Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Thoatse posted:

this old pic of you from the Kearnyism days

My expression in my avatar is the same as the one I'm holding right now upon reading that my history has been revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I miss my anarchy torch, not gunna lie

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr.Tophat posted:

I miss my anarchy torch, not gunna lie

Just do what everyone else does and get a tiki torch.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Just do what everyone else does and get a tiki torch.

I said I miss my anarchy torch, not my impotent torch

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Now that there is reason to doubt the funding tracker and CIG has a bank loan, would that cause doubt for the editors of The Guinness Book of Records?
Maybe they can ask for proof of the funding.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Beggars can't be choosers. Just paint it black and red and pretend. Geez, skeletons these days.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Mr.Tophat posted:

If you're not impotent, why no more free love? You've changed, Tophat, you've changed.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Beggars can't be choosers. Just paint it black and red and pretend. Geez, skeletons these days.

I don't use deathhacks

runsamok posted:

If you're not impotent, why no more free love? You've changed, Tophat, you've changed.

True story, I was at a festival with a nos dispenser in my hands and this thin middle aged hippy with literal rose tinted glasses staggers towards me with literal outstretched hands and says to me, "free love man". I scowled and said words to the effect of, "gently caress you, pay me." So you can blame that guy for my policy change.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

reverend crabhands posted:

Aye interesting.

It's the notion that Cryengine was actually a decent choice for the original proposition that I find interesting.

Folk often slate CIG going with Cryengine but the reality is there was probably no issue with that (given the original scope).

But then scope creep, and in the rush to promise the world no technical vetting was ever done to verify what was being promised was actually acheiveable.

I mean if you can do one base, then why not 100 in 100 systems, it's all just more of the same right?

You can see this line of thinking when Chris talked about networking.

I don't have the link but I remember him talking about getting 10 in an instance, then 20 then 50 then 100, then jumping to 1000 and even 10,000. Like it's just more of the same.... easy!

SC really does seem to be a case of Chris Roberts not understanding game development.

I know the people I talked to back in 2012/2013 that had experience in game engines said they'd pick Unreal over CryEngine any day for a new project like Star Citizen. Their rationale was that Unreal was proven and had a robust number of tools already developed including a lot of 3rd party tools. Need netcode? There are a several options to start from with Unreal. This meant less time having to reinvent the wheel as the CryEngine ecosystem was far less developed. And they said while a bit more work on the artists Unreal could be made to look just as good in the graphics department. Thing is I think with 5 years of additional development Unreal can look better than the version of CryEngine they are using. Also there was a much larger talent pool of existing developers for Unreal. Of Course this was back when they were 50 man operation. I still think back when the scope of the game was a star lancer or Privateer scale game on modern systems with multi-player/MMO thrown in the mix would have been doable. But we've gone from a game that could have been GTA in space to Second Life in Space and that just isn't going to appeal to as many people.

Although some people I believe want Star Citizen to be a virtual replacement for their real lives...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ode to 3.0

Understand the bugs I have, don't turn away from me,
'Cause I've spent half this year out there, beeing crunched on.
Do you see me? Do you see? Do you like me?
Do you like my version number? Do you notice?
Do you know? Do you see me? Do you see me?
Does anyone care?

Unhappiness where's when I was 2.5,
And we didn't give a drat,
'Cause we were poo poo out,
To see release as fun and take it if we can.
Dear Sandi, dear Sandi,
She hates me, even when I'm not out there,
Dear Chris, dear Chris
He likes me, oh, he likes me. Does anyone care?

Understand what I've become, it wasn't my design.
And people ev'rywhere think, something better than I am.
But I miss you, I miss, 'cause I liked it,
'Cause I liked it, when I was in dev. Do you know this?
Do you know you did not find me. You did not find.
Does anyone care?

Unhappiness where's when I was 2.5,
And we didn't give a drat,
'Cause we were poo poo out,
To see release as fun and take it if we can.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fundtrackers don't lie:

Your working eye always looks towards the ground
Your ears seem to follow the sound

And nobody knows your hunger

Your hands hold each other so tight
They break to push the hair away from your eyes

Your lips part to eat a little more
Your eyelashes wish their way to the floor

tuo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 23, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ha, did the twitch stream just get nuked?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Beet just got his Twitch channel suspended? Again?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Seriously? Why?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

tuo posted:

Seriously? Why?

Bunch of citizens got real mad that we were watching 10 for the chairman and talking poo poo about Star Citizen. It wasn't Beet's stream, though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's like whatever path we choose in this life the shitizens are out to extinguish it

Don't tell me how to talk or what to stream
gently caress that poo poo, gently caress that poo poo
Every time Derek's right a little part of you die
Should I ever be punished for getting a refund?
It was made for those who can't dream for themselves

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen - Tactical Map (COMMUNITY MADE TOOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNobqPs-B5c

The UEE Tactical Communication Interface is out. Allowing fleet commanders to pre-vision a fleets formation before an operation. Plan your operations with this unique tool created by AIVI.

TheXPGamers posted:

Your basically just regurgitating really old arguments. It's clear you didn't even bother to watch the video when you say "all they release is this useless tactical interface" when I clearly stated multiple times this is fan made. The game is playable now in a very early form. We've hosted multiple very fun game nights in the alpha and will do even more nights in the upcoming 3.0 release. If your not interested in the game or its development and have written it off.. why bother running to Star Citizen videos to comment about your dislike for it?

