Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Murgos posted:

I thought the Marseillaise was a song from a group rebelling against the revolutionary government?

Anyway when the Imperial Army was attacking their war cry was more like:

*fast march beat, stomping feat at 80 BPM*

(Fast Drum Beat) Ba-Rum-De-Dum-Dum
(Shout in time) Vive l'Emperour!

The accounts of it make it sound quite intimidating.

Ah, the old trousers as the British soldiers used to nickname it. Oddly enough very hard to find in the media trying to cover the Napoleonic Wars, some of the Polish (or Turkish?) reinactors gave it a go with the Sharpe TV series. I got a clip of it right here.

Must of been terrifying with hundreds of dudes doing it.

JcDent posted:

Don't have the time to read any responses I got, just have to post and say that Dendra panoply is stupid as gently caress:

AND NOW I WRITE THIS BATTLES FINAL CHAPTER WITH THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Lol at that one confused swamp mongol

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Lol at that one confused swamp mongol
"heinrich hennig, a finn." squad leader, 1636. the only finn i found. and he is now in the only army that fought two battles of breitenfeld on opposite sides and managed to lose both :iamafag:

Nenonen posted:

What is that speck in Bumfuck, Finland? Frankfurt-am-Siikajoki?
his location isn't specified, so that must be the middle of finland, geometrically

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 22, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm still like a hundred pages back to catch up on, but now that I have a proper Kindle to read poo poo on at work , is there a list of goon-recommended milhist ebooks I can start spending money on instead of model kits? I've already read both WW1 Day By Day books and I need more historical input, dammit :argh:

There's really no one specific area I'm interested in, so any and all recommendations are welcomed. My great-granddad was infantry (no, I have no idea what unit or anything) in WWII, so stuff in that vein has a familial interest.

The kindle versions of Schwerpunkt and Red Steamroller go on sale regularly for something like a dollar.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

My research was on this dude. He was a cabinet minister in the mid-late 19th century in the UK, the head of a prolific Scottish clan, and wrote books about loving everything. Like the full gammut from land reform to theology to 1000 page responses to Darwin. I wrote about the books.

Weird because most of my time at university I was a medieval intellectual historian.

I mostly just read his published materials but that amounts to tens of thousands of pages.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alchenar posted:

5. b) Early in the war the attacking column would be preceded by an enormous swarm of skirmishers (like, regiment sized) as a screening force to protect the column from fire and help fix positions. Later on the decline of infantry standards meant the screen had to be foregone.

What exactly are skirmishers in the Napoleonic era? I know in the days before gunpowder it was mainly just a bunch of dudes throwing poo poo at the enemy and then scurrying away when the enemy tries to engage with them directly, but I thought the whole point of Napoleonic era drill and formations was that it wasn't practical to use gunpowder weapons outside of highly-regulated line formations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I also previously indicated interest in this knowledge.

Also, lol at the Scottish wikipedia editor

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

What exactly are skirmishers in the Napoleonic era? I know in the days before gunpowder it was mainly just a bunch of dudes throwing poo poo at the enemy and then scurrying away when the enemy tries to engage with them directly, but I thought the whole point of Napoleonic era drill and formations was that it wasn't practical to use gunpowder weapons outside of highly-regulated line formations.

Voltigeurs (tr. 'Vaulters') we're originally conceived as more or less parasite infantry meant to ride along on the rear end-end of the cavalry horses (yes, tandem with the actual cav) but that, albeit awesome, did not loving work so they kept the name and just became light, mobile infantry. They'd basically operate in an irregular fashion relative to the main force and do stuff like screen movements and just piss off the other guy's soldiers so they couldn't concentrate their efforts cleanly.

Later on they got Zouaves around the middle of the 19th century, and Zouaves are basically harlem globetrotter infantry and dressed like MC Hammer while running around the battlefield keeping the enemy's eyes anywhere but forward. Even the US had Zouaves during the ACW and yep they rolled with the parachute pants and the piped-up vest and tasseled cap and all. The French version at least drew nominally Arab or North African Zouaves from their colonies but lol not in the US.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Voltigeurs (tr. 'Vaulters') we're originally conceived as more or less parasite infantry meant to ride along on the rear end-end of the cavalry horses (yes, tandem with the actual cav) but that, albeit awesome, did not loving work so they kept the name and just became light, mobile infantry.
that's what you do in the early 17th century if you want to launch a really big foraging raid, put an infantry on the back of each cav's horse and punch into a territory :buddy:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes, but how does light infantry do the irregular stuff, and what is irregular stuff in Napoleonics? How do they help shape the battle when they are deployed in one as opposed to loving aboot raiding?

