Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Irving posted:

Which part of Wisconsin are you from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZHkZzdjBk

I once a few years ago was at the bar in my lovely college town that tries to be classy and ordered an old fashioned, and was served a brandy old fashioned as described in that video. The bartender had no idea that there was any other drink called an old fashioned, and clearly thought I was an rear end in a top hat for being confused and a little upset. "Uh, yeah. An old fashioned has brandy in it. It's a brandy old fashioned."

No, I don't live in Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
gently caress it, use slivovitz.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The mint julep one is even better.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA
In case anyone has forgotten the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Great article about Atelier Crenn in San Francisco and their wage practices.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 18, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Canuck-Errant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA
In case anyone has forgotten the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep.

well it was posted 2 pages back

so yes I had

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Good news in the world of my work! We just cut the rest of the serving staff, and half the kitchen because it's pretty dead. Then the phone rings and one of the dishwashers takes a reservation for 9:45pm (we close at 11 pm) for 20 people.

"They said they'd be out by 11:00!"

Here we go!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

Good news in the world of my work! We just cut the rest of the serving staff, and half the kitchen because it's pretty dead. Then the phone rings and one of the dishwashers takes a reservation for 9:45pm (we close at 11 pm) for 20 people.

Here we go!

Translation: :suicide:

We really need a chef version of that, solely for this thread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Here we go!

Such a pity they slipped 36 times in the dishpit unto the inexplicably upright (largest) chef's knife on hand. Goodbye kidneys!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

Here we go!

Please report back on how much of a poo poo show this ends up being.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Please report back on how much of a poo poo show this ends up being.

poo poo show report:

First 3 of 20 people show up at 9:45. I remind them we close at 11:00 pm.

9:55pm: still just 3 people. I ask what the occasion is and I am told one of the group is going to Australia. I ask if they are planning on putting everything on one bill, or if they are planning on separate bills. Answer "I dunno"

10:05pm 5 out of 20 people are here. Nobody is ready to order.

10:15pm: 11 people are here, they would like to wait for the whole group to order. I am told probably separate bills. I ask people to stay in the seats they are in so I can keep track of bills.

10:20 all 20 people are here. Beverages are ordered. I mention that we close at 11:00

10:25: everybody plays a quick game of musical chairs despite me specifically asking that they not.

10:30 food is ordered. 23 items for 20 people split into 17 bills. The kitchen, fuelled by rage makes this food so fast I am literally astonished.

11:15: I mention that we close at 11:00

11:45: people start paying, and the bills are an even split of people tipping a dollar and saying "you didn't seem like you were happy to serve us" and tipping 65% and saying "we are so sorry if we had known you closed at 11 we wouldn't have let our friend make the reso"

Midnight: I finish payments, bussing, and get cashed out.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

what was your dishwasher doing answering the phone

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

poo poo show report:

First 3 of 20 people show up at 9:45. I remind them we close at 11:00 pm.

9:55pm: still just 3 people. I ask what the occasion is and I am told one of the group is going to Australia. I ask if they are planning on putting everything on one bill, or if they are planning on separate bills. Answer "I dunno"

10:05pm 5 out of 20 people are here. Nobody is ready to order.

10:15pm: 11 people are here, they would like to wait for the whole group to order. I am told probably separate bills. I ask people to stay in the seats they are in so I can keep track of bills.

10:20 all 20 people are here. Beverages are ordered. I mention that we close at 11:00

10:25: everybody plays a quick game of musical chairs despite me specifically asking that they not.

10:30 food is ordered. 23 items for 20 people split into 17 bills. The kitchen, fuelled by rage makes this food so fast I am literally astonished.

11:15: I mention that we close at 11:00

11:45: people start paying, and the bills are an even split of people tipping a dollar and saying "you didn't seem like you were happy to serve us" and tipping 65% and saying "we are so sorry if we had known you closed at 11 we wouldn't have let our friend make the reso"

Midnight: I finish payments, bussing, and get cashed out.

Disappointingly, we discover the dishwasher remains tragically unshanked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is where you tell them "At 11pm, I will start cleaning around you. With a vacuum."

