Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Thread title credit to Sir Lemming

Twelve years ago, Star Trek: Enterprise aired its finale and ended 18 years of continuous Star Trek television. It's been a long road, getting from there to here, but Star Trek returns to broadcast television this Sunday, September 24th... and then leaves again to be a CBS All Access/Netflix exclusive. :sigh:

What is Star Trek: Discovery?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7IMj7WFyE
Discovery is set in 2256, ten years prior to Kirk's adventures in the original series, and will follow Lt. Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) as she serves aboard the USS Shenzhou. At this point in the Star Trek timeline, the Federation and the Klingon Empire are engaged in a sort of cold war, but a discovery made by the Shenzhou's crew will threaten that status quo. At some point in the pilot, we'll be introduced to the titular USS Discovery and her captain, Gabriel Lorca (Jason Isaacs). Klingons will feature heavily throughout the first season, as nearly half the announced cast will be portraying members of the warrior race.

Is this connected to the old tv shows or the newer JJ Abrams films?
While Discovery seems to take visual cues from the Abrams films, the show is set within the same continuity as the original series (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise). Since it's a prequel to everything except Enterprise, you probably won't need extensive knowledge of those shows but don't be surprised if certain characters from them appear.

The Ships

USS Discovery NCC-1031

A science vessel, under the command of Gabriel Lorca. The design is heavily inspired by concepts that Star Wars artist Ralph McQuarrie created for an aborted Star Trek film in the late 70's.

USS Shenzhou

Another science vessel, under the command of Captain Georgiou and Lt. Burnham's assignment at the beginning of the series.

Main and Recurring Cast

Lt. Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green)
As Discovery begins, Lt. Burnham is serving as First Officer aboard the USS Shenzhou. After her parents were killed in a Klingon attack, Burnham was adopted by the vulcan Sarek, father of Spock, and spent her childhood on Vulcan. She attended the Vulcan Science Academy before joining Starfleet, and has been serving under Captain Georgiou for seven years.

Martin-Green is probably more familiar to viewers as Sasha from The Walking Dead, one of the few worthwhile characters on that show.

Captain Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh)
Georgiou is the commanding officer of the USS Shenzhou, and a mentor to Lt. Burnham. She's confident in Burnham's abilities, and seems to think the young Lt. is ready for a command of her own.

Most folks will recognize Yeoh from her role as Yu Shu Lien in the wuxia classic Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Sarek (James Frain)
Sarek of Vulcan, Federation ambassador, and father of Spock. Sarek adopted Burnham at a young age, though their relationship seems a bit strained. Sarek never was good with children.

Frain is familiar face for genre tv, having appeared on True Blood, Gotham, and Orphan Black in recent years.

Lt. Cmd. Saru (Doug Jones)
A Kelpian serving aboard the Shenzhou, Saru's race has the ability to “sense death”. He's got weird legs and :krad: space boots.

Jones is known for his prosthetic-heavy collaborations with Guillermo del Toro, appearing in Pan's Labyrinth, the Hellboy films, and the upcoming The Shape of Water.

T'Kuvma (Chris Obi)
Leader of his own house, T'Kuvma seeks to unite the other Klingon houses in a war with the Federation.

Obi is a theatre veteran, and recently appeared on American Gods as Anubis.

Captain Gabriel Lorca (Jason Isaacs)
Lorca is the captain of the USS Discovery, and apparently some kind of southerner.

Isaacs played Lucius Malfoy, Draco's dad, in the Harry Potter films. No glorious mane of hair this time around.

Lt. Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp)
Stamets is an astromycologist serving aboard the Discovery, and will be Star Trek's first openly-gay character.

A veteran of theatre for 30 years, Rapp was part of the original cast of Rent.

Harcourt “Harry” Fenton Mudd (Rainn Wilson)
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him. Mudd appeared twice on TOS, having already had several run-ins with Starfleet. I'm guessing we'll see one of them this season.

Rainn Wilson was Dwight Schrute on The Office, but do yourself a favor and watch him in the James Gunn film Super.

So, how can I watch this?
If you live outside the US or Canada, I have good news; new episodes will appear weekly on Netflix. Simple as that. For the rest of us, the two-part pilot will premiere on CBS this Sunday, the 24th at 8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT, before moving to CBS's All Access digital subscription service ($7.99/month). Since All Access has performance issues and usually tops out at 720p, expect this to be one of the most pirated shows of 2017.

Upcoming Episodes
  • S1E1 - The Vulcan Hello - 9/24 on CBS, AA, Netflix
  • S1E2 - Battle at the Binary Stars - 9/24 on AA, Netflix
  • S1E3 - Context is for Kings - 10/1 on AA, Netflix
  • S1E4 - The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry - 10/8 on AA, Netflix

:siren:A note regarding the spoiler policy;:siren: spoilers are fair game for this thread so long as they pertain to episodes that have already aired. However, if you should venture into the main TVIV Trek thread, please be courteous and spoiler text anything that hasn't been revealed in trailers, press, etc. There are a lot of folks who won't be watching this the same day it airs.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good OP, OP.

