Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Niwrad posted:

Like the person saying it on Twitter is a plumber or something and has 10,000 tweets on politics on their feed.

But there's a difference between that and you hiring him to fix your bathtub, only to treat you to ramblings about chemtrails and Jews.

People really want their escapism and football and hockey are mine. I'm watching them and reading about them so I can get a break from the bad stuff of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's not like you put on the NFL morning preshow and instead of that day's games they are discussing police reform, or debating the effects of spending public money on stadiums.

It's selfish and unrealistic to expect athletes and entertainers to exist in a vacuum whose sole purpose is to amuse you and for certain topics to be forever off limits to them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sash! posted:

But there's a difference between that and you hiring him to fix your bathtub, only to treat you to ramblings about chemtrails and Jews.

People really want their escapism and football and hockey are mine. I'm watching them and reading about them so I can get a break from the bad stuff of the world.

The only time that stuff almost ever comes up is if they are talking about a sports related angle. Kaepernick, Sefalosha, etc etc.

Also sports has always always always been one of the main vessels for "politics" to reach the mainstream mostly moderate white folk

People who praised Ali for what he did when he died are bashing other stars of today for taking a stand.

Also you should realize that some people don't have the luxury of being able to to take a break or get their minds off the world as it's their world that is constantly having their rights and freedoms assaulted.

I hope this doesn't come off as an attack on you in particular or anything, I get using sports or entertainment as a distraction, but I firmly believe that those with a platform should use it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tiki Barber will join Ronde in the booth for Giants/Bucs

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cool I know what game I won't be watching.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Learfield is buying IMG

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

That's....kind of a big deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a huge deal. They're the only two games in town that are that big so I can't help but wonder if the FTC holds it up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Thanks FTC almost definitely will

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"Because the companies are structured similarly with significant overlap, a merger could result in millions in cost-saving cuts that could enhance the bottom line. Learfield and IMG College each employ close to 1,000 people."

Welp, looking like 500 people are gonna need to find a new job.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sash! posted:

From what I gather this is from her own personal Twitter account. So it'd be like I looked up the plumbers personal Twitter and found him saying things I don't agree with. Also saying the President is a racist isn't exactly a stretch and it's been something he has embraced. Not on the same level as chemtrails and Jews.

Like I agree that sports are an escape and I'm not terribly political so I'd rather not hear a debate on Obamacare during MNF. But this comes from her own personal Twitter account that none of us who watch the show are obligated to follow.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/russilloshow/status/910196788052754433

My favorite dude.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The NY media market is like the opposite of the pre-Rams/Chargers LA market in that instead of marquee match-ups at every opportunity we get the Jets and the Giants

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So there's rumours that [url=http://awfulannouncing.com/international/amazon-reportedly-looking-bid-english-premier-league-uk-media-rights.html]Amazon could try and pick up all seven of the TV packages for the Premier League that will be up for sale in the next few months. This is either going to be good in that Sky subs will finally come down to an acceptable level if they lose some or all of their packages, and ditto for BT Sport, or it's going to jack the price of their subs right up to keep what they have. My gut feeling is that Sky will fight tooth and nail to keep their Sunday games and the Saturday early game, BT will keep the Saturday late game while Amazon hoovers up the rest

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So there's rumours that [url=http://awfulannouncing.com/international/amazon-reportedly-looking-bid-english-premier-league-uk-media-rights.html]Amazon could try and pick up all seven of the TV packages for the Premier League that will be up for sale in the next few months. This is either going to be good in that Sky subs will finally come down to an acceptable level if they lose some or all of their packages, and ditto for BT Sport, or it's going to jack the price of their subs right up to keep what they have. My gut feeling is that Sky will fight tooth and nail to keep their Sunday games and the Saturday early game, BT will keep the Saturday late game while Amazon hoovers up the rest
At this point in time I've become wary of anything that makes Amazon a more influential company.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The only thing Amazon can't do is take all of the seven packages on offer, I'm pretty sure that's set in stone. But just having them around as a lingering presence is spooking Sky and BT, especially as Sky has staked almost their entire company on the Premier League, and losing that or jacking prices up for the same games or keeping prices the same while having less games could lead to a customer revolt

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/910852628560728064
nailed it

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Did he just have a stroke on air?

edit: multiple strokes?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

"loving sabrmetrics!!!" (covers a sport that has the QB rating)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, IndyCar's ratings on NBCSN have gone up.

Nice to see some good news in the sports broadcast world.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

So, IndyCar's ratings on NBCSN have gone up.

Nice to see some good news in the sports broadcast world.

My understanding is that they have put on a really good show for a while now, right? So it's good people are watching.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

algebra testes posted:

My understanding is that they have put on a really good show for a while now, right? So it's good people are watching.

They have. A few races this year were either clownshoes (Texas) or boring (Phoenix, Sonoma), but even then they had some exciting bits. The 500 ratings (though that was ABC) dropped due to the blackout (and not being the 100th), but a few more international eyes are watching now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

You just know he wanted to drop a "pyfagorean theorem".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sports journalism is the biggest scam. The Niners scored 2 fewer offensive points aka the same, but is anyone talking about how their offense is "legit"? :rolleyes:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Sports journalism is the biggest scam. The Niners scored 2 fewer offensive points aka the same, but is anyone talking about how their offense is "legit"? :rolleyes:

I thought we were supposed to be mortified of the offensive lineman apocalypse. :jerkbag:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Josh Lyman posted:

They've played at least two very bad teams but the Rams offense has been a lot better than expected all year, not just last night, so this seems fine. If fact if one were forced to talk about the Los Angeles Rams for some awful reason (like say writing a game story about them playing another bad team) I'd say that Goff and the offense looking promising so far is probably by far the most notable and interesting thing you could talk about. I, a resident of the Greater Los Angeles Metro Area, have had multiple "wait is Jared Goff actually kinda good now?" conversations by text and at work, which is way more than anyone talked about the dumb Rams last year. At the very least this is a weird thing to highlight as The Worst Sports Journalism

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 22, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I for one am enraged that the winning team is being highlighted

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

can't stop thinking about this guy refusing to cut diagonally across to save time

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There are a million reasons to hate the NFL, you don't have to make up bullshit

"how dare they say a winning team looks good :argh:"

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

What a stupid complaint. Are you saying articles must 50/50 discuss both teams after a game result or else sports journalism is a sham? The only thing I can infer from that post is I would guess you are probably an annoyed 49ers fan.

Save the outrage for the inevitable articles coming up claiming any team that lost whose players didn't come out for the anthem is proof that athletes should stick to sports.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So AA had a post discussing how the networks discussed the protests and why the gently caress is Charles Barkley on the NFL Today pregame show? Cowherd on Fox I can see because even if his takes are bad, he at least discusses football daily.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good on Shannon
https://twitter.com/TrillestAC/status/912340644789719040

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:stare: Holy poo poo, that was fantastic.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
yoooooo

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/912418898582147072

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GODDAMN.

Few observations:

-There's a couple times where you can tell Shannon is on the verge of tears. Not knocking him for that. But man, was he fired up.
-It takes balls to say what he said. It takes even bigger ones to call out somebody considers a friend for being a hypocrite.
-Skip and the other person (sorry don't know her name) wisely shut the gently caress up during this. They don't add their own takes.

Is she the lady in that one gif with the crossover dribble?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is she the lady in that one gif with the crossover dribble?

Yes. Read these articles about all that she has done:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/9/16038476/nba-announcing-doris-burke-rosalyn-gold-onwude-f1080dfa68c4

http://deadspin.com/how-doris-burke-became-the-best-drat-basketball-broadca-1797546866

She is the best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

poo poo, I'm convinced. Also, those are good articles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Gallinero Gros posted:

GODDAMN.

Few observations:

-There's a couple times where you can tell Shannon is on the verge of tears. Not knocking him for that. But man, was he fired up.
-It takes balls to say what he said. It takes even bigger ones to call out somebody considers a friend for being a hypocrite.
-Skip and the other person (sorry don't know her name) wisely shut the gently caress up during this. They don't add their own takes.

Skip, I think, has learned when to shut up about certain topics. But yeah, Shannon laid it all out.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crossposting.

Dale Hansen went off again and it's :master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/jnsanchez/status/912292192454086656