Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ian Flynn posted a knowing smile on Twitter. This is likely good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I sincerely hope that if IDW is able to basically pick up Sonic where it left off, they can do the same for Mega Man as well. That series was so good and they teased so much cool stuff that never came to pass.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panic Restaurant posted:

I sincerely hope that if IDW is able to basically pick up Sonic where it left off, they can do the same for Mega Man as well. That series was so good and they teased so much cool stuff that never came to pass.

They got the rights to it so maybe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

since when does IDW have the rights to Mega Man?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TFRazorsaw posted:

since when does IDW have the rights to Mega Man?

Just after they got the rights to Sonic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

do you have a link to that? I haven't heard that at all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I heard it. I will try and find a link.

Can't find anything. From looking around someone just said that as a what if. And I missed that they were just speculating. I think I just looked at the title "IDW obtains Megaman" and assumed that happened instead of reading it and finding out it was just speculation.

My Bad.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2017

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
This is from the funny panels thread:

Good God there is literally a Mary Sue in there.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So does she have cybernetic.. hair? Quills? What the gently caress is going on there?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
just lol if you dont augment your dreadlocks

mine can pick up wifi and update facebook

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cabbit posted:

So does she have cybernetic.. hair? Quills? What the gently caress is going on there?

Ken Penders.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Manny Galan did Julie-su's initial design, not Penders. In fact, Penders has said that he thinks Galan's design for her wasn't close enough to what he personally wanted.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Manny Galan did Julie-su's initial design, not Penders. In fact, Penders has said that he thinks Galan's design for her wasn't close enough to what he personally wanted.

I'm afraid to ask what Penders personally wanted. :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

he claims his Lara-su Chronicles designs are truer to his vision.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CowboyAndy posted:

I'm afraid to ask what Penders personally wanted. :(

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So to understand mecha dreadlocks, first we must understand this basic concept from early Archie/most american sonic things really. Not understanding that quills and poo poo are 'hair' Hence, Sonic's parents are Sonic but with blond or blue tufts of hair, to which my only real response is "Do you think Sonic bald?" but apparently no one asked that question.

With the Echidna's this was taken a step forward, and their bloody dreadlocks were augmented with cybernetics like head tentacles,.

Now you might think this lasted until the introduction of Amy and Tikal, since both those characters have different styled quills and such in comparison to Sonic/Knuckles and thus it's clear that it's their hair.

Wrong. Idiot. They would continue to design hedgehogs and the like who were basically Sonic + Hair of some sort and son on, so forth.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
guys someone installed malware into my cyberdreads and now they're emailing dick pics to everyone on my contact list

please tell me norton makes shampoo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm trying to remember what hedgehogs showed up on the series after Sonic's parents. They were introduced quite a bit before Sonic Adventure did what they did with Amy's design.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm trying to remember what hedgehogs showed up on the series after Sonic's parents. They were introduced quite a bit before Sonic Adventure did what they did with Amy's design.
Only other one of note aside from Silver, Shadow, and Scourge is Rob o' the Hedge (jesus, Penders...)

I don't even know if they've showed anything under that hood. There could be another vestigial cyber-echidna grandpa under there for all I know.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Later artists drew him with just two hedgehog quills behind his head rather than Sonic's rows of three, if I'm remembering correctly

Regardless he was well before SA too

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 20, 2017

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I can't really find that Sonic as Robin Hood thing too ridiculous considering in the games we've had Ali Baba Tails, Sinbad the Sailor Knuckles and Knight of the Round Table Lancelot Shadow.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Paused posted:

I can't really find that Sonic as Robin Hood thing too ridiculous considering in the games we've had Ali Baba Tails, Sinbad the Sailor Knuckles and Knight of the Round Table Lancelot Shadow.

That particular character is kind of goofy because he's not, like, an alternate universe or displaced-timeline medieval version of Sonic or anything, he's just a dude who exists in the present day at the same time as actual Sonic who has no connection to actual Sonic whatsoever and just happens to live in a part of the world that is literally Robin Hood-era Nottingham for some reason.

