Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Former DILF posted:

how does that credit card work

I have it, PBUC. It works like a credit card and doubles as another membership card so you could have three cards if you're really fancy (and maybe more if you can have multiple credit cards but idk there). Cash back on gas, grub, Costco stuff, from what I've read it's one of the better cards out there if you aren't into banking frequent flyer miles. Membership at Costco pays for the card itself and like any card as long as you pay it off each month everything's groovy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

4% on gas at any gas station (even outside us) 3% restaurants and travel (plane tickets) 2% at the 'co. If you have executive membership that means a total of 4% back on all 'co purchases

Solid rewards on a card.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

C. Everett Koop posted:

I have it, PBUC. It works like a credit card and doubles as another membership card so you could have three cards if you're really fancy (and maybe more if you can have multiple credit cards but idk there). Cash back on gas, grub, Costco stuff, from what I've read it's one of the better cards out there if you aren't into banking frequent flyer miles. Membership at Costco pays for the card itself and like any card as long as you pay it off each month everything's groovy.

I think someone in here did the math and they said it's the best credit card you can get.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've seen this in person. Plates full of onions with ketchup and mustard poured on top. They are constantly refilling the onion dispenser.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

What i want to know is can you avoid the upfront cost of the membership by getting the credit card

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

No. But the $120 fee for executive is "free" if you spend $6000 a year at Costco -- executive comes with a 2% back rebate.

$500/mo average is reasonable to hit with basic groceries and the occasional appliance. If you have a family it's incredibly easy.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I just eat enough onions to offset the cost of membership.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriously though Korea is going to ruin it for everyone wtf Korea.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

binge crotching posted:

I've seen this in person. Plates full of onions with ketchup and mustard poured on top. They are constantly refilling the onion dispenser.

Apparently stuff like this just eventually forces the costcos to no longer provide the onion grater as is and instead they just hand out individual packets like they do with the kraut.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

COMRADES posted:

Looks like they're alright with these onion side dishes.
https://sweetpicklesandcorn.wordpress.com/tag/costco/

quote:

A recent e-mail exchange with Edward Yoon Kim, the General Merchandise Manager for Costco Korea confirmed my hunch. Noting that the company believes that “real success comes from real member satisfaction,” Mr. Kim explained that as long as Costco can make a “reasonable profit” while making customers happy they would continue offering free onions, and that if it was no longer profitable to do so they would consider stopping it. Since the onion salad buffet has been going strong for several years, it seems safe to call it something other than abuse.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If the world keeps going mad, the Korean onion situation will work itself out.

A kimchee or gochujang dispenser would be a nice foreign exchange to a dog in the US!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm moving to a place that has a Costco

I am so excited

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

COMRADES posted:

In Korea there are a bunch of huge idiots on a messageboard somewhere posting
"thinkin bout' them onions"
and other idiots going PBUC but in Korean.

Costco knows, it's fine. If they enter industries just to keep dogs down to 1.50 then we're OK with Korean onions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Costco is the world's most elaborate hot dog stand.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

KakerMix posted:

In Korea there are a bunch of huge idiots on a messageboard somewhere posting
"thinkin bout' them onions"
and other idiots going PBUC but in Korean.

really makes you think...

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Looks like they're alright with these onion side dishes.
https://sweetpicklesandcorn.wordpress.com/tag/costco/

quote:

Mr. Kim explained that as long as Costco can make a “reasonable profit” while making customers happy they would continue offering free onions

MADNESS INVADE KOREA IMMEDIATELY

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm moving to a place that has a Costco

I am so excited

Same! Can't wait to get in on this dawg action.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I just emailed the Canadian VP of Fresh Foods/Food Court, demanding to know why we do not have onion dispensers in our great nation :canada:

I will not rest until we have justice

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Last time I was at costco a short asian woman was filling a gallon bag with chopped onion from the machine.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Last time I was at costco a short asian woman was filling a gallon bag with chopped onion from the machine.

id like to see the look on the receipt-checkers face as she strolled by with a ziploc full of chopped onion

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

please change my name to Onion Salad Buffet TIA

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
My girlfriend came clean to me. Apparently I hyped up the Costco hotdog too much. We went to Costco that day since we needed to return a kitchen storage container set, and I had her take a bite of the one I made. She now loves Costco hotdogs (polish), but I have to make them for her (relish and deli mustard first, tons of onions second, and then the kraut, parmesan and pizza peppers on top) from now on. I think I will marry her. PBUC

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Why can't she put toppings on her own dog

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Statutory Ape posted:

Why can't she put toppings on her own dog

She has no arms you insensitive gently caress...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Trastion posted:

She has no arms you insensitive gently caress...

