Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I've been on the fence about Pokken, what is the single player like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doom looks really good on Switch. I’d buy a lot of PS4/X1 focused ports if they matched that quality.

[quote="“Raserys”" post="“476616000”"]
I’ve been on the fence about Pokken, what is the single player like
[/quote]

Like all fighting game single player modes, it’s pretty tedious. Don’t buy the game for that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Raserys posted:

There's a demo, and hoo boy was I not impressed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pokken is perfect for backpacking through Southeast Asia, on the other hand

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Eurogamer's Doom write up is up that goes into more detail, and yeah it seems like they're sticking with 30fps from the preview event. Polygon writes that it's at 30 fps too.

Sad, but I'll take it if docked mode is at 60 fps. If they can't get 60 fps at all, then I'd really question if I'd still get it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Raserys posted:

It has a story mode, and no other single player content. The story mode is easy and not very long and has a little bit of character in it, but for the most part it's bland and not noteworthy.

It's a fighting game that you buy because you want a good fighting game to play against people. The online isn't really bad at all either if it's the same from the Wii U ver. If you don't like fighting games, I don't think you'll like Pokken either. Unless you just want the spectacle of a good Pokemon fighting game.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There's a demo, and hoo boy was I not impressed.

The demo sucks, the game is good. The demo has no training mode, no online, the computer AI is garbage, and you only get 3 characters and 2 assists. Read above about liking fighting games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1 more week till golf. sigh.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

[quote="“Ventana”" post="“476616238”"]
Eurogamer’s Doom write up is up that goes into more detail, and yeah it seems like they’re sticking with 30fps from the preview event. Polygon writes that it’s at 30 fps too.

Sad, but I’ll take it if docked mode is at 60 fps. If they can’t get 60 fps at all, then I’d really question if I’d still get it.
[/quote]

Normally I'd say 30FPS is acceptable for FPS on console with no major multiplayer stakes, but DOOM is so fast... 30FPS may hurt.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

golf story... when?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doom is still a day one purchase for the box art alone.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

5 more days until FIFA on Switch y'all

Between FIFA, Splatoon and NBA2K I actually have unique match titles I like now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pokken is perfect for backpacking through Southeast Asia, on the other hand

It's all a lie, try talking to gross western backpackers, when they aren't fake praying at a Buddhist temple and you'll see you've been duped

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah the demo really doesn't let you get the full feel of the Pokken fighting system which is so far my favorite of traditional fighting games

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pokken on Wii U had really good online. The net code seemed good and getting into matches was very quick.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

irlZaphod posted:

No you wouldn't, the layer with the games is in between.

A metal thing jabbing into either the games themselves, or pressing against the screen through a layer of felt, is probably not the best for the longevity of said game/screen.

Dizz posted:

Seems like a bad idea to balance the tablet directly onto the charging port with nothing else keeping it stable.

There's a plastic bit that stows underneath the dock that actually props the switch up at more of an angle than that one image indicates:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

That image is pretty misleading. You can fit your portable dock into a bag but can you also fit the cables?

:iiam:

Based on that specific image, "not if you also want to carry around another extra pair of joyconns", I don't know what the thickness of the brick is compared to those extra controllers though. And of course your case may vary, since that doesn't look like the "official generic" switch case.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arcade Mario Bros is a lot better than NES Mario Bros

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Are the arcade ports updated in any way? Is it going to be HD at all? Or is it going to be using a tiny amount of the Switch's screen to keep the original aspect ratio?

Because for $7.99 I want something more.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There'll be 46 Switch titles shown at TGS this year. But more interestingly, there will be 3 Wii U games. Who is showing off their upcoming Wii U games at this point?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ventana posted:

Eurogamer's Doom write up is up that goes into more detail, and yeah it seems like they're sticking with 30fps from the preview event. Polygon writes that it's at 30 fps too.

Sad, but I'll take it if docked mode is at 60 fps. If they can't get 60 fps at all, then I'd really question if I'd still get it.

It's a demanding game, period. I have a laptop GPU that's at least 3.5x as powerful on paper as Switch in docked mode, and it still only occasionally hits 60fps even on low settings and 2/3 of native resolution. And that's not even accounting for the CPU.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pokken is good as hell

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I had no idea Switch icons were such serious business http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401474

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Golf story never :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Arcade Mario Bros is a lot better than NES Mario Bros

Is it better than the version of Mario Bros that's included in Mario 3?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

There'll be 46 Switch titles shown at TGS this year. But more interestingly, there will be 3 Wii U games. Who is showing off their upcoming Wii U games at this point?

