Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Over near my place in Austin there's a lane merge that seemingly no one gets right.

There's a whole bunch of shopping centers around where Loop 1, Loop 360 and US 290 make a rather large triangle. On the 290/360 corner there's no access on or offramp between eastbound 290 to westbound 360 which is a popular way to get onto Loop 1 North to cross town lake. So everyone who's coming out of those shopping centers or trying to transfer has to get off the highway, onto the access road and take the light. In understanding this they made the light have two left turn lanes onto the access road for 360 North.

The silly thing is this access road merges with 360 itself and everyone on it wants to be in the right lane to turn onto Loop 1 North at the light at the bottom of the long and steep hill. As do about maybe 1/5th of the traffic on 360 itself. So you have all of these cars on this 2-lane road who try to all merge into the right lane right before the two lanes merge left. So you have all of these signs saying "Lane ends, merge left" and about 3/4ths of the traffic is sitting in or trying to enter the right lane that is about to end. Part of this is because the lane only really ends/merges after a rise in the hill so drivers can't see it, but there are still signs everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On my way home from work today I had a lady stop to let me pull out and turn left onto a busy road that was clear from the other direction. It was very nice of her.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

On my way home from work today I had a lady stop to let me pull out and turn left onto a busy road that was clear from the other direction. It was very nice of her.

PCOS Bill's account has clearly been hacked.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

Just zipper merge at the end and move on.

The correct way to zipper merge is to match the pace of the middle lane and merge at the end. What ends up happening is 5 cars all merge at once, creating an opening for more cars to pile in, which isn’t alternating cars anymore and creates a speed differential between the lanes. So the the merge lane is clearing out at a faster pace then the middle, creating a cascade effect that’s causes a jam. https://projects.511wi.gov/zoo-interchange-project/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/6-2-16_ZipperMergeWebsite.pdf

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/3VvzkSb.mp4

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This traffic looks unbearable

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
On my bicycle ride home from work there's a street that always packs up. Only one lane, but a bus lane next to it. You know, for the busses. Without fail, someone decides that waiting is not for him, and guns it through the bus lane.

Today two motorcycle cops were dishing out tickets to people doing just that. Sweet, sweet justice.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

bolind posted:

On my bicycle ride home from work there's a street that always packs up. Only one lane, but a bus lane next to it. You know, for the busses. Without fail, someone decides that waiting is not for him, and guns it through the bus lane.

Today two motorcycle cops were dishing out tickets to people doing just that. Sweet, sweet justice.

They did something like this in houston where everyone would merge at the last second in the intersection so they cops would waive them on to a side street and give them a ticket. I didnt see it happening but i went to court and they drew up a big diagram of thay specific intersection and why it was illegal and mounted it on the wall on the court so they could just point to it instead of explaining it over and over it was pretty lol. I watched them do like 30 of those cases before they got to me it was pretty funny.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bolind posted:

Broadway/Lincoln in Denver are like this and people use the bus lane as their personal passing lane all the time. Granted it's bus only during rush hour, but that doesn't stop anyone. I have yet to see it enforced so I guess that's why people keep doing it.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

bolind posted:

There's a spot like this near where I live. Feels good when the police come round :)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those crack downs only work when the dummos think it's safe to do and start doing it regularly. That's what I tell myself to keep my sanity. They [police] gotta wait. They know, they just gotta wait.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some woman in a Jag tried to do that to me earlier this evening, nipping up the inside using the bus lane before it ends and everyone is allowed to pull into that lane. NOPE.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well I'm sure I'm the rear end in a top hat at fault here somehow and I'm going to get read the riot act for even being present on the road for this, but I was sitting at a red light with cross traffic in the right turn lane, we got a green just as a group of people started crossing the intersection to my right, so I waited because the other option was "Mow down a bunch of pedestrians."

That wasn't good enough for the """""""""nice lady""""""" behind me who went roaring around me, cutting people off in the other lane who were turning left (T intersection, left or right only) with her fist pounding through her horn button and almost took out the last three people in the group crossing, just to make sure she got through that green.

And four seconds later I made my right on green with plenty of time to spare.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Murphys Law posted:

Two days ago I had some shithead stop in the middle of the highway in front of me because he wanted to exit. This was on the outer loop of 695 at rt. 40 by Golden Ring in Baltimore for anybody who knows the area.

His options here were:
A. Take the next exit and cross Golden Ring Plaza to get back over to 40.
B. Take the next exit, turn left, then use the cross road near the end of Golden Ring Plaza to get back over to 40.
C. Take the next exit, turn right, then use the cross road near the other end of Golden Ring Plaza to get back over to 40.
D. Take the next exit, and get back on 695 to travel the very short distance back to 40.

