Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could email Brandon and ask for a copy of white sand. Emperor's soul also doesn't spoil anything for Elantris, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Avalerion posted:

Could email Brandon and ask for a copy of white sand. Emperor's soul also doesn't spoil anything for Elantris, I think.

You can also email him for aether of night, which has been removed from cannon and gutted for parts, but is still an interesting example of early sanderson

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Midnight- posted:

I'm making my way through pretty much everything cosmere before Oathbringer comes out. So far I've read both Stormlight books, Mistborn Era1, Era2 and secret history, as well as Warbreaker.

Where do I go next? Ive got arcanum unbounded to read Edgedancer, but do I read Elantris first? Is there anything else I've missed?

You should definitely get Arcanum Unbounded, because it contains Emperor's Soul, Brandon's best book. It's set on the same world as Elantris, but you can read these two books in any order. Except that going from his best to his worst book may suck a bit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Midnight- posted:

I'm making my way through pretty much everything cosmere before Oathbringer comes out. So far I've read both Stormlight books, Mistborn Era1, Era2 and secret history, as well as Warbreaker.

Where do I go next? Ive got arcanum unbounded to read Edgedancer, but do I read Elantris first? Is there anything else I've missed?

Read through Arcanum Unbounded next.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Torrannor posted:

You should definitely get Arcanum Unbounded, because it contains Emperor's Soul, Brandon's best book. It's set on the same world as Elantris, but you can read these two books in any order. Except that going from his best to his worst book may suck a bit.

There actually is a bunch of Elantris spoilers in arcanum when they tell the story about the kids in Elantris so skip over that.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Edgedancer worth my time or should I wait on my weekly dose of Oathbringer like the pathetic junkie I am?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Edgedancer worth my time or should I wait on my weekly dose of Oathbringer like the pathetic junkie I am?

It's not bad. If you liked lift definitely get it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It fills in some gaps between the books it is worth a read.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

It's not bad. If you liked lift definitely get it.

Even if you didn't, it's worth a read.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Next chapters are up. Well, RIP my voidbringer theory. And I had a feeling Adolin would get saddled with investigating himself. Didn't see the copycat coming though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jorenko posted:

Next chapters are up. Well, RIP my voidbringer theory. And I had a feeling Adolin would get saddled with investigating himself. Didn't see the copycat coming though.

Link?

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
https://www.tor.com/2017/09/12/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-7-9/

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Jorenko posted:

Oh dear the copycat murder mystery sounds fun. There's a lot of magical or non-magical ways it could go too. Sadeas' widow seems like a good candidate as she seemed down with a lot of shady stuff before, and might do the copycat just to observe who acts crazy and guilt ridden as a result. Poor Adolin is going to driven completely nuts though wondering if he's doing it in his sleep :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Oh dear the copycat murder mystery sounds fun. There's a lot of magical or non-magical ways it could go too. Sadeas' widow seems like a good candidate as she seemed down with a lot of shady stuff before, and might do the copycat just to observe who acts crazy and guilt ridden as a result. Poor Adolin is going to driven completely nuts though wondering if he's doing it in his sleep :(

Adolin's eventually going to have a Tell-Tale Heart moment due to investigating the murders. The dumb thing is he could've probably been fine(ish) if he'd immediately told Dalinar what he did and why.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

At least Adolin can fairly safely eliminate any suspects that weren't in the original party that discovered the body/ those important enough to be brought to the scene.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It isn't too late to fess up quietly.

Beats having some potentially hostile skybreaker figure it out.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The Kaladin bits went as well as I could have hoped for, so glad. :)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

It isn't too late to fess up quietly.

Beats having some potentially hostile skybreaker figure it out.

confessing his crime and investigating the copycat is how Adolin becomes a skybreaker :ssh:

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

https://www.tor.com/2017/09/19/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-10-12/

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Brutal

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Brandon's trying his hardest to inspire the sexy fanart tumblr brigade there, isn't he?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow!

Where has he gotten a Radiant with sprenblade from?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

We're gonna get some Jerry Springer drama going on in Dalinar's past. It'd be a waste of magic amnesia otherwise. My prediction from the spoiler chapters so far:

I'm starting to think Elhokar might be Dalinars biological son. Dalinar is clearly still in love with Navani in the flashbacks, he also has a habit of getting blackout drunk. The flashback we just read is set after Jasnah is born, but before Elkohar. Stormfather makes a challenge to Navani about keeping her previous oaths. It ties in tragically well to how much Elkohar longs for Dalinars ungiven approval too. It's not perfect, but I think it's plausible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is it just me or does Sadeas seem like he's trying to get dalinar killed even in the flashbacks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

Wow!

