Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you have Home, you can get VirtualBox or VMware Player for free. They're not the same as Hyper-V, but they'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

fishmech posted:

Apple's down to about 13% of smartphones active worldwide, and a lot of them are older ones that don't support the new codec. It's 100% bullshit to say more than a third of smartphones are shooting their special snowflake format. It's niche as hell.

Then there is the fact that the rest of the ecosystem, including digital cameras, photo viewers, web browsers and everything else do not support HEIF and adding support isn't even on the radar. HEIF is niche as hell.

That said, the non- OSS compatible, patient encumbered source code is available from Nokia to implement a 3rd party plug-in for Irfanview so perhaps one day someone will desire this enough that one may be created.

Double Punctuation posted:

If you have Home, you can get VirtualBox or VMware Player for free. They're not the same as Hyper-V, but they'll work.

Unless you are in a Hyper-V shop I think you are better off running one of the previous two on your desktop PC in the first place. Especially VirtualBox which is free without silly restrictions like networking configuration (see VMWare).

Severing fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 22, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Severing posted:

Check the actual drivers for your audio from the chip manufacturers website. Often they include software with extra functionality including balance. For example, my Realtek audio chip on my motherboard has this. Reaktek is pretty common on motherboards as well but check your manual.

It's a Logitech keyboard. They don't seem to have any sound drivers for it. I used to use headphones to my motherboard, but they broke and now I only have IEMs that won't reach the case.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Have you tried installing the Logitech Gaming Software?

My guess is that your keyboard is acting as a USB sound card and that software may have the controls you are after. If not you might be boned unless you can use your motherboard again. That said, you can get male to female extension cables for your headphone/mic jacks from eBay pretty cheap.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What has been people's experience with Windows Insider Previews? I want to get the old-is-new-again version of OneDrive so that I can see my entire file structure locally again, but the Fall Creator's Update isn't going to begin rolling out until 17 Oct. Are the preview builds at all stable for daily use?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I used to use the Insider Previews and always found them fine. Its up to you, if you know what you are doing and dont load your PC up with junkware then you should be good.

Whats a good simple webcam recorder that will let me pick audio recording source? And is there a free video editor out there that will let me have multiple frames side by side, say if I was going to do a multi-instrument cover of a song?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doubt it, but: is there something I could just leave going during the day when I'm at work that trolls across my media drives going 'Well this is poorly a encoded avi from 1997, I could h264 this at x bitrate and halve the size without losing a great deal of noticeable quality' and just shrinks my things while I'm away.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 1, 2017

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Ynglaur posted:

What has been people's experience with Windows Insider Previews? I want to get the old-is-new-again version of OneDrive so that I can see my entire file structure locally again, but the Fall Creator's Update isn't going to begin rolling out until 17 Oct. Are the preview builds at all stable for daily use?

I had a bad experience with them this past year.

Wouldn't install the latest update, then shot me the "this build will expire in... days."

Was a huge hassle, had to completely reimage to solve it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Tbanks. I'll just be patient then since this is my daily machine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are your thoughts on disk encryption (Win10 BitLocker)? What's the performance hit for games vs movies and other reading on SSDs vs HDDs?

I'm thinking about doing it, but I also don't want to set it up and then regret it later.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Illuminado posted:

I had a bad experience with them this past year.

Wouldn't install the latest update, then shot me the "this build will expire in... days."

Was a huge hassle, had to completely reimage to solve it.

Same. I have it on my laptop and updates were frequent and took forever. This last one broke my system. Windows loads but task bar is inactive and can't launch anything to try and resolve it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tell me, please tell me there is some way to make it so when you open a subsequent explorer window that it doesn't completely cover your current window, such that when you want to drag files over you can see both without having to move one.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Why not just snap the window when you open it to the left it right? Window key + left arrow or right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ufarn posted:

What are your thoughts on disk encryption (Win10 BitLocker)? What's the performance hit for games vs movies and other reading on SSDs vs HDDs?

I'm thinking about doing it, but I also don't want to set it up and then regret it later.

