Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
That was an excellent episode of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I am disappointed they left Cultural Relativism unresolved.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Every concern I had about this show has been addressed and I’m totally on board

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

I am disappointed they left Cultural Relativism unresolved.

Probably will never happen without many, many hurt feelings on all sides.

I like this show, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This episode was great and was, way more than the previous two, literally just an episode of star trek. There was barely any attempt at comedy. The parts that were funny were directly integral to the plot in a serious way. Like, Rudolph was played for laughs, but also a legitimate plot device. Also, people who said the ending was uncharacteristically dark for trek, well... that's simply not true. TNG did poo poo like that a bunch of times.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I loved the asteroid being over a month out. Like, of course they have over a month. This is a c-list ship with a c-list crew.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snak posted:

The parts that were funny were directly integral to the plot in a serious way. Like, Rudolph was played for laughs, but also a legitimate plot device. Also, people who said the ending was uncharacteristically dark for trek, well... that's simply not true. TNG did poo poo like that a bunch of times.

Well, the holodeck gag wasn't integral... but it was still great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And also, just, like, how would not detect it at least a month out? The sooner you get to it, the less work it takes to fix.

edit: ^ I forgot about that part, actually.

But you could argue that even though it wasn't integral to the plot, it was thematically relevant, because it was about subverting tradition and cultural expectations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
This show really is just Star Trek with horrible dad humor

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God this show is incredible. This is everything I wanted and more.

I can't believe I'm in love with a Seth MacFarlane show.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

:same:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This was very good. It was kind of a gut punch the way the tribunal voted, but the way Bortus rallied hit me just the right way. I want to keep watching this show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If this was the bad episode, I'm on board with this show. I don't know what TV critics were thinking. I can only imagine that they watched the first 30 seconds, thought "this is about transgender issues," shouted "BAD EPISODE," and then turned it off so they could write their review. The jokes were funny and they flowed with the dialog, they weren't just shoved in. The plot seemed touchy at first, but it seems like they handled it well. I expected the twist to be that half of all that species are female, and no one ever thought to keep track of how many gender reassignment surgeries they did. It would actually be interesting if the only way to get pregnant is for one of the two to have been born a female, but no one ever realized it. In any case, the greatest writer of all time actually being a female was also good. And like someone said earlier, they went with the conclusion that would have really happened. They can't all be happy endings.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

THIS is what the critics had an issue with? I'd love to see some of them revisit it and address things now that we know what they're talking about. Not in an "eat your poo poo opinions" way, I am honestly curious how they came to them from those three episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bruceski posted:

THIS is what the critics had an issue with? I'd love to see some of them revisit it and address things now that we know what they're talking about. Not in an "eat your poo poo opinions" way, I am honestly curious how they came to them from those three episodes.

Fox aired episodes 1,3, and 4

Maybe they didn't gently caress up for once and Episode 2 is just really poo poo?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kazinsal posted:

God this show is incredible. This is everything I wanted and more.

I don't know how it happened. I love this show too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Maybe they didn't gently caress up for once and Episode 2 is just really poo poo?

I seriously think it's just critics getting 30 seconds in and making GBS threads themselves like Cojawfee said.

Teaser summary of the next episode:

TV Guide posted:

Ed and the Orville crew encounter a massive vessel adrift in space, which is in danger of colliding with a star. While some of the crew set out to help the ship's inhabitants, Bortus, Gordon, and John stay behind and fend off a Krill attack on another Union ship in the all-new "If the Stars Should Appear" episode of THE ORVILLE airing Thursday, Sept. 28 (9:01-10:00 PM ET) on FOX. (ORV-102)

The wording at the end there makes me feel like TV Guide isn't used to shows having episode title cards be an important thing again.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Just gonna quote this, because lol.

MacFarlane was totally into it in the scene where Mercer relieved Bortus of duty. This show is pure fanfiction in the best and worst ways. It's so weird.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah that scene actually made me go "holy poo poo, he actually knows how to act".

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
At this point, we're all just going "Wait, this episode was really/pretty good, the next one must be awful for the critics to be this angry".

It's kinda fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was a very good episode of television honestly. I was super lukewarm on the pilot but it's definitely growing on me.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Cojawfee posted:

I can only imagine that they watched the first 30 seconds, thought "this is about transgender issues," shouted "BAD EPISODE," and then turned it off so they could write their review.

You're really not kidding. Pretty much the only way that I can see where the critics were coming from there is squinting my eyes to the point that they're almost shut completely and turning off the episode as soon as the Captain and crew make it clear that they won't allow the baby to have that operation. "Oh, they're against the sex change? THIS EPISODE HATES TRANSGENDER PEOPLE."

I honestly never thought I'd say this about MacFarlane's writing... but I think that this Star Trek-as-gently caress episode was too... smart for them...? :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also the dumb lieutenant is the best character.

"Nabisco? The moon?"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

The Bloop posted:

It's a pretty sexy ship

It looks like a fish or an octopus swimming through the sea of stars I dig it very much.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Each episode was better than the previous one so far, so we're on a good course.

I was waiting for the hammer to drop that would push it into "what the hell were they thinking" territory during this one, since it was supposedly "bad", but it was ... totally fine?

