Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jun has to win, because otherwise how is he going to inspire the former STRONGEST MAN OF THE HIMALAYAS to become a pro wrestler?

I believe in pro wrestling, and I believe that Jun will inspire Haru to get back on his feet by taking the beating his mentor couldn't and winning. This last chapters flashback solidified my impression that Jun Is going to win. Dude has a lot on his back whereas Sumo has nothing but a confused stance on what Sumo is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-010-Ch-080?id=384557

This chapter is really, really, really loving great. The best chapter in the series so far. Just the absolute loving best!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo this chapter was loving great. And that part with Haruo goddamn ;_;

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yo this series rules. The two page spread with the powerbomb is magnificent

Jun is awesome can't wait to see him hanging out in the slice of life segments

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat. I guess that interview about Kiozan did give away this fight's ending.

Good fight, kinda lame with the whole "no I wanted him to lose all along."

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

jun is good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hypocrisy posted:

drat. I guess that interview about Kiozan did give away this fight's ending.

Good fight, kinda lame with the whole "no I wanted him to lose all along."

I don't think he wanted Kiozan to lose, more that he expected Kiozan to lose at some point during the tournament.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also enjoy the fact that Gozo is still referred to as THE Murobuchi Gozo.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

And up next, it's

FISHING

INDUSTRY

GRANDPA

time!

edit: I hope he enjoys kicking rear end as much as he enjoys beer

Bushmeister fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 21, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
alright that was great

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
SEKIBAYASHI

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Glad Jun won. Gizenga though is going to be the worst possible matchup for his style of defense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Did I miss anything, or is this a thing that comes up later?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It'll pop up later.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure the misprint is a reference to his total earnings being off by a place, which caused kazuo to freak out when he learned wakatsuki has more value than the national budget of japan

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

With that, we're halfway through the first round! :toot:

Let's take a quick look at what we've got lined up in the second half:

1. Saw Paing vs. Fishing Grandpa: Saw Paing comes from somewhere in southeast asia, is super fired up basically all the time and, seems to know Gaolang Wongsawat. We don't really know anything about how he actually fights though. His opponent, Karo, likes beer and fishing, is huge, and is one of the qualifiers from the SS Annihilation, in which he showed himself to be real tough, and open palm slapped a dude so hard he went flying and immediately fell unconscious. I kind of feel like this is a question of "Can Saw Paing actually get in there", but who knows what his gimmick will be.

2. Nezu Masami vs. Mikazuchi Rei: THE TIME FOR DREAMS IS OVER. That is pretty much the extent of what we know about Nezu Masami, who works for Not-Disney Land and dresses up as Not-Mickey Mouse. He's going up against Rei, who's the head of one of the assassin families, basically threw away his honor so he could get it on with the CEO of the Golden Pleasure group, and completely dismantled Togo "Sharkteeth" Tomari's previous fighter in a bonus chapter. Not enough info to make a guess on what will happen in this fight.

3. Rihito vs Kuroki Gensai: FINGER BATTLE! In case you have recently been powerbombed by Jun and lost all your memory as a result, Rihito's gimmick is his fingers are strong enough to rip apart coins, or rend flesh with a casual swipe. Gensai we haven't seen very much of, but in the sequence showing off all the fighters on the ship, he was using his fingers to jab holes through the inch-thick steel side of the ship. You can do it Rihito, I believe in you! 100k on Gensai... no, make it 200k.

4. Nikaido Ren vs. Kiryu Setsuna: Ren is one of the 'assassins' sent out by Toyo Electric to replace other companies' fighters. He defeated the old-rear end man fighting for Byakuya news, and seems to be a Chinese ninja or something; he previously threw a surreptitious dart at Kazuo, which Kazuo expertly dodged like the terrifying martial arts master that he is. His opponent, Setsuna, is Ohma's rival, is ridiculously gay for Ohma, and popped a terrifyingly large boner at the idea of fighting Ohma. Oh, and he's a really good fighter, too, he took down Muscle Professor easily, and killed his own master (who had killed Ohma's master and was basically Akuma). Sorry Ren, but I'm pretty sure you can't defeat the power of ~*~true love~*~

5. Chiba Takayuki vs. Hatsumi Sen: Chances are, you don't remember who Takayuki is, and I don't blame you, because he's barely shown up--he was the guy that took Suekichi's place in the business of beating people at Shogi for money back on the SS Kengan--his words when doing so were "Sure, I've become a Shogi player before", so I assume his deal is that he's just Taskmaster. Sen is a dangerously chill dude, and is the guy that Chairman Nogi selected as his personal representative over Ohma--he's described as one of the people with a very real shot at beating the Fang of Metsudo, so I'm going to assume he's extremely strong until proven otherwise.

