Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sonic Forces x Hooters is a thing in Japan. This is the promotion. I'm watching TGS and a man in a sonic suit is dancing around with hooters waitresses. What the hell

E: Picture from the stream

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

What the gently caress?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

XavierGenisi posted:

What the gently caress?

TGS opened with the story trailer we've seen over the past week
Showed a live playthrough of the Tag Stage and Modern Sonics Park again.
Ended the presentation by going "btw we're teaming up with hooters Sonic Forces X Hooters" flashing on screen

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah, but....what the gently caress?!

Why are they teaming up Sonic and Hooters of all things?! I could have imagined Yakuza and Hooters, *maybe*, but....why?!

I'm very surprised and very confused.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

seems legit

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sonic Forces x Hooters is a thing in Japan. This is the promotion. I'm watching TGS and a man in a sonic suit is dancing around with hooters waitresses. What the hell

E: Picture from the stream

Maybe Sonic Forces will be good after all.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

There's already fanart.

https://twitter.com/TheChaosSpirit/status/911451676594319361
https://twitter.com/neonspindash/status/911448365300412416

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Is that the same Sonic mascot costume from last year?

Is it the same person in the costume from last year? Somebody let them out please!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

EVERY👏3D👏SONIC👏IS👏BAD👏ALWAYS👏REMEMBER👏THIS👏

I can't hear you over the sound of you being so incredibly wrong that it makes Sonic Mania look like a bad game simply because you liked it.

3D Sonic is good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Frankston posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of the hard boiled heavy boss fights but the music makes them a lot more bearable.

Personally shinobi heavy is one of the best boss fights in the entire series

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

I think I figured out what bugs me about the Original the Characters. Their bodies are way too long, and the lack of any sort of break in their color palette just makes them look kind of bland.

Like, compare the color palette and proportions on Tails to these Toontown characters.

The ones with a fully colored body look really naked, it's weird. If they had the differently colored stomach/chest like most Sonic characters they'd look less awkward, I think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hooters zone

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pigbuster posted:

The ones with a fully colored body look really naked, it's weird. If they had the differently colored stomach/chest like most Sonic characters they'd look less awkward, I think.

Exactly! It probably doesn't help that the designs themselves are monotonous. At least for the generics, literally the only difference is some facial features. Their heads are all these perfect spheres that no character really has.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They look like Sonic Boom villagers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also there's like ten of them just shoved into one camera shot, all with the same pose. Someone earlier in the thread said it looked like it was made in Source Filmmaker, and they were right.

There don't seem to be any humans anymore either, and we haven't seen any Generic the Animals outside the comics before, but here's a ton of them, I guess. I feel like if you asked anyone at Sonic Team why they make any of these decisions they'd just stare you, unblinking, until you got uncomfortable and left.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Random animal people are now a thing because Your OC is a random animal person in Knuckles the Echidnas lovely Eggman resistance army so now they're just kinda around and are the generic models in place of humans because you don't really need both honestly. And they look terrible probably just because nobody cares about npc models and Sonic Team thought they could get away with half-assing it.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

That japanese story trailer from a couple of days ago got an official english version:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/911265857510154240

I see that Dr Eggman creating Infinite much like Gerald Robotnik creating Shadow.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's good that Forces is going to be poo poo and fail because hopefully it means they'll increase focus on Mania 2.

Who am I kidding, these awful 3D games sell like hotcakes no matter how bad they are. :cripes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's because they're good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wasn't aware Sonic games have really been huge sellers recently. Not that I thought they were doing bad exactly but I didn't think they were flying off the shelves.

I hope they are though because Sonic games are good.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

All of the OCs are badly drawn and off model by design, it's accuracy to the source material

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sonic Forces me to eat expensive wings and look at titties.

So do we know what the Hooters collaboration even is? Because I have a friend who works at a Hooters in Tokyo and if there's free stuff I'm totally gonna bother her about it till I get some

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Is that the same Sonic mascot costume from last year?

Is it the same person in the costume from last year? Somebody let them out please!

That's Sonic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wasn't aware Sonic games have really been huge sellers recently. Not that I thought they were doing bad exactly but I didn't think they were flying off the shelves.

I hope they are though because Sonic games are good.

Almost every major 3D Sonic game sells at least 2.5-3 million copies. Lost Worlds is the only actual 3D Sonic game to underperform recently and that can be blamed pretty heavily on being a Wii U exclusive. (Well, that and Sonic Boom but Sonic Boom was both an exclusive and a massive pile of rear end.)

They're not like top-of-the-charts good but they perform well very consistently.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 23, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sonic games are generally a safe buy for parents with no idea to get their kids that are too young for a shooter and already have the marios.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

https://twitter.com/ChibiJenHen_Art/status/911472640665247744

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

XavierGenisi posted:

That japanese story trailer from a couple of days ago got an official english version:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/911265857510154240

I do like that it's all Eggman again. Sure, Infinite is almost certain to usurp him as the boss, but it was something he made rather than found.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Geostomp posted:

I do like that it's all Eggman again. Sure, Infinite is almost certain to usurp him as the boss, but it was something he made rather than found.

