Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

I just now got the HDR game bug everyone is talkin about haha

I think the thing was before the games I played didn't actually support HDR so the TV never went into HDR mode, on the E6P

Are you referring to the dim HDR game mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yep

I played FIFA 18 demo and got the HDR Game bug, went back to playing normal FIFA 17 and it just went back to Game (User) as the picture setting

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So I bought a 50" Vizio M Series for my bedroom and set it up using the rtings settings and it's pretty nice. Sort of expected a bit more from it but that's probably because of the ridiculous picture my C6 has. Anyway, the annoying thing is it only offers a few apps built in and you have to cast everything else. I would be fine if it had plex but it doesn't so I still need my firetv hooked up to it (wife doesn't want to use her phone to stream to it).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My outdoor TV only has cast, and my hatred of Google stepped up a notch after finding out it needs an internet connection to do anything and our cable is down.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My outdoor TV only has cast, and my hatred of Google stepped up a notch after finding out it needs an internet connection to do anything and our cable is down.

If you bought a Vizio, then the box says "Home Theater Display" and not TV. It's not a TV, and they were pretty clear about the lack of a tuner.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s not a Visio and it has a tuner. It’s only purpose is to bounce things from the lounge to the outside. I didn’t even know it had chromecast when I bought it to be honest and was originally quite impressed, but it gets added to the list of things that are now useless when the cable is out.

TV still does what I expect it to do (which currently is display a blank screen until Comcast get their thumbs out their asses).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s not a Visio and it has a tuner. It’s only purpose is to bounce things from the lounge to the outside. I didn’t even know it had chromecast when I bought it to be honest and was originally quite impressed, but it gets added to the list of things that are now useless when the cable is out.

TV still does what I expect it to do (which currently is display a blank screen until Comcast get their thumbs out their asses).

Why not plug in an antenna and watch broadcast TV? :shrug: Also I'm pretty sure that Chromecast can work without internet if you're directly mirroring your phone screen. I'm going to try that tonight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough the one thing I kept in my Amazon cart before I scrapped everything to replace it with flashlights and batteries for the storm was an antenna. It was originally for the guest bedroom but instead has gone into the lounge.

Being in south florida I get about 3 useful English channels, 10 awful English channels, and about 50 Spanish ones. I get our local fox and abc affiliates at least, I’m just out of range for cbs and nbc. It’s kept us informed with the rest of the world at least!

I probably will put it outside once we’re back up and running, or get a proper outside one.

The chrome cast feature seemed to indicate it couldn’t do anything while offline and googling seemed to tell me the same, but if there’s a workaround I’m all ears. I was just trying to bounce something from my Plex syncs on my phone to it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
What antenna did you get?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just this one. There was some better looking ones for a similar price I wanted, but were out of stock at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FUB4ZG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_vCMzzekHRDfzq

Im not convinced any indoor antenna is going to make the difference for channels based on what antenna web tells me, it’s no big deal for failover at least. Maybe I’ll get a good roof aerial and a HD Homerun setup in the future but it’s not a pressing thing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Antennas are dumb. I put one in my attic and got like 3 channels, put it in my basement and got 9.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sounds like your house is dumb.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Don Lapre posted:

Perhaps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Don Lapre posted:

Or maybe he's dumb and thinks attics are basements and basements are attics.

Man that'd be funny.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm going to use my TV to stream from a pc or Netflix, play games on a regular ps4, but I don't really have any uhd content for it. Don't have a 4k player, so it would be Netflix for Dolby vision only. And I'm in Canada so the tcl doesn't sell up here.

I've been looking at the m55-e0 from vizio fit about 950, but can't decide if I need that much TV. Would I be better off buying the E series or something else?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm going to use my TV to stream from a pc or Netflix, play games on a regular ps4, but I don't really have any uhd content for it. Don't have a 4k player, so it would be Netflix for Dolby vision only. And I'm in Canada so the tcl doesn't sell up here.

I've been looking at the m55-e0 from vizio fit about 950, but can't decide if I need that much TV. Would I be better off buying the E series or something else?

If you buy any of the Vizios, their Netflix client supports 4K so you'd be getting 4K content anyway.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
Can anyone here explain to me on a technical level what HDR actually is in a TV?

