Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Jumping into my company and then failing to keep the theme...

s m h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

#make paris great again

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

City of Level Crossing Lights

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:toot:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Me and Poil got bored and made a Particle collider.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 21, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I could get five trains on my collider (no signals) until it became a proper collider.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

I have to admit that it never crossed my mind to replace oil tankers with refitted 747s.

At least it's a lot better than the helicopters he tried before. :v:

edit

Converting a portion of my tracks to vacuum tube. :stare:

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 22, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh hey I'm third in that picture. :smug:

Man someone taught me to replace my vehicles the other day when they realised I was still using steam trains in the late 2000's so I do but, but jesus replacing entire track systems must be so boring.

Also holy poo poo Poil I told you we would turn Frankfurt into a giant.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah it's just one big blob of cities now.

There all tracks are vacuum tube now. 76 trains going zoom zooom zoooooom. Glasgow to Riga with a ton of other stops and if you connect to the airports you can get to quite a few other cities. Now to connect the tracks at Constantinople so you can train all the way there without flying.

edit
Now there's vacuum tube from Glasgow to Chios. No direct train of course.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 22, 2017

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The helicopter wouldve been more realistic though :v:

Also can we try Universal Rail newgrf? supposedly then you can build new depot with newer rails/tubes and you can do auto replace vehicles and mass rail conversion easily.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's some stupid high production coal mines there... and not a single power station even remotely nearby.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

There's some stupid high production coal mines there... and not a single power station even remotely nearby.
The longer the distance the more money you get. Provided you don't take half a year to haul it of course.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

The longer the distance the more money you get. Provided you don't take half a year to haul it of course.

I know. But "a different island needing to cross the ocean" is still too far.

I found good opportunity with some forests instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

I know. But "a different island needing to cross the ocean" is still too far.

I found good opportunity with some forests instead.
Just make some bridges with 1 tile wide islands between them for signals. Of course you might want some decent income first. :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx: Company share buying is enabled, I don't think that's the intention?

Edit: Okay it doesn't allow you to buy out others so I guess it isn't so much a problem.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 23, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

This map is awful.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
I like that this map is actually hard to get started on because of where the resources are. The only bad part is that it seems like there were 1 - 2 reasonable starting places at the start of the game and the people that got them are way ahead.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So many farms all over the map and only one factory, hidden away somewhere. I had to spend 900k to build a sawmill to shove my wood into.

Atown posted:

I like that this map is actually hard to get started on because of where the resources are. The only bad part is that it seems like there were 1 - 2 reasonable starting places at the start of the game and the people that got them are way ahead.
Yeah the map really lacks good starting places. And all those worthless farms taking up space isn't helping.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 23, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx posted:

FYI, competition is a part of the game. See someone else taking 20% of a 800 ton/month coal mine? Perfectly fine to set up a parallel line!

Okay. I will take your coal.

E: Transfer credits can make for some horrible profit figures.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 24, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah I couldn't work out why even if I had passengers my buses were getting negative profit? What the gently caress.

Also we should play a map of Africa or South America that would be cool. More industries though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The next step is, clearly, FIRS.

do it u wont

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just realized that on top of being able to group your trains, you can group your groups! Create a full-on taxonomy of line hierarchies or whatever. :spergin:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is grouping a feature you are supposed to be using? :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Poil posted:

Is grouping a feature you are supposed to be using? :v:

It helps you replace trains if, for whatever reason, you don't want all your trains to swap over to the same thing. (Going from a clunky steamer to a passenger-specific and electrical one, I guess.) Otherwise it's just bookkeeping.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yea I'd say 90% of the reason to use it is for managing auto-replace orders. The remaining 10% are getting an overview of vehicles on a particular route, whether one or a few are outliers in some way. E.g. if I have 8 trains on a route and see one of them seem to be making a loss every year, maybe I should retire one of them.

Edit: I imagine the pilots here are narrowly dodging between the skyscrapers on every take-off:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 24, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

sincx posted:

FYI, competition is a part of the game. See someone else taking 20% of a 800 ton/month coal mine? Perfectly fine to set up a parallel line!
There's only so far catchment areas can go. :v:

But seriously, I do appreciate a map where every connection isn't a mile away so it's actually a challenge, it's just the 1:100 industry ratio kinda sucks.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
So few industries, new map maybe?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh were you enjoying some untouched nature there? I'm so sorry.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some observations about Vactube trains:
VATC-0001 has quite good capacity in the front/back cars and loads reasonably fast.
JR-VAC has very high capacity in front/back cars, but none of the passenger cars match in design or capacity. It loads very slowly compared to the passenger cars.
VACT-0002 has pretty low capacity, but loads fast and has the fastest speed together with VACT-0003. (There is 1 km/h difference, i.e. 0.02%.)
VacTrain Experiment is dumb and pointless after any of the other have been introduced.

There are two kinds of passenger cars: Intercity and Long Distance. Intercity matches VACT-0001 in design, and is the only kind that will act as power car on those trains. I.e. if you put Long Distance or Mail cars on a VACT-0001 it won't get extra power and can end up underpowered meaning slow acceleration. (It will still run 1000+ km/h for most of the trip.)
VACT-0002 will only take the Long Distance cars for power cars, i.e. you end up underpowered if you use Intercity or Mail cars on it.
VACT-0003 doesn't accept any of the car types for power cars!
But JR-VAC takes any of them as power cars, including the Mail car.

So:
Maximum capacity and very high speed, disregarding loading times = JR-VAC + Intercity cars
High capacity but with better loading times but less speed = VACT-0001 + Intercity cars
Maximum speed and best loading times, disregarding capacity = VACT-0002 + Long Distance cars
Mail trains = JR-VAC + Mail cars (engine refits to Mail but not Goods/Valuables)
Goods/Valuables trains = VACT-0003 + Mail cars (but expect slow acceleration)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 25, 2017

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How many stations do I need in an individual town to get the most stuff to transport? Does each individual building in a town produce passengers and mail or can one station that covers a portion of the town get the same total amount of passengers / mail / etc?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Bedurndurn posted:

How many stations do I need in an individual town to get the most stuff to transport? Does each individual building in a town produce passengers and mail or can one station that covers a portion of the town get the same total amount of passengers / mail / etc?
Each different building produces different stuff, if you want specifics you can use the query tool on them (question mark on the top-right).
In general the more bigger buildings you have in your catchment area the better, and if you have multiple stations it's best if their catchment areas don't cross.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

More suggestions for games with the 2CC train set:

Add the Metro Tracks too, to avoid the "monorail" confusion.

Flip off majority of the geographies, to avoid excessive choice and "new vehicle available" spam.

For the current game it might e.g. have been most appropriate to enable only Asia and Oceania. It would mean none of the powerful/fast EU and NA trains, but China and Japan still has several high speed trains.

Calebc789
Sep 8, 2014

Can I suggest enabling us to found towns? Don't see any real reason to not do so.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Server went down? I hope it's because we're starting a new map. Let's play fun maps with a ton of industries where we can all get rich as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012