Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

- freedom
- heterosexuality
- Jesus Christ

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Uno isn't worldwide? What the gently caress

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“Whiz Palace”" post="“476586982”"]
Things mentioned in, say, S4E10 that are not well known outside America:
  • Uno
  • gubernatorial elections
  • Jessica Biel & almost every celebrity PC mentions
  • “hand jive”
  • the Better Business Bureau
  • the American nickel
  • apple sauce
  • Dumpsters
[/quote]

What are these things called outside of America? Or, at any rate, their non-American counterparts?

EDIT:

[quote="“FactsAreUseless”" post="“476587045”"]
- freedom
- heterosexuality
- Jesus Christ

:911:
[/quote]

Also these, please.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Whiz Palace posted:

• Uno
  • "hand jive"
  • the American nickel
  • apple sauce
  • Dumpsters

Apple sauce?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Finally finished the season. Man that ending was beautiful.

It's so weird how this season was probably the darkest yet had some great uplifting moments like that as well.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

prefect posted:

Apple sauce?

Applesauce is regional, they eat it some places and not others. Also some places consider it a sauce and eat it only on things and some people eat it in a bowl. America calls it a sauce and then eats in mostly just with a spoon and only sometimes as a sauce on pork. So just having a bowl of sauce is a thing that might seem weird or confusing or like a joke to someone from a country that doesn't do that.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.topps.com/blog/horsin-around-test-cards-found-tucked-away-in-topps-archives/

Topps "found" a stash of Horsin' Around trading cards in their archives, and are putting them for sale for two weeks:
https://www.topps.com/ondemand/ondemand-available-one-week-only/2017-topps-on-demand-set-7-bojack-horseman.html

Bentai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 20, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Whiz Palace posted:

• Uno
  • "hand jive"
  • the American nickel
  • apple sauce
  • Dumpsters

In bold is a list of things that are well-known in my second-world country. 4/8, not bad
(note: nobody eats apple sauce, but people know what it is)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In Spain Uno is known simply as "One"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

With the popcorn in microwave thing about 10 or so years ago my mom and I were reheating leftovers and one of the items was store bought garlic bread, you know the kind that comes in a foil bag? Well neither of us remembered there was still some foil there and out it into the microwave, 5 seconds in I watch sparks fly and a small fire start.

We both felt really embarrassed that we both forgot to check but thankfully we didn't blow up the kitchen or destroy anything, except burning the toast

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Burying those under a stack of Desert Storm cards for the promo shot was inspired

E: these drat kids these days are never going to know the joy of microwaving AOL CDs

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The strangest part of this season to me was the idea the BBB would do anything at all about Todd's business.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

jon joe posted:

The strangest part of this season to me was the idea the BBB would do anything at all about Todd's business.
It was just an excuse to meet the man who built Disneyland.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jon joe posted:

What do they actually do in the real world, anyway?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Build better businesses.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Applesauce is regional, they eat it some places and not others. Also some places consider it a sauce and eat it only on things and some people eat it in a bowl. America calls it a sauce and then eats in mostly just with a spoon and only sometimes as a sauce on pork. So just having a bowl of sauce is a thing that might seem weird or confusing or like a joke to someone from a country that doesn't do that.

I knew there was some crazy poo poo going down in America, but eating apple sauce in a bowl? On its own?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

prefect posted:

Pretty sure it was just Yelp but before the internet?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eating applesauce on its own is the only way I've seen apple cause presented outside of my Jewish family, where it gets put on top of latkes and that is loving delicious

Putting applesauce on latkes is also literally the only time I've ever seen someone actually eat applesauce.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Whiz Palace posted:

Ha. What, really? Thats a real thing? I thought it was a absurd jab at the lack of government regulation in business in USA. That they would get so involved to the level of watching a show. I also assume business is barely regulated in the US.