If your SSD supports eDrive the performance hit is effectively null (a percent or two).

SSDs already encrypt data with their own encryption key as a function of how they minimize wear. In the past when you use bitlocker you were effectively encrypting twice. When you use bitlocker on a drive supporting edrive, bitlocker manages that encryption key and thus it uses the drive's encryption and thus there's basically no performance hit.

https://www.lullabot.com/articles/adventures-with-edrive-accelerated-ssd-encryption-on-windows

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Thermopyle posted:

If your SSD supports eDrive the performance hit is effectively null (a percent or two).

SSDs already encrypt data with their own encryption key as a function of how they minimize wear. In the past when you use bitlocker you were effectively encrypting twice. When you use bitlocker on a drive supporting edrive, bitlocker manages that encryption key and thus it uses the drive's encryption and thus there's basically no performance hit.

https://www.lullabot.com/articles/adventures-with-edrive-accelerated-ssd-encryption-on-windows

This is all true, but wanted to give some first hand account of actually setting it up. It can be a pain.

If you don't have things setup correctly Bitlocker won't take advantage of your hard drive's built in encryption and it will fall back to using slower software based encryption when you enable it. You will have to reinstall windows from scratch if everything isn't setup just the way Windows wants.

Make sure you have a TPM module chip in your computer. Most laptops have one, many desktop motherboards do not, though some include a slot for one so you can add it.
Make sure you use UEFI/Secure boot to install windows
Make sure the hard drive is provisioned properly. The Samsung 840/850 series for example has to be Secure Erase'd before you install Windows on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

THF13 posted:

This is all true, but wanted to give some first hand account of actually setting it up. It can be a pain.

If you don't have things setup correctly Bitlocker won't take advantage of your hard drive's built in encryption and it will fall back to using slower software based encryption when you enable it. You will have to reinstall windows from scratch if everything isn't setup just the way Windows wants.

Make sure you have a TPM module chip in your computer. Most laptops have one, many desktop motherboards do not, though some include a slot for one so you can add it.
Make sure you use UEFI/Secure boot to install windows
Make sure the hard drive is provisioned properly. The Samsung 840/850 series for example has to be Secure Erase'd before you install Windows on it.

Yeah, that article I linked goes in to that.

One thing I'll note is that while I've never done it, lots of google results seem to indicate you can use eDrive without a TPM.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yes, you can. The guides on https://decentsecurity.com walk through how to do it. The short answer is that if you can do it, you should.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You can force BitLocker to use hardware encryption through Group Policy. If you enable the policy, it should fail if you did it wrong.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I use Acrobat Pro DC to convert .html files to .pdf. Whenever I convert, the file path is displayed on the bottom of each page. Is there a way to disable this? I tried going through the Convert options but there were no settings for HTML>PDF conversion.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

me your dad posted:

I use Acrobat Pro DC to convert .html files to .pdf. Whenever I convert, the file path is displayed on the bottom of each page. Is there a way to disable this? I tried going through the Convert options but there were no settings for HTML>PDF conversion.

I don't know, but in case you didn't realize this, you can open the html file in your browser and print it to PDF.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is software to play Blu-Rays off a Blu-Ray drive still silly expensive?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Medullah posted:

Yes, and there is no guarantee it will get updated to support new blurays.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Medullah posted:

A lifetime license for AnyDVD HD is currently 87.20 euros on sale. That'll let you play any Blu-Ray disc that's come out in the past and all of them for several years to come at least, and you can just play the content on the discs themselves in most players like VLC, MPC-HC, etc since it enable full read access by bypassing the encryption. Of course this is all on the grey area of legal to use.

Otherwise yeah fully official software like PowerDVD is still like $80 and then expecting you to pay $50 every 2 years from then on to ensure you keep getting updates to play newer Blu-Rays and features of them. Sometimes you can go a whole 4 years on one version with newer discs staying supported, but it's usually only 2 years.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why is it that you can't play blueray on a PC? I skipped the BR era and went right to streaming so I never really random into this as an issue.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tater_salad posted:

Why is it that you can't play blueray on a PC? I skipped the BR era and went right to streaming so I never really random into this as an issue.