Wait, does this mean that Infinite and Metal Sonic are siblings? ...Does this mean Orbot and Cubot are Infinite's older brothers?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Technically it's been Eggman for the last three main games so far. He did get overthrown in Lost World but he still wound up being the final boss at the end regardless.

I'm guessing this one is going to buck the trend though and the final boss will be a Super Sonic fight against Infinite (or maybe both of them at once).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 23, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

EVERY👏3D👏SONIC👏IS👏BAD👏ALWAYS👏REMEMBER👏THIS👏

No matter how many times you say it it won't be any less false.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

EVERY👏3D👏SONIC👏IS👏BAD👏ALWAYS👏REME

I'll make you eat those words!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played through Sonic's story in Sonic Adventure on Steam recently and while it has a fuckton of issues I'd say that it was still enjoyable and fun. If other 3D Sonic games had built on the good parts of Sonic Adventure instead of only the bad parts I would probably like 3D Sonic games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of you being so incredibly wrong that it makes Sonic Mania look like a bad game simply because you liked it.

3D Sonic is good.

[quote="“Shadowlyger”" post="“476685470”"]
No matter how many times you say it it won’t be any less false.
[/quote]

[quote="“Trasson”" post="“476685951”"]
I’ll make you eat those words!
[/quote]

Lmao mods ban these obvious trolls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also I modded the steam version to restore the dreamcast models and lighting and drat I never realized how much SADX hosed up the look of the game until now

feels good to bring back the original title screen too

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I dislike the sonics that are 3D/not on the genesis but heck if people love them some adventures then sonic forces looks like it will be awesome and I am glad each Sonic camp got a lovely Sonic game for them to play this year!!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Well, we still don't know if forces will actually be good.

I'm definitely open minded and hoping forces to be good, but at the same time the released footage isn't very exciting to me other than the tag level.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Augus posted:

I played through Sonic's story in Sonic Adventure on Steam recently and while it has a fuckton of issues I'd say that it was still enjoyable and fun. If other 3D Sonic games had built on the good parts of Sonic Adventure instead of only the bad parts I would probably like 3D Sonic games.

Speed Highway is legit one of the best Sonic levels ever made. I love it so much. I also love the way Sonic looks and handles at speed in Adventure 1, he has a light, bouncy feel that they never went back to.

In other news, I hate these special stages so much I can taste it in my mouth. Even Sonic 4 did them better; at least there I had some semblance of control.

Although that isn't as bad as the time during my childhood when I did the 3rd special stage (the first of two giant floating arenas) and managed to clear every single diamond without hitting the emerald, and I wanted to cry because we didn't have saves back in those days.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish there was a SA2 mod that just cut all the non Sonic/Shadow stages.

I guess Tails/Eggman play fine but BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

like seriously SADX just mangled speed highway entirely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8Fv4n7nbw&t=187s
they made everything so much less bright and colorful. being able to fix this with mods is a godsend

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speed Highway is legit one of the best Sonic levels ever made. I love it so much. I also love the way Sonic looks and handles at speed in Adventure 1, he has a light, bouncy feel that they never went back to.

Speed Highway is great, especially the section at the end where you're running around the city at dawn, short though it may be.
Twinkle Park is great, I love the vertical structure of the castle area and how it drops you down to a lower section if you mess up a jump.
Red Mountain has a lot of variety to it and the transition to the interior section is really cool. Same could be said of Lost World, the levels are pretty drat good at mixing things up.
Sky Deck suffers a lot from the clumsy collision detection on those narrow catwalks but it's still a hectic thrill ride. I love the segment where you're climbing across the wing of the ship and segments are opening up and fighter drones are taking off all around you. If the section at the end where the ship turns sideways was programmed better it would've been a really awesome setpiece.
Final Egg has a great aesthetic for a final level.

There's a lot of stuff that Adventure got right that future games didn't. Sonic controlled pretty drat well, main issue is that they let you cancel spindashes immediately into other spindashes. They should've programmed it so that you had to be going slow to spin dash and if you were going fast pressing the button would just make you roll, like they did with Tails's spinning attack.

Sonic could speed up by rolling down slopes. He could gain height by jumping on an upward curve. He could use his speed to carry himself up steep hills or even run on walls and ceilings, without the aid of a dash panel.
It feels like Sonic Team was still designing the game like a platformer and the levels feel a lot more involved and physically coherent than in future games. They're fairly linear but they do provide opportunities to take different paths or use the level geometry in surprising ways, like running on the buildings at the beginning of Speed Highway (you even earn a 1-up for this). The music is energetic and catchy as hell. That's why I still enjoy the game despite how buggy it is and how much Big The Cat's stages suck, and I still think that this is the game that Sega should look at the most for how a 3D Sonic game should play. Just take inspiration from the good parts instead of the bad parts.

Also, Chaos loving owns. God he's got such a cool design.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I still hold some lingering fondness for Sonic Adventure, despite it's problems, but Sonic Adventure 2 has aged far more poorly - with the exception of Sonic's levels (and Shadow's), and the Chao Garden which is significantly better. Knuckles' levels worked better when they were smaller, more compact, and Gamma's levels actually required skill and weren't just glorified shooting galleries.