Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I legit forgot dodging even existed until complaining to friends about my failure to solo Machamp raids. the battle system is not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I don't think the battle system will ever change. The dodge function is already advanced for casual people playing and I highly doubt they're gonna make something more complicated beyond the scope of all the 40+ year olds and children who play this and could barely figure out how to navigate their own phones.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah. If you want a complex battle system get a mainline pokemon game. Go is a casual walk around and tap on your phone game, no more, no less. it's not difficult to see the market segment Niantic is trying to target here and that's a big part of it.

:shrug:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The typing is already difficult enough for people to remember / understand. A kid at a raid insisted that rock type was super effective against electric. People need to be reminded that no, you should not use Dragonite against Articuno.

Speaking of kids: so many kids play this game, and while I'm probably underestimating kids these days, making the combat more complex would be a huge turnoff to most of them (and many adults).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Psion posted:

Yeah. If you want a complex battle system get a mainline pokemon game. Go is a casual walk around and tap on your phone game, no more, no less. it's not difficult to see the market segment Niantic is trying to target here and that's a big part of it.

It was a casual walk around and tap on your phone game until it turned into a game about raiding. I mostly ignore raids because like I said the battle system is poo poo, but if raids are going to be such an important part of the game then they shouldn't be based on bad mechanics.

e: And y'all are kinda treating people like idiots. All you do in the game right now is tap on the screen. Most people can really handle a little more than that.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 19, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It was a casual walk around and tap on your phone game until it turned into a game about raiding. I mostly ignore raids because like I said the battle system is poo poo, but if raids are going to be such an important part of the game then they shouldn't be based on bad mechanics.

e: And y'all are kinda treating people like idiots. All you do in the game right now is tap on the screen. Most people can really handle a little more than that.

Hey now, don't paint with that broad a brush. I'm not treating people like idiots. Phone UIs have real problems with complexity so Niantic avoiding that is a positive. Niantic targeting a wide market is smart. The system may be pretty basic (tap tap tap swipe tap tap tap) but the reasons behind it are not, so it doesn't even matter if people could/couldn't handle more complexity, it'd be a mistake to add it, imo.

(some other people are wrong about what level of complexity a kid can handle, yes)

and about raids - I think raids are very visible, but I question the percentage of people who play this game vs people who raid regularly/at all. I agree raids show the weaknesses of the system pretty strongly, but it's not a huge deal in the end. Honestly it's nice being able to hold a conversation with my fellow raiders while tapping.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wasn't trying to be lovely. I'm just thinking in terms of popular games like Candy Crush and Farmville that managed to appeal to lots of people and still have interesting/fun mechanics. The finding/catching part of Go seems pretty fleshed out to me, but the battling isn't at this point.

It's not a big deal, because Go is free and is just something I play walking to work in the morning, but when I actually do a raid I'd rather just stand there while the fight plays out automatically than tap the screen over and over to accomplish the same thing.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

All this buzz in the thread and I thought maybe something was happening like Gen 3. What a fool I was.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahaha me and a few others just got another EX pass for the same Sprint store, but at 7 pm on the 21st.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Raid passes going out for Starbucks as well

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GonSmithe posted:

Just a note: If you use a Go+ and have an iPhone, don't update to iOS 11. There's a Bluetooth problem with it apparently and it makes the Go+ lag to the point of not working correctly with Pokestops.

drat. Was watching my phone reboot post-update just as I read that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The game needs a complete overhaul.

FTFY.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Louisgod posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahaha me and a few others just got another EX pass for the same Sprint store, but at 7 pm on the 21st.

I just opened up the app, and lolol got one for the same place as last time xD Same time as you, too

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Omaha was Sprint stores last week, this week it's Starbucks. Classy.

At least it's a bit later. I haven't raided down there in weeks but it's only about a 20 min drive. NBD.

Kiddo didn't get one despite raiding with me and not having a Mewtwo pass yet. Rude. I swear they're prioritizing higher levels.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
loving RIP guess I've never done a Sprint or Starbucks raid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh god I just opened the app and it gave me another ex badge. so it counted my win last week vs Mewtwo to be eligible to fight him again. so stupid

this pass is so stupid let me trade it, I don't want it. I hate doing group raids

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
New raid bosses? There's a Weezing boss near me.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Chekans 3 16 posted:

New raid bosses? There's a Weezing boss near me.
Weezing has been in since the beginning. I don' think there have been any changes besides legendaries.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm not good at raids - I can solo a 2 star one, but meeting up with strangers has had mixed results because I was getting a lot of bugs and couldn't join the raids half the time, which lead to some "sorry mate, can't do the raid" moments. I think I might just wait for trading and borrow the legendaries off a friend so I have them registered in the Dex.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Steve Jorbs posted:

Weezing has been in since the beginning. I don' think there have been any changes besides legendaries.

