Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When Nagito was talking about the similarities of the cases between the 2 games, how were the 1st cases similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Double Punctuation posted:

Nagito is wrong. Hajime is The Ultimate Fanboy.

This is the real reason he dislikes him now. How can he compete with that kind of hypeman?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

When Nagito was talking about the similarities of the cases between the 2 games, how were the 1st cases similar?

I think it was that in both cases, someone panicked over the motive Monokuma used as bait, planned to murder someone to get out, and that the murder victim was killed by a kitchen utensil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mukuro and Fatogami were impaled. The first murder also had an attempt on a target's life (Leon, Nagito) only for someone else to wind up dead (Sayaka, Fatogami).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Glazius posted:

How does Chiaki know what's in the room?

...oh, dear.
Do you mean.....what happened when things went to poo poo at Hope's Peak?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah, they're saying only the killer and Nagito went into the final dead room therefore knowing what's inside makes her the killer.

But monokuma told everyone the weapon was inside so it was a moot point.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Can we go back to playing as Nagito now? Let's not be that useless second-stringer Hajime anymore.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 21, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
double post

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zoe posted:

Can we go back to playing as Nagito now? Let's not be that useless second-stringer Hajime anymore.

Hajime doesn't approve.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

Nagito is wrong. Hajime is The Ultimate Fanboy.

(The moral of the story is the whole concept of Ultimates is really loving dumb, if you somehow hadn't figured that out by now.)

If the Ultimates were any good at anything they'd probably not get murdered so easily. Makes you think.

FPzero posted:

Hajime doesn't approve.

Woah, what's this from?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also I love that Hajime's big twist is that he enrolled and paid to get into a school! Such scandal!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Woah, what's this from?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oGKgBssiPyA

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Also I love that Hajime's big twist is that he enrolled and paid to get into a school! Such scandal!

You're only supposed to get into a school if you're the best cheese connoisseur in the country, or if you can burp the alphabet backwards!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You ain't seen nothing yet. :kheldragar: :siren:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grouchio posted:

Do you mean.....what happened when things went to poo poo at Hope's Peak?

No, the Final Dead Room. She tells Hajime there's no food at the end, which seems an odd reassurance if she hasn't been through herself.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

No, the Final Dead Room. She tells Hajime there's no food at the end, which seems an odd reassurance if she hasn't been through herself.

Or she doesn't want him to play the Life-Threatening Game for the two very good reasons being that she doesn't want Hajime to risk his life, and that she probably doesn't want him getting a weapon and bringing it out where no good will come of it.

Monobear didn't even make a weasely promise that there would be food in there, so it's reasonable to assume that there isn't.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I don't think its Chiaki as there was way to much effort made by the killer to make it seem like it could not be anyone from Strawberry house...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Well, we had some disturbing revelations last time. Hajime's not an Ultimate? He's just some random high school student? But why would he be here with everyone else if that's the case? And the way Nagito is acting towards us now... I guess all we can do for the moment is put aside the questions and keeping investigating.
: Let's return to the scene of the crime.

: Hmph! I have returned from the depths of hell.
: G-Gundham!
: Yo... Sorry we're late.
: Just so you all know, it's all thanks to me! I'm the one who fixed the elevator!

: See, it's just as I said, right?
: Hey, are you even listening to me!? I'm trying to stand out here...!
: More importantly, Kazuichi, did you look into that matter I asked you about?

: Huh? Oh...that thing about the compass...? I looked into it while I was coming here, but I think this compass might be broken.
: I didn't ask for your opinion. Just tell me the results.
: Huh? W-Well...

: The compass needle rotated 180 degrees while we were riding the elevator...

...The needle rotated 180 degrees?

: I see... It's just as I thought.
: Huh? Hey, what do you mean by that?

: Well, obviously, the elevator most likely rotated 180 degrees.

The elevator...rotated?

: Now then...I should go investigate Nekomaru's body. *leaves*

As if he were thumbing his nose at us, Nagito began making his way toward Grape Tower.

: Th-The hell is wrong with him...? Doesn't he seem pissed off or somethin'?
: ...

Nagito... What do you know?

...How much do you know?

: Let's quickly talk to the others before going into the tower.

: As soon as I came over here, I checked this first but... It looks like the panel was definitely forced open.
: The elevator panel?
: Ah, um... It might be better if I explain how the elevator was broken, huh?
: No, I heard the gist of it from Nagito. They broke the elevator by tampering with the safety device, right?