What is the column that has 263? Also lol at 20 different anime VN's being shown for the Vita

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vita has more games than 3ds confirmed

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the column that has 263? Also lol at 20 different anime VN's being shown for the Vita

Per Google Translate it's "Other (Miscellaneous goods etc.)". Accessories, maybe?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DLC Inc posted:

I had no idea Switch icons were such serious business http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401474

While an overreaction, he's not wrong. Nintendo has clear guidelines for icon design, and just the big image of a face makes it look like a cheap phone game. If I look forward at the switch and all the icons are generic character faces it isn't relaying in the slightest what the game actually is unless I'm familiar with it. Plus this is displayed blown up on the tv a lot of the time.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

DOOM on thumbsticks is adorable

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

While an overreaction, he's not wrong. Nintendo has clear guidelines for icon design, and just the big image of a face makes it look like a cheap phone game. If I look forward at the switch and all the icons are generic character faces it isn't relaying in the slightest what the game actually is unless I'm familiar with it. Plus this is displayed blown up on the tv a lot of the time.

The issue for me is that all game designers have to do is take existing art (i.e. Game thumbnails on regional websites like Europe or box cover art) and make that your icon.

D2 as another example of bad design was a custom made icon it seems and worst of all it doesn't make sense. The game is actually called Steamworld and not Dig 2.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Barry Convex posted:

It's a demanding game, period. I have a laptop GPU that's at least 3.5x as powerful on paper as Switch in docked mode, and it still only occasionally hits 60fps even on low settings and 2/3 of native resolution. And that's not even accounting for the CPU.

Yeah neogaf (while being terrible) has a bunch of people comparing low-spec pcs to see what's possible. I think there was a build that had a smaller gpu/bigger cpu that could hit 60 fps on lowest settings, but it definitely seemed tricky and rare to hit that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It would probably be slightly less aggravating if you could rearrange icons

The 3ds could do this since launch what's up with the lack of basic fundamental and super easy to integrate features?

Not a big deal but I'd love to tuck my lamer looking games into a folder when using the switch socially etc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this just reminds me that we only have 2 background options for Switch and I'm wondering if we'll ever get the option to create more

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

yeah this kind of thing was brought to my attention earlier in the week and i actually find it really interesting

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/908797276906192896

i don't own any of the games with problem icons but i totally agree that they look super lame and that the busier icon is the way to go:

on my 3ds i'm obviously going to want something small and simple but switch icons are way bigger and are usually on my tv screen-- i basically want them to be box art. most devs have stuck to these guidelines so the few that aren't make their minimalistic icons stand out like a sore thumb

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

DLC Inc posted:

this just reminds me that we only have 2 background options for Switch and I'm wondering if we'll ever get the option to create more

I think we'll eventually get more including themes, but I seem to remember it taking forever for that stuff to come to the 3DS.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Here's what Doom looks like undocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXZvvb7RNw

Not sure what fps this is but looks pretty good to me

That looks like 30FPS (which means nothing, I know, especially since it is a recording of a screen) and they say they think it is 30FPS in the video. When I switched from a launch PS4 to a Pro in the middle of playing Doom, I noticed a difference with Boost Mode activated. Framerate stayed lock even when I cranked the field of view all the way up. So I have 0 expectations the Switch can run 60 without severely lowering the FOV and losing a bunch of assets. Optimized for a stable 30FPS both docked and handheld is what I expect, but they may prove me wrong (I hope they do).

StabMasterArson posted:

Doom is the best FPS experience I have had playing on a controller, extremely responsive. Its not like you are sniping in the game much, so thumbsticks are fine for single player and not as many people play the multiplayer anyway so you don't really need an edge over anyone. For aiming and quick turns, I do prefer a mouse. However, for maneuvering, a left thumbstick >>>> WASD any day of the week. Even on Nightmare setting, maneuvering in this game is much more important than fine aiming given the weapon selection and run&gun style.

If this was a game that people were planning on doing Quake style deathmatch on, then ya, KB+mouse all day. But just the campaign against the AI? please...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Frankston posted:

I wonder what the battery life will be like with something as intense as Doom. 2 hours?

~3 hours. It's mainly down to how much the GPU is working and we already know what happens when it's pushed to 100% (BotW)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kaubocks posted:

yeah this kind of thing was brought to my attention earlier in the week and i actually find it really interesting

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/908797276906192896

i don't own any of the games with problem icons but i totally agree that they look super lame and that the busier icon is the way to go:

on my 3ds i'm obviously going to want something small and simple but switch icons are way bigger and are usually on my tv screen-- i basically want them to be box art. most devs have stuck to these guidelines so the few that aren't make their minimalistic icons stand out like a sore thumb

It's a really mildly irritating problem this generation. PS4 has a bunch of games with a really nice looking icon on the Store but you get it and it's something different. Like I got that Just Cause 3 when it was free last month, really lively picture of the box art when you buy it but the installed version is a plain black box with the game's logo on it. I just stuffed it in a folder with the rest of my action games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harlock posted:

Vita has more games than 3ds confirmed

Vita has always had waaay more games than 3ds, the important metric is "good games".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

StabMasterArson posted:

This isn’t pcmasterrace, calm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy hell, I just noticed that when walking around between fights in Mario XCOM the music seamlessly transitions between different instrument sets/harmonies depending on the nature of the landscape you're on.

Rabbid Ubisoft Guy done good.

• Locked thread