Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

beefnoodle posted:

Can't help, but how did you get that view? I can't find how to get into column browser mode.

View > Column Browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Arivia posted:

View > Column Browser.

note: only works in the "Songs" sidebar item

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Arivia posted:

View > Column Browser.

That was no help

Last Chance posted:

note: only works in the "Songs" sidebar item

That was. Thanks!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

iTunes 12.7
Why the hell can't I resize this window? It's no longer giving me resize arrows when I hover over horizontal bar/lines.

Some stuff with other views seems to be broken in 12.7, I have the same problem + Artist view cuts off later tracks from an album as well. I guess they didn't bother testing anything but Album view.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I bought an album from iTunes today and before the purchase completed there was an extra dialog warning me that "I acknowledge that if I download or listen to this album within 14 days of buying it I will no longer be eligible to cancel this purchase."

I then received separate emails with the same warning for every track on the album. :stare:

I haven't bought anything from iTunes in a while; is this a UK thing or new in 12.7 or what?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ufarn posted:

Are iBooks epubs just straight up done for Windows users now?

All my epubs are in a calibre library on dropbox. When I want a new book I go to the files app and import it from dropbox into ibooks.

Hugmonster VIII
Jan 5, 2008

i think that turtle
want to race us!

The Kins posted:

They removed book and app management in a desperate bid to make iTunes less slow and bloated. It's a pretty terrible decision in my opinion, but I'm probably in the minority.

More than likely this isn't an attempt to make iTunes less slow and bloated now, but more an attempt to get users used to being unable to perform these functions outside of the apps where it actually makes sense to do so (iBooks on iOS or macOS; App Store on iOS; Tones settings in iOS Settings app) in preparation for iTunes to be split into separate Music, Podcasts, and TV apps on macOS 10.14 next Fall.

In other words: get your gravestones ready.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

12.7 is a buggy mess on Windows. Just discovered a new one yesterday: play counts don't update at all for me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TOOT BOOT posted:

12.7 is a buggy mess on Windows. Just discovered a new one yesterday: play counts don't update at all for me.

Hi! You're me from about two weeks ago. If you sign out of your iTunes account, close iTunes, then open it again and sign in again, play counts will resume working. No, I don't know why this happens.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Superior Apple UI experience :haw:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

porktree posted:

All my epubs are in a calibre library on dropbox. When I want a new book I go to the files app and import it from dropbox into ibooks.

This is what I do, too, since I'm a dumbass who has a Kobo, Kindle and likes how iBooks renders books. Everything gets bought on Amazon, then stripped and converted in Calibre and sent to the other device type as needed. Works fine.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I have to save some cashmoneys so I dumped my Apple Music subscription today. I thought ok all I have to do to put my music onto my phone is plug the thing in and click a bunch of poo poo in iTunes, a program I have not opened in over a year. NOPE. Apparantly its all drag-and-drop now? Except that doesn't do anything. Digging through my aged music library reveals my Music folder, an iTunes Music folder within that, and another Music folder within that one, all with some of, or all of, my legally-owned music mp3s.

I know iTunes likes to do its own thing, and I recall clicking 'let itunes manage my poo poo' a few years ago. Is there a recommended way to flatten all my stuff so it's just in one place? And how the heck do I get my stuff into my phone anyway?

crosspostin to the iOS thread too

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Did you turn off your iCloud library? AM may still be active, and you can’t sync from iTunes if iCloud library is active.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Did you turn off your iCloud library? AM may still be active, and you can’t sync from iTunes if iCloud library is active.

yes, this is the key. Turning iCloud Music Library off in iOS Settings -> Music -> iCloud Music Library will take you back to old school auto syncing with one computer instead of thru iCloud

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Last Chance posted:

yes, this is the key. Turning iCloud Music Library off in iOS Settings -> Music -> iCloud Music Library will take you back to old school auto syncing with one computer instead of thru iCloud

This did the trick. Thanks. Now I can sync my music like its 2005 again.

Now I have to untangle my music. I made a smart playlist that was set up to show duplicated songs, and deleting what appeared did the trick, only it didn’t find all the duplicated songs. It’s a start though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ManSedan posted:

This did the trick. Thanks. Now I can sync my music like its 2005 again.

Now I have to untangle my music. I made a smart playlist that was set up to show duplicated songs, and deleting what appeared did the trick, only it didn’t find all the duplicated songs. It’s a start though.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201812

It might not work any better, but it would allow you to get rid of the playlist at least.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I have a bunch of non-iTunes music on my iPhone 5 that I tried to sync to my MacBook Pro, and from there to my iPhone 7, but only the iTunes songs are migrating. Help :( Do I have to subscribe to Match to get all my stuff?

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 13, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ahhh the “how do I get my songs off my iPod or iPhone” question. A question as old as time. You have to use a third party “phone browser” style app on your Mac. Though I’m not sure which ones are best these days

E: actually I think I misunderstood. As long as the songs are in your iTunes library, they should sync.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Ahhh the “how do I get my songs off my iPod or iPhone” question. A question as old as time. You have to use a third party “phone browser” style app on your Mac. Though I’m not sure which ones are best these days

E: actually I think I misunderstood. As long as the songs are in your iTunes library, they should sync.

They should, but they don’t, except the purchased ones. All my other random mp3s that I play in iTunes on my phone just...stay on my phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So these are songs that used to be in your computer's iTunes library (I assume so if you can play them on your phone with the Music app) but no longer are?

If so, I think you’ll have to use a third party program. Pretty sure Match won’t upload from an iOS device, only a computer running iTunes.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So these are songs that used to be in your computer's iTunes library (I assume so if you can play them on your phone with the Music app) but no longer are?

If so, I think you’ll have to use a third party program. Pretty sure Match won’t upload from an iOS device, only a computer running iTunes.

