Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
games are good.
things that make you play games are good.
games... are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
gamesgamesGamesGAmesGAMesGAMESGEAMSGAMSEGAMESE!!!

edit: sorry i had to restart my console, you know the feeling ritgh?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Maybe they're holding off on VC due to the millions and millions NES/SNES Classics on their way to a store near you this holiday season?

They'd just sell 2 copies to fans then though. The only excuse is they have no idea what their online will be and they are holding them back until its decided how the retro games will fit into the sub service

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's weird because Nintendo is usually quite ready to charge your full price for a virtual console game again, for the 4th time in a row now it'd be.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

It's weird because Nintendo is usually quite ready to charge your full price for a virtual console game again, for the 4th time in a row now it'd be.

There's been a lot of pushback to the idea of having to pay yet again for VC games on Switch, even though Nintendo never suggested they were going to do it (but have a limited infrastructure on their backend to validate prior ownership in several cases). The waters are also murky since hero-of-consumer-rights Microsoft is letting people pay previous-gen titles for free if they own them in any form.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

univbee posted:

There's been a lot of pushback to the idea of having to pay yet again for VC games on Switch, even though Nintendo never suggested they were going to do it (but have a limited infrastructure on their backend to validate prior ownership in several cases). The waters are also murky since hero-of-consumer-rights Microsoft is letting people pay previous-gen titles for free if they own them in any form.

There's a really weird subset of people who think it is ok to charge again for a license someone already owns. You bring up the fact that digitally owning a 360 game automatically gives you access to it on xbone if it is BC, and for some reason they are worried about Nintendo's profits and say it isn't fair for Nintendo to give people access to games they already bought.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean the wildest bit about what Microsoft is doing is that it seems like Xbox 360 Live service is never going to die. By this point since the launch of the 360, they'd already announced they'd be shutting down original Xbox Live and then it was actually dead the next year. Now it's like, they're just going to keep it going forever for backwards-compatible games to stay working, and also therefore the 360 live marketplace staying up back on 360 to support it.

The only thing that's really shutting down is the XBLIG service - which by the way you still have two weeks remaining to buy any XBLIGs you didn't already own, after the new uploads were halted in October 2016! And you'll still be able to redownload your purchases.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have a suspicion they can't legally "shut it down" (at least not fully) due to people's digital libraries, and consumer laws in many countries, and implementing the backwards compatibility was a practical way to still get mileage from it (and generate customer goodwill in doing so). I think PSNow's existence can largely be attributed to this, too.

Cojawfee posted:

There's a really weird subset of people who think it is ok to charge again for a license someone already owns. You bring up the fact that digitally owning a 360 game automatically gives you access to it on xbone if it is BC, and for some reason they are worried about Nintendo's profits and say it isn't fair for Nintendo to give people access to games they already bought.

Reminds me of how Apple managed to twist most of the big movie studios' arms into giving everyone free 4K upgrades (i.e. now you just own "the movie" and get it in whatever the current highest definition is), when before resolution upgrades were "pay us another $25+ for a new copy. Upgrade pricing? How about go gently caress yourself?"

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

I have a suspicion they can't legally "shut it down" (at least not fully) due to people's digital libraries, and consumer laws in many countries, and implementing the backwards compatibility was a practical way to still get mileage from it (and generate customer goodwill in doing so). I think PSNow's existence can largely be attributed to this, too.

Nah. They shut down the original Xbox Live on the original Xbox despite people having digital libraries (a few dozen DLC and then like a dozen downloadable Arcade titles) and they did so in 2010 when any such consumer protection laws would have been in place. The purchases and redownloads got cut off with the multiplayer going down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

I mean the wildest bit about what Microsoft is doing is that it seems like Xbox 360 Live service is never going to die. By this point since the launch of the 360, they'd already announced they'd be shutting down original Xbox Live and then it was actually dead the next year. Now it's like, they're just going to keep it going forever for backwards-compatible games to stay working, and also therefore the 360 live marketplace staying up back on 360 to support it.

The only thing that's really shutting down is the XBLIG service - which by the way you still have two weeks remaining to buy any XBLIGs you didn't already own, after the new uploads were halted in October 2016! And you'll still be able to redownload your purchases.

Did XBLIG produce a single good game? I remember it being hilarious for the demos but that was about it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Nah. They shut down the original Xbox Live on the original Xbox despite people having digital libraries (a few dozen DLC and then like a dozen downloadable Arcade titles) and they did so in 2010 when any such consumer protection laws would have been in place. The purchases and redownloads got cut off with the multiplayer going down.