I also was kind of expecting the asteroid turn into a b-plot, where each half would become a threat to another planet, which then needed to be cut in half, rinse, repeat. Not sure if I'm relieved or dissappointed it didn't happen, though.

Still waiting on Isaac to become offensively racist/speciesist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's weird because I love TOS but only like maybe 5% of all existing TNG episodes (as to why I watched the show if I didn't like it much, my mother was way into it) and this show is super TNG, yet I like it more than any Trek show (though I never really watched more than a few episodes of Voyager and Enterprise).

This episode was pure condensed "what was good about TNG and none of the bad".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tunicate posted:

These are definitely the three they saw, the reviews included their plot synopses and complained about the zoo episode being a well with trope(which it is but that doesn't mean it isn't fun or interesting) and the gender episode being something they didn't have the right to approach

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, fox aired them out of order?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

WhiteHowler posted:

There was that episode where Riker fell in love with the woman from the androgynous race. That one ended similarly to tonight's episode of The Orville.

I think there was also a taste of "Half a Life" where the alien Major Winchester had to commit ritual suicide despite about to make a great scientific breakthrough.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
God I'm actually really annoyed and disappointed how much the critics bitched about this episode in the screener reviews. Even the humor in it, which had been a bit of a sore thumb for me in the first two episodes, was mostly integrated well and felt appropriate. I'm still chuckling at Greyson's indignant "I've got a bad case of the tits!". On that note, despite all the complaints I've seen online about about Seth continually putting Alara in the forefront (complaints I think are completely unfounded) this was totally Macon and Palicki's episode and they nailed it. poo poo, MacFarlane even got in a good scene himself, with his anger and self-righteousness when dismissing Bortus nearly matching any of the five other captains (not an easy feat).

I totally understand why people would hate the Orville on the surface--after all, it's a smug rear end in a top hat's self-insert Star Trek fanfic, and nothing that said smug rear end in a top hat had done to this point had suggested he could write an even half-decent episode of Trek--but About A Girl pretty much put those concerns to bed for me. I suppose it's possible that this is the high water mark for the season, but even if that's the case I'm glad The Orville exists if only because it was goddam amazing to see an episode of Trek like this on TV in 2017.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mostly agree with the thread's sentiment. They handled the issues involved well and the episode was thoughtful and ended depressingly realistically. My only real complaint was that I still wish it was later in the season. It feels like a weird choice for Bortus's first focused episode when we barely know anything about him.

I could be wrong though, maybe what they wanted to do with his character made it essential to establish this first.

Regardless the extreme negativity from the reviewers just seems ridiculous. I'm feeling quite good about this show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's more Seth expecting that the show would be cancelled mid season and wanting to make sure he got in at least one stellar episode before that happened.

Indiewire posted:

One of “About a Girl’s” most major missteps is the way in which it confuses basic concepts of gender identity. Per the GLAAD media reference guide, phrases like “born a woman” are “reductive and overly-simplify a very complex subject” — yet the writers see the issue as strictly tied to biology, which is an overly simplified way of using allegory to look at a nuanced issue.

Gender is not simply an issue of “girl parts” versus “boy parts.” Instead, for many people it is a deeply personal question that goes beyond the binary, something that is only now becoming understood by the mainstream.

:siren: THE ORVILLE IS BAD BECAUSE IT DIDN'T DISCUSS GENDER IDENTITY IN AN EPISODE EXPLICITLY ABOUT BIOLOGICAL SEX :siren:

loving hell.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 22, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rocksicles posted:

Well, MacFarlane said they were made so they could be aired out of order, so it's no big thing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rocksicles posted:

Get out your crayons and color me shocked!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"It was good but we have a few suggestions" doesn't generate enough clicks. It was either the best ever or it was Nazi propaganda.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BattleTech posted:

I thought that was a good episode, I feel like it would have fit right in with TNG.

Yeah there's been half a dozen Trek episodes that are the same thing as that. The ending was kind of dark for the show's tone, maybe that threw them. I think they just decided gently caress Seth MacFarlane though. Which is good! This show is fun.

Tumblr can whine but gently caress 'em. I'm glad to see Star Trek on the air again. The last two episodes were good and the pilot was okay so it's already beaten TNG season 1's record.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just now got that Dr. Finn was married to The Sisko.

:aaaaa:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I can imagine a critic hating this episode because what even is this episode? It wasn't particularly funny. The number of jokes was pretty low. And the story is some plot in the third episode of a show with barely any world building or charactorization.

Like people reading this thread all have the cheat that we watched TNG and so we don't need the setting and characters spelled out. But imagine just being the random tv critic that barely knows star trek from star wars and trying to make sense of this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can imagine a critic hating this episode because what even is this episode? It wasn't particularly funny. The number of jokes was pretty low. And the story is some plot in the third episode of a show with barely any world building or charactorization.

Like people reading this thread all have the cheat that we watched TNG and so we don't need the setting and characters spelled out. But imagine just being the random tv critic that barely knows star trek from star wars and trying to make sense of this show.

Professional TV critic signed to review a sci fi show: never watched a single episode of Star Trek. And this happened repeatedly?