk family.

Or, as a better example, the entirety of Nemesis.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You can't start an "In fairness" and end it with "not as bad as Marc Millar". Like, I'd hope not. Any film adaptation of Millar is bound to be better than the source material. Only comic of his I could even stomach was Huck. The rest is edgy tryhard garbage ala Garth Ennis and Frank Miller.

Ennis at least has the best Punisher run of all time under his belt. Hell, his Punisher run is in the running for one of the most consistently amazing runs of a comic ever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll disagree about Kick-rear end the movie being better than the comic (I mean, they're both really bad), only because at least in the comic there was the realistic reaction when Kick-rear end told his non-girlfriend he wasn't really gay and was just pretending to be close to her. As in, she told him to gently caress off and had her new actual boyfriend beat the poo poo out of him.

Also the comic didn't make him a murderer by mowing down a bunch of guys with a loving jetpack armed with machine guns like it's no big deal, either.

I realize this is probably the faintest praise I could give the movie, but still.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'll defend Garth Ennis, but Miller/Millar can play bumper cars in hell.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll disagree about Kick-rear end the movie being better than the comic (I mean, they're both really bad), only because at least in the comic there was the realistic reaction when Kick-rear end told his non-girlfriend he wasn't really gay and was just pretending to be close to her. As in, she told him to gently caress off and had her new actual boyfriend beat the poo poo out of him.

Also the comic didn't make him a murderer by mowing down a bunch of guys with a loving jetpack armed with machine guns like it's no big deal, either.

I realize this is probably the faintest praise I could give the movie, but still.

Then in Kick-rear end 2 her entire family is murdered and then she's raped.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Then in Kick-rear end 2 her entire family is murdered and then she's raped.
Of course they were, and of course she was.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fart City posted:

I'll defend Garth Ennis, but Miller/Millar can play bumper cars in hell.
I liked Preacher when I was like 17 to be sure but revisiting it and then also trying to read The Boys...yah I'm happy including him in the edgy tryhard list

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also in 1 she texts Kickass pictures of her sucking her boyfriend's dick because????

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Also in 1 she texts Kickass pictures of her sucking her boyfriend's dick because????

Because Miller had a glimmer of an okay idea in "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if our 'hero' did some stupid poo poo he thought was romantic and it backfired on him and caused the girl he loved to hate him?" so he had to ruin it by taking it like 50 steps past where it needed to go.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I liked Preacher when I was like 17 to be sure but revisiting it and then also trying to read The Boys...yah I'm happy including him in the edgy tryhard list

As has been already mentioned, his run on Punisher is largely top-tier stuff, as is his work on Hellblazer. He also did a World War II series-Battlefields-that is very good. Ennis certainly has his edgy side, and a lot of his career has been built on that, but he's also a legit good writer who runs laps around the other two when he writes sincerely.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Just don't let Ennis near superheroes and you're golden. We loving get it dude, you think super heroes are lame we don't need another comic where you make Wolverine gay and a total loser who smells his own farts because he's a big dork loser.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Just don't let Ennis near superheroes and you're golden. We loving get it dude, you think super heroes are lame we don't need another comic where you make Wolverine gay and a total loser who smells his own farts because he's a big dork loser.

Unless your superman as seen in hitman

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fart City posted:

As has been already mentioned, his run on Punisher is largely top-tier stuff, as is his work on Hellblazer. He also did a World War II series-Battlefields-that is very good. Ennis certainly has his edgy side, and a lot of his career has been built on that, but he's also a legit good writer who runs laps around the other two when he writes sincerely.
Fair enough, these are all Ennis things I haven't read since I was never really into comics that much. I'll check em out. The Boys was just such Marc Millar-esque garbage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

The Love Guru and Postal both came out that year, which are both certainly worthy of scorn. But I feel like there's good money on them doing Speed Racer. It's a divisive film and has its defenders, but it would give them pleeeenty to talk about.

I'm 99% sure at least one or two of them have professed their love for Speed Racer after a tall glass of water. But it would make a great episode.

Love Guru has got to happen though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I want him to try and explain the villain made of actual poo poo that they defeat with household cleaners and bleach.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I'm 99% sure at least one or two of them have professed their love for Speed Racer after a tall glass of water. But it would make a great episode.

