Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Announced just a while ago was the ninth album from Foo Fighters. Coming out 9/15/17.

https://foofighters.com/

The track listing seems to be:
  • T-Shirt
  • Run
  • Make It Right
  • The Sky Is A Neighborhood
  • La Dee Da
  • Dirty Water
  • Arrows
  • Happy Ever After (Zero Hour)
  • Sunday Rain
  • The Line
  • Concrete and Gold

They've released a music video, Run (midly :nws: , floppy old people tits).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifwc5xgI3QM

And there's also a concert video showing off the track La Dee Da.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tJVdJRd4Y

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Run not on the new album?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It appears that I missed the top two tracks. I saw the line starting with "T-Shirt" and just kindof glanced over the rest of the line. Unless "T-Shirt" is the name of a track...

EDIT: T-Shirt is not a link, so maybe it's actually a track name.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Heh, interesting that they're working with an acclaimed pop producer, I guess Dave & Josh Homme are on the same wavelength these days. I've heard Kurstin produce some great stuff and some other stuff that kinda sounded like blown-out garbage, so we'll see. Although more likely than not, and judging by the single, it'll pretty much sound like they always do. Foo Fighters gonna Foo Fight.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:toot:

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress that font. These ain't no 90's bboy times no more.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sir Lemming posted:

Heh, interesting that they're working with an acclaimed pop producer, I guess Dave & Josh Homme are on the same wavelength these days.

Not that it takes a genius to figure out that Grohl & Homme are tight, but look, this is exactly what I was talking about :

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/turns_out_foo_fighters_and_qotsa_recorded_new_albums_1_block_from_each_other.html

Dave Grohl posted:

It was great because we were one block away from Queens of the Stone Age while they were making their record.

So every day, we would sneak over to each other's studios and steal donuts and coffee.

We were listening to each other's records just like, rock and roll is alive and well.

These two records honestly, Queens of the Stone Age and Foo Fighters should join forces and just take over the world right now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I read this yesterday and I kind of felt like I had to wait another day to make sure I hadn't dreamed it. But here it is:

Shawn Stockman of Boyz II Men sings on new Foo Fighters album

quote:

Speaking to BBC 6 Music about the ‘weirdest moment’ of recording the album, Grohl replied: “The guy from Boyz II Men walking through the parking lot and me saying ‘would you sing on our record?’ And he does – on the heaviest song on the entire record.”

Still not sure if this is that "world's biggest pop star" they mentioned. Also of interest: they finally committed to "getting weird" this time.

quote:

“It is the record that I’ve been more excited for people to hear than any other record we’ve ever made,” said Grohl, before drummer Taylor Hawkins added: “Every time we start a record, Dave goes ‘we need to get weird on this record’. Then we always kinda pull back a little and go ‘let’s just make a good rock n’ roll record. This is the weird record.”

He added: “Josh Homme – our good mate from Queens Of The Stone Age – he said ‘you guys made a weird record’, and he was stoked about it."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess I'm the only one posting in this thread now but...

Rick Astley joined the Foo Fighters on stage, called the crowd “motherfuckers”

If this whole "biggest pop star in the world" thing is just a Rickroll, I think Dave Grohl has just pulled off the ultimate dad joke.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
New album's out. I'm gonna hit up the two local record stores in 5 hours and see if either one maybe bought the black-on-black vinyl from Merchbar since I slept on it. Seeing them in November and it can't come soon enough.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Listened to the first half of this on the way to work, and if it keeps up this momentum, it's easily on track to be their best album since There Is Nothing Left To Lose, if not better. (I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing that about every Foo album, but it's true.) I wasn't even a big fan of "Run" before, but it's elevated by the context of the songs surrounding it, which are both more quirky and lighthearted. "Make It Right" in particular is an early highlight. It's got an unconventional bounce to it. (I think it might secretly be dubstep-influenced, but don't tell anybody :ssh:)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

it's easily on track to be their best album since There Is Nothing Left To Lose, if not better. (I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing that about every Foo album, but it's true.)

Not really because There is Nothing Left To Lose was a weak album with a couple of good tracks, plus their only really good album since The Color and The Shape was Wasting Light. Hopefully this one will be good too though!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

il_cornuto posted:

Not really because There is Nothing Left To Lose was a weak album with a couple of good tracks, plus their only really good album since The Color and The Shape was Wasting Light. Hopefully this one will be good too though!

