Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MomJeans420 posted:

WTF? They spent time and money making that happen?

To be fair to GM, there was a bypass switch next to the shifter under a hidden tiny little cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Root Bear posted:

Had a late 90's Ford Expedition towed in with only the ability to move in reverse, and even that was a dangerous thing to do. Why you ask? Well...

Driver side rear lower control arm:

Passenger side rear lower control arm:

Aside from the obvious rust and corrosion, the one bitch about having to change these lower arms is that the bracket holding the front bolt on the driver's side arm is located directly next to the fuel tank, and the bolt head is always oriented on the tank side from the factory. Which means you have to either loosen and shift the fuel tank away from the frame rail enough for the bolt to clear, or bend and contort the brackets just enough to finagle the bolt past the tank.
It's a little hard to see on the pic I posted above, but that should hopefully give some idea of what I'm referring to.

I have no idea how they didn't destroy something in the drive-train when the diff rolled and pitched upwards until the u-joint jammed. Aside from some gouging and scuffing on the yoke and joint, the shaft still spins straight and amazingly had no vibrations on the test drive afterwards. :shrug:

Oh, it also had this lovely exhaust setup:

Well, this happened to me. (Not the one pictured, and is somewhat of a common problem in the rust belt)

Always thought you just saw off the bolts with the fuel tank.

As for what happened on mine, it is a good story. Started out snapping the pinion yoke a mile from my house after a 2,000 mile road trip.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Continued all the way through the fourth gen as well, which makes sense since the fourthgen was nowhere near a clean-sheet design. Official repair method is to drop the tank, which means dropping the rear axle too.

Suffice it to say that home-cut access holes are very common.

Edit: Holy gently caress it would not be hard to do a better job than that tin snip butcher, though.

I worked on a third gen that was towed in with a no-start. I dutifully diagnose that there is no fuel pressure and that it needs a pump. Pull back the carpet and what do I see? a hack job of a hole that the guy gave up on because he realized that the metal lines are part of the sending unit and couldn't get it out through his automotive goatse.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Joe Mama posted:

automotive goatse.

Either new thread title or account name change, can't decide which

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Horrible Mechanical Failures: His improvised automotive goatse certainly was NSFW.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Horrible Mechanical Failures: His improvised automotive goatse certainly was NSFW.

no piston ring

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cindy Shitbird posted:

no piston ring

Or dangling truck nuts.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
He really had to wrench it to get it open.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Either new thread title or account name change, can't decide which

"Post your most AG pictures". "Automotive Goatse Makes Joe Mama Go Crazy. Automotive Goatse Makes....."

I just wish I could have taken a picture but this was back in the Nokia Brick days and no one had a camera. Stuff like this is just funny as well as facepalm inducing. "Customer says it cranks and won't start. No idea why." (Finds goatse that had to have taken the guy a couple hours). Why people feel the need to try to hide or play dumb about their gently caress-ups, I don't know. You brought it to a shop because you couldn't hack your way through a repair and hosed it up more. Just say so for gently caress's sake. It's not like I'm going to miss your WTF "repair".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

the old Volvo XCs would go this route too as you'd literally have to take the back 2/3 of the wagon apart to drop the tank.
80s camaros are another.

The shittiest i've played ball with was a 3/4 ton burb with a huge skidplate and a fully laden tank.

Protip for hole cuttin: go to the yards and cut out a larger chunk than you'd need, then go home and play surgery with your car, then lay the patch over it with your favorite choice of fasteners or seamsealer.

Won't lie, I'm thinking of something similar when I convert my '70 Cutlass to EFI, but I think I'll be using one of the dzus fastened hatches from Speedway.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Did someone say automotive goatse?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
that ring

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Someone mangled the drivetrain of a stock-ish looking C5 on the spray at the dragstrip: https://imgur.com/gallery/p2mLk

A sample:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
It looks like a monster lying on its side. "I'm just gonna take a nap here. Don't mind me."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It looks like a monster lying on its side. "I'm just gonna take a nap here. Don't mind me."

Wow, now I can't unsee that.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Holy crap it's a Troggle.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Beach Bum posted:

Someone mangled the drivetrain of a stock-ish looking C5 on the spray at the dragstrip: https://imgur.com/gallery/p2mLk

A sample:

Also note, owner used to have spray on the car, but took it off because he was worried about the drive line.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I like the poster trying to blame "poor engineering" for poo poo wearing out and breaking when you double the output the car was designed for.