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Trebuchet King posted:

The same thing line cooks do. It was ringing so they answered and they don't have customer service skills so we're open til midnight now.

e: Denver was cool, got really high a mile high, lol.

Shoulder's almost healed, and I'm pumped to open a thousand room hotel with 5 restaurants and banquet space next month.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm just kind of perplexed by the idea of phones being anywhere close enough to the kitchen crew to be a distraction

unless like the dishwasher is like flirting with the hostess or something, i guess?

the problem we've been having is that we don't really do reservations outside of our friday and saturday night jazz in the upstairs dining room--our main dining room and patio are first come/first serve, but mystery servers keep taking reservations over the phone for like 7 PM downstairs and I don't see enough handwriting to be able to tell who it is yet.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Samizdata posted:

Disappointingly, we discover the dishwasher remains tragically unshanked.

The kids still in highschool and he helped me bus after the big top left since we were closed. I was angry briefly but then got over it

Trebuchet King posted:

i'm just kind of perplexed by the idea of phones being anywhere close enough to the kitchen crew to be a distraction

unless like the dishwasher is like flirting with the hostess or something, i guess?

the problem we've been having is that we don't really do reservations outside of our friday and saturday night jazz in the upstairs dining room--our main dining room and patio are first come/first serve, but mystery servers keep taking reservations over the phone for like 7 PM downstairs and I don't see enough handwriting to be able to tell who it is yet.

There is one phone by the back door where the kitchen can reach it if the front is busy. The remaining 5 phones are all front of house. Also our reso policy is the opposite of yours, the owner encourages us to book up to 1/3 of the restaurant sun-thu with a hard no reservations policy Friday-Saturday.

As with your place, nobody actually follows these policies.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mezzanon posted:

nobody actually follows these policies.

industry in a nutshell

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

industry in a nutshell

The Restaurant Industry Thread: "Nobody actually follows these policies. Nobody cares when we close"

Edit: That's why I'm glad I have an actual career/day job. It gives me time to post about my industry life on SA.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Trebuchet King posted:

Perhaps he is the owner?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
After a few short weeks at the new job I've gone from people whispering in corners as I walked past for whatever reason, to being the go-to guy and clutch executor on the line. In a few weeks I've gone from "oh... you're CdCs friend huh?" to "BIG PAPI WILLIE" in audible capitals. This, uhhh... Well it woulda been hard to see five years ago, let's just say that.

It turns out rather than being a seething ball of anger at The Daily Cavalcade Of poo poo What Ain't Been Done, I handle stress really well even--perhaps especially!--when the exec is breathing down my neck and am unusually nice and forgiving for culinary standards.

My superpowers are doing at least two things at once and asking what else needs to be done and not whinging about it because I'm paid hourly, and also asking questions when I don't know how to do something.

I still want some IT certs so I can gracefully gently caress on out if they get cute about making me a lifer line dog come the new year instead of a bump to Chef and it's 50k price tag, but for once my conflicting emotions are a conflict of multiple positive emotions. By the standards of my dumbass lifetime, that's a pretty drat good way to be.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Had to tell off a co-worker today. They said that I was lying when I told them I couldn't cover a shift because I was going to be at a funeral.

Luckily the owner overheard the exchange and also tore a strip off said co-worker

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 22, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

After a few short weeks at the new job I've gone from people whispering in corners as I walked past for whatever reason, to being the go-to guy and clutch executor on the line. In a few weeks I've gone from "oh... you're CdCs friend huh?" to "BIG PAPI WILLIE" in audible capitals. This, uhhh... Well it woulda been hard to see five years ago, let's just say that.

It turns out rather than being a seething ball of anger at The Daily Cavalcade Of poo poo What Ain't Been Done, I handle stress really well even--perhaps especially!--when the exec is breathing down my neck and am unusually nice and forgiving for culinary standards.

My superpowers are doing at least two things at once and asking what else needs to be done and not whinging about it because I'm paid hourly, and also asking questions when I don't know how to do something.

