Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duck and Cover posted:

My suggestion is to get a Ekornes Stressless instead.

Interesting. Ok, but still there is the same problem -- I can't find a good desk that works at such low levels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Womens Jeans posted:

Interesting. Ok, but still there is the same problem -- I can't find a good desk that works at such low levels...

You can't expect me to give solutions to presented problems. If you do find a solution please post it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How about a Steelcase Leap WorkLounge + stool and a normal desk?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So, over the last few weeks, the lever based arm rest height locks on my Aeron have started to alternatley be too loose or too tight.

Thinking that I can just take the back off and fix this myself, I find that the right arm bolt won't come loose no matter how much force I apply to it, and the left side bolt looks like someone took a drill bit to it in an attempt to fix this previously. (loving craigslist.)

My question is can/how can I fix this without spending an arm and a leg? I'm seeing replacement assemblies for EACH BOLT at $50-80, and for that price I'll just buy a new goddamn chair and live with this one as is. The left side bolt would definitley have to be fully dremeled/drilled out, but even if I remove the bolt head, I think I'll have to damage the lever to get it loose.

OR what can I buy instead that won't develop this problem down the road?

Edit: also my lumbar pad keeps slipping down, am I just going to have to glue it in place?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 18, 2017

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thanks Ants posted:

How about a Steelcase Leap WorkLounge + stool and a normal desk?

Very interesting... thank you! Will definitely look into this some more.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh and ekornes does make an office chair version.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duck and Cover posted:

Very nice! Thank you!

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh I can actually get those where I live, nice.

Anyone have experiences with HÅG? I've been looking at the Tribute 9031 model. It looks high quality enough..

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sarr posted:

Oh I can actually get those where I live, nice.

Anyone have experiences with HÅG? I've been looking at the Tribute 9031 model. It looks high quality enough..

We have some of their other models at work. I'm personally not a huge fan - the arms aren't adjustable enough for my liking and their saddle chairs (capisco) are just weird, but they're definitely well made.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herman-Mill...eEAAOSwRr5ZuEIP

Would these be any good? I can't tell if they have the hardwood braking casters, or if that is strictly neccessary. I just want something that is comfortable to sit in, is stable, and won't break. I might want something taller, but I could also just get a shorter desk from somewhere.

Edit: Or at least something along these lines. Just realized its in California and costs $100 for shipping. This would probably be what I'd get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HERMAN-MILLER-CAPER-CHAIR-OFFICE-CHAIR-DARK-BLUE-/122711517279?hash=item1c922d285f:g:OUEAAOSwUBlZr0uF

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 22, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's just a basic waiting room chair, doesn't seem like it's worth the money.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

That's just a basic waiting room chair, doesn't seem like it's worth the money.

Hm, really? Well, Compared to the chairs I've been borrowing, it seems dramatically more ergonomic, has actual armrests, and can move without me picking it up. I've kind of given up looking for a chair I can recline in for any realistic price anyway, and the design seems so simple as to be hard to break. These things probably last forever right?

For example, I've been alternating between my wobbly old cheap office chair which feels like its on the verge of breaking, a hardwood dining room chair, and an old foldable chair that is even smaller than this and wiggles around when I shift. Even if this isn't that amazing, it is still better than what I've got, and probably won't break just from normal use.

Unless there are better chairs for $200 or less, I figure if I'm in this price range something simple and durable is for the best, so maybe one day I can save up to buy an actually good chair.

Edit: And to be honest having sat in these types of chairs for much of my time in college, they are way more comfortable that a lot of chairs used in waiting areas.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2017

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
And based on the reviews, its seems like everyone else who got this chair was probably living in the office seating dark-ages like me. I don't doubt that a person whose job involves sitting for very long periods of time would want a better seat than this, but considering where I'm coming from, and considering that they seem pretty durable, They look like a pretty big step up. I didn't come here to just blow off advice though, so I would like to know if there are any good alternatives as well, since I might not be able to find a desk that fits this without buying one.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

thechosenone posted:

Hm, really? Well, Compared to the chairs I've been borrowing, it seems dramatically more ergonomic, has actual armrests, and can move without me picking it up. I've kind of given up looking for a chair I can recline in for any realistic price anyway, and the design seems so simple as to be hard to break. These things probably last forever right?

For example, I've been alternating between my wobbly old cheap office chair which feels like its on the verge of breaking, a hardwood dining room chair, and an old foldable chair that is even smaller than this and wiggles around when I shift. Even if this isn't that amazing, it is still better than what I've got, and probably won't break just from normal use.

Unless there are better chairs for $200 or less, I figure if I'm in this price range something simple and durable is for the best, so maybe one day I can save up to buy an actually good chair.

Edit: And to be honest having sat in these types of chairs for much of my time in college, they are way more comfortable that a lot of chairs used in waiting areas.

