Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

superstepa posted:

He isn't wrong

I'm not sure if this is a joke so I am going to clarify that super friends is not a competitive strategy and that competitive sisay paradox engine decks will probably not add a single planeswalker to the deck

You can't stop me from adding Mana rock Garruk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gynovore posted:

Personally I'm thinking that, with the new Planeswalker rule, Sisay's Superfriends will become top tier. (Or Sisay will be banned.)

I had this thought for a hot second as well but yeah there aren't any green or white planeswalkers worth fetching on-demand, at least not for a combo kill. OG Garruk is probably the best PW for a GW deck but he was worth running even before the rules change.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I see no reason why you wouldn't include the dakmor salvage, eldrazi titan, discard outlet combo in any gitrog monster deck

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
All right, here's what I have for the Akiri/Bruse deck so far: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/akiribruse-wip/

Requesting critique, suggestions, and Toshimo ripping it apart and telling me what parts are bad.

Not sure what to add/take out to make it better that doesn't cost more than I want to spend on a deck that'll mostly be played 1v1 with a friend.

It's rough building this in only two colors. I keep wishing I had black for tutors/card draw or blue for card draw as well. Tymna still sounds like a great choice...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm not fond of Armory Automaton, Balan, or Kazuul's Toll Collector. They can wear equipment, but that just means you're splitting up your focus from "21 commander damage" to generic damage.

What is Etched Champion in here for? Gray Ogre with protection from all colors doesn't seem that impressive.

Akiri needs evasion. Whether that's flying, unblockable, shadow, or trample+deathtouch. There aren't a ton of cards in Boros that can do this, unfortunately.

Take out Temple of the False God before you trigger Toshimo, but just accept it's a bad card. Especially if your goal is to cast a 2CMC commander and equip it quickly.

Since you said this is mostly for 1v1, your other option here is to stay low to the ground--Akiri is cheap, which is one of the few benefits going for her as Voltron (low base power, no evasion). You can stick to the cheap equipment and Akiri-enabler cards, then go for land destruction. Armageddon, Impending Disaster, Ruination, Tectonic Break, Winter Orb, etc.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aranan posted:

I'm not fond of Armory Automaton, Balan, or Kazuul's Toll Collector. They can wear equipment, but that just means you're splitting up your focus from "21 commander damage" to generic damage.

What is Etched Champion in here for? Gray Ogre with protection from all colors doesn't seem that impressive.

Akiri needs evasion. Whether that's flying, unblockable, shadow, or trample+deathtouch. There aren't a ton of cards in Boros that can do this, unfortunately.

Take out Temple of the False God before you trigger Toshimo, but just accept it's a bad card. Especially if your goal is to cast a 2CMC commander and equip it quickly.

Since you said this is mostly for 1v1, your other option here is to stay low to the ground--Akiri is cheap, which is one of the few benefits going for her as Voltron (low base power, no evasion). You can stick to the cheap equipment and Akiri-enabler cards, then go for land destruction. Armageddon, Impending Disaster, Ruination, Tectonic Break, Winter Orb, etc.

Armory Automaton is worth it if you run a Sunforger package or if you're looking to trigger certain special equipment.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I had put Automaton/Balan/Toll Collector in as alternate ways to beat opponents down should Akiri/Bruse be taken out and I wouldn't be able to re-equip them at a suitable enough speed (read: if I don't have Puresteel Paladin out). Those three can just grab all equipment for free and smash faces in.

Etched Champion is there for similar reasons; if need be I can equip it with stuff and it wouldn't be able to be blocked in most cases.

I'm not quite sure what to do for evasion beyond what I've already put in. I suppose I could throw in Key to the City to make her unblockable, but I don't think there's much more I can do.

Temple of the False God I can take out; I'm just so used to using it.

Land destruction is doable.

I dunno, I'll consider it, since I'll be going to the LGS tomorrow to buy stuff. May skip it for now and just make a simple Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist deck, since she really doesn't need that much to be playable 1v1.

Also, probably gonna sell off some of my higher price modern pieces and grab some EDH heavy value cards like Mana Crypt, Pact of Negation, Force of Will, etc. Unsure if I wanna get an LED for combos, but the first three are probably highest priority.