I still want some IT certs so I can gracefully gently caress on out if they get cute about making me a lifer line dog come the new year instead of a bump to Chef and it's 50k price tag, but for once my conflicting emotions are a conflict of multiple positive emotions. By the standards of my dumbass lifetime, that's a pretty drat good way to be.

Congrats and all best wishes towards not needing the IR certs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Had to tell off a co-worker today. They said that I was lying when I told them I couldn't cover a shift because I was going to be at a funeral.

Luckily the owner overheard the exchange and also tore a strip off said co-worker

You showed them your weakness when you left the dishwasher alive. :shrug:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Samizdata posted:

You showed them your weakness when you left the dishwasher alive. :shrug:

This is true. Guess I have to murder the next server I train.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

This is true. Guess I have to murder the next server I train.

Well, more sacrifice to the great Kitchen Old Ones, but tomayto tomahto.

(As long as it is sundried, amirite?)

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 22, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Another scheduled double next week :suicide:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Another scheduled double next week :suicide:

Starting Tuesday morning, and ending at my scheduled time tonight I will have worked 60 hours.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and the drain pipe connected to our dishwasher clogged tonight.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Remember how we were talking about non-fraternization? Tonight was the worst shift I've ever worked in my life and it wasn't even that bad work-wise. But the married manager and his young girlfriend are falling out and the energy I had to deal with was the worst.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had to deal with a coworker that had a breakup.

I have a feeling they're not long for that job anyway, for related and unrelated issues (they sort of, uh... have been sliding off the slippery slope lately).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I did a round in a fast food place as my first job when I was 16, worked there for a year and definitely was not cut out for it. I definitely lacked the work ethic because I was still in high school, but reading through this thread makes me appreciate the work you all do. Keep fighting the good fight and making delicious food

If I ever get out to one of your places beer is on me

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

God I love it when we have events with prime rib so I can make myself a prime rib dip with the leftovers.

How do you guys feel about "prime rib" being synonymous with any standing rib roast regardless of grade? I always feel a twitch of guilt over it even though I know nobody really cares.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Republicans posted:

God I love it when we have events with prime rib so I can make myself a prime rib dip with the leftovers.

How do you guys feel about "prime rib" being synonymous with any standing rib roast regardless of grade? I always feel a twitch of guilt over it even though I know nobody really cares.

I feel the same way, but select rib, or choice rib, doesn't have the same ring to it. I preferred to call it rib roast unless it is actually prime grade.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"prime rib" is one of those things that noone really orders who understands what prime rib is, because they know they're getting shafted. I second 'rib roast', it's a more accurate description and the people who would order it and pay good money for it are probably still going to order it imo.

edit : literally just had been thinking about this, since I went to a 'fancy' restaurant tonight in the boonies with my inlaws grandparents which was 'known for its steak'. Half the table got prime rib. It was a rib roast, attractively priced at $36/plate with two sides. My perfectly civilized compassionate IRL self smiled and had a great time with tha fam, but my mindphlux was lollllinn at the industry racket.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 24, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Probably the most egregious menu lie I've seen was from someone I worked for, who boasted "wood fired pizza" when it was made in a plain ol' gas pizza oven. Either people didn't notice or they didn't care enough to comment on it because it was still good pizza.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mindphlux posted:

"prime rib" is one of those things that noone really orders who understands what prime rib is, because they know they're getting shafted. I second 'rib roast', it's a more accurate description and the people who would order it and pay good money for it are probably still going to order it imo.

edit : literally just had been thinking about this, since I went to a 'fancy' restaurant tonight in the boonies with my inlaws grandparents which was 'known for its steak'. Half the table got prime rib. It was a rib roast, attractively priced at $36/plate with two sides. My perfectly civilized compassionate IRL self smiled and had a great time with tha fam, but my mindphlux was lollllinn at the industry racket.

i recently had exact same experience, in my case what was running through my mind was the steak highly marked up as "aged" with no indication of how it was aged or for how long

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mindphlux posted:

Is "prime" literally just the USDA designation? I've never thought about it, now I'm wondering.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is "prime" literally just the USDA designation? I've never thought about it, now I'm wondering.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah it's the highest grade followed by choice, select and commercial.