Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TTBF posted:

I'm not far enough in the game to have the money to buy that trainer. Also all of her equipment just disappeared.

e: I found a save only 40 minutes back where everything is fine. A google search shows that other people had a similar issue caused by swapping characters around in the Spire. So I guess I'm going to have to leave everyone nude when I'm not using them.

I had this issue too, lost an artifact from the expansion because of it but consoled back in everything I could find an ID for. It looks like it happens in the act 3 transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gobblecoque posted:

I think that the usual RPG affairs would be a bit underwhelming after you've built up your own little kingdom and attained the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear arsenal. It could be cool if the copied the mechanics of the battle of Yenwood Field quest from PoE where a big event is largely handled by way of CYOA screen. If I had to bet though, I'd imagine that a sequel would probably be one of those where you start out having lost everything and you wind up in a dungeon but an old buddy breaks you out.

Nah, you're an Archon you're too powerful to keep locked up. You either swear fealty or get the full might of Kyros brought against you. The way to do it would be having a bunch of regions, breaking them up more, so you swear out on Edict on I don't know, the Barren Shores and then go deal with the consequences of that as you slaughter your way towards Kyros. They've also got Edicts after all, so you'd very quickly find yourselves stalemated as far as that particular power goes. They've got an enormous army though, and you need one if you're going to topple them. Plus this is the first chance at actual freedom any of the people of Kyros' lands have had, ever. How they react to that, what deals they make to try to make sure they get to remain free after one or the other of you has consolidated power would be very interesting, especially given the interactivity Obsidian could do.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Got this from Paradox's autumn sale and blitzed through it, took me about 40 hours doing every quest I could find. Sided with Stormfront dudes instead of Captain Tortureface and Their Circus of Knife-wielding Lunatics. Combat towards the end got kinda dull, every fight opened with spell-specced MC, Lantry and Eb/Sirin unloading a massive fuckoff artillery barrage and then shanking whoever was left. I really liked the general atmosphere and almost every character. Probably gonna play through it again to explore the other paths (except Chorus because gently caress the Chorus) and that's saying something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With a sequel, the way I see it is that you've basically got two options (spoiling for safety): either you lead an open rebellion against Kyros, or you play the Game of Archons while pretending to be loyal/being the one true faithful servant. Either path has room for plenty of combat and intrigue, though I admit the latter option is one that I find the most appealing.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

During the epilogue they zoom out on a map of the continent and show how miniscule the tiers peninsula is. Even if you make an effort to subjugate all the local violent elements during the game instead of executing them, you wouldn't have much of any army to rebel with. Not to mention the tiers are basically a blasted hellscape whose most prominent feature is a series of ghoulish mass graves.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mondian posted:

Even if you make an effort to subjugate all the local violent elements during the game instead of executing them, you wouldn't have much of any army to rebel with.

Most of Kyros' armies were in tiers. Sure, there is one that we haven't seen (the one he sends in at the end, that you beat back with an edict), and probably a ton of lesser troops and town garrisons, but the Chorus and the Disfavored are supposed to be the bulk of the empire's forces.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And there's a question of how many of his subjects are actually loyal or just follow because it's the overlord, what else can you do?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mymla posted:

Most of Kyros' armies were in tiers. Sure, there is one that we haven't seen (the one he sends in at the end, that you beat back with an edict), and probably a ton of lesser troops and town garrisons, but the Chorus and the Disfavored are supposed to be the bulk of the empire's forces.

Where are you getting this from? The game hints at there being a ton of Archons with their own armies.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean I could be wrong, I haven't played the game for a while, but I think the only archons with armies are Graven Ashe, Voices of Nerat and whatsherface the archon of... disease?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mondian posted:

During the epilogue they zoom out on a map of the continent and show how miniscule the tiers peninsula is. Even if you make an effort to subjugate all the local violent elements during the game instead of executing them, you wouldn't have much of any army to rebel with. Not to mention the tiers are basically a blasted hellscape whose most prominent feature is a series of ghoulish mass graves.

Not to mention that Kyros has been performing edicts for centuries while you've only just learned that you were capable of it. It's like a small child just learning to read trying to compete with Shakespeare. It would be very easy for a sequel to say "this little rogue state of yours collapsed pretty much instantly and now you're back to square one."