Love Guru has got to happen though.

They're always miserable when they do bad comedies

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Apes-Ma posted:

Gran Torino :getin:

Not a 2008 film, but I really want them to do Rock A Doodle. It was a childhood staple that I recently revisited due to nostalgia, and I realized that the film is not only bad, it's batshit crazy.

Has Don Bluth ever made a cartoon that wasn't a loving nightmare? Maybe The Land Before Time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

Has Don Bluth ever made a cartoon that wasn't a loving nightmare? Maybe The Land Before Time.

The nightmare happened off screen with that one.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Love Guru better make it in this year

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
A Mike Myers Double Feature. First week do Love Guru, the second week do Cat in the Hat. See if anybody can make it through both.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dmitri-9 posted:

Nightmare as in weird fever dream, or nightmare as in clearly too loving scary for kids? Because LBT had to have like 15 minutes cut out, including changing the ending, for the latter reason.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nightmare as in weird fever dream, or nightmare as in clearly too loving scary for kids? Because LBT had to have like 15 minutes cut out, including changing the ending, for the latter reason.

Hard to believe, considering the vision of Hell in All Dogs Go To Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUNnHt2N-E

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Croisquessein posted:

Hard to believe, considering the vision of Hell in All Dogs Go To Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUNnHt2N-E

http://lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time_(Original_Uncut_Version)

Basically, Spielberg and Lucas saw an early rough cut of the movie, saw the Sharptooth stuff that got cut, and went "okay this movie is for an audience of near-toddlers, this is going to loving traumatize them" and had a few specific shots cut out (apparently less than a minute in total) relating to that. Then the movie went to test screenings at a length of about 80-82 minutes, still terrified kids, and everyone involved went into panic mode and started hacking the movie to pieces. It's actually kind of funny you mention the Hell sequence from All Dogs, because that was cut down pretty badly from the original too for similar reasons (and they just found the uncut footage of it last year); it's just less of a movie-destroying edit than what happened to LBT.

It's honestly a miracle that LBT is still as good as it is, and I'm honestly pretty hype for the original edit to get dug up because it's probably incredible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dmitri-9 posted:

His later (worse) movies lightened up, like Titan A.E. and Anastasia. Which proves that you want Don Bluth giving children nightmares.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Mastermind posted:

A special double length episode with 40 minutes devoted simply to Steve describing the author's attempts to cast the movie himself. Man, how much would that movie have cost if the studio actually had to pay for that cast?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gyges posted:

A special double length episode with 40 minutes devoted simply to Steve describing the author's attempts to cast the movie himself. Man, how much would that movie have cost if the studio actually had to pay for that cast?

tell me more about this author casting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Super Fan posted:

They're always miserable when they do bad comedies

Yes, that's why it's great!

OR WHO THE gently caress EVER COULD POSSIBLY CARE

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

well why not posted:

Two of the protagonists are clearly drawn to resemble Eminem and Halle Berry

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I hope they do The Spirit. One of my favorite bad movies, and against all odds is less racist than the source material despite being podcast favorite Frank Miller's directorial debut.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
After finally listening to the last mailbag episode I totally want to make a lyrical version of their theme

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

well why not posted:

Virtually every character who had decent significance to the plot was clearly drawn as a celebrity. It's been a long rear end time since I read it, but aside from the aforementioned leads of Halle Berry(in a catwoman costume no less) and Eminem I can only remember that Gene Hackmen was also used. Keep in mind this isn't a case of oh, yeah, I can see how those characters look like a celebrity. It was drat near photoshop filters of famous people's faces at times.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 22, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I can't wait for Samurai Cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

Virtually every character who had decent significance to the plot was clearly drawn as a celebrity. It's been a long rear end time since I read it, but aside from the aforementioned leads of Halle Berry(in a catwoman costume no less) and Eminem I can only remember that Gene Hackmen was also used. Keep in mind this isn't a case of oh, yeah, I can see how those characters look like a celebrity. It was drat near photoshop filters of famous people's faces at times.

Also this is the exact same reason Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury.