Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What? How is letting you see review history of a game instead of only showing an overall score that might have been heavily influenced by review bombing encouraging it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

What? How is letting you see review history of a game instead of only showing an overall score that might have been heavily influenced by review bombing encouraging it?

Seeing that big graph feels to me like a reward for the bombers. Like, look at what they've done!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sure but to a regular viewer that isn't looking for that the graph looks differently. I think it's a fun new thing where you can look at a game's review graph and go "I wonder what happened there" and then narrow the timeline to read what actually happened, if it was due to a bad patch etc.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seeing that big graph feels to me like a reward for the bombers. Like, look at what they've done!

I don't really see it, it's not like review bombers are some hacker group looking to get their name out. Their purpose is to tank the game's review score as a protest and/or to stop people from buying the game, but now they're at least (in theory) distinguishable from legitimate reviews.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think this is neat, but ultimately I'll read comments if I see a lot of negative reviews to get a better idea as to why it's being downvoted already, this just helps visualize it. I'm trying to think of some famously bombed games to check out, Ark's is definitely interesting and shows a huge flood when they released the first $20 DLC for that game. You can see the negative reviews come in on the Skyrim re-release when they announced the creator content stuff late last month too.

Edit: Lol, GTAV

Spike looks to be for the day they started banning people who were cheating.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 19, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Like it or not review bombing isn't some ultimate evil and it has had objectively good results. It helps react to bad gameplay changes, helped reverse the GTA5 mod ban, made Paradox to roll back their price increases, it got the Sonic Mania devs to at least turn off the always online portion of their DRM, and many other cases over the years.
And like Valve said, if it's just some random event it'll just be a blip on the histogram that you can take a look at, and that'll be forgotten in a while, unless you just reaaaaally care about graphs.
It's the best of both worlds, it limits potential non-game related blowback without limiting people's actual general opinions about a game or its general perception.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I love stats and graphs. I'm excited to poke around when I'm home.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

So apparently Valve likes review bombing and wants to encourage it?

yes that's exactly what they said good job

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes I think review bombing can be helpful to alert people to some frankly broken releases and patches, but on the other hand, zero-hour exposure is so important for indie games and a few petty complaints can really do harm to whatever limited time it gets to spend on the top seller list before it fades back to obscurity.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

The last decently themed police game I played was SWAT4. Sure you can put it on Easy and treat it as an incredibly awkward to control Rainbow 6 but if you want to get the most out of the game you put it on the hardest difficultly and then you basically have to learn to be a perfect SWAT member. Leave nothing to chance, come out with everyone - suspects and hostages alike - alive, follow all procedure with no shortcuts, and instantly react to the unexpected with the exact right amount of force at the exact right time.

It may be incredibly gamey - sending in a 5 person SWAT team armed with nothing but beanbag shotguns and tasers to subdue a group of 15+ people with body armor and assault rifles is probably not going to work elsewhere - but it is a game after all.

That loving nightclub. The A-Bomb Nightclub is probably one of the most terrifying levels in all of gaming. Wish more games like SWAT 4 would come out: smart tactical shooters where the goal isn't to kill dudes. The LSPDFR, or Los Santos Police Department First Response mod for GTA V on PC is the closest we've got. It's great don't get me wrong, but it's far from SWAT 4.

On a related note, did you know there's a GTA Space mod? I don't think it's out yet, but it's making the rounds on youtube and looks pretty cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jamfrost posted:

I love stats and graphs. I'm excited to poke around when I'm home.
Just FYI - if a game wasn't review bombed the graph isn't shown by default - there's a little button over the review section on the right to show the graph.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

explosivo posted:

Or that's when Take Two sent a C&D letter to the guys behind framework that allowed mods to function in GTAV and ultimately had absolutely zero anything to do with multiplayer anything. That's what they said it was for, but it's clearly them trying to stomp out 'free' content in hopes that people buy the content itself. Or Take Two is wholly ignorant of modding in general which is just as likely.
It's like Take Two is afraid of modding and some exec somewhere thinks that if they kill it = more money. Where as when Bethesda sees modding they go 'hey that's our money' where there isn't any money being exchanged.

It's like, man, loving executives don't know anything at all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KakerMix posted:

Or that's when Take Two sent a C&D letter to the guys behind framework that allowed mods to function in GTAV

Ah, you're right. That was most certainly the day the mods stopped.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd say review bombing can be a good thing. If the developer does something the community doesn't like, they can leave a negative review for that game to make their voice heard. It's lovely when people start review bombing games because something happened with a different game, but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Maybe Valve can find a way to filter out reviews that mention the bad review is in retaliation for some other game. I'm glad they added this graph, so you can see when the community was upset about something, and then you can see if it was fixed. it's helpful when a game had a bunch of good reviews, but then it died and now it is building up negative reviews.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

HGH posted:

it got the Sonic Mania devs to at least turn off the always online portion of their DRM, and many other cases over the years.
Just to correct this, the devs who worked on the game didn't put in denuvo and had no idea. The publisher hacked it in, hence the lovely job.

