Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The correct answer is that The Orville is not about 25th century people, it's about 21st century people living in the 25th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Do you guys really think any of these pop culture things will actually fade away now that we have endleas ways to store and use data? It makes perfect sense to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really liked that he had Kermit on his desk. When he was describing how he admired him as a leader it really didn't come off as a joke and felt very earnest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Do you guys really think any of these pop culture things will actually fade away now that we have endleas ways to store and use data? It makes perfect sense to me.
Dora ends up being the most evergreen meme of all time

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really liked that he had Kermit on his desk. When he was describing how he admired him as a leader it really didn't come off as a joke and felt very earnest.
100% agreed and it was also funny thinking of how to describe a muppet you admire to a stoic alien

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I was hoping Bortus was going to give an inspirational speech to Kitan about how Captain Mercer was inspired to lead his crew by the great amphibian leader Kermit the Frog.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's kind of an interesting inversion that usually these shows are about aliens attempting to explain their cultures and humans attempting to understand, but so far in this show it's usually humans trying to explain their bizarre culture to nonplussed aliens.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also they kind of reverse prime directived here. In the prime directive type episodes of Trek they accidentally contaminate a primitive culture and have to try and repair their gently caress up.

Here they've contaminated a far more advanced civilization with their idiocy. The ending made it seem plausible their whole society might collapse as a result.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

^that was great too

I also liked Bortus basically said "gently caress off" so he could stay with his baby, no argument or internal debate required. Family first, mission second. Does this count as foreshadowing?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also they kind of reverse prime directived here. In the prime directive type episodes of Trek they accidentally contaminate a primitive culture and have to try and repair their gently caress up.

Here they've contaminated a far more advanced civilization with their idiocy. The ending made it seem plausible their whole society might collapse as a result.

These shows always give any screen-heavy race a certain overall character.

If they give us 'charismatic stupidity' or something, I'll be pretty happy. Humans are always the 'infinite potential' race and that's just ridiculous

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I mean, we have plenty of pop culture going back to the 18th century or so at least; some of it becomes 'classic' (see e.g. Charles Dickens), most of it disappears as tastes and mores change. We aren't still reading penny dreadfuls from the Victorian era. Nor are we watching minstrel shows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmegin posted:

I mean, we have plenty of pop culture going back to the 18th century or so at least; some of it becomes 'classic' (see e.g. Charles Dickens), most of it disappears as tastes and mores change. We aren't still reading penny dreadfuls from the Victorian era. Nor are we watching minstrel shows.

Let me tell you about a show called The Big Bang Theory, about a group of nerds. But actually these aren't real nerds, it's like they are wearing nerd bla-

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
BBT is actually a nerd power fantasy, but more blatant about it than Star Trek

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Books aren't the same as watching media, especially with respect to longterm preservation, so I don't agree with your argument (I am assuming humanity suffered some kind of catastrophe before becoming space bound). But it makes sense in Orville no matter how we wanna debate it: where the elite Picard is into wine, earl grey, books, and water polo, the B Team settles for tequila, weed, and stupid media. It's fitting :allears:

e: if I was living in a post-scarcity world, I would be a huge piece of poo poo

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 19, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ to be fair they weren't using stupid media themselves, she did mention that she was directed to an "obscure section of the media archives" if I'm remembering correctly.

feedmegin posted:

We aren't still reading penny dreadfuls from the Victorian era.

Speak for yourself

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, when humans became an interstellar civilization, they probably rebooted Dora the Explorer to travel to other planets and learn about them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

e: if I was living in a post-scarcity world, I would be a huge piece of poo poo

You've made this so easy it isn't worth it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Bloop posted:

You've made this so easy it isn't worth it

Well by normal human standards I am a massive poo poo right now but for my own baseline I am actually a gentle and nice angel at the moment

Azhais posted:

^^ to be fair they weren't using stupid media themselves, she did mention that she was directed to an "obscure of the media archives" if I'm remembering correctly.

She was directed there by the pilot guy so I feel like he actually watches that poo poo

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

She was directed there by the pilot guy so I feel like he actually watches that poo poo

Yeah, because he's Tom Paris. Like, literally. He's the ace pilot who was on the shitlist for some crap he pulled, but got the assignment because the captain wanted the best. Instead of classic cartoons, he watches 20th century reality tv.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Yeah, because he's Tom Paris. Like, literally. He's the ace pilot who was on the shitlist for some crap he pulled, but got the assignment because the captain wanted the best. Instead of classic cartoons, he watches 20th century reality tv.