Yeah, exactly. The iTunes library that used to be on my PC got wiped, so all of my non-purchased music (of which there was a lot) is gone. I still have everything on my phone, but as you say, can't seem to move it from place to place. Does anybody have recommendations for such a third party program?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The other iphone thread is currently engaged in a shitstorm over faceID, so maybe here's a better chance (even though its 0 to do with itunes)

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Is this the 'how do i do ___ in IOS' thread?

I've got a 7 with ios 11.1 installed. The bluetooth mic in my work truck is poo poo. When driving I pair up with the stereo, no weird use cases here. What I'd like to do though is that when I use the voice-to-text for messaging or twitter(usually, stuff like safari search would be the next most), have it always use the phone's mic and not the bluetooth- it dips the volume and doesn't pick up what I'm saying anyway.

I found a fix for Siri - get conencted, bring up siri, there's a bluetooth icon where you can select 'phone' - but this doesn't seem to affect the regular keyboard/voice-to-text

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

The other iphone thread is currently engaged in a shitstorm over faceID, so maybe here's a better chance (even though its 0 to do with itunes)

I believe there is no way to accomplish what you are trying to do other than the workaround you've found unless you can get your truck to stop presenting as a microphone to the phone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've been looking for a way to do with that for ages cause my lovely bluetooth receiver's mic sux. Every iOS update I poke around the accessibility settings hoping they'd add a preferred mic or something, but nope. :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hugmonster VIII posted:

More than likely this isn't an attempt to make iTunes less slow and bloated now, but more an attempt to get users used to being unable to perform these functions outside of the apps where it actually makes sense to do so (iBooks on iOS or macOS; App Store on iOS; Tones settings in iOS Settings app) in preparation for iTunes to be split into separate Music, Podcasts, and TV apps on macOS 10.14 next Fall.

In other words: get your gravestones ready.

I won't be shocked if they do this but it's really too bad if they do. As bad as itunes has been over the years in Windows, I feel on the Mac it eventually came to be a nice stable design element for Apple as it was too important to mess with too much there so it was generally immune to some of the bad fads that occasionally hit other software on the OS.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Scream posted:

Yeah, exactly. The iTunes library that used to be on my PC got wiped, so all of my non-purchased music (of which there was a lot) is gone. I still have everything on my phone, but as you say, can't seem to move it from place to place. Does anybody have recommendations for such a third party program?

Try iFunbox.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have problems with iTunes not syncing the phone reliably? I have to quit iTunes and relaunch it about once a day at least if I want the sync to go past step 2 of 4. I usually get an error box saying the connection was reset when I try to force it, and it doesn't always sync just by plugging my phone in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

iTunes never syncs reliably.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Does anyone else have problems with iTunes not syncing the phone reliably? I have to quit iTunes and relaunch it about once a day at least if I want the sync to go past step 2 of 4. I usually get an error box saying the connection was reset when I try to force it, and it doesn't always sync just by plugging my phone in.

Are you a time traveler from 2012?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, this is like my first time ever having this problem. I think it started with iOS 11. Otherwise it synced (wirelessly even!) whenever I would plug it in. I sync like twice a day (before work and after work).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't remember the last time I synced with iTunes.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I got a refund for an app on my iPad but I can still use the app, is that normal lol.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to not have iTunes suddenly jump to the next podcast in a feed while one is playing? This keeps happening all the time, mostly when there's like a minute and a half left on a podcast.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Install Overcast, problem solved.

edit: Sorry, I guess this isn't an iOS thread. They do have a web-based player tho, and it can't possibly be worse than iTunes.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 30, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IUG posted:

Definitely.

A few things I've observed that have been causes. Do you listen to podcasts (or have you ever)? Sometimes you have to turn podcast syncing off in itunes and it will resolve it (you can turn it back on after). Another problem (although this usually is a step 5 failure but can fail a bit earlier) is if you are syncing things that are on networked storage and for some reason itunes has lost connection to these files, then when syncing to an iOS 11 instead of just giving an error (usually a "this file type can't be played" or something along those lines which was dumb) like usual, it locks up and will keep relocking up until you restart your computer (at least for Macs). Another thing that's happening is that itunes starts downloading album art while doing the sync to an ios11 device and this causes the sync to hang forever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Is there a way to not have iTunes suddenly jump to the next podcast in a feed while one is playing? This keeps happening all the time, mostly when there's like a minute and a half left on a podcast.

In the old days this was a permission issue. Repairing disk permissions on OSX or setting the folder where your podcasts are in windows is writeable fixed it. No clue if this is still a fix but it's a place to start.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rick posted:

setting the folder where your podcasts are in windows is writeable fixed it. No clue if this is still a fix but it's a place to start.

Gave this a shot, hopefully it works out, thanks!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any good Overcast cross-apps for macOS and Windows? I am so goddamn sick and tired of iTunes, and it's not like an Electron app is going to be a downgrade.

There are just fifty trillion Electron apps with like ten stars on GitHub, and I don't want to commit to some dude's weird hobby project.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

ufarn posted:

Are there any good Overcast cross-apps for macOS and Windows? I am so goddamn sick and tired of iTunes, and it's not like an Electron app is going to be a downgrade.

There are just fifty trillion Electron apps with like ten stars on GitHub, and I don't want to commit to some dude's weird hobby project.

The Overcast web player is pretty bad, but if you're willing to move your iOS app, Pocket Casts is a) great and b) has a great web player (new one in beta now is even better). It's my Windows/iOS cross-sync solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm setting up a brand new ThinkPad and everytime I try to install iTunes, it says there's an error because my system hasn't been modified. Anyone know what's up? Windows 10.

All the advice for solving says to delete all the iTunes/Apple files I have on my computer, but again, it's a brand new laptop.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 9, 2017