Meanwhile, people ressurecting the "AK was actually made by Germans" myth because an AK monument mistakenly included plans for STG. The new spin is that even if STG and AK are different, AK was produced by lies and slave labour, and the gun was simplified to match lovely Soviet industry, and Kalashnikov didn't do much more than attach his name to it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

It kind of depends. Mostly your job is to be disruptive or to fight the other guys skirmishers on the battlefield. But some skirmishing is just done by detachments of line infantry, some infantry do both (e.g. Austrian Grenzers) and sometimes they do perform regular infantry duties (I can recall Austrian jaegera holding a ditch against a frontal assault).

I think you just need to examine your initial assumption that you have to fire muskets (or rifles) en masse for them to be useful.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Disinterested posted:

My research was on this dude. He was a cabinet minister in the mid-late 19th century in the UK, the head of a prolific Scottish clan, and wrote books about loving everything. Like the full gammut from land reform to theology to 1000 page responses to Darwin. I wrote about the books.

Weird because most of my time at university I was a medieval intellectual historian.

I mostly just read his published materials but that amounts to tens of thousands of pages.

Interesting. What did this guy have to say to Darwin?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

The new spin is that even if STG and AK are different, AK was produced by lies and slave labour, and the gun was simplified to match lovely Soviet industry, and Kalashnikov didn't do much more than attach his name to it.

Nazis: not at all known for slave labour

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Late 1944 German armaments industry: Not at all known for being poo poo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Ottomans had Akinji and Bashi-Bazouks as irregular skirmishers until the reforms, and even after those I think some units still remained?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Naw, you see, this is a hot take against Russians/Soviets that can only steal, enslave and never produce anything themselves!

*quietly ignores Operation Paperclip and such*

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

feedmegin posted:

Nazis: not at all known for slave labour

Clean Wehrmacht Arms Manufacturers.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Interesting. What did this guy have to say to Darwin?

So he was an amateur biologist with a particular interest in birds, but his primary concerns were twofold: ensuring that evolution by natural selection didn't eliminate space for religion, and ensuring that some commentators on Darwin (not Darwin himself) didn't misuse the theory to claim that non-European races were members of other species (which was a live debate at the time).

He also took some technical interest in Darwin's work because of his birding around, which led to Darwin further developing his theory of sexual selection.

Big time anti-slavery campaigner (his first wife was a Sutherland, a big time anti-slavery family), and by far the most pro-union member of the cabinet during the ACW. Did a lot to ease tensions by permanently talking Sumner off a cliff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Yes, but how does light infantry do the irregular stuff, and what is irregular stuff in Napoleonics? How do they help shape the battle when they are deployed in one as opposed to loving aboot raiding?

Meanwhile, people ressurecting the "AK was actually made by Germans" myth because an AK monument mistakenly included plans for STG. The new spin is that even if STG and AK are different, AK was produced by lies and slave labour, and the gun was simplified to match lovely Soviet industry, and Kalashnikov didn't do much more than attach his name to it.

I'm following the drama as it develops. The latest retort from the sculptor is a) who even is this Pasholok, I bet he's not real b) he should have told us in the first place.

Meanwhile the schematic was scrubbed from the monument.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JcDent posted:

Naw, you see, this is a hot take against Russians/Soviets that can only steal, enslave and never produce anything themselves!

*quietly ignores Operation Paperclip and such*

It's a well known fact that our captured Nazi scientists were better than their captured Nazi scientists :colbert:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm following the drama as it develops. The latest retort from the sculptor is a) who even is this Pasholok, I bet he's not real b) he should have told us in the first place.

Meanwhile the schematic was scrubbed from the monument.

So wait, the guy was pointing to a recent sculpture as proof? How? What? I don't get it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disinterested posted:

It kind of depends. Mostly your job is to be disruptive or to fight the other guys skirmishers on the battlefield. But some skirmishing is just done by detachments of line infantry, some infantry do both (e.g. Austrian Grenzers) and sometimes they do perform regular infantry duties (I can recall Austrian jaegera holding a ditch against a frontal assault).

I think you just need to examine your initial assumption that you have to fire muskets (or rifles) en masse for them to be useful.

They'd even mix in sharpshooters so they could bag officers and drummers.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

They'd even mix in sharpshooters so they could bag officers and drummers.

