Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Our favorite least favorite people are back for another year of alcohol, mental illness, illicit drugs, great sex, swearing, work, night work, home work, and heckles.

Where did we leave off?

Gretchen and Jimmy

Jimmy proposed to Gretchen on top of a hill during fireworks. Adorable. Then Jimmy took off. Less adorable.

Where are they now?
Jimmy ended up at a retirement trailer community, Gretch living on Lindsay's couch. Both are doing great. You know, when they're not watching The Fall Guy with angry old men or smoking crack and not leaving the apartment for 3 months (and 8 days).

Edgar and Lindsay

Edgar got a job writing comedy with Doug Benson, the world's most professional weed comic. Lindsay got an abobo, dumped by Paul, and moved into the apartment vacated by Edgar's ex (currently somewhere in Florida probably doing something really sad like working at Disney World or something)

Where are they now?
Being the serious ones with jobs and responsibilities. also now they're loving? ugh.

Becca, Vernon and Paul

Becca and Vernon had their baby, who mostly looked like a weird alien. Paul dumped Lindsay and should hypothetically be out of everyone's lives forever. We'll see how that goes.

Where are they now?
gently caress if I know, they weren't in the premiere.

So, get on Hulu and catch up if you need a refresher, watch the premiere on FX's website, and be here watching FXX Wednesdays at 10/9c or be a dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
premiere is good as hell

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lindsay wasn't even in the episode, still the worst.

Does anyone have that Paul gif from ep 12 of last season?

VVVVV: Oh for fucks sake

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 7, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This ep's a two-parter, don't forget to watch the second half!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I love this show so much. When I first saw previews I thought it was just another dumb FX comedy, but holy poo poo it goes from dark to hilarious back to dark quicker than any show I've ever seen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ahaha, amazing return.

"Gretchen won't give me any space, and she Canada rapped at me!"

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 8, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Work is for the day! :mad:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dig the new title sequence too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Edgar & Lindsey's mockery of Jimmy & Gretchen was show gold.
So glad this is back again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Not really happy that Lindsay basically being a functional-ish person happened off-screen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I do like the idea that she can actually function as a human being when she's actually allowed to exercise her problems productively somewhere instead of being cooped up at home all day.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh yeah, I loved how Lindsay is still very much her own crazy self despite possibly holding down a job that she's good at.

I'm just disappointed that it basically resolves her central arc off-screen.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Oh yeah, I loved how Lindsay is still very much her own crazy self despite possibly holding down a job that she's good at.

I'm just disappointed that it basically resolves her central arc off-screen.

Yeah, normally I get the value of that, but...what needs to be on-screen? We pretty much saw Kether Donahue let all that baggage go in her last big scene of season 3—when she was moved in to Dorothy's lovely apartment and realized she was free. How do you dramatize something like that any further without repeating yourself?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When did sounds get so loud yo?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I no poo poo thought that the opening of the second episode was a dream of Lindsay's for a solid couple minutes into the show, probably about until she got home to Gretchen. At which point I realized what the show was going for and went with it.

Also some of Gretchen's depression stuff in this episode hit very close to home. I've definitely spent multiple days holed up in my apartment ordering delivery and getting really gross because I'm terrified of going outside. I definitely haven't done it for over three months though (because none of my jobs have ever been able to be done at home). Also the whole "lying to your therapist about how you're really doing" thing.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
It was interesting how much the first episode (Jimmy's) looked like the second episode of Bojack Horseman, with them both being away from home, doing some woordworking while purposely trying to ignore everyhing, teaching an old man/fly things about life and then going back.

radlum
May 13, 2013

EricBauman posted:

It was interesting how much the first episode (Jimmy's) looked like the second episode of Bojack Horseman, with them both being away from home, doing some woordworking while purposely trying to ignore everyhing, teaching an old man/fly things about life and then going back.

