Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Party Plane Jones posted:

"Morning! How's it feel to be strapped into a walking 'nuke reactor at 6 AM. Bet you're sorry you didn't study harder in school."

Then again, your career turns out pretty well in M2Mercs. Most people in the sphere won't even have a c-bill in their lifetime, even the people who live on planets that don't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Maybe not a c-bill specifically but they will have it's equivalent many times over.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And they'd have more than a C-Bill's worth of assets for sure.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
A c-bill is like $5 USD circa 1985.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
A better comparison is that C-bills are more like the Solidus of the dominate era Roman empire and the various House currencies are like the denarius of various eras, either relatively valuable or inflated garbage depending on the economy of the time, relative to the absolute stability of the c-bill.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

A better comparison is that C-bills are more like the Solidus of the dominate era Roman empire and the various House currencies are like the denarius of various eras,

ah, finally a comparison that relates to my life experiences

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

C-Bills are the Dollar and other currency is like every form of buttcoin competing against themselves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Prav posted:

ah, finally a comparison that relates to my life experiences

I wracked my brain to come up with the nerdiest real-world comparison I could manage.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

A.o.D. posted:

A better comparison is that C-bills are more like the Solidus of the dominate era Roman empire and the various House currencies are like the denarius of various eras, either relatively valuable or inflated garbage depending on the economy of the time, relative to the absolute stability of the c-bill.

That "absolute stability" gets thrown in the garbage post-3132 though. So much for that. :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
So have they said when this is actually coming out or what? Cause I refuse to pony up more money for the beta.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Strobe posted:

That "absolute stability" gets thrown in the garbage post-3132 though. So much for that. :v:

There's a Byzantine analogy for that too!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Party Plane Jones posted:

So have they said when this is actually coming out or what? Cause I refuse to pony up more money for the beta.

Early next year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

D:OS2 turn-based goodness has me even more psyched for the full campaign. I know there's some true grogs here who I cannot hope to compete with, but I am going to play the gently caress out of this game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Internet Explorer posted:

D:OS2 turn-based goodness
Who the what now?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Who the what now?

Divinity : Original Sin 2

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's pretty goddamn great, you should check it out. No need to have played the first, but DOS1 is pretty loving great too. If you like squad-based overhead turn based tactical games (and I assume you do because you're in this thread) then the Divinity Original Sin games are very worth checking out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Skoll posted:

Ah, thanks.

aniviron posted:

It's pretty goddamn great, you should check it out. No need to have played the first, but DOS1 is pretty loving great too. If you like squad-based overhead turn based tactical games (and I assume you do because you're in this thread) then the Divinity Original Sin games are very worth checking out.
But is it an essentially reskinned Xcom?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It's better than XCOM, imo. It's an actual turn based RPG that's co op.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

All games are reskinned XCOM, weren't you paying attention?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skoll posted:

It's better than XCOM, imo. It's an actual turn based RPG that's co op.

So it's XCOM 2

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psycho Landlord posted:

All games are reskinned XCOM, weren't you paying attention?
:suicide:

Taerkar posted:

So it's XCOM 2
This guy gets it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Get This: D:OS2 is the opposite of Xcom 2 because it doesn't have any dumb poo poo like turn timers and just lets you play.

Like I know the gag is "comparing stuff to Xcom 2" but D:OS is the polar opposite of Xcom 2 design ideas, a combat system that lets you play instead of limiting your choices with deterministic poo poo, it's a Good Game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Divinity series just feels so "generically fantasy" that it winds up leaving me cold every time I try to take a look at it.

Except Dragon Commander.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Get This: D:OS2 is the opposite of Xcom 2 because it doesn't have any dumb poo poo like turn timers and just lets you play.

Like I know the gag is "comparing stuff to Xcom 2" but D:OS is the polar opposite of Xcom 2 design ideas, a combat system that lets you play instead of limiting your choices with deterministic poo poo, it's a Good Game

You could do what I did and just turn the turn timer off before you play. The game was designed from the ground up to be modded so you can play how you want.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Skoll posted:

You could do what I did and just turn the turn timer off before you play. The game was designed from the ground up to be modded so you can play how you want.

It's a long discussion and I was just clarifying for folks that whatever jokes they may be going for relating to past Xcom comparisons, D:OS2 is a great game with awesome, open tactical combat and wonderful flexibility, anyone that likes tactical combat should check it out and see if it interests them, imo

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
This AI mod from the forums is really great that got linked earlier is really great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It does a lot of amazing stuff, but DOS2 also is built with the mentality to ENCOURAGE save scumming so you can rig the fight to your advantage harder :v:

But if you are ready for where "Think outside the box" means "Before the fight be sure to pre-place explosive barrels everywhere" and other DnD metagame vs NPCs metagaming, then you will see and do some AMAZING poo poo.

