Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can imagine a critic hating this episode because what even is this episode? It wasn't particularly funny. The number of jokes was pretty low.
I dunno, I actually laughed out loud more times watching this episode than the previous ones.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And the story is some plot in the third episode of a show with barely any world building or charactorization.

Like people reading this thread all have the cheat that we watched TNG and so we don't need the setting and characters spelled out. But imagine just being the random tv critic that barely knows star trek from star wars and trying to make sense of this show.

These are decent points, though. There's been a reocurring issue of journalism outlets assigning the wrong people to review or preview media. Venture Beat recently uploaded a video of one of their journalists who isn't good at platformers trying and failing--repeatedly--to play a new platformer and the shitshow that resulted was unbelievable. It doesn't help that the gaming community is already incredibly insular and full of assholes.

Basically, Trek fans and people who consume media casually seem to really like the Orville, and that seems to be MacFarlane's target audience anyway. As long as Fox ignores critical reaction and the ratings hold, the show should do okay. I'm really, really curious to see the ratings for last night's ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not all that confusing. Yes this is only the third episode but I think the basic gist of the characters is pretty clear at this point.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Well the movie Passengers got made, of which the writer clearly had never seen any star trek or any sci fi whatsoever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lelandjs posted:

Basically, Trek fans and people who consume media casually seem to really like the Orville

So, everyone, then? :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Davros1 posted:

A dance contest is already better than any of the malfunctions on the Holodeck on Star Trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJmA4-w0j8

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Snak posted:

And also, just, like, how would not detect it at least a month out? The sooner you get to it, the less work it takes to fix.

Bureaucracy.

"the planet hasn't signed the consent forms yet"
"but their pens don't work on-"
"yeah hence the delay"

"technically the Xor'plax have mining rights... technically"

"it once passed through system 4873 and became a religious symbol. Lasering it would be blasphemy on their world"

actually i really want that episode now. billions of lives at stake but there's paperwork to be done and meetings to be had

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

actually i really want that episode now. billions of lives at stake but there's paperwork to be done and meetings to be had

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is on Hulu :)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

So, everyone, then? :v:

Well, yeah. Basically everyone who's not a critic that somehow hasn't seen/doesn't like Trek. Which apparently there's a lot of.

It could also be that, with the advent of a "true" Trek series on the horizon, critics are leery of putting too much praise on a show that's, well, a fan show, instead hoping to direct viewers to an officially sanctioned project. If the ripoff Trek does better that the real thing, viewership or quality wise, there's gonna be some egg on the faces of the Paramount reps who turned MacFarlane away when he approached them.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 22, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Discovery looks like a successor to J.J. Abrams' video-resume for Star Wars. I am very pessimistic.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Discovery to be good, I really do! Just like how I wanted The Orville to be good.

How loving insane would it be to have two good Star Treks on TV at the same time? That's never happened before.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

Professional TV critic signed to review a sci fi show: never watched a single episode of Star Trek. And this happened repeatedly?

yeah probably. It hasn't been on for 12 years and a tv critic is more than just any one genre. I bet a ton of them know everything about medical dramas or soap operas and just barely know the conventions of star trek.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's not all that confusing. Yes this is only the third episode but I think the basic gist of the characters is pretty clear at this point.

Yeah, I could tell you the basic character traits just from a photo because I have decades of star treks setting up what the engineer, doctor or science officer is always like and this just went with those rules exactly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Accretionist posted:

Discovery looks like a successor to J.J. Abrams' video-resume for Star Wars. I am very pessimistic.

I think the actual aesthetic looks pretty good, the uniforms and the ship sets, I just hope they aren't so darkly lit as they appear in the trailer. It's the "you started a galactic war!! With new, more extreme Klingons! This isn't your daddy's Star trek! You are Spock's never before mentioned human sister, like, woah is your mind blown!?" Stuff that's turning me off. But like anyone else I'll watch the first episode and then the rest if it ever goes off All Access

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

lelandjs posted:

How loving insane would it be to have two good Star Treks on TV at the same time? That's never happened before.