See, I'm never sure which one to say, so I went with the safer option.
Also I just noticed the band's name is misspelled in the thread title, lol

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I won't get this album until I get back from work. Thanks Amazon. Thamazon.

Sir Lemming posted:

Also I just noticed the band's name is misspelled in the thread title, lol

I am a the worst.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm happy with the album. While there are small bits that sound like Stock-Foo-Fighters, the rest is different, fun, and pretty catchy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Album's good. I still think the band's lost a certain spark since Echoes (which is stellar and I will fight anyone who insinuates otherwise in the streets), but this is definitely a move in the right direction.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm loving this album so far. Between this and Villains, it's a drat good year in music for me.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
This is a really good and weird album. (Finally!) Shame about the last three tracks though. They're just awful. I am pleasantly surprised that they didn't do the thing where they pick the worst song on the album to be the big, highly promoted single. The Sky is a Neighborhood is actually really good and has been in my head for the last two days. Chop the last three songs off this album and add the Saint Cecilia EP to it and you'd have the best Foos album since TINLTL.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stokes posted:

Shame about the last three tracks though. They're just awful.

Sunday Rain's not great but the other two are far from awful. :shrug:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Sunday Rain's not great but the other two are far from awful. :shrug:

The Line is a perfectly mediocre Foo Fighters 'single' that they just don't need to write anymore. As far as closers, go Concrete and Gold is decent but doesn't hold a candle to New Way Home or Comeback. I guess 'awful' is a harsh word for them, but to me there's an acute drop in song quality after Happy Ever After.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Saw them in London tonight, they played most of Concrete and Gold. The only track that really fell flat live was Dirty Water, which is a shame since it's drat good on the album.

Also those lads played for almost three loving hours what the Christ.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
“It is the record that I’ve been more excited for people to hear than any other record we’ve ever made,” said Grohl,

Didn't he say that exact thing about in your Honor

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
He says basically the same thing about every album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Saw them in London tonight, they played most of Concrete and Gold. The only track that really fell flat live was Dirty Water, which is a shame since it's drat good on the album.

Also those lads played for almost three loving hours what the Christ.

A 3 hour foo fighters show sounds like torture

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

A 3 hour foo fighters show sounds like torture

Agreed. I saw them in 2015 when they played over 2.5 hours, and it sucked due to the tendency to play lovely classic rock covers, dragging out every song longer than necessary, and Grohl's inability to STFU and just play music.

Foo Fighters would be a great live band if they just rocked hard for 90 minutes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Anonymous John posted:

Agreed. I saw them in 2015 when they played over 2.5 hours, and it sucked due to the tendency to play lovely classic rock covers, dragging out every song longer than necessary, and Grohl's inability to STFU and just play music.

Foo Fighters would be a great live band if they just rocked hard for 90 minutes.

Yeah same I saw them at a festival when he was on that throne for his broken leg. I mean I'm not saying I don't like Monkey Wrench, but it gets pretty tiring after 10 minutes. And they did that with every song.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You two are crazy.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while because I wanted to listen to the new album again soon. However, I actually didn't like this album, and hated some parts of some songs. I'll have to break it down when I listen to it again, so I can remember my criticisms.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IUG posted:

You two are crazy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure half of the point of going to a Foo show is those long versions. The long version of Stacked Actors they did while touring for Echoes was amazing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah most of them were really good. They absolutely love stopping the song, having a long talk and then suddenly bursting into the last chorus though. They did it like 5 times.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hey man I'm just not that big of a foo fighters guy. They're alright but it got very tiring for me. Especially at a festival it was kinda too much. If it was a non festival show then yeah I wouldn't have a problem with it I guess.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah most of them were really good. They absolutely love stopping the song, having a long talk and then suddenly bursting into the last chorus though. They did it like 5 times.

I feel like this explains QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf (which is a great album, don't get me wrong, but it does the false ending thing a lot.)

Actually I really miss Dave's go and drum for other bands phase, that and Killing Joke's second self titled are still the best things he's done since The Colour and The Shape.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

il_cornuto posted:

I feel like this explains QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf (which is a great album, don't get me wrong, but it does the false ending thing a lot.)