: Oh, looks like word travels fast! Check out that panel over there. It's just as I thought. Looks like they forced open the panel, and changed the settings by tampering with the safety device.

It...definitely looks like the panel was forced open. Which means the elevator was broken at Grape House...

: I guess Nagito is like a tardy detective.
: ...What are you talking about?
: It's a trope in mystery games. They always come to the crime scene late, just to make an important discovery... But they can never reach the truth of the case. They just end up feeding the main character's assumptions.

: Well, in Nagito's case, he's not the type to feed anyone. He'll just make things even more complicated.
: That's true... He's such a troublesome person...

But lately, I feel like he's been acting weirder than usual...

: I don't think a new discovery is bad, though. He might be able to find something we completely overlooked.

: Nekomaru should be inside Grape Tower.
: ...Yeah.
: I'll go on ahead. We...were a little late... *leaves*

: Fuhahaha, I've made you wait!
: The time has come to destroy all murderous illusions...!

: Time to go back in.

: Gh! Nekomaru...! Are you...serious...!?
: Dammit...I don't know who did this, but...this is pretty hosed up...!
: Now's not the time to get sentimental. C'mon, we need to hurry up and investigate.
: But we've already investigated everything we can here.

: No you haven't... There's still something you should be able to investigate more thoroughly... Now that Mikan is no longer with us, we can't perform an autopsy...
: But Kazuichi should be able to disassemble the body, right?
: ...Eh?

: Is that true...? Are you going to disassemble Nekomaru's body?
: D-Don't screw with me! Hasn't coach Nekomaru been through enough already!?
: Been through enough...? We need to perform this investigation so we can find out who the killer is. Or perhaps you don't want to know, Akane? Maybe you don't care about what happened to Nekomaru...
: Wh-Why you...!

: If you suck at using your brain and you really want to know who the killer is, try not to interfere so much.
: Ugh...!
: C'mon Kazuichi... What are you standing there for?
: D-Dammit, fine! I just have to do it, right? I know I said I wanted to see his insides, but...not like this! This is just too much!
: C'mon... Are you guys feeling okay, too? Now's not the time to be staring into space.

Nagito... There's definitely something wrong with you. I thought he was just treating me differently ever since he found out I have no talent, but... It seems like that's not entirely the case.

His attitude toward everyone else is strange now, too... But why?

: ...I am terribly sorry...but I simply cannot investigate Nekomaru's body...

: ...I'm sure it's painful for Kazuichi to do something like this, too... We can't let this go to waste. We need to find something no matter what.

She's staring at Nekomaru's body with terrifying eyes...

: ...Hey! Blood's dripping from your fist!
: It's nothing... I was just holding back my anger...and dug my nails into my palm...

: This is nothing... It doesn't hurt at all...compared to Nekomaru...!
: Akane...
: I'll never forgive the killer! I'll beat 'em up so bad they'll never walk again!

: We've come so far... There's no way I can get sentimental at a time like this...! I feel awful for Nekomaru, but this is necessary if we're gonna find out the truth behind this case...!

As he forced out his voice through his clenched teeth... Kazuichi faced Nekomaru, his eyes full of determination, and began stabbing his tool knife into Nekomaru's body.

: Huh? Where did you get that tool knife?
: Nagito gave it to me... He said he had it ready before we even went to the amusement park.

So Nagito did that, too... It's like...Nagito has full control of the situation...

: Looks like...the damage to his head is the reason...
: ...Huh?
: The reason Nekomaru died...I mean, stopped functioning...

: His torso is covered in huge dents, and his parts are dislocated... Hmm... Maybe a gear shaft broke, too? Well, for now I tried disassembling Nekomaru's chest. That should help us learn something, right?

If that's the case... I need to look at Nekomaru's body one more time.

: Even mongrels like you possess a soul... And that soul resides within your heart... But no matter how hard you search the insides of this machine, you will never find a heart.
: So where did Nekomaru's soul wander off to...? It's interesting to think about, don't you agree?

: Let's check the body one more time.

Apparently Kazuichi is finished disassembling Nekomaru's body. I should probably check it out one more time.

: Kazuichi managed to open up Nekomaru's chest cover.

Nekomaru's chest panel is open... The clock inside is completely exposed.

The hands of the clock look like they're pointing to 7:30... Also...it looks like the clock's alarm was set for 7:30 a.m... Which means...this clock broke the moment the alarm started ringing at 7:30 a.m.?

But...7:30 a.m. is strange, right? I mean, we should've arrived at Grape Tower just before 7:00 a.m. for Monokuma Tai Chi.

