Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
nanachi if you want to kill mitty just feed your cooking to her gosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It is weird that we're getting payoff to a mystery set up in episode 2-3 here on episode 12. I hope nothing bad happens on the surface. :ohdear:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Iretep posted:

nanachi if you want to kill mitty just feed your cooking to her gosh.

I fear she's just going to produce antidote.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It is weird that we're getting payoff to a mystery set up in episode 2-3 here on episode 12. I hope nothing bad happens on the surface. :ohdear:

I don't know when the chapter about Kiyui getting treated was first published, but it was only collected in the newest volume.

What's worrying me more is all that happens the day after Riko and Reg are gone, while the main story has already progressed approximately a few weeks.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurking Haro posted:

I fear she's just going to produce antidote.

I don't know when the chapter about Kiyui getting treated was first published, but it was only collected in the newest volume.

What's worrying me more is all that happens the day after Riko and Reg are gone, while the main story has already progressed approximately a few weeks.

They do mention that time does weird things in the lower levels of the Abyss. Maybe showing events linearly is not necessary.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

There Bias Two posted:

They do mention that time does weird things in the lower levels of the Abyss. Maybe showing events linearly is not necessary.

That just sounds like a band-aid for bad pacing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't "get" how looking up helped Reg grab spiky's wiffleball in the show any more than I did in the manga so I guess I'll chalk it up to ~~mystery of the abyss~~ ?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I don't "get" how looking up helped Reg grab spiky's wiffleball in the show any more than I did in the manga so I guess I'll chalk it up to ~~mystery of the abyss~~ ?

what i remember from the manga is that it was meant to be a misdirect so the orb-piercer wouldn't expect what he was actually going to do.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Martytoof posted:

Spiky can read minds and predict movements. Only totally concentrating on something unrelated can you hope to fool it. He looks up, Nanachi tells him where to grab. He doesn't know he's grabbing it, therefore Spiky can't avoid it with precognition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, that make some sense at least.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I just want to hug Nanachi and tell her that everything's going to be okay.

There Bias Two posted:

The saccharine ED rolling after all that was just surreal and creepy.

The contrast between what the ED shows and how it actually happens just gets more and more jarring with each passing episode.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Command Ant posted:

The contrast between what the ED shows and how it actually happens just gets more and more jarring with each passing episode.

The lyrics are fun too

Reg: "Your left hand and my right hand,
Once they join, forming a connection, let's begin!"

Riko is gonna have a bit of trouble with that now, I think

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm curious about Nanachi's reaction to the hand-beam. She looked horrified by it in a way that makes me think she knows something about it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

But the abyss-time-dilation is supposed to go the other way (if it actually exists, and isn't just a personal perception/madness thing):

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm curious about Nanachi's reaction to the hand-beam. She looked horrified by it in a way that makes me think she knows something about it.

I suspect it was simply a case of 'holy poo poo, this can kill Mitty'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hahahahaha oh dear.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This person seems to be serious. They should probably never be around children.

e: The comments section is also hilarious.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 23, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tamba posted:

But the abyss-time-dilation is supposed to go the other way (if it actually exists, and isn't just a personal perception/madness thing):

No he's got it right. For instance it might be that only a few days have passed on the surface while they have spent weeks down at the lower levels, just like how her mother might still be alive despite 10 years passing at the surface.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

There Bias Two posted:

This person seems to be serious. They should probably never be around children.

e: The comments section is also hilarious.

I mean I guess if you are stress training yourself for their teen years, dealing with "Why does the elf robot keep getting boners?" is an option.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not going to fully read an animenow article but i think having a guided watch of the show with a kid riko's age could be fine.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dogsicle posted:

i'm not going to fully read an animenow article but i think having a guided watch of the show with a kid riko's age could be fine.

Why do you think it would be fine?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Why do you think it wouldn't? It is no more graphic than something like Watership Down, and it's far from the levels of wanton violence depicted in action films.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 23, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why do you think it wouldn't? It is no more graphic than something like Watership Down, and it's far from the levels of wanton violence depicted in action films.

I would say that it's quite a bit more graphic than Watership Down. Watership Down didn't have steaming viscera spilling out of body cavities. Or depictions of bondage and torture. Or weird moments probably related to a fetish where they kept specifically focusing on nudity or the fact that a character peed themselves.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I would say that it's quite a bit more graphic than Watership Down. Watership Down didn't have steaming viscera spilling out of body cavities. Or depictions of bondage and torture. Or weird moments probably related to a fetish where they kept specifically focusing on nudity or the fact that a character peed themselves.

Oh no a character peed themselves or was tied up. Big whoop. People are occasionally naked (without any sexualisation), guess that means kids also shouldn't watch Naruto.