In fact there's concern doing so may have poisoned the relationship between the devs and Sega.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

explosivo posted:

Edit: Lol, GTAV

Nothing to do with cheating, Take Two took down the main modding tool for the game at that time
http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-modding-tool-openiv-shuts-down-claiming-cease-and-desist-from-take-two/

They've been banning people for cheating for a long time, albeit not very effectively.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Steam Spy has already weighed in on this with a Twitter mini thread. What caught my eye was this:
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/910258704875999232

Interesting that it review bombing doesn't really affect sales.
As mentioned with the GTAV incident, it made enough noise that the publisher didn't want any more bad press, but that might also just be it. I hope SteamSpy will follow this up with a blog post with examples of both bombs and the sale stats.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ultimately review bombing can be a good thing (Take Two removing mods) or a bad thing (Baldur's Gate expansion has a TRANS CHARACTER HRGLRBRGL - though I don't think that was actualyl bombed that much) so really the best thing to do does seem to be giving as much information as possible.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

beat cop might be trash but death road to canada is absolutely worth the $10!!! the devs have been non-stop tweaking and adding poo poo for free ever since the game was released last year.

be a friend to dogs! recruit a dog to kill zombies with you! have a party entirely full of dogs!!!!!! trade all your food to buy lovely replica katanas! hang out with L*nk!

cool it!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can dogs use katanas?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

can dogs use katanas?

Yes

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Awesome! posted:

can dogs use katanas?

only super dogs; which you get if a dog is the last remaining member of your original party.

super katana dog party

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dmboogie posted:

only super dogs; which you get if a dog is the last remaining member of your original party.

super katana dog party

Thank you, that was the detail I couldn't remember. I knew dogs could wield weapons - one party of mine had a dog beating up zombies with a cane.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Blattdorf posted:

A few really interesting games have popped up today:

Echo - a game in which the AI adapts to whatever you do. Seems to be getting positive reviews.

Dujanah - a weird game that seems to remind me of Hylicks.

ReThink | Evolved - a puzzle game that places emphasis on allowing you to solve a puzzle however you see fit.

You linked Dujanah twice. Thanks for these tho, they look interesting.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
?eon Chrome: 38?BH-I5M2Q-VV8VR
Rive: Wrec?, Hack, Die, Retry: 39B2?-MN2R4-WQCYL
Bio?ic Commando: C?NCB-T0NFC-CA6GN
?esla Effect: B?HTF-004Z6-M64LC

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

Bio?ic Commando: C?NCB-T0NFC-CA6GN

Got this one. Thanks.

In weekly sale related news, is there a way to filter products you already own? Would be easier to recommend stuff like that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kibayasu posted:

The last decently themed police game I played was SWAT4. Sure you can put it on Easy and treat it as an incredibly awkward to control Rainbow 6 but if you want to get the most out of the game you put it on the hardest difficultly and then you basically have to learn to be a perfect SWAT member. Leave nothing to chance, come out with everyone - suspects and hostages alike - alive, follow all procedure with no shortcuts, and instantly react to the unexpected with the exact right amount of force at the exact right time.

It may be incredibly gamey - sending in a 5 person SWAT team armed with nothing but beanbag shotguns and tasers to subdue a group of 15+ people with body armor and assault rifles is probably not going to work elsewhere - but it is a game after all.

The police in SWAT 4 is the police we want, not the one we really have sadly. Fun fact - those developers were working on a sequel to SWAT 4 set in the zombie apocalypse. Same engine, same handling, same team based tactics - just add apocalypse. They were too early for the zombie phase so they didn't get the money.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Anyone interested in the Humble Positive Bundle 2, but not want Death Road to Canada? That's the only game on the list I want, and not for $10. PM me if you want to get the bundle, and then send me DRtC for a few dollars.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

yegods posted:

Anyone interested in the Humble Positive Bundle 2, but not want Death Road to Canada? That's the only game on the list I want, and not for $10. PM me if you want to get the bundle, and then send me DRtC for a few dollars.

How about $9 and its yours :D

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kibayasu posted:

Ultimately review bombing can be a good thing (Take Two removing mods) or a bad thing (Baldur's Gate expansion has a TRANS CHARACTER HRGLRBRGL - though I don't think that was actualyl bombed that much) so really the best thing to do does seem to be giving as much information as possible.
Who do I have to review bomb to get a goddamn PC port of Shadow of the Colossus?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Checks out. Fallout 4

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Velocity Raptor posted:

Checks out. Fallout 4

I know it's a garbage game, but what happened to it in that period?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

DaveKap posted:

Who do I have to review bomb to get a goddamn PC port of Shadow of the Colossus?

It's a first party Sony game. It will literally never get a PC port.

404notfound posted:

Bethesda put in its second attempt at paid mods. It's not going over well.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

game is highly rated among the sock puppet demographic

(Pristine World)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I wanna play a game like Police Quest 1 from my childhood. Goons can I get some suggeestions? (or is this beat cop?)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Turd Herder posted:

I wanna play a game like Police Quest 1 from my childhood. Goons can I get some suggeestions? (or is this beat cop?)

Police Quest 2/3? :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turd Herder posted:

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, maybe?
The Wolf Among Us, sort of?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, the Police Quest games are out there (on both GOG and Steam). I don't know if any other games ever went for the weird mix of obsessive police procedure + adventure game stuff. Though I guess in a sense "know what the designer was thinking in advance" is a sort of procedure you have to follow when it comes to most classic Sierra adventures...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

404notfound posted:

They released their paid mods thing again, except you are forced to download all the mods even if you haven't bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

except you are forced to download all the mods even if you haven't bought them.

This certainly can't lead to mod piracy at all!