: Is this clock malfunctioning...? No, wait...

: This is a highly efficient radio clock!
: ...Radio clock?
: It's a type of clock that receives radio signals so it can automatically update the time at fixed intervals. Simply put, it's an extremely accurate clock.

: That's right, it's a clock that will never slow down... It's even designed so that it cannot be adjusted.
: Gahahaha! I have become a Time Lord!
: Well, even if it's an accurate clock, they didn't need to install it inside your body...
: What are you saying!? I don't need to wear a wristwatch ever again! There's nothing more useful than this!

An accurate radio clock that never slows down, huh... If that's the case... Why does this broken clock say 7:30 a.m...?

: That's the only new thing to see on his body.

What's wrong with him...? He's crouching over Nekomaru's body, and it almost seems like he's glaring at him...

: Before we talk to him, Fuyuhiko returned. He was gone a moment ago for some reason.

: The Monokuma File isn't useful at all. Every time we get one, the information is all half-assed...

: Let me clarify. Don't get me wrong, but I'm sorry to say that I need you all to understand.
: You purposefully don't write anything specific enough to lead to the killer's identity on purpose, right?
: *GASP!*
: If I wrote something like that, you'd be able to find out who the blackened is!
: If that happens, the class trial won't get heated up!

: Then you shouldn't have prepared it in the first place!
: You stupid little sister! You don't understand at all! The number of fans who are eagerly waiting for the moment I present the Monokuma File...
: ...is over 100,000!
: 100,000 people!? You're just trying to scare me with made-up numbers...!
: It's not made up! I have proof, you know.

: Well... You wise guys should already know that!
: No they shouldn't!
: Don't make me say it! It's embarrassing! *leaves*
: I'm not! *leaves*

: ...Why did they come here again?
: I should've kept my mouth shut... Now I'm just exhausted...

: Alright, let's see why Nagito looks pissed off.

: Jeez... This is the worst...
: You guys overlooked an important clue. I swear, you're just the worst... As I thought...there's no way I can leave this to you guys.
: ...Wh-What are you talking about?

: I found this under a fragment of the pillar that tipped over...
: I-Is this...a doorknob...?
: Looks like the screws came out with it... That wouldn't happen unless you applied a ton of force to it. Plus, it looks like there are scratches near the base of the doorknob...
: Don't you think it's strange?

: If we examine the far back door in Grape Tower, the door knob is still intact, right?
: Now that you mention it...you're right...

: If that's the case...where did this doorknob come from?
: if it's not the door that leads to Strawberry Hall, then there's only one other possibility...

: It'd have to be the door connected to Grape Hall that we entered from, right?

: Well, it makes sense to think about it like that.
: We should try it out.
: Try it out? How?

: We take the elevator to Strawberry House, and we enter Strawberry Tower from Strawberry Hall... That's the only way we can see the other side of that door, right?
: But...the button to open the door in Strawberry hall is broken, right?
: We can just repair it. After all, we have the Ultimate Mechanic on our side.

: W-Well, you're right but...I need parts to repair the door in Strawberry Hall... I can repair it if it's broken, but if I don't have enough parts, there's not much I can do about it.
: But you have plenty of parts right here.

: Just use Nekomaru. I'm sure if you dig through his body you can find parts you can use.
: H-Hold on...! Are you saying...we should use parts from our dead friend!?
: It's called "recycling!" It's a much better alternative than disposing it with the rest of the junk, right?
: J-Junk...!?
: Well, Kazuichi? Is it possible or impossible?

: ...Like you said...I could probably use these parts to repair that button, but...
: S-Seriously, hold on! Even if you do repair the button, what's going to happen to the chain on the other side of the door?
: ...Chain?

: The door that leads to Strawberry Hall has a chain wrapped around the doorknob. Even if you fix the button on the Strawberry Hall side, the door won't open as long as that chain is there.

: You don't need to worry about that at all.
: ...Huh? I-I don't need to worry...? What does that mean?
: Kazuichi...we should go over to Strawberry Hall so you can repair the door.
: H-Hey...I'm not finished--

: Hajime...you're going to come later too, right? It'd be really bothersome if you didn't. I mean, if there's someone in the tower, the door won't open at all...
: So you should at least make sure you're not pulling my leg. *Nagito and Kazuichi leave*

After tersely saying that, Nagito left the area.

: What the hell happened to him? He seems on edge about something.
: Who knows?
: Ah, that reminds me... Nagito asked Kazuichi to do something weird for him, right?
: It had something to do with how the elevator spins 180 degrees... I wonder what it could mean...

