Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Last Chance posted:

Ender's Game predicted internet and tablets pretty well

I think he went overboard in that a few blog posts by Peter and Valentine made them some of the most powerful people on Earth and it eventually made Peter ruler. Like they would stand out that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bean_shadow posted:

I think he went overboard in that a few blog posts by Peter and Valentine made them some of the most powerful people on Earth and it eventually made Peter ruler. Like they would stand out that much.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/610838591242137600

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bean_shadow posted:

Sure, but the technology of people reading the news on their "desk" and sending instant messages of literally :dong: was pretty spot on

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

well why not posted:

SNOW CRASH is still the gold standard for internet predictions.

Yeah it contains basically an exact description of Google Earth but was written in what, 1992?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

One joke from the Simpsons which Josh Weinstein himself called out after the fact as one of their most dated was Bart's new school in Cypress Creek (from "You Only Move Twice") having a web address as proof of how utopian and perfect it was, because that was a complete novelty in 1996.

In Perfect Blue one of the character has a long monologue about how you install and use internet.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

The Bloop posted:

Sure, but the technology of people reading the news on their "desk" and sending instant messages of literally :dong: was pretty spot on

True.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Meanwhile, 400 years in the future on Star Trek, everyone uses PADDs for all their documents. One document, one PADD.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Mind posted:

Meanwhile, 400 years in the future on Star Trek, everyone uses PADDs for all their documents. One document, one PADD.

Obviously, requirements of a Starfleet captain is such that even PADDs, with several yottabytes of storage, can't contain everything in one unit, and we'd all understand this if we were enlightened 24th century superhumans too.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

TenCentFang posted:

Obviously, requirements of a Starfleet captain is such that even PADDs, with several yottabytes of storage, can't contain everything in one unit, and we'd all understand this if we were enlightened 24th century superhumans too.

Riker, Troy, and Worf were clearly all using those to play 24th century Candy Crush, and Picard had to confiscate them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mister Mind posted:

If we lived in a post-scarcity society we'd all be using 5 ipads at once, too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Logan’s Run did a good job of predicting Tinder.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Riptor posted:

Yeah it contains basically an exact description of Google Earth but was written in what, 1992?

Second Life, too. That's basically what the Metaverse is.

Hell, the gargoyle stuff is basically Google Glass.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm not sure if the sopranos episode about columbus day was ever relevant but it sure seems silly now. Definitely a standout in terms of "wtf were they thinking with this oe".

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Although on the other hand, if something were written about SecondLife now, it'd be woefully dated.

Oh hey remember this :allears:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mister Mind posted:

Honestly, if I'm working from multiple documents then I find it way easier to have them both on separate screens* than it is to keep flicking back and forth on the same screen, so that seems reasonable to me.

*I mean, I generally print poo poo out in this case, but y'know, star trek. Although couldnt they use a replicator as a printer if they needed a hard copy of a document?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Could also be separate datapads from separate divisions. They might have a few to work on themselves, and then one or two they use specifically to present findings to Picard.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if i could have infinite free ipads i'd probably never use the multitasking features, i'd just have like 9

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, if I'm working from multiple documents then I find it way easier to have them both on separate screens* than it is to keep flicking back and forth on the same screen, so that seems reasonable to me.

*I mean, I generally print poo poo out in this case, but y'know, star trek. Although couldnt they use a replicator as a printer if they needed a hard copy of a document?

Picard ordered printouts and hand delivery of orders in season one once.

I'm sure there is a whole bay of tractor feed dot matrix printers on the same deck as cetacean ops.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Mister Mind posted:

Good to know in the future we'll have upgraded to the technological level of the Flintstones.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

Picard ordered printouts and hand delivery of orders in season one once.

I'm sure there is a whole bay of tractor feed dot matrix printers on the same deck as cetacean ops.

I can't remember what it was, but I know I've seen a Star Trek book from the 80s or 70s where Kirk's Enterprise had a primitive message board system, and crewmembers using it so much was hogging all the RAM.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
"Computer, please give me this morning's briefings on the current status of Engineering, Stellar Cartography, and Sickbay. Also updates on the Dominion conflict, headlines from Le Monde, and all secure messages from Starfleet Headquarters."