Kids are smart enough not to go crazy or break from seeing a little something like this. 10 year olds happily play games like GTA and watch films like Bond or the Bourne series, and that's totally fine. Sheltering them too much has a much worse effect than allowing them to view such media.

E: and yeah, that shot right there is much worse than even the nastiest scene in Made in Abyss.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

i feel like kids aren't dumb and are capable of handling the content in the show. not like i advocate for them watching alone, but with an adult around to discuss it, they should be fine

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

There Bias Two posted:

What sanitized version of Watership Down did you experience? :laffo:

Last I looked the book had torture scenes and rabbits literally ripping each other's throats out including descriptions of the taste of hot blood filling the mouth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm gonna say there isn't anything in Watership Down that's weird in the precise way that a prepubescent girl being casually depicted as strung up naked for punishment is weird. That's not something you want to have to explain to people why your kid knows about.

I think there are definitely kids that could find this show appealing despite the upsetting violence and general earthiness of it though. One of the more interesting things about it is that, like most really good stories about children, it doesn't treat children like a bunch of one-note twerps or kawaii lumps of sentiment, but tries to portray them as actual characters with a degree of pathos, and kids tend to like that.

e: I'm also gonna say that there's nothing wrong with kids learning that if you travel into the wilderness alone and antagonize the fauna, you can be seriously injured and that serious injury is extremely unpleasant.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 23, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

skasion posted:

e: I'm also gonna say that there's nothing wrong with kids learning that if you travel into the wilderness alone and antagonize the fauna, you can be seriously injured and that serious injury is extremely unpleasant.

What about the part where you might meet a friendly hobo in the woods who will save you from a bear and then ask you to mercy-kill his sick friend with your shotgun?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Don't eat anything they give you! Wholesome life lessons from seinen anime

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I see the top kids cartoons here are Watership Down, the Plague Dogs and Felidae.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If I watched Watership Down when I was 8, so can everyone else. :colbert:

and it was deeply disturbing, do not watch Made in Abyss with children you weirdos

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Writer's reaction to episode 10:

quote:

…what are you even talking about? That wasn’t any worse than anything I’ve read in YA literature or seen in movies made from YA literature (like Harry Potter or Hunger Games). Y’all either trolling me, or you have very, very conservative views.

Yeah I uh. I don't think they know what they're talking about.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pollyanna posted:

If you spend enough time watching anime, I think you start to lose perspective of the way a non-regular viewer might perceive the content.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Writer's reaction to episode 10:

these are weird examples to cite and it comes off way too dismissive of the weight abyss has. then again the only part of the article i retained from skimming was them handwaving the reg dick stuff because half of all kids have their own dicks. animenow is a bad site.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's certainly possible for a kid to handle watching Made in Abyss, but it's the sort of thing that a kid should seek out or naturally come across on their own. It definitely isn't family viewing night material, especially if you're going to try to turn the show into some message-filled learning experience.

Pollyanna posted:

Nothing makes a dumb opinion sound dumber than using "Y'all".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

There is some nasty stuff in Potter and HG, but it is presented in a thoroughly toothless fashion.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I read Watership Down at age 12 or so, for a book report for my school, it was one of like five books on the suggested reading list and it was at least as brutal to read as MiA is to watch. Children are not nearly as stupid or weak as all of you seem to think they are. We also read Lord of the Flies at about the same age and that was way more brutal and hosed up than anything I have seen so far in MiA.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I still vividly remember the scene from Watership Down where all the rabbits are squeezing to try to escape the warrens while being gassed but can't. A++ would forever scar my own children to pass on the horror. There are already a few scenes that I would suspect are a bit OTT in Made in Abyss for children under 11/12 or so.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I read Watership Down at age 12 or so, for a book report for my school, it was one of like five books on the suggested reading list and it was at least as brutal to read as MiA is to watch. Children are not nearly as stupid or weak as all of you seem to think they are. We also read Lord of the Flies at about the same age and that was way more brutal and hosed up than anything I have seen so far in MiA.

Why are you equating the value of the material with stupidity or weakness on the part of the children? I'd argue there's a lot more to be learned in Lord of the Flies compared to MiA so far.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Why are you equating the value of the material with stupidity or weakness on the part of the children? I'd argue there's a lot more to be learned in Lord of the Flies compared to MiA so far.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

What I am saying is that people should not worry so much about how some piece of media is going to horribly scar the poor little children forever and ever. Kids are resilient, they can watch a lot of things and be just fine, there are far scarier things in your average kid's life than any book or tv show, like other kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/potipoti93/status/911261921227137025

• Locked thread