Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Welcome back Good Place, I've been worried sick :rolleyes: about you.

I don't think Michael's in his own bad place. There's just no way to narratively fix the show where it's stuck on repeat because you can't ever root for anyone - even the most powerful character in the community. At least the overarching theme last season was 'What do we expect from a good place?'

I'm betting it's going to go something like 'the four transcend being in the bad place' but not necessarily by going to the good place, but by themselves becoming bad place architects or something similar making the theme 'If humans can torture themselves so well, why even work at all?'

'I'm a Ferrari ... maybe I can limp?' was my favorite sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Six seasons and a Netflix Original Movie, please

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Good opener all around, especially Tahani trying to figure out what to call a female plumber...clog wench indeed. Also I thought it was super cute that Janet and Jason just immediately fell for each other anything cause they're dumb, naive babies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Could go either way. But yea his minions are way more incompetent this year.

"I'm going to the gym."

I think part of it is that we're now seeing behind the scenes. The interactions between the human characters were the focus last season and now we've got them interacting mainly with the Bad Place people.

So to point out the obvious thing: all of the characters had undergone growth of some kind last season didn't go away. Elanor didn't immediately go off the rails. Chidi was able to make a decision (which they decided to torture him over, but it was a decision). Tahani was willing to set her own desires aside. Jason... still a dumbass, but he still loved Janet. Since that's the real reason why the things fell apart in hours, Michael is still butthole spidered even without the note. It's just going to take slightly longer. Maybe a day or two instead of one night.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

precision posted:

Six seasons and a Netflix Original Movie, please

As much as I'd love this show to be around as long as possible, you can only drag out the premise of the show for 3, maybe 4 seasons max.

I'd much rather it stays strong while sufficiently wrapping up the story rather than artificially dragging it out and hurting the quality.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I don't think Michael is in his own bad place, but he's certainly making one for himself. Also, there's no way that Eleanor doesn't find that tape recorder, sending Michael's plans to spiral off again.

I'm curious to see how many Groundhog Day sequences we get before the entire system breaks down.

EDIT: Just noticed that the "Welcome! Everything is Great!" sign at the opening is juuuuuuuust a little crooked.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2017

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

I just discovered and subsequently watched all of this show.

It's great! I'm glad to have another show to look forward to each week. I have a feeling there might be more surprises coming, and while I watch a lot of TV and can usually see where these shows are going with the twists (like WestWorld) I didn't expect the "we're in the bad place" thing at all. I wasn't even thinking about maybe they were gonna turn something around on me, hell the only possible hint I could look back on after first viewing was the prank show line and only because they pointed out that they said it!

Now that the huge bomb has been dropped though I'm sure they expect the viewers to be a little more prepared to think outside the box. I find the goons in here can sometimes (albeit rarely) totally guess what's gonna happen in a show. Sometimes I don't mind, I mean it's not like someone correctly guessing something spoils anything because I know they didn't know so I'm not watching new episodes thinking that whatever that post said is gonna happen. For this show however I'll probably have to do my best not to read the thread, that twist was so good I don't even want to have my mind hovering around the idea of another twist because I know they probably can't make another one as good as the first, so if there's even a chance of seeing someone correctly predict it I'd probably be disappointed.

Great show, I hope Trevor comes back, Adam Scott is just a good time, every time.

edit: Aww poo poo, no Adam Scott this season, now I KNOW I'm in the Bad Place.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 22, 2017

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Already confirmed Adam Scott won't be back this season due to scheduling conflicts with his new show, sadly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CaveGrinch posted:

Already confirmed Adam Scott won't be back this season due to scheduling conflicts with his new show, sadly.

More proof that we're living in The Bad Place :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully he'll be able to play a big part in season 3 when Ghosted gets cancelled before midseason

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

I don't think Michael is in his own bad place, but he's certainly making one for himself. Also, there's no way that Eleanor doesn't find that tape recorder, sending Michael's plans to spiral off again.