There's lots of articles throughout the internet that show the "difference" but all you're seeing is two different pictures where one has noticeably worse color, or is washed out, or is too dark, or something like that, and it's displayed on your computer monitor. It doesn't really tell you anything.

Furthermore, all of the marketing for HDR I've seen says that it has more accurate color. But how is it different from just having the right colored pixels in your video in the first place? Does that mean HDR has more color data per-pixel? So maybe there's 10 bits of color per channel rather than 8, or something like that, so that you don't see as much banding?

Or does it have to do with the TV's contrast ratio? Or just all around ability to accurately reproduce colors in comparison to other TVs?

Any help is appreciated, because right now I don't really get it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
HDR allows a larger difference between light and dark areas.

You really have to see it to understand but glow (on netflix) has a really easy to see demonstration. There are lots of scenes inside the warehouse they are wrestling in and you can see windows to the outside that are bright as hell.

High end HDR tv's also show more colors than were possible previously due to the enhanced levels of brightness.

The goal is to make video look more like what you see in real life.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Or maybe he's dumb and thinks attics are basements and basements are attics.

Man that'd be funny.

It's an Australian house built in the US.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Kafka Esq. posted:

I am also in Canada and looking for a 55" 4K TV.. But I need a tuner so the Vizio isn't an option. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Mostly I watch OTA TV, game on my PS3/One and do the usual plex thing, so I guess I need the TV to do a little bit of everything.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
I've been thinking about upgrading my 2009 40" Samsung HDTV. It's still working great, but I want something bigger for my living room.

Is there a such thing as a 4K TV that doesn't have SmartTV functionality? I could not give less of a poo poo about that, I don't care for it or would ever use it since I have all those capabilities via Chromecast or Apple TV or other means.

In fact, I honestly don't care for 4K either. Maybe I'm an old gently caress, but 1080p is still gorgeous to me. I'm only asking about 4K since it seems like 1080p TVs have bit the dust. But, I guess future proofing isn't a bad thing either.

So yeah, ideally, I'd like a nice TV without any bullshit SmartTV functionality. Contrast ratio, reproduction of colors, etc matter more to me than any of that other superfluous bullshit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

pliable posted:

I've been thinking about upgrading my 2009 40" Samsung HDTV. It's still working great, but I want something bigger for my living room.

Is there a such thing as a 4K TV that doesn't have SmartTV functionality? I could not give less of a poo poo about that, I don't care for it or would ever use it since I have all those capabilities via Chromecast or Apple TV or other means.

No.

Just don't use it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Buy a sony mastering 20" oled for $30,000

Otherwise just dont hook it up to the internets

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rickets posted:

I am also in Canada and looking for a 55" 4K TV.. But I need a tuner so the Vizio isn't an option. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Mostly I watch OTA TV, game on my PS3/One and do the usual plex thing, so I guess I need the TV to do a little bit of everything.

Don't let a $30 ATSC tuner from Amazon stand in the way of getting the best TV for the job.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

bull3964 posted:

Don't let a $30 ATSC tuner from Amazon stand in the way of getting the best TV for the job.

I did not know that was a thing, and I will take that into consideration.

The review for the M55-E0 says it doesn't deal with reflections well and suffers from a poor viewing angle, both of which apply to my situation (the TV is right across from a large window which the seating is set against). Can anyone speak to real life use of this set in a well lit room?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Viewing angle is standard for LCD, it's neither significantly better or worse than average. The only current TV that's going to get good viewing angle results in rtings are OLEDs.

Reflectively is also pretty standard. Some have better anti-glare filters, but it's all minor.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

No.

Just don't use it.

Well, another concern is security. I don't trust TV manufacturers to patch up their software in a timely manner. The fact I even have to worry about this is absurd. I just want a drat TV that displays a fuckin picture without extra bullshit.

But on that note, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then don't connect it to a network.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
drat must be crazy to still use a flip phone in 2017

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

HDR allows a larger difference between light and dark areas.

You really have to see it to understand but glow (on netflix) has a really easy to see demonstration. There are lots of scenes inside the warehouse they are wrestling in and you can see windows to the outside that are bright as hell.

High end HDR tv's also show more colors than were possible previously due to the enhanced levels of brightness.

The goal is to make video look more like what you see in real life.