Don't be dumb, TNG and DS9 overlapped.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This is a good show. At first I felt that the comedy touches were kinda jarring and out of place but I feel like each episode manages to smooth things that little bit more, so even three episodes in it all feels more graceful than it did in the pilot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This episode was also good because it kept the Ed & Kelly will they/won't they to a minimum, thus proving that not every episode is going to have that hanging over it. The show will be much better for it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I really liked the music and visuals when they arrived at the Moclan homeworld. That was some drat pretty sci-fi right there. As for the episode; I loved it. So Trek but Mercer calling that one guy a colossal dick got a good laugh out of me, as did Yaphit's gelatinous penis (because I'm basically 12). I hope that horny pile of goo gets lucky.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wait that was supposed to be the bad episode? Ok well I'm on board. At least until Seth gets bored and actively starts trolling the audience.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Q_res posted:

Don't be dumb, TNG and DS9 overlapped.

I know what I said.

Whoever said that The Orville is basically TNG but with without all the bad bits that made them/me dislike it was dead on.

[Edit: typo'd the post and made it mean the opposite of what I meant it to]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 23, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was a very well made episode and I am glad I watched it!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've never watched Star Trek seriously, I only know its conventions through pop culture references, and I still like this show and have no trouble following it. How dumb do you have to be to have this show confuse you?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

PT6A posted:

I've never watched Star Trek seriously, I only know its conventions through pop culture references, and I still like this show and have no trouble following it. How dumb do you have to be to have this show confuse you?

Dumb enough to fail at being a TV writer so you fall back to being a TV critic.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have to give them their credit, they really get Trek. Or, at least the process of making Trek. That was basically a TNG episode with the serial numbers filed off and a few dick and tit jokes added in.

And it works.

It feels like classic TNG, right down to the way they transition to and from commercials. They pay an absurd amount of attention to the little details of how Trek was paced, flowed, shot and edited. Ignoring the arguments about whether the episode did or did not handle the subject matter well, the actual episode worked.

Do they have any Trek people working on the show or are they just really good at mimicry?

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
This episode was great and the critics are idiots for hating it. Blue collar Star Trek is a perfect label for it, and Scott Grimes is doing great as Helmsbro. He was great in ER, great in Band of Brothers, great in Justified, and great here. I hope his holodeck sequences continue to be easy laughs for the rest of the series.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mortanis posted:

I have to give them their credit, they really get Trek. Or, at least the process of making Trek. That was basically a TNG episode with the serial numbers filed off and a few dick and tit jokes added in.

And it works.

It feels like classic TNG, right down to the way they transition to and from commercials. They pay an absurd amount of attention to the little details of how Trek was paced, flowed, shot and edited. Ignoring the arguments about whether the episode did or did not handle the subject matter well, the actual episode worked.

Do they have any Trek people working on the show or are they just really good at mimicry?

Brandon Braga directed this episode and is a producer on the show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mortanis posted:

It feels like classic TNG, right down to the way they transition to and from commercials. They pay an absurd amount of attention to the little details of how Trek was paced, flowed, shot and edited.

I can't quite place why but the painted numbers and detailing around the doors in the docking bay look so perfectly Trek that I smile whenever I see them. I also grinned like an idiot when the cave they went into was obviously painted foam walls on a set.

But when the production value really counts (the when the planet is seen from space) the effects are impressive (for a TV show) CGI. Not that I mind painted and matted cityscapes or planets but that kind of work just doesn't hold up well in HD.

It's a nice balance.

[Edit: Oh and the prosthetic work is some of the best ever]

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
The ratings absolutely tanked last night, pulling a 1.1 in the key demo, down from the 2s in its Sunday time slot. EDIT: Looks like football just obliterated everything last night?

I'm already in love with this show, it just feels right while every now and then, it winks at you to remind you it's still just goofing around.

The Orville/Discovery dynamic is reminding me an awful lot of the 30 Rock/Studio 60 stuff from the 2000s, where people had Studio 60 pegged as the one to succeed and 30 Rock the one to fail. Then they aired.

TealShark fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 22, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TealShark posted:

The Orville/Discovery dynamic is reminding me an awful lot of the 30 Rock/Studio 60 stuff from the 2000s, where people had Studio 60 pegged as the one to succeed and 30 Rock the one to fail. Then they aired.

People seem to be pretty down on discovery, almost no one seems excited. Which seems reasonable since it's a weird prequel prequel sequel that is going to only show webisodes on a streaming service no one has ever heard of and embargo all reviews till after people have bought the service. I don't think anyone has it pegged to succeed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TealShark posted:

The ratings absolutely tanked last night, pulling a 1.1 in the key demo, down from the 2s in its Sunday time slot. EDIT: Looks like football just obliterated everything last night?