Like using the "Glass cannon" trait to create a horrible voodoo doll of an aggro magnet tank, because the AI knows he's 100% always vulnerable to status effects and thus is contractually obligated to unload 90% of their abilities on him rather than the rest of your party because he's the easiest target. Then ironically not caring if he gets mind controlled because you made sure your "Glass cannon" trait guy's damage is poo poo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 29, 2017

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That sounds awful

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rygar201 posted:

That sounds awful

Nahh. It's fun as hell playing a game that's right there with you having a good time as you come up with a good way to take advantage of the tools it gives you rather than trying to gently caress you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Skoll posted:

It sounds pretty cool, but from looking at the steam page the visual design is oversaturated color vomit and it's recommended by Ham Sandwiches, heir to the throne of Oswald Owenstein.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

That sounds awful

If you buy into the PR spin style claims that "Nah man, you just need to think outside the box and use the tools you have at your disposal! It's so natural and gives you OPTIONS" you are either lying to yourself, or going to be disappointed with the game.

But if you are perfectly willing to be honest, and admit that it's a duel of munchkin bullshit vs munchkin bullshit, the game. Then you will get a TON of mileage out of it, so long as that's what you are signing up for.

Otherwise, you will just find yourself being chided for not using all the tools at your disposal because you didn't murderhobo as much of the starting zone as possible. It's NOT a bad game, it's pretty cool when things go well in thinking inside the box disguised as outside the box.

It's just that this is the internet, so any enjoyment of the game has to be phrased as if it's perfect, or it means you actually hate the game :v:

You play it to make an undead warrior dual wielding fire and poison wands as melee weapons to cause constant gas explosions that heal your undead face in the process :rock: (While the AI would rather let their allies die in favor of trying to use "Heal harms undead" on you instead) Because playing most classes as presented is gonna suck. Like how putting a shield on your tank means enemies will do their damndest to ignore them, but putting it on a wizard means getting attacked less often AND a sweet captain america toss for when they need physical damage. Etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 29, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Voyager I posted:

It sounds pretty cool, but from looking at the steam page the visual design is oversaturated color vomit and it's recommended by Ham Sandwiches, heir to the throne of Oswald Owenstein.

the scoop is "it has the tactical combat elements I enjoy, which is the opposite of the game it's being compared to" since it was being compared to Xcom 2 at the time

Like, it's literally the opposite - it's an open game and a toolbox full of stuff you can do to have fun and break it and enjoy it, not one of these super tight modern designs that let you do what the designer wanted and that's it

Section Z is being pretty realistic about it, just a question of if that's your style

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Oh, you just have garbage opinions and taste.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

Oh, you just have garbage opinions and taste.
Well it is true my taste can't decide if I love it or hate it :downs: I keep binging then burning out on these things.

All the crazy options ARE amazing as gently caress. But it can get very tiring when that is the expectation. I can only imagine how that feels to the latest poor sap get dogpiled asking "How I knight like a knight without being turbo murdered?" about how they are not appreciating the game's myriad totally intuitive options enough.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Just ignore him.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

This AI mod from the forums is really great that got linked earlier is really great.

Thanks! Can you let me know what it is doing right and wrong? I'm trying to gather feedback that is not my own play-style for v3. My main goal in v3 is taking on the Fury variables, as I haven't even tried to touch those yet.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's just doing decent reserving at the start, and much better about when to take shots and when to cool down. It also has good target focus.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

It also has good target focus.

There is one variable that is literally "Always shoot at prime target even if fired upon by others? Y/N" that is defaulted to False. This and a few others keep them drilling to a single target. However, it might be easier to kite them out like in beta 1.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Which makes them a lot like people - the big question of "when is focus fire not worth doing anymore" is something that human players try to solve all the time too. Don't stop focus firing unless you literally can't help it seems like a good baseline to start from in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Which makes them a lot like people - the big question of "when is focus fire not worth doing anymore" is something that human players try to solve all the time too. Don't stop focus firing unless you literally can't help it seems like a good baseline to start from in practice.

Yes, I'm finding a lot of my initial edits were very reactionary and maybe too far on some variables. I just wanted to know if the setting even worked in a single test match. One of the posters on the HBS thread found a nice combo where the player has all Tac8 pilots and the AI has all Tac4 or less, no Sensor Lock and an Urbie. They just can't escape the crystal fields and establish their short LoS thanks to my edits. They like being overly protective when they don't have LoS and the No-Mans-Land between the crystals and trees is too far for them as I limited the range at which they feel safe to sprint near player units. The Urbie becomes a slow anchor they won't stray too far from and it gets them killed. I got to release the reigns a bit without them returning to marching single file to their doom.

I could re-enable the beta 1 dynamic role based adjustments and that could solve this problem, but that is way too much effort. It would let me do things like "Hey, this is an Urbie - Stay really far away, only get LoS to one unit, feel free to wander about and only take shots 65% or greater" and "This is a KTO, rush in and gently caress poo poo up, value Instability to the max and don't overheat." but it would require a file per variant and a bunch of editing.