He also fights polite ogres on the deckogram

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snak posted:

This episode was directed by Tom Paris!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm enjoying all of the little parallels to the various Star Trek series with this show. The opening could be the opening for a Star Trek show, right down to the ship warping off at the end.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It's not crazy that they'd sometimes reference art from centuries ago, what with how we reference Sherlock Holmes, Dante's Infero, Shakespeare, etc., but they do go overboard with it because it's all Seth MacFarlane knows how to do. What I really want to see though is the aliens using references that the humans don't get, even if it only happens a few times.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What I really want to see though is the aliens using references that the humans don't get, even if it only happens a few times.

This would be amazing

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Or maybe it's a Ready Player One type of thing, where everyone has decided that the early 21st century was the absolute height of human cultural advancement.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Selachian posted:

Or maybe it's a Ready Player One type of thing, where everyone has decided that the early 21st century was the absolute height of human cultural advancement.

And like Ready Player One, that character bit conveniently excuses the author from accusations of being a total hack.

(I actually like this show and McFarlane, Ernest Cline is a poo poo writer though)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In RPO it wasn't like society as a whole decided that pacman was the height of human development, it was a single eccentric billionaire that truly decided that he loved the golden age of gaming and tied a game to win all of his money to that love. As a result of that a ton of people had interest in solving the puzzles, but everyone else sort of lived their lives after the initial rush since it had been a lot of years with no progress on the puzzle.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Accretionist posted:

These shows always give any screen-heavy race a certain overall character.

If they give us 'charismatic stupidity' or something, I'll be pretty happy. Humans are always the 'infinite potential' race and that's just ridiculous

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Q_res posted:

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

There's always the Odyssey One series (which are books, I'll grant you, but it does feature Humans as a race that uses technology that terrifies everyone else just due to the pure stupidity of using it)

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I really hope there's a running gag of the engines/nacelles always getting blown up.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Q_res posted:

You probably want Alan Dean Foster's "The Damned" book series, where an alien confederation has been losing a war because they've evolved past the need for violence ... until they discover Earth and its population of lunatic killers.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Selachian posted:

You probably want Alan Dean Foster's "The Damned" book series, where an alien confederation has been losing a war because they've evolved past the need for violence ... until they discover Earth and its population of lunatic killers.

I remember these books, the big bads are mind controlling squids.

When one tries to read a human mind it goes into a completely incoherent rage that can never be cured.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What I really want to see though is the aliens using references that the humans don't get, even if it only happens a few times.

Shaka, when the walls fell?

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This episode was directed by Tom Paris!

Wait. This isn't a joke. That is so great on so many levels.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

HardKase posted:

Wait. This isn't a joke. That is so great on so many levels.

Upcoming episode directed by Riker too :peanut:
How hard has CBS dropped the ball?

Edit: I guess he's directing an episode of Discovery too?
And he did direct Sub Rosa :sadpeanut:

vermin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 19, 2017

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheScott2K posted:

And like Ready Player One, that character bit conveniently excuses the author from accusations of being a total hack.

(I actually like this show and McFarlane, Ernest Cline is a poo poo writer though)
Boy, have I got a podcast for you!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

vermin posted:

I read somewhere that people didn't get to pick the episode they directed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vermin posted:

Upcoming episode directed by Riker too :peanut:
How hard has CBS dropped the ball?

Jonathan Frakes has been directing TV shows for ages now. A bunch of TNG and Voyager actors got into directing.

Also, come on, you're going to blame the episode director for Sub Rosa?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Jonathan Frakes has been directing TV shows for ages now. A bunch of TNG and Voyager actors got into directing.
Also, come on, you're going to blame the episode director for Sub Rosa?

Gynovore posted:

I read somewhere that people didn't get to pick the episode they directed.

Yeah you're right I should give him more credit. But it's like having some weird unsavory sounding thing listed on your resume.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Q_res posted:

Harry Turtledove's Worldwar is kind of like that. This alien race that last observed humanity in the 12th century shows up in the middle of WWII to take over the planet, and learn that, first, humanity has technologically advanced incredibly fast, and second, that human beings are horribly aggressive, willing to throw away their lives in battle in mass wave attacks, bomb civilians, and even commit genocide. There's a moment where they realize, "poo poo, we're not going to win this, are we?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Shaka, when the walls fell?

:stare: