Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Something Ricked this Way Comes has a lukewarm b plot with Pluto, but is gold otherwise. You have the butter robot, the devil, and Rick being very Rick.

"This was just a bit, like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the opera singer."

"Alright, I'm bored, everyone out."

It also has the best post-credits stringer, by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I liked it more than Pickle Rick. But they're both good. No real stinkers this season at all.

Pickle Rick is easily my least favorite of the season. It was fun I guess, but it just feels kinda empty which I suppose is kind of the point. Rick would rather avoid doing anything worthwhile or real for empty bullshit if it means he doesn't have to worry about the consequences.

For me S1E6 where the Cronenberg the world is the one that really sold me on the show moving forward and being worth following. I think it successfully hits all of the points that I think make the show great and honestly that early in the series not much has been developed so starting on a spot that shows how hosed up the world they operate in is is p great imo. that's the one I would share with folks, although the Lawnmower dog or Meseeks and destroy could also be good intros.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Everyone always forgets that meseeks and destroy is the one where Morty almost gets raped. That makes it a potential hard sell for someone not already into the show. Or a filter for people who can't handle the darker themes, I guess.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Funkmaster General posted:

Everyone always forgets that meseeks and destroy is the one where Morty gets raped. That makes it a potential hard sell for someone not already into the show. Or a filter for people who can't handle the darker themes, I guess.

He didn't get raped, though. :confused:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

prefect posted:

He didn't get raped, though. :confused:

Meant to say almost, caught me before the edit. Still, I doubt anyone is going to be 100% down with almost raped if they were not going to be okay with actually raped, either.

EDIT: NOT trying to start a debate about what is and isn't okay to do in a cartoon or whatever. I love that episode. Just saying it might be a harsh intro because of that scene.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

tarlibone posted:

Don't know if this has been linked previously or if you all will even be able to see it (it's blocked in some places), but Meeseeks in Japanese is something that's funny on many, many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuVLfLeBUn8

Just watch the jelly bean scene in japanese, then it becomes pretty standard anime fare

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The pilot is fine until they get to "up your butt Morty!" and I'm grateful that the show rarely gets that juvenile again because that is just super loving stupid Spike TV-Era-Ren & Stimpy level unfunny garbo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Funkmaster General posted:

Everyone always forgets that meseeks and destroy is the one where Morty almost gets raped. That makes it a potential hard sell for someone not already into the show. Or a filter for people who can't handle the darker themes, I guess.

The show is all dark humor soooo if you don't like dark humor maybe this show.....I guess what I'm saying is know your audience.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

The pilot is fine until they get to "up your butt Morty!" and I'm grateful that the show rarely gets that juvenile again because that is just super loving stupid Spike TV-Era-Ren & Stimpy level unfunny garbo

I can't help it, "all the way up inside your butt" (especially when the customs guy says it) cracks me up. :shobon:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I wonder if Mr. Jellybean is in Morty's Mindblowers now. Probably?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bust Rodd posted:

prefect posted:

I can't help it, "all the way up inside your butt" (especially when the customs guy says it) cracks me up. :shobon:
Yup, it's not that funny to start with but the continuation with the customs lineup makes it super funny.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mimir posted:

Might that be what one of the yellow ones are?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

El Jebus posted:

Might that be what one all of the yellow ones are?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AndyElusive posted:

Guys, give me a run down of the best episode or episodes to introduce someone to Rick & Morty.

So far I've tried with the Pilot episode twice on two different people at different times and failed miserably.

Yeah the first episode can turn people off with the seeds in the butt stuff.

Show em Rixty Minutes.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yep

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Might that be what one of the yellow ones are?

:can::can::can::can::can::can:That was Morty's fault though.:can::can::can::can::can::can:

:can:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The Atlantis episode should be continued as a spinoff series parodying The Wire

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

bull3964 posted:

Something Ricked this Way Comes has a lukewarm b plot with Pluto, but is gold otherwise. You have the butter robot, the devil, and Rick being very Rick.

