Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hadlock posted:

We gave out Chromebook pixels at work to all our marketing and sales people because we couldn't trust them to not install malware.

This is pretty funny, and they probably are happier as well. I had a client a few years ago where sales started leaving their laptops at home and just bringing ipads to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Yeah expect the new intel chips to start trickling in to the high end and mid-high models just before Christmas, more likely early-mid January, if the XPS 13/15 and T460 rollout in Jan 17 was any indicator.

Factoring in shipping time you're looking at 4 months or 1/3rd of a year, if you want to wait that long.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the response. I'm comfortable with using my current laptop for another few months so that's what I'm going to do.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Will the new chip improve the igpu performance in the xps13 at all?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Will the new chip improve the igpu performance in the xps13 at all?

The new CPUs - which are Kaby Lake-R and I mis-stated as being Coffee Lake - have basically the same iGPUs as the original Kaby Lake line; they're called "Intel UHD Graphics" instead and just clock a little higher than their immediate predecessors. So technically a slight bump in performance, but nothing substantial.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Woot has the Samsung Chromebook Plus again, which I'll reiterate is very nice, and it strongly reminds me of the original Asus Flip but larger with a stylus. They also have all of the QHD+ HP CB 13 models.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
I'm trying to decide between an Acer e 15 linked a few pages back and the Lenovo T470. I want a solid laptop to take me through gradschool, but I would also use it for games if possible. I've never owned a business laptop, so I am not sold on the notion of the higher quality materials of the T470 being worth the price difference, no graphics card, and no number pad.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

I'm trying to decide between an Acer e 15 linked a few pages back and the Lenovo T470. I want a solid laptop to take me through gradschool, but I would also use it for games if possible. I've never owned a business laptop, so I am not sold on the notion of the higher quality materials of the T470 being worth the price difference, no graphics card, and no number pad.

The Thinkpad is nicer, but like twice as expensive (or more) unless you get a refurb or fat discount; the cheapest new T470 I see is ~$840 (pre-discount) with the FHD non-touch display. Note that this model is still available with a terrible HD display, so you'd have to avoid that when buying new or used/refurb'd. Beyond that, gaming performance is pretty much going to be identical (i.e. not great) as they have similar CPUs available and the same iGPU.

I don't think the Thinkpad is worth double the price of the E 15, even if the former is more durable (not that the Acer is "fragile", it's just a typical plastic-chassis laptop) because while I'm sure the Lenovo will last you through school, even if the Acer also didn't you could still buy a 2nd as a replacement for a broken one and you'd break even.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I own a high spec new T470. It's a business laptop. If I was going to grad school and wanted to play games on my laptop, I don't think I would even be considering a laptop like this. For my purposes though, it's real nice.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Atomizer posted:

The Thinkpad is nicer, but like twice as expensive (or more) unless you get a refurb or fat discount; the cheapest new T470 I see is ~$840 (pre-discount) with the FHD non-touch display. Note that this model is still available with a terrible HD display, so you'd have to avoid that when buying new or used/refurb'd. Beyond that, gaming performance is pretty much going to be identical (i.e. not great) as they have similar CPUs available and the same iGPU.

If you use the B&N link in the OP, a T470 starts off at $655. It's $70 for the better screen and adding ~ $130 for 4GB of RAM and a SSD gets you to $855

So $850 will get you a good T470, but yeah, it's still more expensive than the Acer, but not 2 for 1 more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When you buy that third Acer you could still be using the T470...

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

The games are more, "would be nice," than necessary. Ignoring games, if the Thinkpad T470 would be that much more long lasting, it may be worth it. I just rely on a numpad heavily. Is the best solution to get a USB numpad or get good at top row?

Going back to games, the Acer E 15 on that Amazon link has a GeForce 940 or something similar, so I assumed that would give it the edge in gaming. For all I know it makes the laptop a hot mess though.

SmellOfPetroleum fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 22, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

When you buy that third Acer you could still be using the T470...