6. Hanafusa Hajime vs. Bando Yohei: CREEPY DOCTOR FIGHT. Hajime, though incredibly creepy and offputting, has proven to be a very good doctor, saving Mokichi Robinson's life. As for how he fights, well, your guess is as good as mine, we haven't had a hint as far as I can remember. Bando isn't technically a doctor, because he spent his med school days killing Yakuza barehanded for fun before turning himself in--in the prison fight, he took down weird cult dude with a single blow that we didn't get to see.

7. Gaolang Wongsawat vs. Kaneda Suekichi: Gaolang, the THAI GOD OF WAR, is a world champion boxer (as revealed via Danberu) and always ranks high in character popularity polls for Kengan Asura because it has a significant Thai fanbase. I don't think we really know much about him beyond that? Suekichi wasn't the original pick for his company; he just tagged along with the CEO and then beat the previous fighter. His thing seems to be that with enough info, he can analyze his opponent's movements and then bring them down basically perfectly, assuming he can last that long. It's going to be a test if Gaolang can just punch his head off before his blows stop connecting.

8. Dead Meat vs. THE FANG OF METSUDO: Look, we all know how this is going to go. Okubo's a dead man walking--he hangs out with Rihito, has as much luck with the ladies as Rihito does, and otherwise has basically no defining features. His CEO chose this match for him specifically so I can only assume that they hate his guts. Kanoh Agito is the FANG OF METSUDO, is the strongest guy in the tournament, and is going to turn Okubo into paste. We haven't seen much of him or his personality, or any of how he fights, so this is up in the air.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What an amazing ending for an amazing fight.

I can't wait to see Jun educating Haruo in the art of pro wrestling!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
saw paing seems cool but he needs to lose immediately so he can chill in the commentary booth with tyson

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikazuchi Rei snuck up on Ohma, Hatsumi Sen and I wanna say someone else in an earlier appearance so we know he's either fast, or just really hard to track.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2, 4, 5 and 8 seem really obvious but that leaves 4 matches up for grabs. you can do it, rihito! sure, even if he wins he will instantly lose in the next round but that's true of his opponent, too.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Everything about the latest chapter was good. This series just keeps getting better and better, somehow.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think I might be ready to make my official call on how the left bracket turns out.

Cosmo vs Akoya- Cosmo wins, in an upset against a more experienced fighter (this is the one I'm the least sure sbout, both seem to have about the same level of narrative importance, and either one is really interchangeable in the next match since they both lose to Ohma)

Raian vs Ohma- Ohma wins, shocking nobody (almost certain, main character vs pretty boring dude who seems set up to present Ohma as a major contender, expect a good smug face from Ohma when he wins)

Wakatsuki vs Reinhold - Wakatsuki wins in a badass hoss match, kinda one sided(this guy's going the distance almost certainly)

Gizenga vs Jun- Gizenga wins, but has a surprisingly tough time of it as Jun shrugs off multiple direct blows via finger stab to the brain (Gizenga seems like the perfect counter to Jun's style, and the timing seems right for Jun to take an L, I think Jun might die here)

Cosmo vs Ohma- Ohma wins again (not 100% sure if it's gonna be cosmo in this slot, but it feels right)

Wakatsuki vs Gizenga- Wakatsuki continues to the finals in a brutal match (Wakatsuki is easily my favorite non MC pick for finalist contender)

Ohma vs Wakatsuki- going with the upset here, Wakatsuki wins (I feel like Ohma doesn't become top dog of the Kengan association in this arc)

This is of course not taking into account Medicine Man's shenanigans with Hassad, though I have a gut feeling that a lot of the fuckery will take place in the right bracket since twoface already ran some interferance on this bracket and THE FANG is on the right.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What are your thoughts on the right brackets? They're the more unpredictable ones, mostly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That was a terrific fight

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Everything about this fight was absolutely amazing, best fight in the entire manga so far.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pretty much all the fighters in the 2nd bracket have some gimmick that hasn't been revealed yet so the matches are mostly unpredictable.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Ytlaya posted:

What are your thoughts on the right brackets? They're the more unpredictable ones, mostly.

Honestly I just don't know enough about most of them to make any good predictions for the whole bracket, but I'll try. Sorry ahead of time for the really long post.

Round 1

Saw Pang vs Fisherman Daddy- Saw Pang wins in an upset to the readers (I feel like Yoshinari is one of those one note gimmick fighters, which don't seem to fare very well, and Saw Pang feels like he's a lot more impportant to the narrative)

Masami vs Rei- Rei wins, shocking nobody, I predict the fight will be extremely entertaining and fun though (Rei's going to the quarters at least I feel)

Rihito vs Gensai- Gensai sadly wins (Rihito is bringing finger knives to a finger gun fight)

Rin vs Setsuna- Setsuna wins soundly, eliminating the last fighter to publicly support the burned face guy (He loses all 3 of his public fighters, to make the reveal of his secret fighter more interesting)

Takayuki vs Sen- Hatsumi Sen takes it in a very smug manner (I feel like Sen v Fang is a money match that's gonna happen)