: Actually, to tell you the truth... Nagito asked me to do something weird, too... He told me to investigate all the clocks inside both buildings.
: The clocks?
: So I did what he said and checked them all, but none of the clocks had their times messed up...
: But...why'd he ask me to do that in the first place? I don't get that bastard at all.

: For now...why don't we head over to Strawberry Tower, too? Along with the doorknob matter, there are still many mysteries surrounding this that we don't understand... If we go to Strawberry Tower, we might be able to solve some of those mysteries...maybe.
: Looks like that's all we can do. Let's head over.
: You're right...

What Nagito said about the door opening... What is he planning to do about the chain?

It looks like it won't come off easily...so does Nagito have a plan or something?

Jeez...I don't understand this at all...

: We need to go back to Strawberry Hall, but let's talk to the others first.

: Looks like everyone left. As long as Kazuichi finished his work, we should be able to open the door in Strawberry Hall...
: But there's still a chain, you know? If that's not removed, we won't be able to open the door.
: Yeah, that's right... Tch! That Nagito bastard...what in the world is he thinking...?

: Onward to the land of the dead! Strawberry Tower!

: Dammit... I...I...I can't do anything...! I never...paid him back... I can't even stop Nekomaru...from being used as evidence...!

: Why would Nagito say such cruel things...?
: The Nagito we know...would not talk like that, right? It is as if...he is a different person altogether!

Sonia's right... Nagito is definitely acting strange. But why...?

: Along with the doorknob matter, there are still many mysteries surrounding this that we don't understand... If we go to Strawberry Tower, we might be able to solve some of those mysteries. That is...if we can really enter from the other side.

: And then...I moved Hajime into a corner and held Up on the control stick for the next seven minutes while I browsed the forums on my phone. Hello thread!

: See, our Usami Pet is only 800 steps away from its final growth.

: After a few minutes of slamming Hajime into the wall, our Pet's ready to transform.

: But why would I stop and do this now of all times?

: Because the Usami Pet actually rewards you with a Skill for successfully raising it, among other gifts.

: And now we have a new pet. I might do something similar again and have Hajime walk around the islands for a while because there is one more type of Pet you can raise that hides a Skill. We'll see if we get there...

: Menacing Focus is the large Focus Gauge extension skill. I'm sure it'll come in handy, especially when paired with another skill I bought this chapter.

Thanks to Kazuichi, the elevator is working now...

: All right...let's go.

We walked into the elevator and made our way to Strawberry House.

: Holy crap this is a long investigation... Next time, maybe we get to the trial?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Well, houses being adjacent confirmed. But it looks like the Tower may move and rotate as well. Also, poor Nagito finds out his true love isn't an Ultimate AND believes this murder is actually a suicide... no wonder he's tetchy.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Considering he's being a giant dick to everyone, maybe that book he read stated that everyone is a fake Ultimate? It'd explain the mood change.

But considering the note made about clocks, I'm going to assume that all the clocks were changed by someone, and everyone not waking up on time for the Tai Chi was part of the plan.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Narsham posted:

Well, houses being adjacent confirmed. But it looks like the Tower may move and rotate as well.

I have to say, I'm surprised as anyone. I'm usually 100% wrong about stuff like that.

:woot:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, Nagito is officially done with everyone's poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Everyone's playing checkers, he's been playing chess for years.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Nagito will lead the new green revolution.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Kindly get hosed, Nagito t:mad:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Narsham posted:

Well, houses being adjacent confirmed. But it looks like the Tower may move and rotate as well. Also, poor Nagito finds out his true love isn't an Ultimate AND believes this murder is actually a suicide... no wonder he's tetchy.

I thought the two houses were stacked on top of each other, but the elevator rotating makes them being adjacent make more sense.

RedMagus posted:

Considering he's being a giant dick to everyone, maybe that book he read stated that everyone is a fake Ultimate? It'd explain the mood change.

But considering the note made about clocks, I'm going to assume that all the clocks were changed by someone, and everyone not waking up on time for the Tai Chi was part of the plan.

While it'd be hilarious if Nagito turned out to be the only Ultimate while the others are reserve course students, we've already seen some of them use their talents so it has to be something else.

As for the clock, Mechamaru said his clock can't be tampered with, so I'm guessing the note means that the culprit messed with the clocks in both houses. It's probably set earlier, so that the culprit could corner Mechamaru without anyone walking in.