"Computer, I am currently underneath 800 PADDs and am in a great deal of pain. Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And then he gets garbage Earl Grey tea because it's replicated.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

knife_of_justice posted:

Family Guy had a recent episode where some crudely-drawn characters from the first episode make a cameo appearance, because meta.

Do you remember what episode it was?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

TenCentFang posted:

For some reason this of all things gave me flashbacks to my playwriting/screenwriting seminars in undergrad (so early to mid 2000s) where we had to print out 100 to (right before thesis assignments were due) 1000 pages of each others crap for critique every single week.

I had coffee with my university mentor a few months ago and they still make you print out everything each week in those classes!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then he gets garbage Earl Grey tea because it's replicated.

Come to think of it, isn't Picard supposed to be a frenchman? Is that why his tastes in tea are so foul?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pondex posted:

Come to think of it, isn't Picard supposed to be a frenchman? Is that why his tastes in tea are so foul?

Tea is just watery vegetable soup anyways. Bitter bean water is the superior choice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

Isn’t Northern France kind of English?

I am a little confused now as to why I assumed a man named Jean-Luc was English.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn’t Northern France kind of English?

I am a little confused now as to why I assumed a man named Jean-Luc was English.

Probably has to do with his actor, honestly. Doesn't even try to portray himself as French unless it's somehow central to the plot.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not sure if the sopranos episode about columbus day was ever relevant but it sure seems silly now. Definitely a standout in terms of "wtf were they thinking with this oe".

Where do you live? The importance of Columbus Day is more of a regional thing than a past/present thing, at least in my experiences. I grew up in Texas and nobody cared about Columbus Day at all, we didn't even get the day off. Then I moved to New York City for college and it was a much bigger deal there, everyone got the day off and my Italian-American friends made a big deal about how people were trying to "steal" the holiday from them. Granted, that was like a decade ago, so it's entirely possibly that attitudes have changed up there too.

I know The Simpsons has been brought up a lot in this thread, but I'm trying to watch the entire series, including the lovely later seasons (why? I hate myself), and there's two pretty offensive anti-trans jokes in two consecutive episodes at the end of season 12. These aired in May of 1999.

The first is the episode where Lisa joins MENSA. They all go to the park in Renaissance garb, but the town drunks are using their reserved gazebo. Skinner looks for an alternative, but reports back that "there are some shemales in gazebo three a nasty looking spider in gazebo six and the less said about gazebo eight, the better". They try to get Chief Wiggum to clear out the original gazebo, but he angrily replies with "how many gazebos do you shemales need"?

That one isn't that bad outside of how much "shemale" really pops out at you, but the next one is much worse. It's the episode where the Simpsons go to Tokyo, and at the beginning they go to a seminar to learn how to be frugal. The gist of it is that you can live a luxurious lifestyle if you squeeze every penny, and to demonstrate, the presenter puts up a slide of himself partying on a yacht with a bunch of women.

"You see this tux? I got it cheap 'cause Roy Cohn died in it", he says, and the audience murmurs with approval.

"That fancy yacht? A bargain, 'cause it smells like cat pee", and again the crowd approves.

"And those beautiful women? - They used to be men". The audience responds to that much more negatively than before, clearly finding trans people to be much more disgusting than wearing a dead man's tuxedo or a boat that smells like cat piss. It's pretty bad and the punchline is nothing more than "trans people are bad".

As for other shows, King of the Hill is weird in that the earlier episodes hold up much, much better than the later ones. Apparently there were a set of dueling philosophies when it came to writing and producing the show. Mike Judge and his supporters were way more interested in having Hank confront and ultimately persevere against whatever liberal boogeyman they thought up that week, while Greg Daniels and his supporters pushed for the grounded, slice-of-life sitcom angle. Season 1 is mostly Judge, while 2-4 is a combined effort. Seasons 5-6 are mostly Daniels' people, Season 7 goes back to the collaboration, but in Season 8 a Judge disciple takes over and it stays with that group until the show ends. Most of the bad episodes mentioned earlier in this thread were from season 8 and beyond. Most of the good stuff mentioned, like the continuity and characters aging, were from seasons 2-7.