Do I even want to ask why you are wanting to recline in a desk chair?

How many hours/day are you going to be sitting in this thing?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The standard recommendation for a $200 budget is the Ikea Markus. If that doesn't work then you're basically on your own, it's hard to get quality at that price bracket. :shrug:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 23, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know a good office chair for someone with lower back pain? I am more comfortable with chairs that let me tilt backwards or otherwise slouch, I don't like sitting up straight. Built-in footrest could be good, but maybe I can make do with an ottoman.

Also, is it my imagination or is it hard to get chairs in fabric these days? Seems almost everything is PU leather. I guess mesh is fine too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone know a good office chair for someone with lower back pain? I am more comfortable with chairs that let me tilt backwards or otherwise slouch, I don't like sitting up straight. Built-in footrest could be good, but maybe I can make do with an ottoman.

Also, is it my imagination or is it hard to get chairs in fabric these days? Seems almost everything is PU leather. I guess mesh is fine too.

I like my Leap V2 a lot, it comes in a number of fabric upholstery types and can recline pretty far back. Also the way the reclining mechanism works is much better than your average office chair, instead of the whole seat tilting the seat slides forward while the back tilts, that keeps the center of gravity for the chair above the piston so there is no instability when you recline. I got this chair because of lower back and shoulder pain and within a week both were gone, so hopefully it would do the same for you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
There's at least one goon who claims the Leap made his back problems worse so look for a showroom and try it out first if you can. The human body is weird.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just go in knowing that if you have been sitting with improper posture / like poo poo, then try to sit in a proper ergonomic chair it is going to be pretty uncomfortable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Etrips posted:

Just go in knowing that if you have been sitting with improper posture / like poo poo, then try to sit in a proper ergonomic chair it is going to be pretty uncomfortable.

You know what, I totally forgot that I actually used an overbed thing for a couple years and it was great, maybe I should look into that again, at least at times when my back is bothering me.

I don't suppose there's any of those "zero gravity" recliner type chairs with the monitor mount and everything that can be had for under 2 grand? Seems like they're all crazy money, I'm surprised no one has stepped in on Amazon with a cheesier version.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I was trying out chairs in a local Office Store near me and I found this one:
http://www.allsteeloffice.com/products/seating/work/19

I liked it more than the Leap I have.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Hi all,
I just recently got a desk that fit me so that I can sit without the chair lowered as low as it can go. So now I am looking for a chair that is comfortable for a change. This is for home use and I will sit in it anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours. I have sat in a bunch of different chairs; from cheap $50 chairs to $200 leather chairs. Nothing has really given me support, but then again at most desks I am sitting as low to the ground as possible.

I saw this video and been watching her reviews for a long time. Come to trust her opinion and just curious if these racing chairs are really comfortable and worth the price. Anything slapped with "gaming" on it, I research the heck out of it because "gaming" is just a marketing tactic and some things are terrible.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The go to recommendation in that price range is the Ikea Markus. Any chair with 'racer', 'gaming' or 'DX' slapped onto it is a pile of hot shite.

isndl
May 2, 2012
As a general rule of thumb, check the warranty. All the usual recommendations (Ikea Markus, the Steelcase and Herman Millers, etc.) come with warranties of at least 10 years. Less than that and even the manufacturer doesn't expect it to survive very long.

There's like a dozen companies selling palette swaps of those racing chairs, presumably all from the same factory. I think some sellers might have halfway decent warranties, the dudes in your review video has a two-year warranty "which is the most important reason why our customers ordering Ewinracing chairs" [sic]. Ergonomics are debatable. Unless you can swing one stupid cheap I'd probably stick with a Markus for less money.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The PU leather they use for the racing gaming chairs will disintegrate from your butt sweat shortly after the warranty period and you'll be out the money and a nice looking chair. The IKEA Markus is nice but the IKEA Volmar comes in a fabric option that I've found particularly tough.

Generally in the UK the gaming seats from the 'reputable' brands run £200+, the Markus is £150 and the fabric Volmar with adjustable arm rests is £200. The leather Volmar with adjustable rests is £225. I'd take the IKEA chairs over the gaming ones.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I always put a towel on my home chair to protect it from buttsweat, even fabric chairs. Gaming in Australia is especially sweaty though so maybe thats not necessary for everyone, but if sweat is something you're concerned about, it cant hurt. Towels are much easier to clean than a seat cushion

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Budgie posted:

The PU leather they use for the racing gaming chairs will disintegrate from your butt sweat shortly after the warranty period and you'll be out the money and a nice looking chair. The IKEA Markus is nice but the IKEA Volmar comes in a fabric option that I've found particularly tough.