Looking forward to STD. I have a high threshold for crappo if it's Trek, so I'm sure I'll All Access the whole series (elsewhere)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Gonna trim my sideburns Starfleet style this weekend! Because I'm dumb!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you live outside the US and Canada it's on netflix. Canada generally gets the worst of both worlds when it comes to streaming licensing poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

If you live outside the US and Canada it's on netflix. Canada generally gets the worst of both worlds when it comes to streaming licensing poo poo.

I forgot Canada was getting the shaft as well, updated the OP.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Good OP.

Really hoping this show doesn't turn out to be trash.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^:yeah:

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure our main character is either a commander or lieutenant commander, sources have waffled a bit on that but I don't think that she is a regular ol' lieutenant given that she is being groomed for command and will presumably get it sooner rather than later.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I forgot Canada was getting the shaft as well, updated the OP.

Canada at least gets it on normal cable because I guess Space ran out of Castle reruns or something. That probably means it'll also stream on Crave up here but I'm not a subscriber so I'm not 100% certain.

I'm honestly looking forward to Discovery a lot, even if it's mainly just for the casting and to see what still remains of Bryan Fuller's original outline.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Looking forward to once again live-posting in a Trek thread. Haven't done that since the Enterprise days on TrekBBS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure our main character is either a commander or lieutenant commander, sources have waffled a bit on that but I don't think that she is a regular ol' lieutenant given that she is being groomed for command and will presumably get it sooner rather than later.

You just made me realize that none of the promotional shots have any sort of visible rank insignia/stripes/braids/whatever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

You just made me realize that none of the promotional shots have any sort of visible rank insignia/stripes/braids/whatever

The pips are on the delta badge now and captains get extra gold epaulets on the shoulders. I can't remember if there's TOS style sleeve bands or not.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Ratings should be interesting, since it's going up against:

NBC - Raiders vs Redskins
PBS - Ken Burns' Vietnam (there could be regional differences on this)
ABC - A split between half of Celebrity Family Feud & half of Steve Harvey's Funderdome (whatever the gently caress that is)
FOX - "Who Shot Biggie & Tupac?"
CW - local programming.

Also, start time may be delayed if football runs over and delays the season 50(!!) premiere of 60 Minutes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The pips are on the delta badge now and captains get extra gold epaulets on the shoulders. I can't remember if there's TOS style sleeve bands or not.

There are not.

Squinting at the picture of Burnham in the OP, it looks to me like she has three for a full commander. But it may be subject to change, I suppose.

e: if CBS cared about ratings, they would be airing the whole show! I doubt ratings will tell us much apart from that nobody is ever going to get the ratings peak that was "Aquiel" back

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Man, Spock really doesn't like talking about his family, does he? First, he has a half brother name Sybok, and now he has a human sister.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

He also didn't tell Kirk and McCoy that Sarek was his dad until Kirk unwittingly brought it up.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Pro thread title OP, probably better than this show will be

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Two things.

1. The "First Black female Lead" is a cultural Vulcan, unlike the Sisko who is from New Orleans and has an extensive collection of African art.

2. Rank pips on the delta gives anyone an excuse to examine a woman's chest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apparently this will hit UK Netflix at 7am on September 25th, so we can't just stay up till midnight to watch like with Rick & Morty. :(

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Still think the ship designs are bad, hopefully it's fun to watch.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We've gone over it in the other Trek thread, but it's worth pointing out here that the first two eps are getting rave reviews on Twitter based on a premiere event they did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Davros1 posted:

Man, Spock really doesn't like talking about his family, does he? First, he has a half brother name Sybok, and now he has a human sister.
Well this is during the period where Sarek was not talking to Spock because he joined Starfleet so it's pretty likely Burnham never met Spock

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

We've gone over it in the other Trek thread, but it's worth pointing out here that the first two eps are getting rave reviews on Twitter based on a premiere event they did.

https://twitter.com/NanaVisitor/status/910498480459702277

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/910720788797329409

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well this is during the period where Sarek was not talking to Spock because he joined Starfleet so it's pretty likely Burnham never met Spock

Did Spock keep in contact with his mother?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What was the last novel concept introduced to a Star Trek series or movie? It seems like Trek writers haven't been able to escape from the box of phasers, transporters, and bumpy forehead aliens for a long time. Like they're stuck in the pattern buffer. Their signal is degrading! Franklin!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

What was the last novel concept introduced to a Star Trek series or movie? It seems like Trek writers haven't been able to escape from the box of phasers, transporters, and bumpy forehead aliens for a long time. Like they're stuck in the pattern buffer. Their signal is degrading! Franklin!

Well the dumb thing about making another prequel sandwiched between two series is that most novel concepts will be pretty drat suspect, at least among the protagonists.