He chose E. Stop dead in the middle of the highway with his signal on to wait for an opening in the right lane. At least he signaled, right?
Traffic is flying past us on both sides. I'm leaning on the horn, terrified somebody is going to slam into the back of me at 60mph.
After what seemed like an eternity but was probably just a few seconds he gets his opening and slowly crosses the right lane to get over.
I have no idea if he cut anybody off doing this, or if anybody had to slam on their brakes or try to veer around him, because I was just focusing on flooring it and getting back up to speed as quickly as possible as soon as there was room to squeeze past his car.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3351069,-76.4859529,16.25z

At least he wasn't this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZSzlRKxw-4

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^^^I can't even...

Dumb: Don't come to a complete stop on a freeway.
DUMB: Don't start reversing on a freeway!
DUMB: Don't reverse in the lane when there's a perfectly good shoulder right there!
DUMBDUMBDUMB: Don't be so poo poo at reversing so you end up halfway in the center lane!
:suicide: : Don't hang out for a minute in a lane when there's a perfectly good gore point shoulder area you could wait in.

That person could've probably continued to the next exit in the time it took to not get killed or kill someone else.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I tried to pull a u-turn onto the opposite shoulder of a 40 mph road today. A guy was about 200 feet behind me so I put on my blinker and slowed down. He didn't slow down, instead electing to pass me on the left at about 55 mph as I started to make my turn. He realized as he was fully into the other traffic lane that I wasn't signaling and slowing down for the fun of it, slammed on his brakes and nearly lost control. I saw he was going to hit me if I tried to finish the turn so I jerked back and he floored it past while laying on the horn. How dare I clearly signal my intentions and then try to follow through on them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I tried to pull a u-turn onto the opposite shoulder of a 40 mph road today. A guy was about 200 feet behind me so I put on my blinker and slowed down. He didn't slow down, instead electing to pass me on the left at about 55 mph as I started to make my turn. He realized as he was fully into the other traffic lane that I wasn't signaling and slowing down for the fun of it, slammed on his brakes and nearly lost control. I saw he was going to hit me if I tried to finish the turn so I jerked back and he floored it past while laying on the horn. How dare I clearly signal my intentions and then try to follow through on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2i_rGKT3Rc

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a tricky situation in that video. I think we landed on passing guy being to blame? I was literally told to pass as fast as I could in a passing lane like that in driver's ed even though the law is different IIRC.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

It's a tricky situation in that video. I think we landed on passing guy being to blame? I was literally told to pass as fast as I could in a passing lane like that in driver's ed even though the law is different IIRC.

Passing a long line of cars like that is almost always a bad idea. At best it's going to take longer than you think it will and the odds of meeting an oncoming car are pretty high. There's also usually a good reason that no one ahead of you is swinging out to pass.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I generally have a lot of respect for truck drivers, but this guy seemed a bit inconsiderate.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Today I was making a right hand turn behind a pair of pickup trucks loaded with furniture. The road we were turning onto is a 35 MPH zone, and there's a long (~ 1/4 mile) slight hill that you can easily see to the top of.

Lead truck wouldn't make his turn as long as there was traffic visible at the top of the hill, as a result we ended up sitting there for over three minutes waiting for the perfect gap to form. They sat through four 15+ second gaps where there was plenty of room for both pickups to make a slow turn out and get up to a reasonable speed before oncoming traffic would catch up with them. After the third skipped gap I yelled "GO!" at them and the driver of the following truck started screaming about how their trucks were loaded and they needed extra room to go. Finally the road was completely clear and they proceeded.

At a red light at the next intersection I pulled up next to the following truck (I was going straight, he was turning) and the driver started up with the usual tough guy "you're lucky I'm so busy right now, otherwise I'd drag you out of your car and kill you" bullshit. I ignored him until he started hurling gay slurs at me - "let me guess, your human being rear end is in a big rush to go suck a dick. That's it, isn't it human being?"

I replied "you know, I don't consider being gay an insult and I'm sorry you're so insecure with your sexuality." Completely shut the rear end in a top hat down. He was clearly taken aback and opened his mouth, said nothing, sat there for a few seconds, gave me the finger and rolled his window back up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And that driver's name?

Albert Einstein

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
could've just given him the ol' mental patient jerkoff motion when he was explaining how important his big powerful heavy truck was

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

um excuse me posted:

Cops don't seem to agree with your drivers ed teacher, as I got a speeding ticket doing this very thing, and I was only about 10mph over.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Deteriorata posted:

There's also usually a good reason that no one ahead of you is swinging out to pass.
Definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one.