Mymla posted:

I mean I could be wrong, I haven't played the game for a while, but I think the only archons with armies are Graven Ashe, Voices of Nerat and whatsherface the archon of... disease?

It always felt to me like the Disfavored and Chorus were only the vanguard of Kyros' military and that Kyros is totally cool if they get decimated on the frontier because they're impressively incompetent and not at all loyal.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It'd be nice if I could change Barik's colors. His main color's green and it looks weird with the Disfavored armor I have him in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Query: Does regeneration stack? Got 2 items with regen on it, is it a good idea to put both on Barik for double the healing or am I wasting one?

e: I just found the effects area of the UI, no it does not.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

It always felt to me like the Disfavored and Chorus were only the vanguard of Kyros' military and that Kyros is totally cool if they get decimated on the frontier because they're impressively incompetent and not at all loyal.

All the Archons have their own holdings and their own armies with which to keep order, but the Disfavored and the Chorus were the largest and most capable fighting forces.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

the Disfavored and the Chorus were the largest and most capable fighting forces.

Does anyone impartial actually say that? There's more than one npc that comments on how the chorus is just a nuisance now that there are no longer any unconquered lands to unleash them on and how Kyros feels about the Disfavored is uhh... right there in their name. If they're so great why did their campaign against some back country savages fail so spectacularly? Also the only input from Kyros on any of this is "Win already or I kill you all" and then after you win it's "Ok fine, just kill each other then"

Seems pretty clear this final campaign is being used to cleanse some undesirables from his ranks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CommissarMega posted:

With a sequel, the way I see it is that you've basically got two options (spoiling for safety): either you lead an open rebellion against Kyros, or you play the Game of Archons while pretending to be loyal/being the one true faithful servant. Either path has room for plenty of combat and intrigue, though I admit the latter option is one that I find the most appealing.

i think there are more ways to do it. for example, the second game could pick up after something went direly wrong with your conquest, kyros having hosed with your pillar magic somehow and forced you to flee to the overseas areas we hear of. conquest could still occur, since armies fleeing are known to do things like set up their own states. some effect could be found on that side of the world from her actions which reveals stuff about the pillars and magic system and draws kyros over for a big showdown.

that's just a vague idea from 20 seconds thought that doesn't involve dealing with the rebellion itself or being a different character, there are no doubt many other possibilities.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I really dislike the engagement mechanic in both PoE and Tyranny. It just doesn't work in any meaningful way and encourages players to use gimmicky LoS, chokepoint, and kiting tactics.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
I'd like the engagement mechanic a lot more if enemies consistently respected it tbh. Seems like every time my caster lands a spell on an enemy engaged by my tank they just beeline straight for the caster, zero fucks given.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well that's what I do for the AI.

They watered engagement down to the point were it's still best just to ignore it and kill the casters anyway.

Edit: it really is a shame I vaguely remember them talking about some kind of threat system in the early days of PoE but too many backers threw a fit that it was too much like WoW

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 27, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Tyranny aggro mechanic is hilariously easy to cheat because it's braindead simple. Enemies just target whoever has the lowest armour value, and try to avoid targeting characters with high armour values. They don't take anything else at all into account, so characters like Kills-In-Shadow who is a HP tank with no armour are great at drawing aggro, while Barik continually struggles with it and needs his taunts.

You can also cheat the system by just sticking your casters in heavier armour than your tanks and building evasion/HP tank characters who don't need to wear heavy armour. At this point the game becomes a walkover because enemies will never even try to target your backline unless your frontline bricks are already dead.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

An attack of opportunity is also just a bit of a weak penalty (for the AI, trying to run a PC away from an enemy tends to result in a string of about 6 AoO's in about 3 seconds knocking away your health).

If disengaging risked a Blood Bowl style trip-and-prone attack that had you stuck on the ground and seriously vulnerable then it would be a lot more effective.