She finds it but pretends everything is working so they don't get sent to the place with the butthole spiders. I would totally hang out with Tahani if I could not have butthole spiders.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I want to learn to play guitar so I can form a band and call it "Butthole Spiders."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well there's already a band called Butthole Surfers which is imo even funnier

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I could easily imagine at least an episode or cycle lasting a couple of episodes where it's Michael being found out yet again and convincing at least some of the humans to 'play along' with the idea that they don't know they're in an annoying simulation designed to torture them given that the alternative is penis flatteners and butthole spiders, Shawn and the rest of Michael's bosses (assuming the premiere is on the level) clearly aren't omniscient, and the rest of the actors in the simulation may be evil torturers who long to bite humans, but at least one of them has the acting bug, maybe the entire "Good Place" could turn into a group Budhole, hiding from the rest of the Bad Place. At least until it falls apart before the second ad break.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Edge & Christian posted:

I could easily imagine at least an episode or cycle lasting a couple of episodes where it's Michael being found out yet again and convincing at least some of the humans to 'play along' with the idea that they don't know they're in an annoying simulation designed to torture them given that the alternative is penis flatteners and butthole spiders, Shawn and the rest of Michael's bosses (assuming the premiere is on the level) clearly aren't omniscient, and the rest of the actors in the simulation may be evil torturers who long to bite humans, but at least one of them has the acting bug, maybe the entire "Good Place" could turn into a group Budhole, hiding from the rest of the Bad Place. At least until it falls apart before the second ad break.

Michael convinces the humans to play along. The Bad Place's upper management is so impressed by his alleged results that they remake the rest of the Bad Place in its image.

The Bad Place becomes the Good Place. The Good Place becomes just another mediocre Mindy St. Claire-style purgatory.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Ted Danson has the best evil chuckle.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Oh man, it's all so still freshly watched for me so please try to excuse my honeymoon phase excitement. I keep thinking of super subtle stuff that hints at the big season 1 twist that both make sense after rewatch, and would be COMPLETELY unguessable on first watch.

Like the fact that they have frozen yoghurt, and Michaels line about how humans take things that are great and make them worse so they can have more. That stuff is perfect, I'm excited for a second watch to see more of that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hawaiian Pizza is in the bad place. I knew it.

ahahah, Plumbwench!

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 22, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Hawaiian Pizza is in the bad place. I knew it.

ahahah, Plumbwench!

Plumberess?

Clogwench?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Plumberess?

Clogwench?

Drainsweep.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
you can really see the :lost: influence in the first episode this season, but I get the feeling that Schur has a very clear idea of where everything's headed. this show rules

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Lastdancer posted:

Thank god there's another ep-- what do you mean its 9:55?!

I had the same reaction! The two parts of the episode flowed together so smoothly, I didn't even notice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

china bot posted:

you can really see the :lost: influence in the first episode this season, but I get the feeling that Schur has a very clear idea of where everything's headed. this show rules

Didn't he consult Lindelof about where Lost went wrong before laying out this show?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't he consult Lindelof about where Lost went wrong before laying out this show?

AVClub posted:

AVC: You talked with Lost and The Leftovers co-creator Damon Lindelof while preparing the show. What was his feedback when you told him that you had a plan for the first season?

Schur: His feedback was instantaneous and decisive, which was such a relief, because I literally said, “The game I want to play with you is called ‘Is This Anything?’” As soon as I finished pitching the world and the characters, he was like, “This is something. Let’s start there.” And then he, in an incredibly smart way, told me, “Here are the pitfalls. Here are the traps you can fall into. Here’s the problem you’re going to hit.” I actually at that point hadn’t come up with the whole season. I had come up with the beginning and the middle. He actually I think said to me, “You just need to know where you’re going.” He talked about how on Lost, in the middle of a season, if they didn’t know where they were going, they started to feel like they were spinning their wheels and treading water. Now they had to do 22, 24, 57 episodes a year, whatever, and they were an hour long. They had bitten off an incredible bite.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Cool, well I'm headed to the gym.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
"Plumberess" sounds so classy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo, biting guy is my new favorite character

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
God I love this show.
How much do you think this would have collapsed without the note?
On the one hand, it made Eleanor a bit more suspicious and eventually led her to pass on those drinks. On the other hand Michael really laid it out a bit too thick there. Tahani was so miserable from the very beginning, even though she was supposed to feel entitled to be there. The whole town tried to force alcohol on Elly. Jason hated Pillboy 2 so much that he willingly broke his act on the first night, just to get away from him.
I guess we will see what happens if there isn't some note in this iteration. Maybe some of the character development actually sticks beyond the mind wipe.