Were bassists considered off limits or something

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Murgos posted:

So wait, the guy was pointing to a recent sculpture as proof? How? What? I don't get it.

The sculpture of Kalashnikov was built recently. According to proud tradition of the Russian Military Historical Society, instead of having proper consultants, they googled "AK exploded diagram" and put in the first image into the background of the pedestal. The diagram was of the Stg.44. Pasholok found out and pointed it out, and it blew up into a huge thing. Nobody is considering this proof of the AK being a copy of the Stg.44, but the topic periodically resurfaces, and this is as good a reason as any.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
SU-76 precursors

Queue: ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Medium Tank M3, Tankbuchse 41, s.FH. 18, PzVII Lowe, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks
T-70B

:britain:
25-pounder
PIAT
Lee and Grant tanks in British service NEW

:911:
105 mm howitzer M2A1

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
PzII Ausf. J
VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun

:france:
SAu 40 and other medium SPGs NEW

:sweden:
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ensign Expendable posted:

The sculpture of Kalashnikov was built recently. According to proud tradition of the Russian Military Historical Society, instead of having proper consultants, they googled "AK exploded diagram" and put in the first image into the background of the pedestal. The diagram was of the Stg.44. Pasholok found out and pointed it out, and it blew up into a huge thing. Nobody is considering this proof of the AK being a copy of the Stg.44, but the topic periodically resurfaces, and this is as good a reason as any.

Reminds me of when the Democrats or Republicans used an image of Chinese destroyers as emblematic of US naval power.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't go after the regimental band, the majors have terrifying mace batons and will brain you.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

there are several people from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth but none from what is now Lithuania. A bunch of Livonians. Here is a zoom-out of my first map. I ended up not using it because at this resolution, Germany is just a blob.

See the Baltic cities? :3:

Did the people from the non-Germanic areas know some variety of German going in, or would they just pick up what they needed to know along the way?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Disinterested posted:

Yeah, keep in mind the formations were there to maintain control of troops and keep them together to assault/repel assaults. They didn't have radios and had a lot less trust that men wouldn't just disappear back then, so command required men to stay formed. In reality, firing drills were more to make men shoot faster and not have them shoot at things way outside their range(though they did this anyway quite often).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JcDent posted:

Simplifying weapon manufacture: a bad thing.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

"The most complicated solution is the best"-Occam's hosed up German brother.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

Did the people from the non-Germanic areas know some variety of German going in, or would they just pick up what they needed to know along the way?
Most of the areas here that today do not speak German would have spoken german then. The Baltic coastal cities, Silesia. Many of the areas in Bohemia that these guys come from are German speaking, like Prague and Znaim. Everyone else? Probably would've picked it up.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
meme incoming

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

HEY GAIL posted:

there are several people from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth but none from what is now Lithuania. A bunch of Livonians. Here is a zoom-out of my first map. I ended up not using it because at this resolution, Germany is just a blob.

See the Baltic cities? :3:

1. That's cool, you can kind of make out the Ottoman borderlands from the heat map.

2. Why do random Scots show up in every European war?

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 23, 2017

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ghetto Prince posted:

Much like soccer hooligans or orks, they're always up for a good fight.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

1. That's cool, you can kind of make out the Ottoman borderlands from the heat map.

There were lots of small Scottish crises in this period over the usual issues of religion, who gets to be monarch, and parliamentary power. These issues alongside the usual petty crime and feuds between lairds keep a steady stream of exiles flowing out of the country, with not much else to do.

I've also heard it mentioned the various wars in Ireland saw the development of a somewhat professional Gaelic military class among the Scottish clans of the western islands and Argyllshire, who would seasonally cross the Irish sea to work in the employ of the Crown. Joining a continental mercenary outfit would be be a natural career transition.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My family is Latvian, and it looks like there's one sad, drunk, potato-eating rear end in a top hat in HEY GAIL's map. :cool:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wallenstein's killer was a Scot mercenary as well!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Plutonis posted:

Wallenstein's killer was a Scot mercenary as well!
Two scots, and two irishmen. An Irish was the triggerman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FAUXTON posted:

Voltigeurs (tr. 'Vaulters') we're originally conceived as more or less parasite infantry meant to ride along on the rear end-end of the cavalry horses (yes, tandem with the actual cav) but that, albeit awesome, did not loving work so they kept the name and just became light, mobile infantry. They'd basically operate in an irregular fashion relative to the main force and do stuff like screen movements and just piss off the other guy's soldiers so they couldn't concentrate their efforts cleanly.

So basically lovely bargain bin dragoons.