Huh?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

We're gonna get some Jerry Springer drama going on in Dalinar's past. It'd be a waste of magic amnesia otherwise. My prediction from the spoiler chapters so far:

I'm starting to think Elhokar might be Dalinars biological son. Dalinar is clearly still in love with Navani in the flashbacks, he also has a habit of getting blackout drunk. The flashback we just read is set after Jasnah is born, but before Elkohar. Stormfather makes a challenge to Navani about keeping her previous oaths. It ties in tragically well to how much Elkohar longs for Dalinars ungiven approval too. It's not perfect, but I think it's plausible.

As much as I hope this isn't the case, if Elkohar is his son and knows then it'll likely be one of the secrets he acknowledges when he finally starts interacting with his spren that's been following him around all this time. However if he is I don't think he knows simply because Elkohar isn't that competent and Navani sure as hell isn't dumb enough to tell him. He'd have blurted it out in the past during one of his bouts of hysteria or some other horrible moment if so because he's so mentally fragile.

Dalinar was never not in love with Navani. The prior books make it clear they were in love when they were younger so having it come up in the flashbacks isn't a surprise.

Tunicate posted:

Is it just me or does Sadeas seem like he's trying to get dalinar killed even in the flashbacks

Absolutely. It seems like a situation of "well if Dalinar and I are on the same side for all this, great, but he's ultimately going to get in my way so why not encourage his recklessness.

I'm guessing it's in reference to Taravangian saying he'd come through the oathgates, since that means he has access to someone far enough along to have summoned their blade. Given how hard Taravangian was working to prevent the radiants from reforming in order to try and keep the Desolation from happening who knows. Considering that Taravangian's "smartest days" are basically him being a mad scientist who knows what he's managed to gather to himself in the short time since the Everstorm.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Syl, the granary --"

"KALADIN YOU GOON, DO YOU NOT LIKE GETTING LAID? "

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

"Syl, the granary --"

I love her

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

"Syl, the granary --"

As someone on another board mentioned, this is the true reason behind The Recreance Radiants finally had enough of their creepy voyeur spren. Soon Kaladin won't even be able to take a poo poo without Syl quipping about his wiping technique.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Wow!

My guess is this will end up being Jasnah in disguise.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Reading the preview chapters and is it only me who sees this?

“Well,” Navani said. “The only one missing is your spren, Dalinar. If he’s going to—”

A strong breeze struck the top of the tower, carrying with it the scent of recent rainfall, of wet stone and broken branches. Navani gasped, pulling against Dalinar.

A presence emerged in the sky. The Stormfather encompassed everything, a face that stretched to both horizons, regarding the men imperiously. The air became strangely still, and everything but the tower’s top seemed to fade. It was as if they had slipped into a place outside of time itself.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The thing that really jumped out at me is that Navani's a man, baby!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This...is inescapably now my internal visualization of [that]

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

And here I was getting a Lion King vibe, complete with James Earl Jones voice.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hello Sanderson thread. I used to keep up with all things Sanderson, but for whatever reason I quit reading after Stormlight book 2. I see that book 3 is coming out soon and I’ve got a nice hardcover on preorder to go with my other two. (Love all the drawings and artwork that show up in those books, it’s just not the same with an ebook.). I see he’s written a ton of shorter stuff in past few years and I wanted to ask if any of it is “must read” before book three comes out. I think the last short story of his I read was Emporer’s Soul which loving owned.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Emperor's S---oh, okay, good.

Sixth of Dusk is good, short, and free. It is also another look at how the Cosmere and investiture work.

At the very least, go read the whole form of the letters provided in chapter heading snippets. They make much more sense unbroken.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 25, 2017

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Hello Sanderson thread. I used to keep up with all things Sanderson, but for whatever reason I quit reading after Stormlight book 2. I see that book 3 is coming out soon and I’ve got a nice hardcover on preorder to go with my other two. (Love all the drawings and artwork that show up in those books, it’s just not the same with an ebook.). I see he’s written a ton of shorter stuff in past few years and I wanted to ask if any of it is “must read” before book three comes out. I think the last short story of his I read was Emporer’s Soul which loving owned.

Edgedancer is set between books 2 & 3. Unless Lift drove you crazy in the interludes, you should read it.

If you haven't read Warbreaker (it's free on Sanderson's website), it has a nice tie-in to book 2. More like an Easter egg so far, but I'll bet it's a bigger deal in 3.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

enigma105 posted:

Edgedancer is set between books 2 & 3. Unless Lift drove you crazy in the interludes, you should read it.

If you haven't read Warbreaker (it's free on Sanderson's website), it has a nice tie-in to book 2. More like an Easter egg so far, but I'll bet it's a bigger deal in 3.

Oh sweet, I loved the Lift section, definitely gonna check that out. I’ve read everything Sanderson that he wrote up to Stormlight book 2.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Potato Salad posted:

I always imagined the eyes and mouth of the Master Control Program face from Tron set in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are some chapters from Way of Kings Prime posted on brandonsanderson.com every week.

Mostly it's kaladin whining about how he never should have been given a shardblade, which shows a remarkable amount of awareness on his part of the poor plotting.