That is, unless stuff like Aether Vial and Leyline of Sanctity are particularly great in EDH and I wasn't aware of it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Whatever the card is in the cats lrecon that lets you hunt for x basics where x is the greatest power among creatures you control, I need more copies of it. I need one in omnath just to make that deck even dumber

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Traverse the Outlands.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Matsuri posted:

Traverse the Outlands.

Yeah that poo poo. It's like six bucks tcg mid and hell it's worth it imo. It's pretty good if you can get a beefy dude

Might find some other stuff to round out a Direct order while I'm at it

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

How do people usually play Mystic Rhemora? I've been slamming it and it's underperforming; people either sandbag it or just play creatures and it ends up with me saccing it having not drawn cards. Should I wait to play it later, when the game is in full swing? Should I play it right before I go off so I get fuel for counter wars? Or is it just one of those cards that gets worse if people aren't playing competitive decks?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Ideally, you do it on turn 1, before anyone else gets to go. Then it hits all their early mana rocks and cheap card draw/tutors. Of course, they have to actually play cheap mana rocks and draw--pods without Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Moxen, etc won't give you as much value out of it.

If people sandbag, they're basically giving you free turns. It's not as great against creature-heavy decks, which a lot of casual decks tend to be.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aranan posted:

Ideally, you do it on turn 1, before anyone else gets to go. Then it hits all their early mana rocks and cheap card draw/tutors. Of course, they have to actually play cheap mana rocks and draw--pods without Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Moxen, etc won't give you as much value out of it.

If people sandbag, they're basically giving you free turns. It's not as great against creature-heavy decks, which a lot of casual decks tend to be.

I'm thinking it's just my meta's too casual for it to do consistent work, but I wanted to get second opinions on that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It gets way better in faster metas where people are playing a lot of 0-2 mana rocks, tutors, and cheap removal.

In a more casual meta, Rhystic Study will probably get you more mileage.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
One good way to look at it is to consider what the average first two turns of your playgroup looks like. Is it everyone just dropping a (tap?) land and passing? Or is it more like land -> sol ring -> signet, or land -> mox diamond -> grim monolith, or land -> mana crypt -> root maze?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Traded in some of my Modern bullion for EDH stuff. I now have Mana Crypt, Pact of Negation, flip!Jace, Chrome Mox, Flooded Strand, and Bloodstained Mire (and other stuff). Once I get a Force of Will and some more fetches/shocks I'm gonna be in business. I'd like a Lion's Eye Diamond but the price is kind of a bitch.

What are some good Doomsday piles to build?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If people in your group are holding back spells and just playing dorks because you Remora'd, then you should just blow them out by playing good cards to their bad ones.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Matsuri posted:

I'd like a Lion's Eye Diamond but the price is kind of a bitch.

What are some good Doomsday piles to build?

Yeah, I was kind of shocked to see that LED is over $100 now. Glad I picked one up earlier. I just wish I had done the same for Transmute Artifact.

For your Doomsday questions, check this out: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-edh-doomsday-primer/

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

hoobajoo posted:

I'm thinking it's just my meta's too casual for it to do consistent work, but I wanted to get second opinions on that.

Remora is incredible in pretty much every meta but you need to sandbag it until people start throwing out their ramp/value spells. At comp tables it's turns 1-3, at casual tables you probably want to hold it till turns 3+.

Remember that if people sandbag their plays just because of the remora then it has also done its job. A 4 player silence is a strong card

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

If people in your group are holding back spells and just playing dorks because you Remora'd, then you should just blow them out by playing good cards to their bad ones.

My problem is an increasing amount of mana gets spent to upkeep it, so I'm not progressing my board while bad decks are playing their creatures, which are still better than nothing. Eventually I miss a land drop and sac Remora without anything to show for it.

I'll try playing it a few turns into the game and see how that fairs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Yeah, I was kind of shocked to see that LED is over $100 now. Glad I picked one up earlier. I just wish I had done the same for Transmute Artifact.

For your Doomsday questions, check this out: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-edh-doomsday-primer/

Ah, thank you. I'll use that for ideas.