There is one episode that doesn't hold up well. It's "Racist Dawg" in season 7. Ladybird attacks a black repairman played by Bernie Mac, the Hills try to blame it on him being a stranger, but when Ladybird is friendly to a new mailman, the repairman concludes that Ladybird must be racist. This leads to everyone thinking Hank is himself a racist, and the town gets more and more disgusted with him, to the point that his church holds a prayer circle on his front lawn. The plot is eventually resolved when Hank realizes Ladybird hates repairmen, so they call everyone in to see Ladybird attacking a white repairman.

That episode aired in 2003, and truthfully, even when it aired there was no way a small Texas town would ever care that much about a resident being racist, but with the rise of the alt-right and all that's come with it, a bunch of conservatives caring that much about racism is simply laughable, and not in a good way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in WWIII France was conquered by the English

not really, well maybe no one knows. in one episode there is a throwaway joke from Data about French being a dead language

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's that episode where he goes home to the vineyard and fights with his crotchety brother. I can't for the life of me remember what country that loving episode takes place in

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheriff posted:

The first is the episode where Lisa joins MENSA. They all go to the park in Renaissance garb, but the town drunks are using their reserved gazebo. Skinner looks for an alternative, but reports back that "there are some shemales in gazebo three a nasty looking spider in gazebo six and the less said about gazebo eight, the better". They try to get Chief Wiggum to clear out the original gazebo, but he angrily replies with "how many gazebos do you shemales need"?

That one isn't that bad outside of how much "shemale" really pops out at you

Yeah, I'm trans and that one is pretty funny to be honest. The other is straight loving horrible, though.

Sheriff posted:

That episode aired in 2003, and truthfully, even when it aired there was no way a small Texas town would ever care that much about a resident being racist, but with the rise of the alt-right and all that's come with it, a bunch of conservatives caring that much about racism is simply laughable, and not in a good way.

It really is strange how many episodes King of the Hill did about political correctness and environmentalism considering it's setting. It's like whoever was in charge was just venting elaborate revenge fantasies for whatever he saw on Fox News that made him so mad the previous night. It boggles(heh) the mind. A way funnier and more interesting plot for that episode would be if it revolved around actual white supremacists hearing about it and trying to recruit Hank.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

purple death ray posted:

There's that episode where he goes home to the vineyard and fights with his crotchety brother. I can't for the life of me remember what country that loving episode takes place in

La Barre, France

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sheriff posted:

That one isn't that bad outside of how much "shemale" really pops out at you, but the next one is much worse. It's the episode where the Simpsons go to Tokyo, and at the beginning they go to a seminar to learn how to be frugal. The gist of it is that you can live a luxurious lifestyle if you squeeze every penny, and to demonstrate, the presenter puts up a slide of himself partying on a yacht with a bunch of women.

"You see this tux? I got it cheap 'cause Roy Cohn died in it", he says, and the audience murmurs with approval.

"That fancy yacht? A bargain, 'cause it smells like cat pee", and again the crowd approves.

"And those beautiful women? - They used to be men". The audience responds to that much more negatively than before, clearly finding trans people to be much more disgusting than wearing a dead man's tuxedo or a boat that smells like cat piss. It's pretty bad and the punchline is nothing more than "trans people are bad".

Wow, that's really really really bad. What's really hosed up about it is that it's not just about trans people existing, it is specifically framing the idea of finding a trans person sexually attractive to be more repulsive than the idea of wearing a corpse tux or owning a piss boat. Haha, you thought these were pretty ladies when they're actually just - god, I can't even finish that. I'm actually a little bit angry.