"Chevrolet uses a single trans mount on these cars to handle ALL of the torque." Well, I guess if you ignore the engine mounts, and the torque tube/transaxle mounts, then yeah it's just the one thing. God, what crappy engineering, I can't believe the drivetrain falls out when you overload everything holding it in, wearing them out, what a design oversight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's almost like GM had other design considerations for the boomers buying Corvettes that weren't "will it survive nitrous launches on slicks".

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
how do i tell my friend he cannot do an alignment on a car by eye when he has adjustable loving everything

currently "its setup right" means "my 9" wide wheels are not touching the spring when its sitting still"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SquirrelGrip posted:

how do i tell my friend he cannot do an alignment on a car by eye when he has adjustable loving everything

currently "its setup right" means "my 9" wide wheels are not touching the spring when its sitting still"

Get him drunk?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A lot of shops will check it for free. They should give him a printout showing just how awful it is.

Because if he's doing it by eye, it is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He'll have to take it to a specialty shop since most places won't touch aftermarket adjusters, and are staffed by people that play with the adjusters until the measurement goes green in the Hunter software.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
oh its awful no doubt about it, it doesnt get driven because its so lovely to drive but he cant put 2 and 2 together

i organised someone to check it out for him for free but he had an argument with them. best part is he raves about how nice mine drives even though it has dumb size wheels and is too low, and i should hook him up with the guy who did it :psyduck:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just wait 3,00 miles when his tires are completely hosed and say "told you so."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I recently drove my Corvette to an alignment shop 30 miles away after replacing a bunch of 50 year old suspension bits. It was "eyeballed" to be close enough to drive reasonably safely for this trip. It was slow to react to steering inputs, but the reactions were dramatic. Correcting for crosswinds made things very interesting. It was not something I would want to drive regularly. Getting a simple alignment cost less than the loving tie rods and made a world of difference. I can't wrap my brain around refusing to get it checked, at least.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

A sample:

TheRagamuffin posted:

Holy crap it's a Troggle.

gently caress that just brought me WAY back.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress that just brought me WAY back.

A few years back I tried to bodge together a Wolfenstein 3D style shooter where the enemies are trogs and you play the guy from math blaster. Wonder where I put the code for that...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Godholio posted:

I recently drove my Corvette to an alignment shop 30 miles away after replacing a bunch of 50 year old suspension bits. It was "eyeballed" to be close enough to drive reasonably safely for this trip. It was slow to react to steering inputs, but the reactions were dramatic. Correcting for crosswinds made things very interesting. It was not something I would want to drive regularly. Getting a simple alignment cost less than the loving tie rods and made a world of difference. I can't wrap my brain around refusing to get it checked, at least.

That sounds like how my car reacts after Costco does an alignment. Maybe they're also fans of "eyeballing it."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your Costco does alignments? The ones here do tires and batteries only.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your Costco does alignments? The ones here do tires and batteries only.

They said they aligned my tires, but they were either lying or did a poo poo job. Repeatedly. Now I go to the places my co-worker recommends that do computerized load-force balancing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, tires don't get aligned, so that's a warning sign right there. You sure you're not mixing up balancing and alignment? Either one can gently caress up the way a car handles.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Costco doesn't offer alignments.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They rotated my tires, it was a real quick job *spin*

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Ugh, you're right, I do totally have my terminology mixed up. :psyduck:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
lovely tire shops that don't do alignments are happy to keep their wording vague and let you think everything is good to go.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have a dude at a local shop who lets me sit in the car while he aligns it to my own preferred spec. It's pretty much the best.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

I have a dude at a local shop who lets me sit in the car while he aligns it to my own preferred spec. It's pretty much the best.

I always lol when I remember the story of the fat woman who was asked to sit in her car while they aligned it. She got super upset but c'mon give those dudes a raise because that's attention to detail.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I knew a guy who did that when he got his wheels aligned - he weighed in at over 4 bills so he knew he was contributing to any issues. He had a Falcon GT and when he traded it in to the dealership I worked at, the driver's seat was reclined all the way back and wouldn't go up to a normal position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Back when I autocrossed regularly, I found a shop that would let me sit in it while they aligned it to my specs. Shops like that are awesome.