Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Most recently it was established he was pre-med iirc

There was a moment where Bruce Wayne thought the best way to help people was to be a doctor and he changed his mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pre-med or criminology I think are the common ones that get used.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

There was a moment where Bruce Wayne thought the best way to help people was to be a doctor and he changed his mind?

Makes sense that he would think about following in his father's footsteps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tangentially, I just saw a clip of Gotham that affirmed what I've been saying for YEARS and that's that Alexander Siddig is the perfect casting choice for Ra's. Like, it's eerie how much he looks like he stepped off the page, it's like Oldman in the Nolan films.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

Pre-med or criminology I think are the common ones that get used.

I believe he did Law in University post Zero Hour reboot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also on the topic of animated Batman series that were never made, I always loved the No Man's Land which had Cassandra Caine in it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Makes sense that he would think about following in his father's footsteps.

So wait, how do you both run a huge privately owned corporation and be a practicing doctor?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

So wait, how do you both run a huge privately owned corporation and be a practicing doctor?

CEO's for some companies are largely figureheads and don't actually need to do much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

the same way you do that and also be a costumed vigilante who is part of several teams that amount to what are essentially superhuman military forces.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TFRazorsaw posted:

the same way you do that and also be a costumed vigilante who is part of several teams that amount to what are essentially superhuman military forces.

And you still have enough time to raise and get killed at least three children

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Gaz-L posted:

Tangentially, I just saw a clip of Gotham that affirmed what I've been saying for YEARS and that's that Alexander Siddig is the perfect casting choice for Ra's. Like, it's eerie how much he looks like he stepped off the page, it's like Oldman in the Nolan films.
Goddamnit don't make me want to watch Gotham. I watched half of the first year and I feel like I did my time and paid my dues. Alexander Siddig though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

Between everyone being a little gothy and Harley Quinn's Osh-Koshes, that is 90s as hell.

That kind of aesthetic is actually early 2000s.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Most recently it was established he was pre-med iirc

I think pre-law suits his personality better, but pre-med at least somewhat explains his ridiculous biochemistry chops.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He minored in Canon Trivia Bullshit.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Lobok posted:

Ah, my bad. I saw their logo at the beginning and just assumed.

Either way, animation hasn't disappointed so far. Good mix of 2D and 3D. One of the small things I noticed was how well the mouths are synched to the dialogue.

My wife and I are huge fans of Voltron: Legendary Defender. It got a 75 episode order so they're exploring things in a way that is pretty natural and it really is gorgeous thanks to Studio Mir. Nice blend of humour, action and actual stakes too.
The first V: LD comics miniseries was inessential, but perfectly solid and I enjoyed it, FYI.

The only thing I do want to say is that they don't show some sort of homosexual relationship (Shiro and Keith...) then it's gonna become a particularly egregious example of queerbaiting, but I trust them considering their track record on Korra/ATLA*, probably in Season 5 (counting next month's batch of episodes as Season 4) or 6 at the latest.

*I know Korra only ended with the implication, but the comics since, and the freedom of being on Netflix, makes me optimistic.

Just out of interest, and hopefully not too much of a digression, but are there any RWBY fans on here? As an X-Men fan, it really appealed to me with the initial school for gifted people setting (though it's probably more Hogwarts-esque really) and the setting, while busy with magic, tech and semblances (inherent powers) is really engaging with some strong characters and interesting plot developments.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

That kind of aesthetic is actually early 2000s.

I think pre-law suits his personality better, but pre-med at least somewhat explains his ridiculous biochemistry chops.

Untold Legend of the Batman has him training to be a cop.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Metalshark posted:

My wife and I are huge fans of Voltron: Legendary Defender. It got a 75 episode order so they're exploring things in a way that is pretty natural and it really is gorgeous thanks to Studio Mir. Nice blend of humour, action and actual stakes too.

I was expecting something like Power Rangers, where it would be a Monster of the Episode with the fight patterns happening the same way every time. But after the long first episode (love how Netflix shows don't have to conform to broadcast network time slots) I could already sense the show was going to be smarter and more varied than I expected. The second and third episodes bore that out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like vld.
I especially like how there's some really interesting sci Fi ideas in the show with non humanoid aliens and space anomalies, and the characters make some detailed plans and handle things in a professional manner a lot of the time.
It's imperfect but I feel like it's a really good show on it's own terms, and has reinvented the source material in a well thought out manner, neither simply imitating the original show nor just doing a bunch of random ideas that don't hold together.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Metalshark posted:

Just out of interest, and hopefully not too much of a digression, but are there any RWBY fans on here? As an X-Men fan, it really appealed to me with the initial school for gifted people setting (though it's probably more Hogwarts-esque really) and the setting, while busy with magic, tech and semblances (inherent powers) is really engaging with some strong characters and interesting plot developments.

I was for a time. Then the later volumes bored me to death. Then the obnoxious fandom (don't go to Spacebattles/Sufficient Velocity EVER) drove me away for good.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 20, 2017

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Speaking of Voltron, the trailer for Season 4 (or Season 3 Part 2 if you prefer) was released today: http://www.cbr.com/voltron-legendary-defender-season-4-trailer/ No firm date yet on the second comic miniseries, but it's presumably starting next month or shortly thereafter.