Yeah basically this. Swapped in a new screen ($55 shipped) on my 2012 era X230, about to hop on a plane to SE Asia during peak monsoon season for a couple of months. When I get back home it'll have been to more than 40 countries in the last 5.5 years. If I run in to any problems replacement parts are still available from the manufacturer in all those countries.

Saving $100 on something you use daily for 3+ years doesn't make a whole lot of sense of it's going to irreparably fail on you after just two. Generally the extra money for a business class laptop is well worth it.

When I get back to the States it'll probably be time to get a new battery for it, which is fine, I've been milking the last battery from 2015 and they're only rated for 400 cycles.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
A 940 mx will give a laptop an edge over the igpu, but just barely. It can be helpful in Photoshop and Premiere and stuff if you get the 2gb model, but it's of dubious value for actual gaming, especially considering it's another 20w or so of power draw. I guess if you really want to run overwatch at 720p at the lowest detail, it's worth it.

The build quality between a T470 and an Acer e15 is like comparing a ford F150 and a Fiesta. Neither of them are particularly fast or good looking, but you can ram the pickup into a wall at full speed, get out, fix it with a coat hanger and keep going. Not so much the Fiesta.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
MX150 equipped models are started to trickle into the market too and that's good for some 30% over the 940mx at the same wattage.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've had a T440p for the past 3.5 to 4 years of grad school with no graphics card beyond the Intel graphics for a i7 4700MQ chip and gaming on it has been fine. You won't be able to play anything super new like DooM but I was able to play Fallout New Vegas on medium settings.

I definitely recommend a sturdy laptop for grad school because any grad school use case I can imagine involves taking the thing absolutely everywhere.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 22, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ah gently caress the retro Thinkpad will only have a 940mx.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
The argument is too strong for the T470, I just put the order in through the Lenovo website. It's going to miss the first week of class, but the Amazon reseller options were either unsatisfactory builds or too expensive.

Thanks all for your use testimonials / analogies. I know most of this was in the OP but it's nice to have up to date affirmation.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
No prob, welcome to the weird cult of thinkpad owners. I think we mentioned this, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE you got the 1080p IPS panel because I think they still sell those things with the old HD TN panel and nobody should ever have to look at that thing. Also consider getting a 6 cell battery. It'll add around half a pound but it'll give you, and i'm not making this up, 17 hours of battery. Comes in handy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

I know most of this was in the OP but it's nice to have up to date affirmation.

The OP says it was updated less than a week ago

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No prob, welcome to the weird cult of thinkpad owners. I think we mentioned this, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE you got the 1080p IPS panel because I think they still sell those things with the old HD TN panel and nobody should ever have to look at that thing. Also consider getting a 6 cell battery. It'll add around half a pound but it'll give you, and i'm not making this up, 17 hours of battery. Comes in handy.

Correct, they shamefully still have 1366x768p TN screens on some models. Stick with 1080p IPS at the very least. The build options are at least somewhat clear for screen selection.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was on the Thinkpad subreddit I suggested that Lenovo even offering 1366x768 as an option on any of the Thinkpads devalues the brand and a bunch of people downvoted me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The E and L series devalue the brand

Probably the A series

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

When I was on the Thinkpad subreddit I suggested that Lenovo even offering 1366x768 as an option on any of the Thinkpads devalues the brand and a bunch of people downvoted me.

yea x768 sucks poo poo but you're still wrong so :shrug:

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013

Hadlock posted:

The OP says it was updated less than a week ago

"Up to date" was poor wording on my part. I just don't blindly trust OP's in threads I'm new to. Useful information should still be verified.

Also estimated arrival October 16. Never mind one week of class without it, are they lovingly hand crafting every component?

I'm phone posting, so not going to reference exact specs, but I made sure to get the IPS screen, bigger battery, and ssd as per the advice in the thread.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

It totally, one hundred percent devalues the brand and there's no good reason for it either. The only reason that configuration even exists is so some beancounter piece of poo poo can save a couple hundred bucks on a big order by giving everybody in the company a loving migraine. If people hate using their work computers they don't think "i'm going to murder harold in accounting" they think "wow thinkpads give me a loving migraine I'm never buying a lenovo computer as long as I live."