You would be amazed at how strongly TV distributes American Culture.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

jon joe posted:

The strangest part to me was that the axolotl's name wasn't Betty Buenaventura of the BBB.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Wank posted:

Ha. What, really? Thats a real thing? I thought it was a absurd jab at the lack of government regulation in business in USA. That they would get so involved to the level of watching a show. I also assume business is barely regulated in the US.

You would be amazed at how strongly TV distributes American Culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Business_Bureau

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The best thing about the Better Business Bureau is it's not a government organization either.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Ah, self-regulation. The free market works!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Whiz Palace posted:

• Uno
  • "hand jive"
  • the American nickel
  • apple sauce
  • Dumpsters

This is a funny joke post you made.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Andenalli posted:

Some things about her just didn't seem to make sense together. Like how a 17 year old could be smart enough to graduate high school early but not know that putting foil in the microwave is a bad thing.

I had to stop a friend with a Masters from putting a knife into the toaster to get the bread out just a few weeks ago.

I then had to explain why I just about had a heart attack watching them take a knife to a toaster.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

prefect posted:

Shakedowns

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I wasn't raised with a microwave in the house so when I went to college (full ride scholarship) I put a metal bowl in the dorm microwave and welp.

it's a thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the escape goat posted:

I wasn't raised with a microwave in the house so when I went to college (full ride scholarship) I put a metal bowl in the dorm microwave and welp.

it's a thing.
It's cool that your school had full rides for the differently able.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“ninjewtsu”" post="“476592819”"]
Eating applesauce on its own is the only way I’ve seen apple cause presented outside of my Jewish family, where it gets put on top of latkes and that is loving delicious

Putting applesauce on latkes is also literally the only time I’ve ever seen someone actually eat applesauce.
[/quote]

Jews know what's up, and also what applesauce is.

[quote="“Wank”" post="“476593669”"]
Ah, self-regulation. The free market works!
[/quote]

:roflolmao:

The BBB, uh, aggregates people's opinions of a business. Nothing enforceable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

A business gives them like $200 a year, and then they give the business an A+ gold star, and then they ignore any and all complaints about that business.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
One of my dormmates had never used a grill that wasn't portable before. He smoked out the kitchen by leaving a single sausage in the grill with the door shut until smoke started escaping. That was also when we discovered that that handle of the fire extinguisher wasn't screwed on tight enough to keep it attached to anything and somebody had nicked the fire blanket. Good times!

Is there a soundtrack for the non-vocal tracks out? The music playing while Beatrice is with Henrietta in the hospital is beautiful.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The soundtrack is out and has some instrumental stuff, but I think they're all from the Seahorse episode.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1TCONwUgvvjqSYJFPUCUTW

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 21, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Eating applesauce on its own is the only way I've seen apple cause presented outside of my Jewish family, where it gets put on top of latkes and that is loving delicious

Putting applesauce on latkes is also literally the only time I've ever seen someone actually eat applesauce.

Applesauce is good if you're sick or you're an old person with no teeth

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL, here in the US we send children to school with little cups of applesauce in their lunch bags.

Now you got me thinking it's like sending them to school with half a jar of Prego.
Ha ha ha ha awesome kids suck take that you tiny losers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean just call it apple pudding or apple puree

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Something I caught on a rewatch of episode 11, when Bojack is describing being at the cabin in Michigan to his Mom: right at the end, when he asks "can you taste the ice cream Mom?" There is a split second pause in the last line "Oh Bojack it is... delicious." and Beatrice has her world-weary expression. It's almost like she's just briefly lucid enough to realize that its nonsense, she can't taste any ice cream, but she's playing along to make Bojack feel better. She's honestly letting Bojack in and rewarding an honest attempt to make her happy even if she only barely has patience for it: it's the closest thing to letting him have a mother-son bond that she's ever done.

Maybe I'm reading a touch too much into a small pause and facial expression but its a wonderfully subtle moment and I like it a lot.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I took it as her remembering how she could never have ice cream as a kid.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Renewed for another season!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/910901127331299329
:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Was there ever a doubt?