I'm pretty sure he didn't make it to the new continuity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

That particular character is kind of goofy because he's not, like, an alternate universe or displaced-timeline medieval version of Sonic or anything, he's just a dude who exists in the present day at the same time as actual Sonic who has no connection to actual Sonic whatsoever and just happens to live in a part of the world that is literally Robin Hood-era Nottingham for some reason.

I'm pretty sure he didn't make it to the new continuity.

He was also Amy's cousin somehow.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hey I wonder, if Sonic has parents.

*googles sonic's dad*

Oh hey, there's a page about him on the Archie Comics wiki. I heard those were pretty good, maybe I should learn about them.

That's enough learning for today, I think.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ariong posted:

Hey I wonder, if Sonic has parents.

*googles sonic's dad*

Oh hey, there's a page about him on the Archie Comics wiki. I heard those were pretty good, maybe I should learn about them.

That's enough learning for today, I think.

Don't worry, not only is none of this canon now but Sonic's parents were created by a writer who will sue if anyone uses them

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jules was actually one of the better Archie original characters.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yes, but really only under Flynn's pen. Until then he was just another "hello i am your assigned father" character, since he failed to be either an Echidna or Echinda-adjacent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Penders barely worked on him.

I dunno. I thought he was entertaining enough because he was a paternal figure who was a legitimately nice guy and not an utter dick.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, no, I think Jules was great. It's a real loss that he's gone with the rest now. Just that he only really became great when Ian started working on stuff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just explaining why I always liked him, I guess, even under worse artists.

Compared to Locke and King Max, he was likable from the start, or at the very least, a change of pace from them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm sure these facts are from great comics, it just makes for a bit of whiplash in wiki form. In three minutes I went from "Does Sonic have a dad?" to "Doctor Robotnik is dead?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ariong posted:

I'm sure these facts are from great comics, it just makes for a bit of whiplash in wiki form. In three minutes I went from "Does Sonic have a dad?" to "Doctor Robotnik is dead?"

Yeah, they killed him off for a while then brought him back later as a version of himself from an alternate timeline. It was all needlessly complicated in my opinion and I'm not sure why they even bothered unless they thought that the Endgame arc was going to be the actual end of the comic at the time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Larryb posted:

Yeah, they killed him off for a while then brought him back later as a version of himself from an alternate timeline. It was all needlessly complicated in my opinion and I'm not sure why they even bothered unless they thought that the Endgame arc was going to be the actual end of the comic at the time.

That was indeed the case

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, Endgame was literally assumed to be the end of the comic. Part of Sega agreeing to let him be killed off in it was to bring him back later, but the general assumption was this was the end. Turns out it wasn't, though, and Penders suddenly had to deal with the fallout of everything. As you might imagine, he basically flailed around for a long rear end time. In 75, they brought back Robotnik by having a one-off Robotnik from the humorous/looser beginnings of the comics, who had roboticized himself and possibly turned his Sonic and Co. analogs into cyborgs*, come to "our" reality and kidnap and re-establish control over the Robians** via a satellite base, get defeated on said satellite by the Freedom Fighters, had his body destroyed, and then he downloaded himself*** into a robotic body on the planet proper that was the new Eggman design. Penders was proud of this, and of keeping Robotnik out of the series for 25 issues.

*There were actually two Robo-Robotniks in these issues: One who turned his Freedom Fighters into cyborgs because it was from the looser, comedy focused issues and it made his Sonic a Terminator parody. This one tried to take over the multiverse with a giant robot or something, and was fought off by infinite Sonics from the multiverse.

The second showed up in the first real "serious" story the comic did, around the early 20s, and was subtly implied to be the same Robo-Robotnik, but details didn't line up, his Freedom Fighters were fully flesh and blood (and had defeated him), and he was little more than a sentient AI in a closed system at this point. "Our" Robotnik was shifted into this reality because COMICS, and had a little pep talk with him, before being teleported back to "our" reality.