Thinking about it some more, here's my speculation list for the suspects, from most likely to least likely:

Kazuichi - I thought he turned off Mechamaru, while Nagito was the one to "help" mess with the corpse at first, but it looks like I'm wrong. Still, he has the know-how to mess with Mechamaru's systems and how to mess with the elevator button and the SH Button. Probably planned to stall the investigation by saying it'd take him ages to fix the elevator button with no tools and that he can't fix the SH button with no parts, but Nagito screwed him over by giving him the multi-tool and saying he can use Mechamaru for parts.

Fuyuhiko - Was outside his room when the alarm clock went off. Suspiciously gone while Kazuichi was performing an autopsy on Mechamaru.

Gundham - Was also outside his room when the clock alarm went off, despite staying in one of the supposed soundproof deluxe rooms. It's a bit suspicious, but he could just be up really early.

Chiaki - Said some odd things that makes her sound like she knew what's inside the Octagon. Probably a misunderstanding, since she's been against the killings and has been helpful in trials from the very start.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder if Monobear jumped the clocks when everybody thought they should be asleep, just to grind the exhaustion down further.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Glazius posted:

Huh. I wonder if Monobear jumped the clocks when everybody thought they should be asleep, just to grind the exhaustion down further.
Why is Monokuma much more malicious than he was in DR1?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Grouchio posted:

Why is Monokuma much more malicious than he was in DR1?

my guess and easiest answer: Different operator. I mean given the mastermind's a pink smear

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Chiaki - Said some odd things that makes her sound like she knew what's inside the Octagon. Probably a misunderstanding, since she's been against the killings and has been helpful in trials from the very start.

Monomi has seen at least some of it, and I expect Chiaki is the "traitor" operating her or at least in communication with her. But it's a simple deduction that all the material used in the murder that wasn't carried into the Houses by students must have its origin in the Octagon.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The fact they call it the octagon makes me want Joe rogan and mike Goldberg doing commentary.

Who knows what weapons they'll find.... inside the octagon.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Glazius posted:

What, like the mandatory morning exercises wasn't enough to wear them down?

Oh yeah, I'm back, by the way. Took a while to catch up, but since my prediction sheet went south, I'm just enjoying the suspense.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I thought the two houses were stacked on top of each other, ...

I'd subscribe to this theory. I think the trap-door that Nagito found leads either to the other house or it looks down on the shared room. Could have dropped something from that trapdoor onto Mechamaru if that's the case, which wouldn't require a lot of energy.

Were we able to see either of these buildings from a map or while walking around, or are they entirely off-screen given that the gang didn't exactly walk in the front door?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's been a while since I've come to Strawberry House...

: Hey, you're here...
: Kazuichi...how'd the repairs go?
: Yeah, well...the damage wasn't too bad once I got the parts, so I was able to fix it right away.
: You've got a lotta nerve sayin' that when you used Nekomaru's parts without my permission...!
: W-Well...I mean...even so...

: Anyway, now that we're all here, why don't we hurry up and try it out? What will happen if you press the button to Strawberry Hall's door...?
: But there's no way it'll open. You haven't done anything about the chain.

: The door to Strawberry Hall behind Nekomaru's body was blocked off by that chain, remember? If you didn't do anything about that, it doesn't even matter if you fixed the button on the outside...

: Well, we'll know if we try it out.
: It's not even worth tryin' it out!
: No... We've all come this far. If he's saying we should try it out, then we should give it a shot.
: Yeah, that'd be great.

: No one has anything interesting to say or just repeats a recent line. Let's try the repaired button.

There's no way this door will open... Not when the other side is chained up.

With a feeling of resignation, I pressed the button...

: Huh...?

: Wh-Why did it open!?
: I-Impossible! Where did the chain go!?
: Hold on a sec... That's not the only thing that's strange.
: That's right... There's no other way to say it, this definitely looks weird.
: What do you mean...huh?

: Hey, doesn't this all look the same as when we were in Grape Tower?
: Yeah, you're right... When we were inside Grape Tower... Nekomaru's body was in front of the far back door.

: Which means his body should be in front of the door to Strawberry Hall... So if we entered from Strawberry Hall, his body should be right in front of the door as we walk in...

: Why...isn't it like that? Why is Nekomaru's body in front of the door to Grape Hall!?

: Not just that...the parts that I carefully arranged when I disassembled the body all moved, too.
: The body isn't the only thing that moved. Even the tipped over pillar and the spilled oil... They've all moved the exact same way...

The crime scene looks identical to how we saw it when we entered from Grape Hall...