It was really weird seeing Jimmy like that so close to having binged the other series. Anyway, nice premiere, though I didn't like Edgar and Lindsay together.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Gretchen not catching the book was ice loving cold and Jimmy totally had that poo poo coming.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Holy poo poo that ending

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Jimmy's actor has literally the worst beard I have ever seen...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DivisionPost posted:

Gretchen not catching the book was ice loving cold and Jimmy totally had that poo poo coming.

the sincere apology was very nice and I wasn't sure what was going to happen and then Jimmy had to go and Jimmy everything up by saying one last thing before Gretchen went inside. He is incapable of accepting fault for anything because he is a messed up loser. and it is hilarious.

also hilarious: "HEY. DOT. DOT. DOT."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Holy poo poo that ending

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

God, I was in such a content place for a brief 1 second and then Jimmy saying "but . . ." had me audibly yell NOOOOOOO at the TV.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Step 1 of making amends, never insinuate fault

Dammit Jimmy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Burn it.

Burn it all down.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I would also like to point out that this is a perfect example of Schrodinger's Gun But With A Hat. At the start when Edgar put it on I wondered why he was dressed like an old Cuban man and hoped that at some point Jimmy would heckle him about it but it was instead just taking a ride on Edgar's head directly to making a joke about a semi-obscure webcomic at the very end and it was like magic.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

the sincere apology was very nice and I wasn't sure what was going to happen and then Jimmy had to go and Jimmy everything up by saying one last thing before Gretchen went inside. He is incapable of accepting fault for anything because he is a messed up loser. and it is hilarious.

also hilarious: "HEY. DOT. DOT. DOT."

Was Gretchen genuinely accepting of the apology before the book thing? I thought the whole thing was fake/sarcasm and she was gonna kick him in the balls when he got close to her.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

Was Gretchen genuinely accepting of the apology before the book thing? I thought the whole thing was fake/sarcasm and she was gonna kick him in the balls when he got close to her.

Oh yeah, no way was she not goading him into doing something Jimmy. This season is going to be interesting, with the general direction of the show I don't think they'll get back together by the end of the season.

And yeah, Edgar and Lindsey is just plain gross. So much character development of him on the ledge, hopefully they stick with just gently caress buddies and don't have him slip back into having feelings for her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I was also hoping he'd get close enough to get decked.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Looten Plunder posted:

I meant Jimmy's sincere apology. She was genuinely accepting when he was just apologizing like a normal, not broken person, and she was going to go inside and leave it be, but then the little jab about 'family' triggered her. I definitely thought she was gonna smack him something fierce after that. He would've deserved it too.

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah, no way was she not goading him into doing something Jimmy. This season is going to be interesting, with the general direction of the show I don't think they'll get back together by the end of the season.

And yeah, Edgar and Lindsey is just plain gross. So much character development of him on the ledge, hopefully they stick with just gently caress buddies and don't have him slip back into having feelings for her.

After this week's episode I'm more OK with Lindsay and Edgar. They're not coming from the same place that Gretch and Jimmy did at the beginning of the show. They're just two friends who are moving up in the world who are single and wanna have sweaty, athletic sex on the reg. I know neither of them are particularly adjusted, but I really hope that they're not gonna blow this up, or if one of them does meet someone, they just go back to being friends. I mean, Lindsay clearly has no problem with rando sex, and I think getting to know her better probably cured Edgar of any sort of romantic feelings toward her (even if you stay friends and wanna hook up, I feel like "got an abortion behind her husbands back" would probably be the world's largest red flag for a potential SO).

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 15, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Excuse me, but I think you'll find she had an Abobo.
Much less sinister.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Khablam posted:

Excuse me, but I think you'll find she had an Abobo.
Much less sinister.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Seriously fantastic ending.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love how terrified everyone looks when Gretchen is livid.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Seriously fantastic ending.

Yeah just phenomenal.

I've literally never made a gif before in my life but for this I just had to. :tif:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode wasn't as good but I still enjoyed it. Becca's just a mess now huh

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

She was always the most broken of the lot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

This episode wasn't as good but I still enjoyed it. Becca's just a mess now huh

Yeah it wasn't that great. Love the Blue Apron sponsoring every podcast joke

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God, I hope they don't go the obvious sitcom route of Jimmy's newfound status is in danger if Gretchen tells people how he treated her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh drat, I knew I forgot to do something. This is shaping up to be an interesting season. Edgar's arc this season seems a little weak so far though

• Locked thread