Man, can you imagine being someone who helped write that one and then coming back to it later? You would cringe yourself into a puddle. At least, you would if you weren't a turd.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sheriff posted:

Where do you live? The importance of Columbus Day is more of a regional thing than a past/present thing, at least in my experiences. I grew up in Texas and nobody cared about Columbus Day at all, we didn't even get the day off. Then I moved to New York City for college and it was a much bigger deal there, everyone got the day off and my Italian-American friends made a big deal about how people were trying to "steal" the holiday from them. Granted, that was like a decade ago, so it's entirely possibly that attitudes have changed up there too.
I live in NYC and have never met anyone who gave a poo poo nor gotten the day off. I guess I ought to befriend more Italian Americans. Oh well.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tokelau All Star posted:

These people who don't like The Principal and the Pauper obviously haven't had their morning cup of coffee flavored beverine.

I take mine grey

Sheriff that was a great write up on KotH. Apparently Judge went pretty nuts after 9/11 so I think a lot of the "liberal bogeymen" got ramped up even more after that.

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Sep 19, 2017

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

TenCentFang posted:

It really is strange how many episodes King of the Hill did about political correctness and environmentalism considering it's setting. It's like whoever was in charge was just venting elaborate revenge fantasies for whatever he saw on Fox News that made him so mad the previous night. It boggles(heh) the mind. A way funnier and more interesting plot for that episode would be if it revolved around actual white supremacists hearing about it and trying to recruit Hank.

Thanks for reminding me of another exchange that doesn't hold up, not because it's problematic today but instead because it isn't what a conservative would believe. This one is from the pilot:

Hank Hill: How is cutting down on pollution a government plot, Dale?
Dale Gribble: Open up your eyes, man. They're trying to control global warming. Get it? GLO-BAL.
Hank Hill: So what?
Dale Gribble: That's code for U.N. commissars telling Americans what the temperature's going to be in their outdoors. I say let the world warm up, see what Boutros Boutros-Ghali-Ghali thinks about that! We'll grow oranges in Alaska.
Hank Hill: Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas. It's already 110° in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm gonna kick your rear end!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Exactly, the idea that someone becoming the most powerful person in the world through intelligent, insightful internet posts is still ridiculous.

While on the topic of classic sci-fi books, midway through Childhood's End, some aliens have benevolently ruled the Earth for a few decades now, and societies are more tolerant and equitable. As evidence, the narrator says that the n-word was no more an offensive descriptor than "republican."

...yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well that's pretty damned tolerant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Sheriff posted:

I know The Simpsons has been brought up a lot in this thread, but I'm trying to watch the entire series, including the lovely later seasons (why? I hate myself), and there's two pretty offensive anti-trans jokes in two consecutive episodes at the end of season 12. These aired in May of 1999.

As for other shows, King of the Hill is weird in that the earlier episodes hold up much, much better than the later ones. Apparently there were a set of dueling philosophies when it came to writing and producing the show. Mike Judge and his supporters were way more interested in having Hank confront and ultimately persevere against whatever liberal boogeyman they thought up that week, while Greg Daniels and his supporters pushed for the grounded, slice-of-life sitcom angle. Season 1 is mostly Judge, while 2-4 is a combined effort. Seasons 5-6 are mostly Daniels' people, Season 7 goes back to the collaboration, but in Season 8 a Judge disciple takes over and it stays with that group until the show ends. Most of the bad episodes mentioned earlier in this thread were from season 8 and beyond. Most of the good stuff mentioned, like the continuity and characters aging, were from seasons 2-7.

There is one episode that doesn't hold up well. It's "Racist Dawg" in season 7. Ladybird attacks a black repairman played by Bernie Mac, the Hills try to blame it on him being a stranger, but when Ladybird is friendly to a new mailman, the repairman concludes that Ladybird must be racist. This leads to everyone thinking Hank is himself a racist, and the town gets more and more disgusted with him, to the point that his church holds a prayer circle on his front lawn. The plot is eventually resolved when Hank realizes Ladybird hates repairmen, so they call everyone in to see Ladybird attacking a white repairman.

Actually, that reminds me--has The Bernie Mac Show held up at all? I remember my mom and I loved it when I was a teenager because it kind of eviscerated a lot of family sitcom tropes, but in a way where the family were still genuinely likable and multifaceted people.