Everything that was at the crime scene inside Grape Tower shifted to the opposite side...

As if it all rotated 180 degrees, right? I can't imagine that the floor actually rotated 180 degrees but...

...Is that really what this means? No...it's more than that. I feel like there's an even greater mystery here... A mystery so great that it could drastically affect the outcome of the case...

We might have to rethink this... We might need to fundamentally rethink how we've been approaching this case...

: The chain disappeared... This strange feeling I felt when I went back and forth between the two towers...
: Yep, just as I thought. It was definitely the right choice to confirm this.
: Just as you thought...? Then you already knew about this mystery...
: You have a bad habit of relying on others when you don't understand. Why don't you try investigating first?
: That door at the far back with the picture of a grape on it. Maybe there's a clue hidden there?

There's a clue...on that door?

: Dammit... What the hell is going on? Where did the chain go? Not just that, it looks like Nagito totally predicted this... What does that mean...?

: I might have figured out the reason behind the chain's disappearance!
: Seriously!?
: Perhaps...what made this incomprehensible phenomenon possible is...
: Magic! Miiiiiindfreak!
: Miiiiiindfreak!

I'm sorry, Sonia... I have no idea what you're talking about...

: Why were we able to go inside from Strawberry Hall? This doesn't make any sense...
: Hey, where'd the chain go!?
: I don't know either...
: What if the chain was rigged to automatically fall off when the door opened?
: Even if it automatically fell off, where did the chain disappear to? There wasn't anything in front of the door when it opened.
: It was sucked into the door...that's not possible, huh? Man, this definitely doesn't make any sense...

: Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! It opened!? Why did Nekomaru move? Even the parts I carefully arranged all moved, too!

: ...Was it really okay...to come here? Still, I'm starting to see the truth behind this case...
: ...I think.

I wish she'd at least say things with a bit more confidence...

: Kehehe, I see...
: Fuhahaha! I feel it! Remnants of the winds of hell... How I've missed you!
: It appears that the Netherworld is behind this occurrence. Fortunately, for you humans... The portal created by the demon's power was too small, so it existed in this realm for only a brief second...
: But the portal's impact managed to dislodge the chain... And it was sucked into the portal as it closed shut! This is the truth behind the chain's disappearance!

It's the door with the picture of grape on it... This should lead to Grape Hall.

: ...Wait, huh?

: One of the doorknobs is gone? It's like the screws came out with it...!

: It's the same...as that doorknob that was on the floor... See, the screws came out with it, right?
: Then the doorknob next to Nekomaru's body came off the door to Grape Hall.
: Well, that's what it looks like.

When you said "clue"...were you talking about this? But...what is it a clue to?

: Huh... Did you get even more confused?
: No need to worry. Just one clue will change everything...
: All the mysteries will be solved, as if everything were linked together, if you can reach it...

: Just like I did.

What...does that mean? ...Even if I ask him that, Nagito probably won't give me an answer. So it'd just be a waste of time to ask...

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: It appears...that it's time for the class trial...
: To tell ya the truth, I'm tired! Extremely tired! I feel like spending the rest of my life hibernating already! man, I know it's bad but I'm so sleepy. I just wanna ditch. Phew... Though I really don't feel like it... I'll show you my serious side when you come to the class trial... Even though it's impossible since it's so annoying...you can count on me to take this seriously...

: Looks like it's going to start... Another class trial...!

: But...how are we supposed to get to the trial ground?
: You're right...we can't do anything unless we get out of this building...
: ...Hm? Hmmmm?
: Akane... Did something happen?

: No...well...do you guys hear something...?
: Hear something?
: What do you hear this ti--?

Suddenly, as if cutting off Chiaki, our surroundings started to shake and rumble...

And then, it suddenly appeared before us.

Music fades out.

*RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*

: ...I-Is he telling us to go inside from here!?

: ...Seems that way.
: All right! I'm gonna go! Just hold on Nekomaru! I'll make sure I avenge you! *leaves*
: Jeez, at least be a little cautious. It's obviously a trap. *leaves*
: I agree. I detect the scent of danger. Even my familiars are saying, "Do not go inside..."

: How interesting! If you can kill me, you're welcome to try! Try stabbing your sword through my very heart!
: Fuhahahahahaha! *leaves*
: N-Now then...we shall get moving as well. *leaves*
: Yeah, you're right. *leaves*
: It's annoying but...if Miss Sonia is going, there's no way I'm not gonna go...
: Argh, but it's so drat annoying! *leaves*

I guess it doesn't matter if it's a trap or not... One by one, everyone went into Monokuma Rock. Until...I was the only one left, and when I was about to take a step forward...

