Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

this series has been sitting on my hard drive for years now, I just haven't had the gumption to start it up-

just finished Season 3 and I'm really gonna miss Yang Wen-li sitting cross-legged on top of the command console, or playing with his beret when he's nervous - this show does an incredible job, better than most animated dramas, of displaying what a character is like or what they're thinking by how they act and what they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yep, it's one of the few shows I will still as an adult admit to people "I Watched Anime" about, and even occasionally still recommend. I still think it's the best space opera in any form of visual media period.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It really is the best anime. Not my personal favorite, not the first one I recommend for someone just starting anime, but just the best overall.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Finally some more info on the remake

Well maybe not much but hey it's still happening

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A PV on September 20 is news

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Volume 4: Stratagem is to be released tomorrow.

Edit: it is on my Kindle.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 20, 2017

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Volume 4: Stratagem is to be released tomorrow.

Edit: it is on my Kindle.

Aaaa glad I got my latest audible credits

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
You can now watch LOGH on HIDIVE in the US. They looked to be charing $3.99/month and are releasing it episodically with 4 episodes a week.

https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The hell is Hidive.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The hell is Hidive.

Some new US anime streaming service that could not handle the load of traffic for their inital launch today. Also probably Sentai's attempt of a streaming service.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

psyer posted:

You can now watch LOGH on HIDIVE in the US. They looked to be charing $3.99/month and are releasing it episodically with 4 episodes a week.

https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes

And, uh, did they subtitle it themselves, or just steal CA's?
And if they did it themselves, are they any good?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If they don't translate foppery and whim appropriately then it's hot garbage.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

And, uh, did they subtitle it themselves, or just steal CA's?
And if they did it themselves, are they any good?

I believe Sentai, which has the licenses, subtitle them. And based off of Sentai history, their subtitle for this are probably poor.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I really liked the manga but it stopped getting scanlated a year ago. Does anyone know if its still going strong in Japan?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I still haven't started the final season because I don't want it to be over-

was just thinking about the end credits in S3, the wedding party photo slideshow, and how its context changes dramatically over the course of the season. Can't think of another show that pulls that off

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Pewdiepie posted:

I really liked the manga but it stopped getting scanlated a year ago. Does anyone know if its still going strong in Japan?

It is. There's over 60 chapters out.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Can anyone confirm if the official stream includes the name plates?

I've heard it doesn't and that would be a very silly decision to make.

This show has too many characters to ignore all the helpful labels.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ragg posted:

It is. There's over 60 chapters out.

What the hell scanlators...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is this the crazy manga that gender-swaps Rubinsky

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

More importantly is Rubinskaya still bald

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
This looks incredibly ugly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEm5aaWHgI

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It doesn't look nearly as bad as you made it sound. The only problem is the pretty boy animeface going on with the cast shown, and the greebling up of the formerly simple and incredibly good designs of the spaceships.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The CGI looks really tacky and while it might not look awful to you in the trailer, remember that it will account for more than 50% of some episodes, using CG which already looks massively aged. I also think the designs of all the characters is way off.

I am trying not to be a reactionary nerd about it, but so much of this feels like missed marks to me. It is too pretty.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Reinhard is perfect, but that's because he's supposed to be the prettiest of the anime pretty boys. Not really sold on Yang or Kircheis, but I want to see what other characters end up looking like as well.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Rein is basically unchanged. Kircheis is supposed to be quite a tall, strong lad, I don't mind him being bigger (but they took his nose in exchange for his strength). Yang sorta looks too... tidy? I guess. He is supposed to have this unkempt look about him, with untidy hair. He looks too strong, too confident.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
It probably doesn't help that I detest the sports anime look they went for with it in basically anything. It looks like I am going to watch them play tennis or go swimming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the aesthetic of the characters is pretty off putting considering the original, but if it holds to the standards of the original, I can live with far too pretty main characters I guess.

The ships really don't look that horrific for an episodic anime. They are just over detailed for the series which is a bummer since I loved the really sleek, sports car-esque look to the imperial ships, with very little arbitrary detailing, and the blocky, archaic look to the federation ones, that now just look like a different type of heavily armored high-tech.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That is not that bad. In fact if not for the preconceptions I have based on the OVA I'd probably say it looks really good. If nothing else I'm deeply amused by pretty boy Yang, no wonder nobody takes the poor guy seriously as an officer.

I would definitely like to wait and see other character designs though. There's a lot of dudes in LoGH and if they're all pretty boys it will get old fast. Whatever its visual failings, the OVA does a good job of making sure that you aren't going to get your Muellers mixed up with your Fahrenheits or your Bittenfelds with, well, anyone.

Mostly im just jazzed to see that this series is really going to happen and soon. Have they announced which books it will be covering?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It looks...
Okay I guess.

But yeah, the ships are too detailed and Yang is too youthful and clean-cut looking.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Looks great to me.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ships should be detailed. Yang is young and clean cut... he's a 22 year old officer. Mueller Fahrenheit and Bittenfeld are all pretty boys anyways. The only physical differences between them in the OVA are the hair and that Bittenfeld is more lantern jawed than the other two.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Ships should be detailed. Yang is young and clean cut... he's a 22 year old officer. Mueller Fahrenheit and Bittenfeld are all pretty boys anyways. The only physical differences between them in the OVA are the hair and that Bittenfeld is more lantern jawed than the other two.

I thought Yang was 33?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought Yang was 33?

Oh you're right I suck at math.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
yeah hes like in his 30s, nowhere near 22

rein is 22

bondster
May 6, 2007

It looks fine to me. In fact if thats the look they go with to try and bring in a new audience to Legend of the Galactic Heroes (especially outside of Japan) then go ham on the pretty.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also it's arguable that the OVA's art style was a product of it's time and that 30 years later it might be time for an update.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The OVA's art style is fine and not something I would think of as something you have to suffer through or excuse because of its era, unlike some 80s anime. It's worth remembering that it ran for like ten years. The last of the gaiden didn't come out till like 2000. Imo what's aged poorly about it isn't the design but cheapness and lack of consistency in the execution, and modern anime by no means always succeeds in those departments either.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Reinhard's flagship looks suitably flash while still sitting within his fleet more suitably though the Empire ships are a bit too sleek for military ships. Maybe kind of suits a faction focused on showing power more than actually wielding it. With better textures the Cg would look better but that's just a common curse as Japan gets itself together.

The Fed ships look nice and chunky but drat, the original series ships were some of my favourite ever so there's a lot to live up to. These don't do it but not to the degree that I'm going to hold it against them.

Reinhard looks fine for this era of anime. It's all a bit by the numbers but he comes off the best. Kircheis looks okay though I'll miss his curls from the original and his eyes don't look as friendly as they should. Yang looks a bit off but I'm going to wait to see him moving. A lot of Yang's character came out of his laid back manner more than his actual looks.

In the en the OVA isn't going anywhere and was amazing so this gets a lot of leeway to be it's own thing. At worst it'll be quickly resigned to a sad memory of what could have been, in all likelihood it'll get the series a new crop of fans who can check out the OVA as they wish and there's a tiny chance that it'll have strengths going for it that'll make it a joy to watch purely for itself and not just because it's more LoGH.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's not like the ovas were a particularly remarkable achievement of animation. The designs were standard for the time and the show itself was pretty stiff. The biggest issue is that there's no way this show is getting the like 75 episodes minimum you'd need to actually cover the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

It's not like the ovas were a particularly remarkable achievement of animation. The designs were standard for the time and the show itself was pretty stiff. The biggest issue is that there's no way this show is getting the like 75 episodes minimum you'd need to actually cover the story

Even just 26 for the first season would be fine, honestly