DOCTOR DEATHMATCH- Hajime takes it, probably killing Yohei (I could see this going either way, but either way, it gets bad and bloody leaving one fighter dead or permanantly hosed since, as another posted out, it's a grudge match between the university and Yohei, who besmirched their reputation by killing a bunch of Yakuza as a hobby)

Wongsawat vs Suekichi- Suekichi wins (I feel like Suekichi is being built up as a threat that goes to round 2 to face Fang)

Jobber vs Agitoh- Agitoh wins (no poo poo, he isn't getting dropped in the first round to a nobody, if there's medicine man fuckery, it'll happen later in the story so he's still a threat on the bracket for most of it)

Round 2

Saw Pang vs Rei- Rei wins (he's one of the big characters, and I feel like he goes to quarters at least

Gensai vs Setsuna- Setsuna wins (Setsuna v Rei seems like a money match, so I'm saying it happens)

Sen vs Hajime- Setsuna takes it (sets up for Agitoh v Sen which is gonna be a major match in the tournament probably)

Suekichi vs Agitoh- Agitoh wins again (Suekichi feels like he's built up strong, but not too strong, probably set to lose here)

Quarterfinals

Rei vs Setsuna- Rei wins (I feel like Setsuna gets eliminated relatively early so neither he nor Ohma get set up as top dog too early

Sen vs Agitoh- Agitoh wins, but is seriously challenged by Sen (I feel like Sen is the grizzled veteran fighter set up to lose late in the bracket to cement a major threat's credibility)

Semifinals

Agitoh vs Rei- Agitoh wins, going up against Wakatsuki in the finals (I think Agitoh goes the distance)

FINALS

Wakatsuki vs Agitoh- Wakatsuki wins, becoming the new fang of the Kengan Association (He feels right for this kind of role, so I'm guessing he takes it)

The whole left bracket is really unstable though, filled with relatively unknown fighters and a lot of room for the Medicine Man and the Toyo Electric ace in the hole fighter to cause a lot of chaos, so I'm probably way off on this one. I do feel pretty confident that a lot of the one note gimmick-heavy fighters are gonna lose out to the more rounded characters early (micky mouse, fisherman, Rihito :() and there's a few money matches that I feel are probably set up to happen, plus I feel like Setsuna and Ohma get eliminated to save some material for the next arc, which is what I based my bracket on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I agree with most of those picks except that I really like Gensai's grizzled mountain man looking design and have him as my dark horse pick. I think he beats Setsuna and maybe even Rei.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
bando yohei and fishing grandpa are definitely going to win

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That was a good fuckin' chapter, I tell ya what.

Have we seen the panel from the OP with Jerry Tyson yelling JESUS CHRIST yet? There's been some crazy poo poo already so I'm keen to find out what gets that kind of reaction out of him.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

bando yohei and fishing grandpa are definitely going to win

Yohei maybe but I feel pang vs rei is meant to happen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Gensai definitely seems like he has a lot more going on than finger bullets, so you may well be right on the dark horse pick.
Fishing Gramps is my candidate for early elimination primarily because he's built up strong, but seems like a gimmick fighter rather than a rounded character.
I feel like no matter what happens in the Doctor match, both are gonna get insanely hosed up, like more than the Gizenga Masaki fight. These are medical professionals here.

My dark horse candidate is still Adam Dudley since I'm still not convinced we aren't in a second, inception style layer of hallucinations. We'll cut to Cosmo waking up in the infirmary, having hallucinated the entirety of the opening set of matches after being knocked soundly unconscious by adam.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
My prediction for Dudley is that his friendship with Cosmo continues to get more adorable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really hope the chapters start getting pumped out more often. At the rate we're going it'll take 2 years to catch up the raws(which are only in the quarterfinals). I guess this manga is pretty wordy so it makes some sense why they take so long to come out.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
When my predictions turn out to be 100% right, please inform my next of kin and award them a free avatar or platinum upgrade since yeah, we'll probably die of old age before we see the end of this tournament. At least we have a really good team translating it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

JUN 3:16

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: Gensai

Reminder that Rihito is up against Gensai cause nobody wanted to fight him.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

Re: Gensai

Reminder that Rihito is up against Gensai cause nobody wanted to fight him.

He gets one jab to the chest with those finger guns and someone's gonna be pretty hosed up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok yeah, I think Gensai might go a bit farther than I originally thought. Looking back on him I think he might be a major contender, especially after realizing that nobody wants to fight him, and I think he might actually beat setsuna and potentially even Rei. Setsuna can take a loss because he's still going to be relevant to Ohma in a later arc even if he loses, especially if my Ohma getting eliminated before finals theory holds out.

Knowing who picked what and the order is actually pretty handy and reveals a few potential things that you'd normally miss like teito university specifically targetting Bando. All I ever remembered is that Kazzy lucked into first and that internal clock life insurance lady got second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Y'all are crazy if you think Ohma isn't gonna win the tournament.

If only because it's the only way Kazuo ends up as leader of the Kengan Association. Which simply has to happen, it's the law of comedy.