What? You can. It just costs money for blu-ray discs that have DRM enabled, which is nearly all of them. Just like protected DVD playback costs money (but usually Windows or OS X would have come with a license for it built into the price of the OS).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

What? You can. It just costs money for blu-ray discs that have DRM enabled, which is nearly all of them. Just like protected DVD playback costs money (but usually Windows or OS X would have come with a license for it built into the price of the OS).

right so why isn't it blueray built into the OS or the drive?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tater_salad posted:

A license fee is required. Companies arnt going to pay that and hope you use it. It's why windows no longer comes with dvd support. Nobody watched disc movies on their PC and if they do then they can pay the fee after the fact.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tater_salad posted:

Blu-Ray is built into the drive, it reads the discs. The licensing fee isn't built into the OS because like 90% of users are never going to get a Blu-Ray drive on their computer, or these days an optical drive at all. So why would Microsoft or Apple pay the licensing costs to include it in Windows Media Player/iTunes/whatever?

These days, Windows no longer includes a DVD license by default either, but most people don't notice it as they no longer have optical drives to play it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

tater_salad posted:

Because it’s 2017 and no one uses physical media anymore, gramps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad optical drives are dead because their build quality turned to poo poo. Built so many pc's before 2010 where I'd outfit a dvd drive on a new build, use it to install windows, then never touch it again. Then a couple years later I try a wipe and reinstall to upgrade or get a clean OS, and the door won't open or the drive motor siezed from disuse.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know, but in case you didn't realize this, you can open the html file in your browser and print it to PDF.

Thanks - I had forgotten about this and I just tried it but the file path still displays since the file is created via Acrobat Pro.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

me your dad posted:

Thanks - I had forgotten about this and I just tried it but the file path still displays since the file is created via Acrobat Pro.
Have you looked in header & footer settings for both source and destination files yet? Possibly somewhere in printer settings too if Acrobat is presenting itself as a pdf printer for other programs.

If nothing else, the software should allow you to remove it from the resulting pdf, I should think.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm kind of thinking about getting a wacom or something for using with OneNote on my desktop.

Having never used any inking/tablet type thing on a desktop before I'm wondering how the experience is. Anyone doing anything like this and have anything to say good or bad about it?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I'm kind of thinking about getting a wacom or something for using with OneNote on my desktop.

Having never used any inking/tablet type thing on a desktop before I'm wondering how the experience is. Anyone doing anything like this and have anything to say good or bad about it?

I use it on my surface pro and iPad Pro . It works really well if you have a use for it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

I use it on my surface pro and iPad Pro . It works really well if you have a use for it.

Yeah, I've used inking in OneNote extensively with touchscreen devices. I'm specifically asking about on a non-touchscreen desktop.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Pro artists get by with Wacoms, though they eventually upgrade to Cintiqs so they can look at what they're drawing. If you can get by looking at a monitor while drawing on a tablet, it'll be a fine piece of hardware.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I had one and it was extremely accurate, but I was not. I couldn't get the hang of drawing on one surface and seeing the results on another, even though this is exactly what a mouse does.

Try a friend's if possible. All that said, entry level Wacoms are fairly inexpensive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've also heard decent things about the Monoprice knockoffs. Might be worth getting one of those to test.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there a better terminal out there somewhere that supports SSH agent forwarding?

I used to use PuTTY all the time but since getting a laptop with a 4k screen I've noticed that fonts are always blurry in PuTTY.

The default Windows CMD prompt or PowerShell fonts look great and I can use Linux Subsystem to make them not suck, but they don't support SSH agent forwarding.

I've tried Hyper but it also does not support SSH agent forwarding.

Anything else out there that:
a) isn't lovely
b) supports high dpi and fonts don't look blurry
c) supports ssh agent forwarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Try Vandyke SecureCRT