How are the number of viewers different if the two shows had the same ratings/share?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I haven't seen last night's episode, but drat I love this show. It's a total love letter to TNG, and all the reviews I read clearly had some kind of personal vendetta against Seth McFarlane. The complaints are just so overblown. The show has such a good heart, it's awesome.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

PT6A posted:

I've seen maybe 10 episodes of Star Trek in my life, and maybe half the movies, but still know a shitload about the setting just from cultural osmosis. It's a completely reasonable assumption that someone who is professionally a reviewer, and in particular reviews TV shows, would know a lot more than I do about pop culture and the historically quite important Star Trek franchise.

There's no way critics could actually be confused or not pick up on setting/narrative beats the show is inferring from its Star Trek-ness, I'm not having that for a second.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mister Kingdom posted:

How are the number of viewers different if the two shows had the same ratings/share?

Old people count for less in ratings.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vitamin P posted:

I've seen maybe 10 episodes of Star Trek in my life, and maybe half the movies, but still know a shitload about the setting just from cultural osmosis. It's a completely reasonable assumption that someone who is professionally a reviewer, and in particular reviews TV shows, would know a lot more than I do about pop culture and the historically quite important Star Trek franchise.

There is lots of tv genres, how much do you know about like soap operas? Or medical dramas? or police procedurals, or current sitcoms? Every reviewer is going to have some stuff they know gently caress all about.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This show just isn't that great for me... Just like how most Trek isn't great. I think 90% of the jokes don't land, and the (dramatic) writing can be pretty awful. The courtroom defense was pretty awful despite the otherwise lampshading how awful it was.

I'm still going to watch it all because I enjoy even bad Trek. This show is fine and schlocky. I don't think the critics are very far off with their assessment, especially during an era of 'peak tv' where critics don't even have time to watch all the 'great' shows out there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is lots of tv genres, how much do you know about like soap operas? Or medical dramas? or police procedurals, or current sitcoms? Every reviewer is going to have some stuff they know gently caress all about.

Yeah that just makes them bad at their job. They don't have to have seen every Sci-Fi show, but if you hear of one that is being consistantly compared to TNG maybe you'd watch a couple "best of" episodes of TNG, or watch it with someone who has, or don't accept that assignment. I get that a lot of these people are basically hacks that are beyond their level of incompetence already so I can see why they would just wing it, but that's not really a defense of them at all.

Also, the show really stands fine on its own. There is enough context to know enough to enjoy the show. Even an incompetent reviewer that had never seen Trek shouldn't have had any issues following the oh so complex plots or nuanced characters. It's bullshit. It certainly didn't get repeated over and over by nearly every reviewer. They were just desperately mashing send on their Seth Macfarlane hit pieces trying to be the first one to voice their displeasure because they thought that's what all the cool kids would be doing. That or they are simply just really dumb and bad.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TealShark posted:

What's going to be taking The Orville's place on Sunday nights?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's going to be taking The Orville's place on Sunday nights?

Family Guy and Last Man on Earth

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TealShark posted:

The ratings absolutely tanked last night, pulling a 1.1 in the key demo, down from the 2s in its Sunday time slot.

Not really surprising considering they moved the show to a new time for the 3rd episode. FOX! :argh:

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
SUNDAY

7/6c: NFL on Fox

7:30/6:30c: The OT / Bob's Burgers

8/7c: The Simpsons

8:30/7:30c: Ghosted (New series)

9/8c: Family Guy

9:30/8:30c: The Last Man on Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Another good episode!

I wonder what Norm McDonalds character does on the ship?

Also though I understand that its playing homage to Trek where all the aliens are kinda stand-ins for different human cultures and races for social commentary purposes. I wished they would have gone into a bit more detail (not explicit) about the Moclans biology and what makes the genders different and what the procedure did. Theyre obviously very different from humans but everyone was talking about the situation like it was a mamillian ape with a penis or breasts instead of some weird rear end alien, they seem to be fine reproducing mono-gendered, they dont give live birth.

About halfway through I thought maybe there was gonna be a reveal that the male/female thing was going to be increadibly superficial. Like they're the same except the females have hair. Or like someone else said that it was gonna reveal that about half of them are born female but changed at birth due to shame or something.