Overall though Tyranny has by far my favorite version of BG-style combat/skills. Because it's Skyrim.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Engagement was a lot stronger (fake edit: stronger in Pillars, I just noticed this is the Tyranny thread) on release, IIRC. Only a very small number of enemy types would break engagement (fampyrs are the ones I remember most prominently?), everything else would stay in place. But people (Sensuki?) complained that it made fights too static. Which: yes, but now we're back to the old problem of tanks not being able to do their job properly. :shrug:

I hope they work something out for Deadfire.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Android Blues posted:

The Tyranny aggro mechanic is hilariously easy to cheat because it's braindead simple. Enemies just target whoever has the lowest armour value, and try to avoid targeting characters with high armour values. They don't take anything else at all into account, so characters like Kills-In-Shadow who is a HP tank with no armour are great at drawing aggro, while Barik continually struggles with it and needs his taunts.
Actually it's cuz everybody is racist

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Basic Chunnel posted:

Actually it's cuz everybody is racist
Yeah Villiam, you go attack the poo poo mountain with your bronze knife, I might be able to stab whatever that is. I mean, KiS undoubtedly smells better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

If it really is that easy to cheese, high armour value wizards/siren just got even stronger as a build.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's no reason to worry about build when minimizing recovery and maximizing Lore is still the way to go. If you're remotely decent at building spells you'll chew through everything you meet.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I hadn't touched this since launch and just played through again with 4 casters. Don't need defense at all when everyone is dazed, burning, bleeding, frozen, and marked on the first round and needs to eat a minimum of four spells for each action they take.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Playing newgame++ path of the damned, so builds do matter the absolute slightest.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
...is there maybe a way to CHEAT someone into having different colors? Barik being green is super weird.

Also I'm using green, so it's slightly confusing.

EDIT: Woo, found it in the save file. Barik's now got the Disfavored colors.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 30, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game really does own. I JUST finished the expansion with Bariks final quest and allying with the tiers instead of Kyros' forces. It genuinely is a different game depending on which side you pick, and they did a good job with that.

That Barik portrait though. (or all 3 of em!)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I started a NG+ playthrough but having to tediously grind through eleventy million Bane again is sapping my will to live.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Are the DLCs worth it or am I ok just snagging the base game which happens to be on sale?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

B-Mac posted:

Are the DLCs worth it or am I ok just snagging the base game which happens to be on sale?

Just the base game would be fine, you don't need the DLCs. Bastard's Wound is only okay, Tales From the Tiers is pretty much unnoticeable.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

wiegieman posted:

Just the base game would be fine, you don't need the DLCs. Bastard's Wound is only okay, Tales From the Tiers is pretty much unnoticeable.

Thanks for the answer. $18 seems like a good price for the game so I’ll snag it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Tales From the Tiers is pretty much unnoticeable.

That's not really a bad thing since it's basically just a random encounters pack. And it is on sale right now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Game is good yo, check it out.

Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera on sale as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Numenera gave me reset disease, I need to go back and finish it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thinking of replaying this as a rules lawyer caster with the new dlc. Anything I should know for spellcasting builds? I forget most everything, except that lore and athletics need boosting at the start.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thinking of replaying this as a rules lawyer caster with the new dlc. Anything I should know for spellcasting builds? I forget most everything, except that lore and athletics need boosting at the start.

Subterfuge is also pretty good to boost up a little. Staffs are very underwhelming, being a fistcaster is fun. You can't really gently caress up a magic build.

But if you want a full build

Pump Wits and Quickness until 19 each, Strength is a dump state, choose between Vitality and Resolve for the rest of your levels if you want to be a tank or pure mage respectively. Choose lightning twice at the start, get 32 athletics, ~40 subterfuge and pump the rest into lore. Don't bother with magic staff at all. Grab a sword and board as quickly as you can.

Skill choice, you want to head towards skills that give you bonus lore and spell slots, those are in magic and leadership trees. Don't bother investing too heavily in the magic tree beyond what you need for the extra spell slots, because it relies on auto-attacks and strength which you don't want to use. Defence tree is good and you should try and get the shield expertise skills. If you have the points try and get the arrow shield skill too. If you get the challenger stance skill there's a skill on tier one of one of the other trees that gives you 25% faster combat movement, so you can cause lots of disengagement attacks without much risk.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 16, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The best sigil to take at the start is frost, because frost is the damage element in this game. Other than that, casters need lore, quickness, and wits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's interesting, I never looked closely at magic tree and figured it mostly gave boosts to spells. If lore and spell slots/cooldown reduction are all that's needed I might as well grab a melee weapon and stab chumps in my downtime. Awesome.

Edit: yeah I'll be picking up frost if only to delete the boring parts of the game (the bane).

• Locked thread