Music fades out.

: We're the same... The same...stepladders...

Nagito was suddenly standing next to me with his eyes locked on to Monokuma Rock. Other than the small movements of his mouth, he was perfectly still.

: You and I...are just stepladders. For everyone who holds the title of Ultimate... I always believed that I didn't mind... Unlike you I know my place.
: Wh-What are you...saying...?
: That's why I was prepared to become a sacrifice at any time. And from that, true hope would be born... I always believed that the talent that survived would be true hope.

: But it wasn't! There is no hope amidst all this killing!
: O-Of course there isn't! What kind of hope comes from killing people!?
: Hm? Really...? Are you suggesting...that sacrificing others for hope isn't real hope...? But...you're wrong. It's only natural and extremely obvious that strong hope devours weak hope.
: After all, that's what it means to live, right!?
: Th-There's no way I'm going to accept that...!

: Oh well... It's not like that's what I wanted to say to you anyway.
: There's this one novel I like... It's a peculiar mystery story...
: ...Huh? A novel?

: The story is told from the point-of-view of a high school girl involved in a serial killer mystery... But when you get to the end...
: Surprise, surprise! The girl was actually the killer! Of course, the story is written carefully so the reader doesn't learn the ending in the middle of the story... The protagonist is just a projection of the reader... And this projection turns out to be the killer... Which means the killer you were looking for the whole time was inside you all along... How do you feel about novels like that?
: Wh-What the heck are you talking about...? You're just jumping from one topic to another... And...I can't comment on a book that I've never read before.

: ...Such a normal answer. I should've expected that from a talentless Reserve Course student like you.
: Gh...!
: But... I know that you don't matter at all, so why do I care about you? You admire hope... I love hope...

: In some ways we're similar, but maybe that difference is what's making me so emotional.
: Enough already! I don't have time to argue with you! Let's go! Everyone is waiting!
: Everyone, huh...? So you still believe you're just like everyone else...

: Reserve Course students are so full of themselves! Heh, heh...hahahahahahaha! *leaves*

Nagito's chilling laugh continued as he disappeared into Monokuma Rock.

: Calm down...
: That's right... I need to calm down...

I took several deep breaths, and once my nerves had settled... I stepped into Monokuma Rock.

No Music.

The elevator shook violently as it descended at an ever-increasing speed...

: When we're in a normal elevator that shakes this bad... It reminds me how efficient that elevator in the Funhouse was...
: Yeah...that's probably true...

The elevator continued to shake... And descended deeper...and deeper...

And suddenly... It stopped, like it always does...

...and the door opened.

: I understand your desire to applaud this wonderfully vulgar trial ground...
: But it's so exhausting to discuss useless things, so let's just get on with it already!
: Ugh... So sad... My chest hurts... Forcing everyone to do this is so sad...

: Hey hey! Don't go talking without permission after I've said my catchphrase!
: Otherwise I'll roll a dice and based on the result, I'll give you a sex change operation that many times!
: What an extreme punishment!
: Now then, let's get on with it once again!
: Let's get a move on, boys and girls!

...And so it begins.

I hoped this would never happen again, and now it's happening for the fourth time...

The curtain to the fourth class trial...was about to open.

Nekomaru Nidai, the Ultimate Team Manager...

He was more passionate...more daring...more honest than anyone I'd ever met... Truly, he was more man than any of us. He sacrificed his body to protect Akane, and his appearance changed drastically because of that... But...he still tried to live earnestly. And just when I finally got used to his new form...

Nekomaru's killer...

...is one of us.

Killing someone because it's the only way to survive...is no excuse.

...I won't let this be excused.

I won't forgive this.

The person who betrayed Nekomaru... Who betrayed their friends...

...I will never, ever forgive them!

And so...

...this life-threatening trial billowing with hope and despair...

...has begun.

: Welcome to the 4th Class Trial!
: The ticker along the bottom reads the following:

"An intense survival game awaited at the Funhouse. Right when everyone had their backs to the wall, Nekomaru was killed... The barrier to the Final Dead Room has been broken, and the Ultimate Weapon rises from its deep sleep!"

: We have some new skills to equip for this Trial. The first is Menacing Focus, obtained from our Usami Pet last update. It will greatly increase the size of our Focus Gauge for 7 SP.

: We also got Trance for finishing Nagito's Free Time Events. Too bad we became "best friends" with him before he decided to become the biggest jackass in the world to us. I've never used it before but it sounds like Trance will help make Panic Talk Actions a little easier by making the speed increases from getting combos occur more frequently. It takes 6 SP.