Generally in the UK the gaming seats from the 'reputable' brands run £200+, the Markus is £150 and the fabric Volmar with adjustable arm rests is £200. The leather Volmar with adjustable rests is £225. I'd take the IKEA chairs over the gaming ones.
I just got a fabric Markus about 3 weeks ago for about $135 USD (in Canada no less). It's comically cheap for a decent chair, the fake leather one is actually a bit more expensive. Here's hoping it holds up, damned if I was going to spend another dollar on that PU crap.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

isndl posted:

There's at least one goon who claims the Leap made his back problems worse so look for a showroom and try it out first if you can. The human body is weird.

That's me. But I can't attest for the leap v2. I don't remember the one I was in having the center of gravity thing for reclining.

If you have low back pain, good lumber support is especially imperative. The original Leap for me did not have that. V2 might.

Definitely want to try out chairs before buying. I pretty much can't sit in any chair more than a few hours without pain anymore (even my Aeron now, though I can sit longer in it before pain). Some chairs flare up with pain after like 20-30 minutes. I'd also recommend a sit/stand desk if you can swing it. Alternating positions every couple hours helps me immensely.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Do you have some sort of other medical condition that is exacerbating your lower back? Because that doesn't sound normal at all.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Every person I know that complains about back pain are extremely out of shape. Wouldn't hurt to build up some muscles, help support your frame.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Also FWIW something like 80% of lower back problems can be improved with hamstring stretching. Used to hurt my lower back on a regular basis leaning forward while seated and addressing this has eliminated the problem.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Every person I know that complains about back pain are extremely out of shape. Wouldn't hurt to build up some muscles, help support your frame.

Counterpoint, being a powerlifter over 30 is also a life of pain.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Zero VGS posted:

Counterpoint, being a powerlifter over 30 is also a life of pain.

Yoga to balance things out and keep your muscles from sticking in a hypertonic state. Separated my shoulder in jiu-jitsu, then pinched a nerve in the shoulder 2 months after it healed. Shutdown everything past my elbow for about 3 months, which was suboptimal.

I've found yoga and pilates better at restoring mobility than PT. Either way, aging sucks and sitting all day chronically shortens several posterior muscles. Take care of your body early before it catches up. 30 is about the time your body goes *poof* and magically takes 2x to recover.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Whenever I sit in a computer chair my first instinct is to sit cross-legged in the chair, especially if I'm doing a lot of reading or video watching. Is this especially bad for my back?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Etrips posted:

Do you have some sort of other medical condition that is exacerbating your lower back? Because that doesn't sound normal at all.

I had a double discectomy on my L3/4, L4/5 discs about seven years ago. I also have stupid genetics where it seems like I always have tight muscles, even with daily stretches, regular massages, biking, and yoga a few times a week.

My back pain is largely localized now, versus also becoming sciatic pain and numbness and/ or cramps in my legs. So I'll take it.

High cbd marijuana also helps when it's at its worst (whereas I used to go through Costco bottles of ibuprofen pretty drat fast with no result), but I tend to just try to find ways to make my environment less painful to work in (sit/ stand desk, walking around when I'm thinking about solutions to a problem that I don't need to actively code in, etc. Which is why a chair that's comfortable for even a couple hours for me is a big deal.

[quote="“Unbelievably White”" post="“477034167”"]
Whenever I sit in a computer chair my first instinct is to sit cross-legged in the chair, especially if I’m doing a lot of reading or video watching. Is this especially bad for my back?
[/quote]

Probably depends on the rest of your body positioning. If you're feeling numbness or pain after a little bit... Probably. If you're keeping decent posture aside from legs, probably not. Might even be better for hip flexors since they're a little more stretched out. I used to put one leg under me at a time for comfort.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 4, 2017

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Fixit posted:

Hi all,
I just recently got a desk that fit me so that I can sit without the chair lowered as low as it can go. So now I am looking for a chair that is comfortable for a change. This is for home use and I will sit in it anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours. I have sat in a bunch of different chairs; from cheap $50 chairs to $200 leather chairs. Nothing has really given me support, but then again at most desks I am sitting as low to the ground as possible.

I saw this video and been watching her reviews for a long time. Come to trust her opinion and just curious if these racing chairs are really comfortable and worth the price. Anything slapped with "gaming" on it, I research the heck out of it because "gaming" is just a marketing tactic and some things are terrible.
I don't know about that brand but I bought a DX Racer for about $240 and its worth the price. It's much better than anything at big box stores for a similar price. It's improved my posture and is very comfortable. Other people are recommending the IKEA Markus which I found pretty decent but not worth the extra money ($350 here). I recommend sitting in both chairs to see what you like better, although I'm pretty sure the Markus doesn't even improve gaming performance.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Racing chairs are bad.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

Racing chairs are bad.

Why? Is there a stigma with them or is there a real study that shows they are terrible for back posture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fixit posted:

Why? Is there a stigma with them or is there a real study that shows they are terrible for back posture?

They are gaudy, cheaply built, and made of quickly wearing material.

Reddit recommendations are usually garbage and this is no exception.