Figures a goon would get a gf and still have to jerk himself off

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

The North Tower posted:

My girlfriend came clean to me. Apparently I hyped up the Costco hotdog too much. We went to Costco that day since we needed to return a kitchen storage container set, and I had her take a bite of the one I made. She now loves Costco hotdogs (polish), but I have to make them for her (relish and deli mustard first, tons of onions second, and then the kraut, parmesan and pizza peppers on top) from now on. I think I will marry her. PBUC

You mean banana peppers I assume. Pizza peppers? Seriously?

Also parmesan on a hotdog?

What the gently caress is going on here. Nothing about this post makes sense.

You're fired.

e: wait by pizza peppers do you mean red pepper?

gently caress you're an idiot

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 21, 2017

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
Judging another person's dog is a disgusting thing to do and also everything there made sense to me.

Except the polish part of it because my location doesn't have them. Are they good?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Parmesan and red peppers is a legit alt hotdog recipe.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

sandball posted:

Judging another person's dog is a disgusting thing to do and also everything there made sense to me.

Except the polish part of it because my location doesn't have them. Are they good?

They are wonderful, PBUC.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Had the day off so I made the monthly pilgrimage. While checking out a manager or someone tried to upsell me on the Executive membership. I understand they got quotas and poo poo to probably meet but I'm not the person to try and hustle at a checkout. Ended up skipping the dog because I wanted to get out before they could try again.

Still PBUC and I'm not cancelling my membership because BJ's ain't around here and even though there's a Sam's across the street :lol: at going to Sam's Club, but not a good visit to the 'Co today folks.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

sandball posted:

They are good. Judging is also good though. I was just having fun in any case, work is boring.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

C. Everett Koop posted:

Had the day off so I made the monthly pilgrimage. While checking out a manager or someone tried to upsell me on the Executive membership. I understand they got quotas and poo poo to probably meet but I'm not the person to try and hustle at a checkout. Ended up skipping the dog because I wanted to get out before they could try again.

Still PBUC and I'm not cancelling my membership because BJ's ain't around here and even though there's a Sam's across the street :lol: at going to Sam's Club, but not a good visit to the 'Co today folks.

If you buy a fair amount, the Executive Membership pays for itself. And while I have had Costco push it on me before, they always stop the second I say no.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Koop what if you just said "no thanks" and then continued on with your life. It's annoying for sure but you seem to be overreacting a bit, no?

In my experience the card hustle happened way more when the card was new. At this point I haven't seen anyone get hustled in a while... seems like most people have one.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Taima posted:

Koop what if you just said "no thanks" and then continued on with your life. It's annoying for sure but you seem to be overreacting a bit, no?

In my experience the card hustle happened way more when the card was new. At this point I haven't seen anyone get hustled in a while... seems like most people have one.

I did, and they kept pushing and that's what ticked me off. Plus the manager and the cashier trying the double-team didn't do them any favors with me.

Plus despite what they want to tell me, I'm not the candidate for the exec membership. I go once a month at most and if there's a month with lousy sales and I'm stocked up on essentials I can skip and be fine. Maybe once I go from renting to buying and need to get the big appliances the exec membership will make sense, but I'm gonna decide that on my time and at my leisure, not on a sales push.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Costco does what they call E-Blocks once a month from Thursday to Sunday. During their E-Block weekend, when the cashier scans a membership card it will flag a message saying that the member might benefit from upgrading to executive. This could be what happened in your case. I don't know what criteria you have to meet to get your account to flag on the E-Block, but I'm sure more than a few of the accounts that get flagged probably don't need to be.

At my Costco they used to push membership upgrades all the time at the register and it was annoying for both the people shopping and the employees who were forced to sell people on it. At least now they only make them do it during their E-Block weekend. They can see how long you've been a member for and they know that if you've been a member for like 10+ years that you have almost definitely made your decision about which membership you need. The only thing that might get someone like that to upgrade is if they're dropping a bunch of money on something expensive like a TV or a set of tires.

They do make upgrading risk free for you though. If you upgrade to executive and don't get back the amount of money you paid to upgrade by the time your membership expires, you just have to let them know at the membership desk and they'll give you back the difference.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Hmm... imagine... just getting executive membership and living the good life? :thinking_face:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
yo their kirkland dried seaweed snacks are bomb as gently caress and are like 7 bucks for a ten pack, they're filling and delicious, ask for em

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hmm... imagine... just getting executive membership and living the good life? :thinking_face:

I let a member rep talk me into the executive membership, i earned ten bucks and another "free" executive membership for the pleasure at the end of the rebate period lol

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Gonna get the Dog and some deals today I think. Saw Christmas trees last time I was there a couple weeks back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At my Costco after I declined the Executive membership, they put a little star sticker (like the "you get a gold star!" kind) on my card to notify them that I wasn't interested so they wouldn't hound me on future visits.

Basically what I'm saying is that my Costco rules.