And yeah, it's like $125 now. It's apparently had a couple buyouts over the past year or so. So drat annoying. I guess it's not 100% necessary but it's a nice combo piece since it's 0 mana, you know?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Played Mirri at league tonight. Game one I hosed an Ur-Dragon player up. Hammer of Nazahn, Quietus Spike, Loxodon Warhammer, Grappling Hook, I was a ten ten double striker who also made you lose half your life when you took damage

Felt real fuckin great

And then I remembered why I should kill the Oloro player who was the Nekusar player from last week first, always, besides having an irrational grudge against him from last week: because he will politic and pull off all kinds of goofy poo poo and make life miserable for everyone even if it's a good game

Next week, I settle my blood feud

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively, instead of going on a vendetta, step up your political game and turn your opponents against him too. 3-on-1'ing someone is so much more fun than being 3-on-1'd yourself.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Matsuri posted:

Alternatively, instead of going on a vendetta, step up your political game and turn your opponents against him too. 3-on-1'ing someone is so much more fun than being 3-on-1'd yourself.

personally, I think vendettas are great. I've been holding a grudge for five years now that only exists during EDH games.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

superstepa posted:

Remora is incredible in pretty much every meta but you need to sandbag it until people start throwing out their ramp/value spells. At comp tables it's turns 1-3, at casual tables you probably want to hold it till turns 3+.

Remember that if people sandbag their plays just because of the remora then it has also done its job. A 4 player silence is a strong card

Playing mana dorks into Mystic Remora is one of my favorite :smaug: things in EDH.

Keep payin' that upkeep, bro!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Voyager I posted:

Playing mana dorks into Mystic Remora is one of my favorite :smaug: things in EDH.

Keep payin' that upkeep, bro!

Playing Mana Dorks is what I love seeing my opponent do in EDH. So many board wipes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ignoring the following:
Mystic Remora
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Grasp of Fate

What are the most powerful enchantments in EDH?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

Ignoring the following:
Mystic Remora
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Grasp of Fate

Sylvan Library, or were you looking for recommendations specifically in Esper? Zur deck?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Carpet of Flowers
Survival of the Fittest
Back to Basics
Chains of Mephistopheles
Root Maze

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Food Chain

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

AlternateNu posted:

Ignoring the following:
Mystic Remora
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Grasp of Fate

Rule of Law is probably the strongest stax piece in a comp meta

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Ignoring the following:
Mystic Remora
Necropotence
Rhystic Study
Grasp of Fate

Ones that haven't been mentioned:

Animate Dead
Land Tax
Defense of the Heart
Solitary Confinement
Stony Silence
Phyrexian Arena
Equilibrium
Greater Good
Aura Shards

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The 6th most popular enchantment according to EDHREC is Iroas, God of Victory. Proof that most decks online are bad.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Blind Obedience.

Also Purphoros.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
I'm a big fan of Holistic Wisdom as a green enchantment. If games are running long, it can help turn cards that may have outlived their usefulness into another card of that type from your graveyard. It's exceptionally good if you're able to keep your hand filled.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

superstepa posted:

Rule of Law is probably the strongest stax piece in a comp meta

And arcane laboratory!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I love me some Sneak Attack, if only because of janky bullshit in my old Mayael deck. Sneaking in fat dudes or value ETBs at instant speed for 1 mana is pretty nice, and it pairs easily enough with something like the previously mentioned Aura Shards, Greater Good, Food Chain and/or Animate Dead (just to name a few).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Red
Blood Moon

Green
  • Carpet of Flowers
  • Sylvan Library
  • Root Maze
  • Survival of the Fittest
  • Exploration
  • Food Chain
  • Pattern of Rebirth

Black
  • Necropotence
  • Animate Dead
  • Necromancy
  • Dance of the Dead

Blue
  • Mystic Remora
  • Back to Basics
  • Copy Artifact

White
  • Blind Obedience
  • Humility
  • Rest in Peace
  • Grasp of Fate
  • Rule of Law
  • Stony Silence

Honorable Mention:
  • Aura of Silence
  • Utopia Sprawl
  • Wild Growth
  • Phyrexian Arena
  • Chains of Mephistopheles
  • Contamination
  • Eidolon of Rhetoric
  • Spirit of the Labyrinth
  • Arcane Laboratory

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Stranglehold seems like a pretty big one since so many decks rely on tutors to work smoothly. And it doesn't restrict you, either.

Necropotence is still probably my favorite enchantment in EDH though. And Solitary Confinement, if you have a system to fuel it. (Thankfully, these two work together pretty well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

Stranglehold seems like a pretty big one since so many decks rely on tutors to work smoothly. And it doesn't restrict you, either.

That effect isn't worth 4 mana and a card.