VolticSurge posted:

I was for a time. Then the later volumes bored me to death. Then the obnoxious fandom (don't go to Spacebattles/Sufficient Velocity EVER) drove me away for good.

Interesting! I found Season 4 a bit slow, as it was setting up a lot, but 1-3 rollicked along. It's possible that the loss of Monty Oum hurt them, or they just are trying to do too much. It is a very stuffed world with so much going on and so many characters. I also just watched them on Youtube so I'd never seen any issues with the fandom. I don't even recall seeing anything too objectionable in occasional glances at the comments but I've now caught up so perhaps it's different as they're airing? Although, thinking about it, I did see some defensiveness regarding 'Western' anime, for lack of a better term, so I can fully believe that there is the usual dark side to the fandom and pointless slap fights of course.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Metalshark posted:

Interesting! I found Season 4 a bit slow, as it was setting up a lot, but 1-3 rollicked along. It's possible that the loss of Monty Oum hurt them, or they just are trying to do too much. It is a very stuffed world with so much going on and so many characters. I also just watched them on Youtube so I'd never seen any issues with the fandom. I don't even recall seeing anything too objectionable in occasional glances at the comments but I've now caught up so perhaps it's different as they're airing? Although, thinking about it, I did see some defensiveness regarding 'Western' anime, for lack of a better term, so I can fully believe that there is the usual dark side to the fandom and pointless slap fights of course.

Volume 4... made some questionable decisions. Like Qrow's Semblance being bad luck after me and a friend of mine brainstormed a bunch of ideas...that probably would've still been better than what he got.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

NorgLyle posted:

Goddamnit don't make me want to watch Gotham. I watched half of the first year and I feel like I did my time and paid my dues. Alexander Siddig though.

Seriously. I've avoided it so far but siddig as Ras is hard to ignore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Seriously. I've avoided it so far but siddig as Ras is hard to ignore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjkZw17sjxg

Here, this is the bit I watched.
I haven't watched ANY of Gotham since like the third episode, but I do have to credit them with apparently making a show that's unafraid to have Ra's al Ghul pretty much appear unchanged from the comics. Just straight up "Yo, I'm an immortal warlord king from the middle-ages and people think I'm a demon in human form. 'sup?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like Gotham fell right into the same trap as Smallville where they greenlight the show and then realize "Wait everything interesting about this guy happens way after this period... gently caress it we'll do it all anyway and just keep him out of the suit" which is not the greatest way to run a show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, it looks like they're going the '"well, he has to learn all this ninja and detective poo poo some time, let's have it be on-screen" road.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, it looks like they're going the '"well, he has to learn all this ninja and detective poo poo some time, let's have it be on-screen" road.

I'm sure he'll put on the suit any day now. Any day!!!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Looks like Gotham fell right into the same trap as Smallville where they greenlight the show and then realize "Wait everything interesting about this guy happens way after this period... gently caress it we'll do it all anyway and just keep him out of the suit" which is not the greatest way to run a show.

It's the black black blur!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean you totally could tell an interesting story about either Bruce training or Bruce as a child coming to grips with the trauma of losing his parents, but not if you also want to have every recognizable villain in the rogues' gallery in the story as well, and definitely not over several seasons of broadcast TV. It's like two 5-episode miniseries at best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

This season has him wearing a suit and fighting crime.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

As a goddamned teenager?!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would have prefered with Gotham had they made it take place post Batman. But just made the focus on Gordon and the GCPD. Batman could still make appearances but could just not make him the view point character.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would have prefered with Gotham had they made it take place post Batman. But just made the focus on Gordon and the GCPD.

Honestly that would also be bad because it would quickly devolve into "hey guys check out all of these neato COMIC BOOK REFERENCES," while never showing anything remotely as cool and having no excuse for it, in universe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gotham is just an Elseworlds where Bruce Wayne was too young to be Batman. Dont think about it so much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

As a goddamned teenager?!

Bruce has been actively training for a while, including last season getting martial arts training from the League of Assassins when they tried to turn him into the Heir of the Demon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They should have just done an adaptation of the Gotham Central comic, dammit. :argh: That's what I was hoping the show would be at first.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But it's not a bat suit, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

But it's not a bat suit, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDBWK_LuUw

Not yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unless it's the Batman suit and he's called Batman then that's exactly Smallville.

EDIT: Oh, he's wearing a black trench coat. Yeah, that's definitely just like Smallville.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 21, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Unless it's the Batman suit and he's called Batman then that's exactly Smallville.

EDIT: Oh, he's wearing a black trench coat. Yeah, that's definitely just like Smallville.

Trenchcoat AND a leather jacket in the same trailer! (Can't forget Clark's red leather superman jacket that replaced his normal red jacket.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

Trenchcoat AND a leather jacket in the same trailer! (Can't forget Clark's red leather superman jacket that replaced his normal red jacket.)

Yeah so maybe it's just Smallville on fast forward, which I guess is a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It's Smallarrow. Or Arrowville, I guess.