Strange new aliens that are interesting enough to make a good show but unimportant enough to never come up again are going to be tough to come up with with any frequency or consistency.

Where are the Xindi during the loving Dominion war? Or the Taliban Suliban?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Only the first episode is on broadcast tv. The second half of the pilot is on All Access.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

Well the dumb thing about making another prequel sandwiched between two series is that most novel concepts will be pretty drat suspect, at least among the protagonists.

Strange new aliens that are interesting enough to make a good show but unimportant enough to never come up again are going to be tough to come up with with any frequency or consistency.

Where are the Xindi during the loving Dominion war? Or the Taliban Suliban?

Same place the whales are.

I don't remember where I read it, but it was about the Star Wars prequel trilogy compared to the Force Awakens. George Lucas tried to do something different with them and the market responded that no, in fact Star Wars was about X-Wings, and smugglers, and definitely not politics.

In the same way, I think Star Trek might be locked in now.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

Two things.

1. The "First Black female Lead" is a cultural Vulcan, unlike the Sisko who is from New Orleans and has an extensive collection of African art.

2. Rank pips on the delta gives anyone an excuse to examine a woman's chest.

1. You can tell good stories about a person of color growing up in an alien culture within an adopted family, having to live up to the standards of a society that sees you as inferior because of your heritage.

2. TNG-era badges indicated what corps a member of Starfleet belonged to, as well as doubled as communicators which were in constant use. TOS literally had women crew members wearing dresses that exposed like a third of their chests.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Only the first episode is on broadcast tv. The second half of the pilot is on All Access.
I did not realize that. It's scummy. You could at least put the complete thing on broadcast and then do the second episode on AA.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Beachcomber posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but it was about the Star Wars prequel trilogy compared to the Force Awakens. George Lucas tried to do something different with them and the market responded that no, in fact Star Wars was about X-Wings, and smugglers, and definitely not politics.

In the same way, I think Star Trek might be locked in now.

Locked into being like the older series's or locked into following JJtrek? Not sure how to read your conclusion cause it doesn't really feel like Star Trek is on the same path of Star Wars at all imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope they didn't gently caress this up with "THERE'S A CONNECTION TO KIRK AND SPOCK, WATCH PLEASE."

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope they didn't gently caress this up with "THERE'S A CONNECTION TO KIRK AND SPOCK, WATCH PLEASE."

the lead is Spock's adopted sister

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Wow, that is... something else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I have no hope whatsoever that this will fit neatly into established canon since they clearly weren't concerned in the least with accomplishing that (and probably shouldn't really have been since established canon is pretty incoherent and stupid). If it is a half-decent space opera that can maintain a Treklike feel, I will consider that we came out ahead, though I don't have much hope of that from what we've seen.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
For any other Canadians out there, CraveTV has a Discovery promotional discount of 15% off of a 6 month subscription and they'll have the new episodes weekly. Their UI is flaming garbage, but they have a half decent catalog of other shows.

https://www.cravetv.ca/gift/

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wow, that is... something else.

Yup. See you guys in the spring, or later, because there's no way in hell I'm supporting this business model.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ventana posted:

Locked into being like the older series's or locked into following JJtrek? Not sure how to read your conclusion cause it doesn't really feel like Star Trek is on the same path of Star Wars at all imo.

Each series has built a vast universe— indeed as vast as the universe itself— with infinite storytelling potential. Each one tried to tap into this potential and do something slightly out of the box in the 90's/2000's (DS9 for Trek, the prequels for Wars), with debatable results. Studios subsequently have decided that in order for each franchise to be successful, all future stories must revolve around a core set of familiar old elements.

In Wars' case, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, lightstabers, and constant Darth Vader shoehorns. In Trek, Starfleet ships, phasers, transporters, Vulcans, Klingons, and Kirk/Spock. (And my guess would be TNG characters again once they tap that out.)

The result is that despite having a whole galaxy and more as your storytelling playground, you end up with a repetitive, small, and stale storytelling world.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Each series has built a vast universe— indeed as vast as the universe itself— with infinite storytelling potential. Each one tried to tap into this potential and do something slightly out of the box in the 90's/2000's (DS9 for Trek, the prequels for Wars), with debatable results. Studios subsequently have decided that in order for each franchise to be successful, all future stories must revolve around a core set of familiar old elements.

In Wars' case, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, lightstabers, and constant Darth Vader shoehorns. In Trek, Starfleet ships, phasers, transporters, Vulcans, Klingons, and Kirk/Spock. (And my guess would be TNG characters again once they tap that out.)

The result is that despite having a whole galaxy and more as your storytelling playground, you end up with a repetitive, small, and stale storytelling world.

Oh okay, now I think I can read what he meant. I don't really buy into the experimental vs conservative arguments in creativity myself, but it is really clear that both Star Trek and Star Wars are currently leaning in on the conservative side here.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Huh. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just more tricks from Thomas Riker. He's going to peel off his sideburns and shittalk the show when nobody's looking.