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It totally, one hundred percent devalues the brand and there's no good reason for it either. The only reason that configuration even exists is so some beancounter piece of poo poo can save a couple hundred bucks on a big order by giving everybody in the company a loving migraine. If people hate using their work computers they don't think "i'm going to murder harold in accounting" they think "wow thinkpads give me a loving migraine I'm never buying a lenovo computer as long as I live."

and yet

quote:

some beancounter piece of poo poo
is the guy that lenovo is courting

not

quote:

wow thinkpads give me a loving migraine

:shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm all for including poo poo displays in the Lenovo brand computers but Thinkpad needs to stand for something. It used to mean putting in innovative features like the little keyboard light above the display decades before the invention of the backlit keyboard. The least they could do is not allow configurations that are total poo poo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

and yet
is the guy that lenovo is courting
not

:shrug:

And that's shortsighted as hell and devalues the brand. Lenovo has such a gigantic legacy install base they can do basically whatever they want as long as they don't change the docking or charging ports on their fleet models. I don't mind having a 768 option for legacy apps that don't scale for poo poo but at this point the IPS panel costs nearly the same as the TN. There's no business application that requires TN, so there's no reason to continue putting displays that looked like poo poo in 2004 when they were made in a 2017 computer.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

And that's shortsighted as hell and devalues the brand. Lenovo has such a gigantic legacy install base they can do basically whatever they want as long as they don't change the docking or charging ports on their fleet models. I don't mind having a 768 option for legacy apps that don't scale for poo poo but at this point the IPS panel costs nearly the same as the TN. There's no business application that requires TN, so there's no reason to continue putting displays that looked like poo poo in 2004 when they were made in a 2017 computer.

it devalues the brand that has significantly increased marketshare every year for at least 5+ years? by offering the most common option in their market?

consider this a downvote i guess

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thinkpads were a premium brand of premium hardware and now they are cheap mass consumer brand. That's devaluing the brand.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what % of the market share of the OP do lenovo models take up

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

it devalues the brand that has significantly increased marketshare every year for at least 5+ years? by offering the most common option in their market?

consider this a downvote i guess

I don't get your argument. You seem to be saying that as long as Lenovo's market share is increasing, they should do absolutely nothing to change any of their computers. But I must be misunderstanding your point because that's breathtakingly dumb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never read the OP

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't get your argument. You seem to be saying that as long as Lenovo's market share is increasing, they should do absolutely nothing to change any of their computers. But I must be misunderstanding your point because that's breathtakingly dumb.

if i am gaining market share hand over fist it would be difficult to say that my product is losing value, if the primary purchasers of my product purchase it because i'm offering that option at that price point

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

if i am gaining market share hand over fist it would be difficult to say that my product is losing value, if the primary purchasers of my product purchase it because i'm offering that option at that price point

Wow. Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, I guess.

Let me ask another way. Should computer manufacturers wait until they are actively losing market share to upgrade or innovate their computers?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's more than likely the reason why 768 panels are used are because most users of business laptops will be using a docking station where it doesn't really matter. From the Dell Latitudes and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads I've serviced at my first IT job it was pretty much the case.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wow. Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, I guess.

Let me ask another way. Should computer manufacturers wait until they are actively losing market share to upgrade or innovate their computers?

are you asking me if they should remove the most popular option from their lineup

no, they shouldn't

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's more than likely the reason why 768 panels are used are because most users of business laptops will be using a docking station where it doesn't really matter. From the Dell Latitudes and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads I've serviced at my first IT job it was pretty much the case.

docking stations, projectors, im sure the list goes on

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

are you asking me if they should remove the most popular option from their lineup

Yes, I saw that graph the first time you posted it. I agree that the majority of computers that people own have lovely displays. It has nothing to do with sales figures so I'm not sure why you keep using it.