: It was then that I realized I hadn't spent my Hope Fragments for this chapter so I decided to buy Neural Liberation before we head on in. This was one that I debated buying last trial but passed on for Algorithm instead.

: Neural Liberation decreases the rate at which your Focus Gauge depletes. Combined with Menacing Focus, we now have the ability to use Focus-related stuff pretty freely. Not to mention with Delusion we can heal any damage we might take from wrong answers, bad Hangman Gambit matches, etc. Very useful skill to have for another 7 SP.
: The full list of skills we'll be taking into this trial is Envious Influence, Fine Sword, Delusion, Algorithm, Upshift, Cool and Composed, Trance, Menacing Focus, and Neural Liberation for a total of 49/57 SP used.

: Lastly, our Truth Bullets.

: ...the cause of death.
: Despite the fact that his arms and legs are dismembered, these limbs were actually designed to be detachable, and it seems they separated due to a severe impact.
: Aside from that, several other areas of his body are damaged. Because of this, many of his functions seem to have shut down.

: ...who didn't hear it...

: ...originally attached to that door.

: And with that, join me next time for Trial 4.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Of course! We were all so blind! Of course Nagito can't be Makoto! He's far too good of a detective. Maybe even... THE ULTIMATE DETECTIVE! Nagito is secretly Kirigiri in drag!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hey! Wish I could join in on the conversation regarding the mystery, but I know it already...So I'd like to chime in to tell FP he is still doing a phenomenal job, and to give all newbies to this stories the following advice at this juncture:

If you haven't been watching the videos to the trials... start. With this trial and every trial following, and every time there is a video/audio file: listen to it and don't skip. You will not get the full effect of the following scenes unless you do, and you really want to do that; the voice acting in these games has never been bad, but just as the first, the essential quality skyrockets. I will not say why, of course... but I strongly encourage you to listen

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Looks like I was right about the rotating room. Just the layout of the maps made me suspicious.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

If you haven't been watching the videos to the trials... start. With this trial and every trial following, and every time there is a video/audio file: listen to it and don't skip. You will not get the full effect of the following scenes unless you do, and you really want to do that; the voice acting in these games has never been bad, but just as the first, the essential quality skyrockets. I will not say why, of course... but I strongly encourage you to listen

^Listen to resurgam y'all.

(Also aww I was looking forward to your commentary!)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FPzero posted:

: I might have figured out the reason behind the chain's disappearance!
: Seriously!?
: Perhaps...what made this incomprehensible phenomenon possible is...
: Magic! Miiiiiindfreak!
: Miiiiiindfreak!

I'm sorry, Sonia... I have no idea what you're talking about...

Sonia was secretly the best character this whole time. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alright, so, timeline of events.

- The killer asks Mechamaru to meet him in the central room at around 5 AM (Fuyuhiko sees him walking downstairs), ambushes him, smashing his Sleepy Time button with the hammer. Mechamaru goes unconcious.

- The killer ties Mechamaru with the steel cable, loops it around the column, and ties to the door handle. Then he sets Mechamaru's internal wake-up alarm for 7.30 AM.

- The killer goes to both strawberry house and grape house and turns the clocks back two hours, and sets the alarms of the strawberry house clock for 5.30 AM (which is really 7.30 AM, since the clocks have been turned back two hours).

- At 7.30 AM the alarm clock goes off, and wakes up the guys, who go to turn it off. At the same time, the killer pushes the grape house button, the room moves (upwards or downwards, it's an elevator), and the cable pulls the heavy column on top of Mechamaru. CRUNCH, Mechamaru's dead; the door handle comes off, pulled by the metal cable, and Akane and the guys (minus Nagito) hear the crashing sound.

- Everyone goes back to sleep. The killer goes to grape house, goes into the central room and chains up the back door (to fudge things a bit), sets the alarm clock back to the original time, breaks the elevator, and climbs through the passage Nagito used to get to grape house into the Final Dead Room, comes out, smashes the central room button, and goes back to sleep.

I'm still convinced it's Gundham, though my evidence isn't really solid, and it's mainly because of these points: one, Gundham shouldn't have heard the alarm clock go off because he was in the soundproof room, but did, as if he had his room's door slightly ajar and was waiting for the alarm to go off (to establish an alibi, of course); two, Gundham is the only one who has the ability to remotely push the room buttons, thanks to his hamsters.

• Locked thread