"This was just a bit, like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the opera singer."

"Alright, I'm bored, everyone out."

Agreed. I started someone on the show with this ep and she loved it. It's got a good mix of sci-fi, subverting common tropes, a touch of each person's characterization, but with no portal/alternate reality stuff that might need earlier episodes to explain, nor does it have references to earlier eps that wouldn't make sense, apart from one wubbalubbadubdub.

Interdimensional cable, rickle in time, pickle rick, etc are all good but need setup from essentially all the rest of the series to really be appreciated. I say Something Ricked is the best, then go back to the pilot and hit the high points in chronological order.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

:can::can::can::can::can::can:That was Morty's fault though.:can::can::can::can::can::can:

Huh?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

It's a joke about rape being the victim's fault.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Solice Kirsk posted:

gently caress off

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Just watch the jelly bean scene in japanese, then it becomes pretty standard anime fare

Ha. I was thinking the exact same thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you can't handle the seeds in the butt joke then do not watch the show thanks

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CelticPredator posted:

If you can't handle the seeds in the butt joke then do not watch the show thanks

lmao this, seriously, it's such a weird thing to be sensitive about.

they cant go up rick's butt, they'll fall right out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mimir posted:

I feel like Rick would've thrown that vial into a black hole at the first available opportunity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What if every episode was actually a Morty's mindblower?

Think about that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They could all be from the last couple of months for all we know. Well, other than the 13th birthday one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That 13th birthday one was just so weird. Why would Morty take the candles and throw them in Rick's face? I don't know if it was supposed to be a prank, or if Morty just happens to throw the candles away for some reason and Rick just happens to be in the way. The way Morty just grabs the candles and throws them seems weird to me.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

That 13th birthday one was just so weird. Why would Morty take the candles and throw them in Rick's face? I don't know if it was supposed to be a prank, or if Morty just happens to throw the candles away for some reason and Rick just happens to be in the way. The way Morty just grabs the candles and throws them seems weird to me.

Morty had a lot more youthful pep in his step before a year and a half with Rick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Summer is a boss and she was the highlight of the episode

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

They just wanted something they could animate that would be really, really quick and give a reason as to why rick would delete morty's 13th birthday party. It definitely made less sense than most things in the show do.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I got some good news.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/21/rick-morty-dan-harmon-female-writers/

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Just for gods sakes don't look at the comments

Imagine I posted a gif of Rick and Summer beating up a neo nazi here

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

While it normally doesn't do much good, good to see he told the pricks to gently caress off anyway.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Parasol Prophet posted:

M Night Shyam-aliens (I think? With the simulation inside a simulation/Apples campaign) was the one that hooked me. I can't really think of anything in it that'd turn a new viewer off, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

This was the first episode I watched way back when and I have been hooked ever since.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Just for gods sakes don't look at the comments

Imagine I posted a gif of Rick and Summer beating up a neo nazi here

New episode idea: Rick spends the entire "A" plot killing a bunch of Nazis, Pickle Rick-style.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Domestic Amuse posted:

New episode idea: Rick spends the entire "A" plot killing a bunch of Nazis, Pickle Rick-style.

Also there is no B Story

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

I want to know what happened at Stanford. Or maybe Rick did the Stanford prison experiment and Morty killed a bunch of people.

I just love all the little details.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm glad they skipped "Virginity", which was evidently a Rick mistake.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mng posted:

I want to know what happened at Stanford. Or maybe Rick did the Stanford prison experiment and Morty killed a bunch of people.

I just love all the little details.

Stanford is likely a reference to Gravity Fall's Stanford Pines (a character). He also has traveled through dimensions, and has a similar mind erasing device in that show. There's been other references with Rick and Morty and Gravity Falls, most directly in the first season with Stanford's brother Stanley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1MSiZVHX4