If you drive a lot in rural areas you'll come across a lot of patient people. They aren't in a hurry to get anywhere and generally won't pass anyone who isn't running their four-ways.

Once you've got that person behind a truck and/or blue-haired geezer doing ~10 under you've pretty much got a rolling road block. The vast majority of drivers in my experience aren't willing to make a multiple pass regardless of how much visibility there is. I'd say there's at best a one in twenty chance someone goes for a double around that group. If they don't, now you have a triple pass to get by and the situation just keeps stacking up from there without any actual valid reason for anyone behind the initial slow person to not pass.

Obviously making a multiple pass safely requires a lot of room where you're sure you won't have oncoming traffic or someone making a left turn, but in farmland America those kinds of situations are plentiful. Sometimes you have literally miles of unobstructed visibility.

The Locator posted:

Cops don't seem to agree with your drivers ed teacher, as I got a speeding ticket doing this very thing, and I was only about 10mph over.
Yeah, unfortunately most states would prefer that you dawdle along in the oncoming lane when passing rather than doing the actual safe thing and getting back in your own lane as fast as possible. Passing on a two-lane road is always going to be a tradeoff of safety, so the choice is whether you consider driving in the oncoming lane or driving at a high speed to be more dangerous. To me the answer is obvious.

Washington and IIRC Montana allow the correct behavior, which is to keep the pedal on the floor as long as you're in the oncoming lane.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 24, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

With the difference in my case being that I was the only one he was passing, and if he'd been paying attention he would have clearly seen my left turn signal, which I put on before I even started slowing down. But I really should have assumed that he'd ignore that, I'm sure he doesn't even know what it's for. Also it was a no passing zone coming up on a blind curve.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 24, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

With the difference in my case being that I was the only one he was passing, and if he'd been paying attention he would have clearly seen my left turn signal, which I put on before I even started slowing down. But I really should have assumed that he'd ignore that, I'm sure he doesn't even know what it's for. Also it was a no passing zone coming up on a blind curve.

Difference in your case is down here vehicles specifically doing a u turn have to give way. So you are at fault here. (E: When doing a u turn you are pulling off to the side of the road first - 2e: You are not making a normal turn because there's no intersection to turn into)

In the video it's different because you can't overtake cars indicating a normal turn.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 24, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wolrah posted:

Washington and IIRC Montana allow the correct behavior, which is to keep the pedal on the floor as long as you're in the oncoming lane.

Well, I got my ticket for this in... Montana so no, they do not allow the correct behavior, unless it's a somewhat recent change in the law there.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Difference in your case is down here vehicles specifically doing a u turn have to give way. So you are at fault here. (E: When doing a u turn you are pulling off to the side of the road first - 2e: You are not making a normal turn because there's no intersection to turn into)

In the video it's different because you can't overtake cars indicating a normal turn.

I just looked this up, apparently it's a bit of a grey area here. The way the law is written it's not illegal, but police have been known to give tickets for it. That said, passing in a no passing zone is definitely illegal regardless.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, but popping a uturn in front of anyone near a blind corner is risking a crash.
E: Also I had a feeling so I looked up uturns in non passing zones/road markings, that's illegal too.

If the laws are different there I would be suprised. It makes sense that people doing u-turns have to give way (as they are slowing down, pulling off to the side of the road), and they can't do it in non passing zones (like blind corners).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 24, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

Well, I got my ticket for this in... Montana so no, they do not allow the correct behavior, unless it's a somewhat recent change in the law there.

Looks like they're half way there. You can go up to 10 over the limit while making a legal pass.

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/8/61-8-303.htm

quote:

(2) A vehicle subject to the speed limits imposed in subsection (1) traveling on a two-lane road may exceed the speed limits imposed in subsection (1) by 10 miles an hour in order to overtake and pass a vehicle and return safely to the right-hand lane.

It's better than nothing, but still pretty easy to get a ticket.

edit: Wyoming has the same rule since 2012 apparently.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 24, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What is with people who will go under the limit, and then maintain their speed when the speed limit drops so that they are, in fact, speeding excessively? What mental defect causes this behaviour? It's insane. I'll pass people who are going 105 in a 110 zone, who then pass me when it drops to 90, as they're still going 105. I've always ever driven either at the speed limit, or at a certain delta above the speed limit, and I can fathom why you would speed more excessively in a lower speed zone than on a highway.

Some folk tell me it's all about where people "feel comfortable," but the truth is I'd quickly lose my license if I regularly drove the speed I feel comfortable driving and would like to drive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

wolrah posted:

It’s better than nothing, but still pretty easy to get a ticket.

