Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

alg posted:

open floor plan

Printers and phones support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The corporate thread will help, but here's a few things to check.

1. Coffee and drink availability. No free coffee is a red flag. Free sodas is a perk. Free booze, could be great, but might indicate bad planning.

2. Open plan vs. cubicles. If it's an open plan, watch out, especially if you're expected to do phone work. Find out if people have permanent desks. If it's open plan, there should be team rooms that groups can have short meetings in.

3. Bathrooms. Check out the toilet paper. Sniff around for foul odors. Make sure there are enough stalls for the number of people working. Check the paper towels.

4. Fun atmosphere. Ideally it should be a little fun, people should have pictures of family or a few goofy objects on their desks, maybe a doodle or joke on a white board. Cubicles that are showing structural damage from endless Nerf wars are a bad sign. Too much fun.

5. Maybe keep an eye out for books. You probably want to see books on current technologies, not windows NT manuals.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't get free coffee at my job but I'm super happy. I definitely would never consider an open floor plan, ever

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for open floor plans, and I've cross-posted to the corporate thread.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

jaegerx posted:

You're in the wrong thread.

E: pretty sure only me and clam down are actually happy at our jobs.
Ostensibly, I like my job. More and more I feel like the only one who 'gets' my job, and I mean of people who work there.

There's a throwaway scene in a movie no one remembers (Moneyball), where the lead character goes around the table and asks everyone else "what's the problem we're trying to solve?" and everyone is incorrect, and the lead character is correct (because if he wasn't, he wouldn't be the lead character). That's how I've been feeling at my job lately.

The problem we're trying to solve is providing a robust infrastructure so we can guarantee our SaaS customers better than 5 nines. The problem isn't territorial pissing matches or having too many maintenance items or whatever pseudo emergency I have to solve next.

To be more specific than I usually am, I had to stomp all over a conversation earlier today. The problem was that two maintenance tasks overlapped and only one could be done during a particular window. One is to address a storage contention issue which is causing a performance degradation that support is fielding phone calls for. The other is a SQL migration because eh it's time to migrate that server. Holy shitballs DBA, guess which one of these is more important? This is the kind of conversation I spend most of my day having - explaining to people that their work might not be the most important work in the world all the time.

//rant

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly liked my job a lot up until recently, when the ramifications of the COO appointed earlier this year started to become obvious. They gave me a raise to stay when I was considering leaving earlier this year, which was nice.

Our entire senior finance staff quit as of this week and a major business partner is pulling out. Less because of financials and more because C level bad. They may have given me enough to stay but not enough to go down. :yotj: again

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

jaegerx posted:

You're in the wrong thread.

E: pretty sure only me and clam down are actually happy at our jobs.

I'm happy with my paycheck... does that count?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

not windows NT manuals.

... some of us collect old IT manuals :(

TheFace fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 20, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I complain about my job a lot but it's not that bad, I just know I could be making more and doing more interesting work elsewhere, and that staying is making me stagnate. But I have an office with a door and a window, I can more or less go home when I want to, maybe 50-60% of the work I do is completely of my own choosing, and I have no on-call/evenings/weekend work.

Also I just get a 5% raise out of the blue :yotj: which will have no effect whatsoever on how long I do or do not stay here but is nice nonetheless.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Checking out the bathroom isn't something I've ever done but it makes sense. If the job sucks you'll spend a lot of time in there trying to hide.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At my current job, they went open office and that was cool because more people fit.

But they didn't have a corresponding increase in bathroom infrastructure, so you sometimes have to wait or check a different floor.

That's really lovely.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

If this was the more poo poo kissing me off thread I'd tell you my feelings on people who come from different floors to poop in our bathrooms because of scarcity.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

5. Maybe keep an eye out for books. You probably want to see books on current technologies, not windows NT manuals.

I want to remind everyone that this was one of the books that Tony generously allowed the helpdesk guy and me to keep stored in our office.

This was in 2009.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I still need to pick up a copy of Microsoft Windows for Workgroups & MS-DOS. Loved that book.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, there's a point when a book gets old enough that it's fun.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Virigoth posted:

If this was the more poo poo kissing me off thread I'd tell you my feelings on people who come from different floors to poop in our bathrooms because of scarcity.

Do you have the good toilet paper cause I'd poo poo on your floor too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Look, if you're gonna poo poo on the floor, don't try and get fancy with toilet paper.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

If the job sucks you'll spend a lot of time in there trying to hide.

You misspelled crying and vomiting

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

jaegerx posted:

Do you have the good toilet paper cause I'd poo poo on your floor too.

I wish. We just have 3 stalls and an executive suite (handicap) when the other floors have 2 stalls for whole open office space areas of devs. We get lots of transient poopers who come destroy our facilities. Some of the crazier people in our office will poop shame them.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You can't say poo poo on my floor this many times without convincing me it is some kind of euphemism.

e:

poo poo on my floor, verb
1. to emphasize a decision to an insulting degree.

I asked my boss for a week off around the holidays. He denied my request before launching into a diatribe about how many other employees would be out at that time and how these requests really should come earlier in the year. "A simple no would have sufficed," I interrupted, "there's no need to poo poo on my floor."

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 21, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You can't say poo poo on my floor this many times without convincing me it is some kind of euphemism.

e:

poo poo on my floor, verb
1. to emphasize a decision to an insulting degree.

I asked my boss for a week off around the holidays. He denied my request before launching into a diatribe about how many other employees would be out at that time and how these requests really should come earlier in the year. "A simple no would have sufficed," I interrupted, "there's no need to poo poo on my floor."