I really don't like it when bands super extend live songs. Like I wish The Foo Fighters would just play through Stacked Actors and be done with it. I think they even extended it playing it in Letterman's studio. Billy Corgan is guilty of that too. I remember going to a Smashing Pumpkins concert in '96 and I was like 'oh great Silverfuck', because I just knew. But there's something about Walkin' on the Sidewalks, or Better Living through Chemistry, or God is in the Radio, or the Fun Machine Took a poo poo and Died, or Song for the Dead that I just don't mind if they go on forever.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Cheesus posted:

He says basically the same thing about every album.

I THINK IT'S THE BEST THING WE'VE EVER DONE! :razz:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Stokes posted:

But there's something about Walkin' on the Sidewalks, or Better Living through Chemistry, or God is in the Radio, or the Fun Machine Took a poo poo and Died, or Song for the Dead that I just don't mind if they go on forever.
Ten years ago (when touring for Era Vulgaris, I believe) they regularly stretched out Regular John to either jam or use it to bookend another song(!).

I wish I remember the gigs, but those versions are loving incredible.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
When a Foo Fighter's album releases, I usually don't like it at first, then after a week I end up warming up to most of it for some reason. This was no exception, but I think I only like about half of it. What's with putting garbage at the end of a studio track? gently caress you whoever pushed that idea.

Stokes posted:

and you'd have the best Foos album since TINLTL.
I liked One by One better than this one, but I'm weird and strange. I'm still really dissapointed with Sonic Highways. But Wasting Light is a loving awesome album that I liked from day one.

If you haven't checked out Probot, you should. Grohl wrote the music and played most of the instruments, and invited different heavy metal legends like (the late) Lenny to do the vocals. A lot of it is an acquired taste, but Shake Your Blood has never left my workout playlist.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 23, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, doing my second listen (I force iTunes to space it out so I don't hate anything new by burning it out).

On a second listen, I guess I only dislike two tracks. But boy, do I really dislike these two tracks. Enough that it pulls this album down a lot.

Dirty Water - How did a Steely Dan track end up on a Foo Fighters album? At least the second half walks it back, but it's almost 3 minutes by that point.
Happy Ever After - It builds up towards something, however it banks into some high pitch "aaas" that sounds like something you'd hear at some tropical beach hut.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think this album is the closest thing they've done to their first album. I don't know if that's necessarily a compliment, as I don't listen to the first album all that often. (It gets more listens than In Your Honor and One By One. I still don't have Sonic Highways so I'm not sure where that ranks.) It doesn't stick to one sound/style for more than 2 songs. It's got a couple of straightforward rockers, a couple of different-sounding rockers, an acoustic ditty or two, and a weird depressing-sounding ending.

Like a few other posters, I think it's almost definitely great until the last few tracks. Then it gets a little iffy. I also don't like the intro of "Arrows", but the rest of it is pretty good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Line isn't bad, but it suffers from being The Immediately Identifiable Foo Fighters Song on an album that's full of experimentation, so it just ends up being really bland.

Make It Right and The Sky is a Neighborhood is a dynamite one-two punch.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

what's up with the song on this record that namedrops death in june, psychic tv and whitehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I liked Wasting Light enough that I wanted to give this album a listen even though Sonic Highways was dire, but I only just got round to it. Run is pretty fun, although Melechesh do that groove better - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4E4VA0wmBQ after the intro for example if you can handle harsh vocals. The Sky is a Neighbourhood has really good vocals, though I'm less sold on the squelchy We Will Rock You beat and generic guitar. Arrows and The Line are both OK but we've heard them so many times before they don't really need to exist. Every other track is awful, and the production is terrible too.

Obviously lots of people still like hearing new Foo Fighters albums, but for me I don't really see the point in them anymore. Their signature sound can be really good, but we've already heard that done as well as it can be, and every time they try something new it ranges from pointlessly derivative to really bad. I'd much rather see Dave drum for other bands. If they do carry on, I think they're better off sticking to the punkier sound of their best albums instead of the dull classic rock influences they go for here, but then again I'm clearly not part of their audience anymore.

• Locked thread