Thanks for this, but I still don't feel like I understand HDR. How does, for example, an HDR LCD TV allow "a larger difference between light and dark areas" in a way that an older TV couldn't also do by just using the right colored pixels? I know contrast ratio matters, and that's an advantage that an OLED display generally has over LCD, but that existed before HDR, so HDR must be something more than a good contrast ratio, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HDR has two things that work hand in hand.

Brightness and color gamut.

Movies have always had a much wider color gamut than normal HD. Basically, the color triangle you aways see when you talk color gamut is wider for movies. UHD more or less matches the color gamut of the theater.

The other part is brightness. Conventional HD is mastered to a max of 100 nits of brightness. So, during the mastering process, there's basically 100 levels of brightness that can be used in a scene. So, if you want something really bright in a scene, the darkest part of the scene can only get so dark due to the relative scale of 100 nits.

So you have a frame of a night scene and you have an car with a headlight. You set the headlight at the mastered maximum, but now you only have so much headroom in the scene to make things dimmer. So, your either crush the blacks or compress the dynamic range to preserve detail.

UHD stuff is mastered to either 1000 nits or 4000 nits. That gives you much more headroom. Sparks flying in a scene could be mastered at 900 nits which would make them very bright, but then you also have a ton of room below that to bring out darker details.

It becomes even more apparent when you combine WCG and HDR due to the efficiencies of some colors. Having greater brightness range means you can get much more saturation out of inefficient colors, allowing you to display things that simply weren't possible before.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm pretty tired of standards constantly changing in a transparent marketing effort to drive sales, especially while critical aspects of some display technologies are left "unfixed" generation after generation. 4k isn't that important to me; most of my sources are 1080p or worse. HDR sounds nice but is only marginally important to me. LED TV makers should be focusing on core tech issues like panel uniformity, black level, and viewing angle, all of which are much more important to me than 4k support or HDR or smart features.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Number_6 posted:

I'm pretty tired of standards constantly changing in a transparent marketing effort to drive sales, especially while critical aspects of some display technologies are left "unfixed" generation after generation. 4k isn't that important to me; most of my sources are 1080p or worse. HDR sounds nice but is only marginally important to me. LED TV makers should be focusing on core tech issues like panel uniformity, black level, and viewing angle, all of which are much more important to me than 4k support or HDR or smart features.
Those things are nerdy and require knowledgeable salespeople to sell to people who don't know things.

HDR and 4K can be easily demoed with a video loop and a generic blueshirt can point at the detailed, colorful picture.

Also it's not like those things are unsolved, there are plenty of TVs that get those things right too, just they're also loaded with other features because the lower markets just don't care if the backlight bleeds.

Anyways, a bit over a decade ago your same rant would have applied to HDTV. Most of your sources were 480i (TV) or 480p (DVD) with the OTA stations still mostly broadcasting upscaled 480i if they had a digital signal going at all yet. Technology moves forward, and those of us who have the current thing often want something better once we get used to it.

Also the standard screen sizes have grown. When DVD was high tech my 35" CRT was still considered a "big screen" and pretty much anything larger required projection. These days 32" is pretty much the entry level and somewhere around 55". 70+ inch direct-view screens have gone from specialty equipment that costs more than a car to something you can choose from a half dozen options at Costco. 1080p just doesn't hold up on a screen that's large by modern standards.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 22, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I want maybe a 65" HDR OLED TV, what should I be looking at? Are there different price tiers for them at this point? Any prediction on how the price would change come next summer?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All of LGs current TVs have the same panels. So if your aren't until the extra features the higher models have (soundbar, "wallpaper" display), just get the cheapest.

So, you are looking for a B7.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

C7 is better because its all black. on the display.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
$3200, drat. Hopefully the prices come down a lot by next summer or so.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I paid $3984 like a month ago. Price went down 2 weeks later. Oh well, worth every penny man. loving TV is glorious.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I got mine for $2600 and made a $500 claim to citi so net $2100 for my 65" c7p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

HDR has two things that work hand in hand...
Okay, I think I understand a bit better now, thanks!

Now I'm curious: what kind of color model do non-HDR HDTVs use? Or HDR ones for that matter? I thought it was RGB but given this business about brightness levels I'm guessing there's more to it than that?