Wow, I've never actually seen one. Weird.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Any chance the new EX passes will be Ho-Oh and not Mewtwo?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

Any chance the new EX passes will be Ho-Oh and not Mewtwo?

that's my hope but doubt it especially as ho-oh doesn't have a spot to go in the dex

I've done 34 raids all time, 2 passes. I know there's reports of a level 14 in these raids but this still has to be on the wow I got lucky side of things.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

that's my hope but doubt it especially as ho-oh doesn't have a spot to go in the dex

Ho-Oh goes right after Lugia in the dex. Also, You may remember back in the day - either when the game first came out or gen 2 - that the last dex entry you have would not have a bunch of empty squares after it, but would just stop. This is true even if the only gen 2 dude you have/have seen is Chikorita.

That all being said, I don't think it'll be Ho-Oh just yet anyway.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
There's like one Sprint store in a mall in my area that got converted into a gym, I guess I should have tried hitting it up over the weekend. Too bad PF Chang's isn't a corporate sponsor since I have done a raid there in the same mall.

Some level 40 geeks in my city's facebook group are salty over getting passed over twice now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would honestly rather they just put a Mewtwo code under idk Sprite caps or Campbell's soup lids than this. This is embarrassing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I would honestly rather they just put a Mewtwo code under idk Sprite caps or Campbell's soup lids than this. This is embarrassing.

Last time I'm gonna say this: these are test raids.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
I only did one level 2 raid at a sprint store, so I know which one has the mewtwo raid but how can you tell where to go if you've been to more than one? They all have the same name here, "GET YOUR LEVEL BADGE".

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The New York Times posted:

I only did one level 2 raid at a sprint store, so I know which one has the mewtwo raid but how can you tell where to go if you've been to more than one? They all have the same name here, "GET YOUR LEVEL BADGE".

They get really mad at the one in the mall here if you asked for that promotional code. Someone must have really been jaded, or rude, because Pokemon Go makes the beast of a man.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Doing the tests at sponsored locations is probably a way for them to prove to the sponsors that the game can still draw big crowds as well. I heard that like 60 people turned up to the Sprint store I mentioned before last week and it was a massive clusterfuck with people getting left out and such. But what they would care about the most is that 60 people went to the sponsor location to participate.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Last time I'm gonna say this: these are test raids.

It's a marketing deal, and next we're getting a gen 4 testing phase at all participating Papa John's locations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Psion posted:

I'm not saying they should make it more complex just because, my concern is scaleability for future generations. As the game goes on, more and more pokemon are defined by their abilities rather than just their typing, stats and moves. After a certain point, they become interchangeable unless you add an extra layer, however small. And I've seen people here wanting it but I neither want nor expect pogo to ever be turn based, but they could still incorporate status effects (poison, paralysis, sleep, etc.) and minor stat buffs that can trigger randomly with certain moves and abilities that influence things under certain conditions. And none of this would change the basic tap/swipe controls and one quick move/one charge move per pokemon.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Ok got my invite, but I need some work on my curveballs. What's the trick to locking the target size? I never tried it but now I feel like it's time.

And is this still the best technique for curveballs?

E- fixed

The New York Times fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 20, 2017

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone else experiencing problems regarding updating iOS and the pogo+? I haven't updated yet.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

The invite has a button that says "get directions," and opens google maps with a marker on the gym's location.

Ok got my invite, but I need some work on my curveballs. What's the trick to locking the target size? I never tried it but now I feel like it's time.

Hold the ball until the circle is the size you want it (for great, about 2/3 the diameter of the full circle), then let go. Wait for the mon to attack, and throw it during the attack so that it hits right after. When doing it this way, the circle doesn't change size. You'll need to hold the ball during the attack animation a couple times to see when you're able to hit it so that you can get the timing right.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
My daughter and I did he raid for Mewtwo together, in the same group, and both caught it. Today she got another raid pass and I did not. Very bizarre.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Everyone on the Discord who got a pass got a second one today. The ones who didn't got skipped over again.

gently caress this test bullshit.

edit: And again the leader of the sunday raids, who does 4-7 raids a DAY, and has been hitting only sponsored ones since the first Mewtwo raid, got none.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 20, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Those are some lazy rear end names

Leafeon

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

They really need to tone down the caps on those.

E- fixed

If you wanna practice specifically for Mewtwo, he uses the same distance and circle as Onix. Find an Onix nest.

Otherwise just practice on everything. I don't think it's been a month since I learned curve balls, and I get greats/excellents consistently.

~Coxy posted:

Leafeon

Leafyeon

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

E- fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdjCk-cT08&t=24s

There you go. You must throw during the attack phase, if you throw any other time the set circle will reset (jumping/flying up and down is the biggest offender).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Finally a new event. Was hoping for double.XP, but I'll definitely take double dust.

http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/equinox2017

• Locked thread