This is supposedly the Robo-Robotnik who moved to "our" reality after getting back on his feet, killing off his Freedom Fighters, taking over his Mobius again, getting bored, and coming over here to take our Robotnik's place since he was dead and Robo-Robotnik was bored. Comics.

The "simpler" answer to this entire thing of "Robotnik just happened to upload his mind to a computer before his death and was biding his time post-Endgame before returning in a new body" was never used or touched on, because we definitely needed reality hopping in there somewhere.

Also, to make them "easier" to integrate, their backstories were said to be exactly the same as "our" Robotnik until the robo stuff, so they could slot right into the comic as the replacement Robotnik and still have everything else line up.

**Robians are what the roboticized Mobians called themselves post-Endgame. They had their free will restored in the Endgame fallout, but because of modifications and repairs and such to their robotic bodies over the years, they could not be de-roboticized. They essentially became second class citizens, and eventually basically formed their own little village, before Robo-Robotink reactivated control over them and used them as a workforce again. Notable "Robians" included Sonic's Uncle (Chuck), and his parents Jules and Bernie.

Eventually the comics tossed roboticization by the wayside by literally having aliens de-roboticize them all off screen between issues, and protect them from further roboticization in the future, with the explanation that they could do that because ALIENS! These same aliens are responsible for Robo-Robotnik's modern Eggman body being turned flesh and blood because ALIENS!, and had the ability to swap robotic and organic life forms between, well, robotic and organic via beams because ALIENS!

***This is where that panel of Hulk Hogan Eggman comes from, Robo-Robotnik had an entire row of available bodies to download himself to after his physical form was destroyed on the satellite, and he picked Modern Eggman. He also eventually managed to add to this body the ability to roboticize people with a mere touch of his hand, and had tons of backup bodies. After being turned flesh by ALIENS!, he was unable to re-roboticize himself, was stuck in his fleshy body, and lost his roboticizing touch.

It should be noted this whole thing isn't all Penders, Karl Bollers did a lot of this stuff. Regardless of who wrote all of it though, just... look at that mess. This is horrifyingly badly done.

Oh, and at one point Eggman brought the dead Robotnik back for an issue through science, and they teamed up for like ten minutes, before Robotnik evaporated again forever because science.

COMICS!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Penders didn't write the Robo-Robotnik stuff prior to #75. That was Karl Bollers.

All Penders did was claim copyright over that version of the character because he wrote the original stories Bollers capitalized on for that arc. It's less pride and more him being a greedy rear end in a top hat.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Penders didn't write the Robo-Robotnik stuff prior to #75. That was Karl Bollers.

All Penders did was claim copyright over that version of the character because he wrote the original stories Bollers capitalized on for that arc. It's less pride and more him being a greedy rear end in a top hat.

He was, however, very proud of Robotnik being dead for 25 issues. He felt that was an impressive thing to do. Oh, he also wanted to replace Robotnik as the overall big bad with his own, original character, Dr. Droid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kurui Reiten posted:

He was, however, very proud of Robotnik being dead for 25 issues. He felt that was an impressive thing to do. Oh, he also wanted to replace Robotnik as the overall big bad with his own, original character, Dr. Droid.

Penders determination to make "Droid" a thing will never NOT be loving hilarious. He was born on 6/6/6 and they even have a golden Gamma called Issac (who still has E-102 on him) to fellate him and hype him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was Ivan Kintobor, Robotnik's ancestor, not Ian Droid

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

Bollers also wrote 75 itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Also, I could find no mention of Sonic's parents being called Jules the Hedgehog or Bernadette the Hedgehog. They are just Jules and Bernadette Hedgehog. Which means that not only did they give their son the first name "Sonic," they gave him the middle name "the".

• Locked thread