But I love how incredibly evil Michael is!
He forced Chidi to face the most important decision in his prolonged existence. Much to his surprise, the choice is incredibly obvious. But the moment he finally forced himself to actually say it out loud, Michael storms in and informs him that he made the objectively wrong call and shouldn't even have had this option.
Also "All the good philosophers are in the bad place. But you, you made it here!"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm going to reiterate my theory from the last thread that probably won't be proven/disproven for many seasons but here goes: Michael is the Devil. No one knows he's the Devil. No one is in on it. This premiere only cemented this idea in my mind. He's literally torturing everyone, from the main characters, to the "actors" who are supposed to be in on it, to the judge who just wants this little experiment to be over. Even the name Michael means "who is like God?"

Michael is the Devil.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

clown shoes posted:

Michael is the Devil.

You're almost correct.The real devil is Michael Schur. Only he could direct such a farce of mutual misery.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

I'm going to reiterate my theory from the last thread that probably won't be proven/disproven for many seasons but here goes: Michael is the Devil. No one knows he's the Devil. No one is in on it. This premiere only cemented this idea in my mind. He's literally torturing everyone, from the main characters, to the "actors" who are supposed to be in on it, to the judge who just wants this little experiment to be over. Even the name Michael means "who is like God?"

Michael is the Devil.

We got a live one over here! I like it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

clown shoes posted:

Michael is the Devil.

I... I like this...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CaveGrinch posted:

What's his new show called again? I totally forgot but it looked great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's his new show called again? I totally forgot but it looked great.

Ghosted

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They streamed the Ghosted pilot on Twitter last night and it was funny, though it suffered a bit from having to introduce the characters and situation, like pilots do. They're showing it again tonight and tomorrow at 9pm EDT, so you might want to check that out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Taco Defender

cant cook creole bream posted:

God I love this show.
How much do you think this would have collapsed without the note?
On the one hand, it made Eleanor a bit more suspicious and eventually led her to pass on those drinks. On the other hand Michael really laid it out a bit too thick there. Tahani was so miserable from the very beginning, even though she was supposed to feel entitled to be there. The whole town tried to force alcohol on Elly. Jason hated Pillboy 2 so much that he willingly broke his act on the first night, just to get away from him.
I guess we will see what happens if there isn't some note in this iteration. Maybe some of the character development actually sticks beyond the mind wipe.

I think it probably would have collapsed just as fast without the note. Jason knew nothing about the note, and he basically blew the whole thing by breaking character in front of everyone. I think that Michael might fool himself into thinking that the note was the reason the whole thing fell apart, but the actual reason is that his tortures were not subtle enough. It felt too much like torture too soon. Tahani broke at the party and Jason broke a little while later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Michael's whole scheme is doomed to failure simply because in its very nature it gives the humans too much freedom. No matter what scenario you give them, if you're not literally strapping them down and torturing them, humans are going to at least try to seek out ways to not be miserable. They're going to find what happiness they can. Either they figure it out and play along in secret or they don't and they blow the whole cover because they're unhappy and don't want to be. Michael keeps trying to figure out ways to make them behave in a way that keeps them miserable and no matter what he devises they're never going to do that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Regy Rusty posted:

I... I like this...

My only issue is why was he miserable as a desk jockey for so long?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Taint posted:

My only issue is why was he miserable as a desk jockey for so long?

Gotta build up the persona for that long con...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm wondering if the persistent character development that seems to have taken with the characters (Chidi being more able to speak up and make choices, even if he still gets nauseous, Eleanor actually largely trying to avoid being an ash-hole, Janet and Jason's mutual attraction) even between resets is what ruins "The Good Place 3.0". Like, maybe Michael tells Janet to give them all their favourite books, and instead of Kylie Jenner's Instagram, Eleanor gets her Scanlon book on the social contract.

• Locked thread