Have you never shared facilities with developers? It is not a euphemism.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"how did the budget meeting go?"
"They're making GBS threads on our floor."

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I'd poo poo on all your floors. Did you know England has stall doors that reach to the ceiling? It's like a poopers paradise. You could hide out half the day in there.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My current company has 7 single person bathrooms on each floor. Blasting a turd in your own personal poop closet is the best.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

HatfulOfHollow posted:

My current company has 7 single person bathrooms on each floor. Blasting a turd in your own personal poop closet is the best.

I'd consider leaving my job for this poop paradise.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Hire me

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*scrolls on notepad*

P O O P R O O M I M P O R T A N T

This is quality stuff.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
“Are you interested in the job”
“Idk I didn’t see any poop closets”

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I'd give up 5k a year for a good poop situation

E: I lied. I work from home. I've got the best poop situation

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 21, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yet again, work from home comes out on top.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yet again, work from home comes out on top.

Work from home with a two story house. Being able to poop on another floor still has its advantages.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I love my job.

I love the people I work with.

I have some serious 'white girl' level problems with the current Director of IT. He's a little passive aggressive and makes some very strange spending choices, but compared to some technology leaders our biggest issue is he's too involved rather than not knowing poo poo.

The only problem I have is that senior staff salaries tend to just die off. There's no raises beyond a static 2% year regardless of your performance review once you crest 6 figures. I'm between 30 - 80% underpaid in the current market (depending on the level of responsibilities in the jobs in question) and I'm really hoping the new HR team is going to unfuck some of this. There's evidence they are, some other folks have had reasonable near market adjustments. I've been told mine is in line for the new fiscal year starting October 1st.

I honestly don't think I'd leave even if they don't do anything, I love where I work, I love the freedom and flexibility and the people are top loving notch, but man, and extra 50k/year... it's so tempting.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Open plan vs. cubicles. If it's an open plan, watch out, especially if you're expected to do phone work. Find out if people have permanent desks. If it's open plan, there should be team rooms that groups can have short meetings in.

Why would you have an open floor plan for calls?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

Because people are loving stupid and the watch Silicon Valley without realizing it's satire?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

I love my job.

I love the people I work with.

I have some serious 'white girl' level problems with the current Director of IT. He's a little passive aggressive and makes some very strange spending choices, but compared to some technology leaders our biggest issue is he's too involved rather than not knowing poo poo.

The only problem I have is that senior staff salaries tend to just die off. There's no raises beyond a static 2% year regardless of your performance review once you crest 6 figures. I'm between 30 - 80% underpaid in the current market (depending on the level of responsibilities in the jobs in question) and I'm really hoping the new HR team is going to unfuck some of this. There's evidence they are, some other folks have had reasonable near market adjustments. I've been told mine is in line for the new fiscal year starting October 1st.

I honestly don't think I'd leave even if they don't do anything, I love where I work, I love the freedom and flexibility and the people are top loving notch, but man, and extra 50k/year... it's so tempting.

Oh god what have I done

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

jon joe posted:

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for open floor plans, and I've cross-posted to the corporate thread.

I hate open office layouts as much as the next goon, but they're also incredibly common and I wouldn't turn down an otherwise great job over it. You're going to run across them more often than not. I'm on the fifth job of my career and literally all of them have been open floorplan. I'd be over the moon if I was given my own office, but in reality if I need to really focus on something I can usually work from home or squat on a conference room.

A lot of it comes down to office culture and planning. The time I was the sysadmin for an ISP and got seated right next to the bullpen of service-call dispatchers, who were literally on the phone all day? That sucked, I had to live in my headphones. At my current gig I'm surrounded by developers who are mostly heads down and want quiet as much as I do, so it doesn't bother me at all. It also helps that everyone, even the execs, works out in the open. It keeps people from being obnoxiously loud. And feels less blatantly two-faced than "yes, we lovingly designed this open office because it encourages collaboration! everyone should be working side by side! *all managers hole up in offices because gently caress being out with the plebes in that garbage layout*" which was the setup at the aforementioned ISP.

Tab8715 posted:

Because some people are really loving bad at laying out offices. Having numerous conference rooms available is key to open office being tolerable vs hell on earth.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 21, 2017

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

The cleaning ladies and I are the only women on our floor so I had the best and cleanest bathroom pretty much to myself. Until loving HR started traveling down two floors to poo poo in my bathroom because they have to share with call center agents on their floor. They (HR, not the agents) are pigs and I've blocked Facebook and Twitter out of spite.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So today we had a security training exercise thing, and it was fine, but the main thing that tripped me up was something I had never even really considered: we can validate that our backups "work" no problem, and we do fairly often. But we have no real way to validate that the data itself is good in the first place.

The exercise basically said we got hit with some ransomware, and once we were reasonably sure we had the infection solved we would restore the file shares. But we don't really have a way to verify that the data hasn't been encrypted, or probably worse, altered. (He gave the example of a hospital. They'd probably rather lose medical records entirely than have blood types get changed on records) The guy running the exercise threw out the idea that maybe we could look at how many files got changed in a particular time period. If the number of changes is way higher than normal, maybe something else is going on.

I feel kinda dumb for never even considering that. Until now it has always been a binary "did the backup work" type question. Maybe that's not a super big concern, but we didn't have a good answer when he asked how we could be sure we were restoring good data

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Y'all are loving with me right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have my own office, suck my rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

i love my job in QA at a large enterprise corporation. i wanna do it for the next 30 yrs.