That’s not the only problem with it.

It also ought to cover roads that are temporarily three lanes because one is added for slow uphill traffic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Some folk tell me it's all about where people "feel comfortable," but the truth is I'd quickly lose my license if I regularly drove the speed I feel comfortable driving and would like to drive.
I think it is related to that to a certain extent. There are plenty of studies showing that most drivers will default to a speed they feel is right for the road, conditions, and vehicle regardless of posted limit in the absence of strict enforcement. That's pretty much the basis for the 85th percentile speed recommendations. It's not much of a stretch IMO to assume that some of the lower tiers of drivers aren't really good at judging roads and just fall back to their one comfort speed that "works" most of the time.

Platystemon posted:

It also ought to cover roads that are temporarily three lanes because one is added for slow uphill traffic.
If I were Supreme Automotive Dictator I think I'd take this to its logical conclusion and reconfigure the striping so the extra lane appears from the left and is marked as an explicit passing lane. If you are in the lane you are required by law to be passing with at least a 10 MPH differential.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 24, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

What is with people who will go under the limit, and then maintain their speed when the speed limit drops so that they are, in fact, speeding excessively? What mental defect causes this behaviour? It's insane. I'll pass people who are going 105 in a 110 zone, who then pass me when it drops to 90, as they're still going 105. I've always ever driven either at the speed limit, or at a certain delta above the speed limit, and I can fathom why you would speed more excessively in a lower speed zone than on a highway.

I run into this every single day. I tend to run about 4-5 over, and my daily commute takes me from an interstate with a 75mph limit to a divided road with a 55mph limit. Almost every single day I'll pass people on the interstate where I'm doing 79-80, then exit to the state road where the people I passed on the interstate will go blazing past me now that I'm going 60... still 5mph over, but now these people are going 15+ over the limit instead of at or even under the speed limit like they were doing on the interstate. :iiam:

wolrah posted:

Looks like they're half way there. You can go up to 10 over the limit while making a legal pass.

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/61/8/61-8-303.htm

Must be somewhat recent (like within the last decade, my ticket was a good number of years ago), since I was ticketed for 10 over while passing. Wish it was legal everywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

There’s a two‐lane road that I take somewhat regularly.

It has a nice, long passing lane about halfway along.

Cars that have been going 55 mph (the speed limit) for twenty minutes suddenly engage warp drives and go 70 MPH in either lane.

I just keep on cruise control because the instant the passing lane ends, everyone, absolutely everyone, drops back to 55 MPH and stays there.

It sort of makes sense that the other drivers feel more comfortable going faster when the road is wider, but unless there’s some seriously slow oversized vehicle that was holding everyone up, all the passing lane achieves is a shuffling of the pack and a handful of second shaved off the drive thanks to that brief sprint.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 24, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Cars that were have been going 55 mph (the speed limit) for twenty minutes suddenly engage warp drives and go 70 MPH in either lane.

I loving hate this poo poo. I'm halfway convinced people do it deliberately because they don't want anyone to pass them.

It's like when you come up on someone in the left lane going slowly and you flash them and they refuse to move over, so you go to pass them on the right and they speed up to try to stop you from passing. It's such loving bullshit, people suck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
FFS. Just one quick trip to Halfords, and I had:
- BMW 3-series (debadged 4-pot diesel on a personal plate, absolutely shocking there) deciding that the instant I indicated to pull into the inside lane it was a good time to try and accelerate up the inside of me.
- Some mildly modified VAG estate (Skoda?) blatting through 30mph town centre traffic at a 40+ slalom
- A '16-plate M3 doing the same thing in a slightly milder fashion.

LotsOfCunts.gif

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the person who will sit in the right most lane doing exactly the speed limit with cruise control on on a multi-lane, controlled access road. If you get upset, and don't move to a wide open left lane to pass me, I don't know what to tell you other than you're a dipshit. My gas mileage is more important than you having to save all of five seconds in the long run. And yes, I will accelerate if I do have to move to the left lane to pass someone (and then move back over).

The worst thing is when two people both try to turn left in the same median cutout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

I'm the person who will sit in the right most lane doing exactly the speed limit with cruise control on on a multi-lane, controlled access road. If you get upset, and don't move to a wide open left lane to pass me, I don't know what to tell you other than you're a dipshit. My gas mileage is more important than you having to save all of five seconds in the long run. And yes, I will accelerate if I do have to move to the left lane to pass someone (and then move back over).

Thanks for staying in the right lane where slow people belong I guess?