Yeah but I think there's a quantity issue, plenty of people have 360 digital libraries they paid hundreds or even several thousands into, which I think reaches a point where there'd be a decent enough number of impacted individuals to try and class action Microsoft.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

veni veni veni posted:

Did XBLIG produce a single good game? I remember it being hilarious for the demos but that was about it.

super amazing wagon adventure

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

One Finger Death Punch, the whole "Quiet, Please!" series of short little adventure games, the Solar series, the original versions of DLC Quest, Red Tie Miner series, Diehard Dungeon, Escape Goat, Gateways, Super Amazing Wagon Adventure, Vidiot Game, a bunch of others.

Of course at this point like 90% of these are either straight up on Steam, or have sequels on it. Some of it were always planned to be on Steam but since they came out back when Steam wouldn't shovel 500 lovely clone games on a day, you could wait like a year plus to actualyl get approved, so they'd release on 360 Indie Games first.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Syrinxx posted:

Can we just have Jade Empire with achievements thx in advance

OG Xbox games aren't getting achievements (stated by Mike Ybarra, I don't want to find the tweet but TRUST ME)

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's coming "later this year."

The only confirmed games are Fuzion Frenzy and Crimson Skies.

(though i'm still holding out for drake of the 99 dragons.)

No JSRF, no buy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sure it's aged terribly but I'd probably buy the first Splinter Cell again. I was absolutely obsessed with that game when it came out. IIRC it sort of outdid Metal Gear by a mile in the gameplay dept. although it didn't have a fraction of the personality.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm sure it's aged terribly but I'd probably buy the first Splinter Cell again. I was absolutely obsessed with that game when it came out. IIRC it sort of outdid Metal Gear by a mile in the gameplay dept. although it didn't have a fraction of the personality.

I revisited that one recently on the PC. It is clunky as HELL. If you're going to play an XBox Splinter Cell, go with Chaos Theory Brought To You By Axe BodySpray

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I hope they re-release the first SC and it's so authentically emulated that it works as a softmod bootloader.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

I hope they re-release the first SC and it's so authentically emulated that it works as a softmod bootloader.

I'm a 007 Everything or Nothing man myself

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Monster Hunter World is going to be Xbox One X enchanced.

TheScott2K posted:

I'm a 007 Everything or Nothing man myself

MechAssault, man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“Adaptabullshit”" post="“476560191”"]
MechAssault, man.
[/quote]

Mechassault 2.

I don’t need a loving Ragnarok to win.:getin:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Metal Wolf Chaos or nothing.

Mech America Great Again

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 20, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Welp, according to Digital Foundry, Quantum Break on the Xbox One X is 1440p upscaled, and targeting but currently not consistently hitting 30fps.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

Welp, according to Digital Foundry, Quantum Break on the Xbox One X is 1440p upscaled, and targeting but currently not consistently hitting 30fps.

500 American Dollars

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

500 American Dollars

1440p is the 720p of 4K. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Non-scorpio xboxoxes are now available for preorder. They're nicer looking than the Scorpio edition imo.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

univbee posted:

Honestly, who was clamoring for that remaster?

univbee posted:

...and targeting but currently not consistently hitting 30fps.

:eyepop:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

univbee posted:

If this is the only "negative" news you can find about the Xbox One X to earn that Sony paycheque I feel sorry for you man. Hey, at least it's getting some love which is more than I can say for Bloodborne, etc.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I too personally prefer mediocre gameplay with an unstable framerate in 4K vs fun gameplay with a stable framerate in 1080p

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

hanyolo posted:

If this is the only "negative" news you can find about the Xbox One X to earn that Sony paycheque I feel sorry for you man. Hey, at least it's getting some love which is more than I can say for Bloodborne, etc.

You should rehost your picture, but anyway, the bad Quantum Break performance is pretty shameful considering how well it actually ran on the original Bone, where it's solid 30 FPS almost 100% of the time. Obviously it's not the final version so things could change, but still.

The Digital Foundry comparison video in question is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXklO1QEBek

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

univbee posted:

They said the same thing about Tomb Raider at 4k.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's very important that you realize certain things are suboptimal, and admit you are wrong for liking the incorrect video game.

Only then will we allow you to die.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

The Most Powerful Console

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

trash person posted:

I too personally prefer mediocre gameplay with an unstable framerate in 4K vs fun gameplay with a stable framerate in 1080p

Sure didnt have stable framerate at 1080 on the original console lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hanyolo posted:

Hey, at least it's getting some love which is more than I can say for Bloodborne, etc.

:thunk:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Univbees credibility is unassailable. Good day sir!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I didn't even realize scorpio edition was a separate thing. Well, glad that's what my preorder is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is the scorpio edition? It appears that one is green tinted or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

What is the scorpio edition? It appears that one is green tinted or something?

I have no idea but my Amazon order says scorpio edition. I think I get a free game?