C.R. is attempting something fairly massive. The community voted massively in favor to expand the scope of the game after the Kickstarter.
Hes doing that.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 23, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Bunch of citizens got real mad that we were watching 10 for the chairman and talking poo poo about Star Citizen. It wasn't Beet's stream, though
I guess someone is going around and reporting every single Star Citizen streamer as Spam, Scams, or Other Malicious Content

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Foo Diddley posted:

If you spam report something they automatically take it down. They do it to youtube vids and reddit topics too.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

HycoCam posted:

I guess someone is going around and reporting every single Star Citizen streamer as Spam, Scams, or Other Malicious Content

I mean if other streamers are allowed to watch ATV or whatever and comment on it, why is a goon not allowed ?

Sounds like they're just angry someone is bringing more public view to the mess that is CIG

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

The UEE Tactical Communication Interface is out. Allowing fleet commanders to pre-vision a fleets formation before an operation. Plan your operations with this unique tool created by AIVI.

I'm so glad that there's a tool that lets me plan out fleet operations in a game that hasn't implemented fleets, operations, or combat that doesn't consist of just flying in a circle

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

BloodyScab posted:

If you spam report something they automatically take it down. They do it to youtube vids and reddit topics too.
Makes me wonder how any of the Star Citizen channels exist--tagging as Scam.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

HycoCam posted:

BloodyScab posted:

Sappo569 posted:

I mean if other streamers are allowed to watch ATV or whatever and comment on it, why is a goon not allowed ?

Sounds like they're just angry someone is bringing more public view to the mess that is CIG

The reason was that there was a clip in there of another streamer (specifically, it was one of pgabz' videos that had a streamer in it), and apparently that is Against The Rules:

quote:

KT replied:
Hello this_game_is_dead_already,

Your account was suspended for re-broadcasting or co-streaming another channel without the broadcaster’s permission. This type of content is not permitted on our services per our Terms of Service section 9.1, and our Community Guidelines regarding “Unauthorized Content Sharing & Other Copyright Violations”.

Your account is now unsuspended and you are free to use our services once again, but further violating our Terms of Service or Community Guidelines may result in an indefinite suspension of your accounts.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So they were all watching it then

LOL

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

The reason was that there was a clip in there of another streamer (specifically, it was one of pgabz' videos that had a streamer in it), and apparently that is Against The Rules:

But.... did they ask pgabz if he gave them permission?

I assume they just close a channel without looking into it first, if they get enough spam messages

And investigate later on after the dust has settled

Edit: wait I mis-read, the video had a different streamer in it... makes sense now then. So it must have been said streamer in the video that was watching it and complained

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

PS: What happened to the weekly burn down and schedule update etc? No one posted it so I can only assume they just didn't release one

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

So they were all watching it then

LOL

All 17

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sappo569 posted:

So it must have been said streamer in the video that was watching it and complained

No I'm pretty sure it was just random citizens. Unless you think they're above reporting infringement of content that isn't their own

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Was it rebroadcasting a Twitch stream or playing a youtube video of a twitch stream? Seems that once the twitch stream hits youtube--it is no longer a Twitch stream...

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Sappo569 posted:

PS: What happened to the weekly burn down and schedule update etc? No one posted it so I can only assume they just didn't release one

they did theres just like 0 content in it. They moved some more stuff to TBD. They aren't even feature complete yet.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

HycoCam posted:

Was it rebroadcasting a Twitch stream or playing a youtube video of a twitch stream? Seems that once the twitch stream hits youtube--it is no longer a Twitch stream...

No you can watch youtube on twitich streams. One of toms videos had an image of a streamer and thats not allowed.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm so glad that there's a tool that lets me plan out fleet operations in a game that hasn't implemented fleets, operations, or combat that doesn't consist of just flying in a circle

"The community voted massively in favor to expand the scope of the game after the Kickstarter."

Little did they know they'd be the ones developing the features.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Which development house is struggling so much they'll build my demo for me for free if I promise to give them a cut of the sales?

I just pictured Crytek taking a desperate gamble that Crobberts would get a game out in the two years he promised he would and save Crytek through royalties.

They seriously bet on the wrong horse if that was the case.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Even from beyond the grave my Youtube account claims another scalp

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Even from beyond the grave my Youtube account claims another scalp

We really need 3.0 so we can force you to jump into that trash heap again

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Realtalk, if the bare wasteland of space that they have right now is 40+GB on your HD, what are we looking at if they're really releasing three realistically scaled moons with actual stuff to do on it?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

"The community voted massively in favor to expand the scope of the game after the Kickstarter."

The scope of the game during the kickstarter was a first person universe with millions of players on a single shard galaxy server interacting through dynamic battle instances, 50 star systens with new ones added every 2 weeks, real physics/fidelity, a modern Wing Commander like singleplayer tie-in with celebrities and co-op, 10x the poly count of a current AAA games, immersion, no p2w, and probably a lot more dreams.

If Chris went feature insane, it happened almost immediately.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Taintrunner posted:

Didn't watch the video, but is it something where some random guy/team made a better product than CIG again?

I wonder if the fleets max out at 12 players, maybe. Because the biggest fleet sc will ever have is what it has now: people dreaming of fleets but no actual fleet(s haha) in the game.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Wuxi posted:

Realtalk, if the bare wasteland of space that they have right now is 40+GB on your HD, what are we looking at if they're really releasing three realistically scaled moons with actual stuff to do on it?

By the time there's realistic scale moons hard drives will be obsolete.

You'll just plug Star Citizen directly into your eyeballs and up your genitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Latin Pheonix”" post="“476693318”"]
I just pictured Crytek taking a desperate gamble that Crobberts would get a game out in the two years he promised he would and save Crytek through royalties.

They seriously bet on the wrong horse if that was the case.
[/quote]

I'm willing to bet this was exactly the case. CR can talk a mean game as a salesman. It's the implementation and delivery where he utterly fails at.

This kills the Crytek.