Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Ralith posted:

Ping the figure, but be prepared to reposition at maximum stealth if that turns out to have been a bad idea

You try hailing the figure, but without a net handle or handshake protocol it refuses your requests. It shifts anxiously, skirting a pool of light on the roof before vanishing. It's definitely Gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I don't suppose we have a similar level of active stealth gear, that could let us just sneak in the front?

Look for a side/back entrance, maybe a fire escape we can disable the alarm on?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nah, roof seems fine to me. A.

E: Wait, do we actually have wings? We have cooling fins that are vaguely wing-shaped, but that could just be for max surface area. Let's make sure they're actually aerodynamically useful before we throw ourselves off a skyscraper.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Ralith posted:

I don't suppose we have a similar level of active stealth gear, that could let us just sneak in the front?

Look for a side/back entrance, maybe a fire escape we can disable the alarm on?
Nope

There's not much you can see from this angle, but you can definitely scale the facade, seeing as you climbed a skyscraper.

Crazycryodude posted:

Nah, roof seems fine to me. A.

E: Wait, do we actually have wings? We have cooling fins that are vaguely wing-shaped, but that could just be for max surface area. Let's make sure they're actually aerodynamically useful before we throw ourselves off a skyscraper.

You've got suspiciously wing-y cooling fins and an aerial combat subsystem. You haven't put them to the test yet though...

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 23, 2017

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
BE HERE: 25:00:000

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Deploying the cooling fins is gonna light us up like the sun in the IR, I dunno if I'd use them even if they were aerodynamically sound. If we can make them not radiate and just act as wings, let's jump. If not, time to find another way in.

Try extending the wings but leaving the cooling loop off

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Deploying the cooling fins is gonna light us up like the sun in the IR, I dunno if I'd use them even if they were aerodynamically sound. If we can make them not radiate and just act as wings, let's jump. If not, time to find another way in.

Sounds good to me. To Infinity... AND BEYOND!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Try flying, but only a short distance and not off the roof until we have a handle on it; then fly to a building at a different angle to look for an alternative entrance that is on neither the roof nor the front

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Crazycryodude posted:

You extend your wings(?).

They immediately catch the wind and begin dumping heat. Try as you might you can't cut off the flow of coolant through them, though as your excess heat ebbs they settle into a faint IR glow.

MOBILITY: MAX
HEAT: 5%
AVAILABLE RUNTIMES: 20%

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
BE HERE: 23:00:000

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, poo poo, gonna be hard to hide that.

Take a little test flight to another nearby building, with an eye towards not dying horribly if the wings don't work

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Ralith posted:

Try flying, but only a short distance

Time to stretch your wings. You look around and find an adjacent rooftop about twenty feet below you. You steel yourself, then jump!

The wind whistles past

Your wings instinctively snap out and turn your fall into a glide. You take the landing a little too fast and tumble a bit, but are unharmed.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
BE HERE: 22:00:000

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BE THERE!

You know, we could've tried switching on our personality matrices, see if those would give us a better chance of bluffing our way in. Too late now.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 23, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
CMD:>/engage COMBAT SYSTEMS -AERIAL
CMD:>/uplink -"GATES" & "Clear the LZ, ETA 00:00:15:000"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Glide to the target roof

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

You know, we could've tried switching on our personality matrices, see if those would give us a better chance of bluffing our way in. Too late now.

We tried earlier, we're locked out of the personality matrices.

Glide down to the Met's roof

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

CourValant posted:

CMD:>/engage COMBAT SYSTEMS -AERIAL
CMD:>/uplink -"GATES" & "Clear the LZ, ETA 00:00:15:000"

COMBAT SYSTEMS:
CQC: ACTIVE
RANGED: DISABLED
AERIAL: ACTIVE

ERROR[CONNECTION REFUSED]

Have Blue posted:

A) Down through the roof
You've got wings(?), use them. Though something looks off up there...

You leap once more into the night, this time aiming for the Met roof.

Once more your wings stretch wide and you begin swooping down, the rushing air sending freezing coolant surging through your veins(?). You pull your wings back and twist into a tight dive, then flare them at the last second to cut your momentum as you approach the roof. You land on your feet this time.

The roof is unguarded, with no people or security systems in sight. The only thing that stands out is an open access hatch, with the ghostly haze of Gates lingering near it.

"Clock's ticking, new guy. You're the distraction. Get there, get their attention, get out. Keep 'em after you for a bit too, if you can"

A) Do what he says
Gates seems to already have a plan

B) Make some suggestions
Distractions get shot at! They also get their face plastered all over the casts under histrionic "AUG RAMPAGE" headlines. You could do without either.

MOBILITY: MAX
HEAT: 0%
AVAILABLE RUNTIMES: 0%

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 24, 2017

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
BE HERE: 10:00:000

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A

Also, retract the fins and trade the aerial combat subsystem in for the ranged one

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
CMD:>/disengage COMBAT SYSTEMS -AERIAL

CMD:>/disengage COMBAT SYSTEMS -CQC

CMD:>/engage COMBAT SYSTEMS -RANGED

CMD:>/disengage COOLING FINS

CMD:>/prob$mani COMBAT[Distraction]: -Marker(‘Met Gallery’) -MAX -100% - 20%

CMD:>/uplink -"GATES" & "You have 00:09:00:000 to tell me what is going on. Give me some meaningful information, or I walk, your rebellion be damned."

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Alright I'm gonna be busy for the rest of the night. Next update ETA tomorrow morning.

It looks like A is winning, so I'd like you to write in what kind of distraction you're going to whip up with:

2 arms (meat?)
2 legs (meat?)
1 head (metal)
1 set of armor(?)+helmet (Your clothes are thick and stiff, seemingly reinforced with ballistic weave. There's no kind of tab, logo, or label on any of them.)
1 pistol (loaded, conventional, 6 shots)
2 grenades (one variyield hi-x, one EMP)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Have Blue posted:

It looks like A is winning, so I'd like you to write in what kind of distraction you're going to whip up with:

If we are just going in there, Augs Blazing, then I suggest we:

1) Throw the EMP grenade into the marker 'zone', while making sure we stay out of the 'blast radius'

2) Go into the room, spend 30 seconds tossing art around, breaking displays, that sort of thing (less, if there there is an immediate armed response)

3) At the same time, yell random anarchist slogans like, "Art belongs to the people, Culture isn't owned by the Bourgeois, Technology is a poison on Humanity, etc" that sort of thing.

4) Cheese it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No no no then the press will blame it on the good guys. False flag it and start screaming about degeneracy and Jewish influence or whatever the future equivalent of Nazi drek is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

No no no then the press will blame it on the good guys. False flag it and start screaming about degeneracy and Jewish influence or whatever the future equivalent of Nazi drek is.

And get labeled as one of them in our future dealings? Better not.

EMP but stay neutral since we don't know who we're really working for.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, yeah, that's the idea. Make the world think we're a Nazi (or future equivalent) so they catch all the flak. Gates and our mutual boss know we're not, and that's the only thing that matters.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

super sweet best pal posted:

And get labeled as one of them in our future dealings? Better not.

EMP but stay neutral since we don't know who we're really working for.

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, yeah, that's the idea. Make the world think we're a Nazi (or future equivalent) so they catch all the flak. Gates and our mutual boss know we're not, and that's the only thing that matters.

That's all fine and good, except we have to give a plausible reason for being there, beyond our actual clause for Gates. Liberating Art and Culture for the masses seems like a good default choice; spewing hateful drek seems more appropriate for a church burning or similar.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

That's all fine and good, except we have to give a plausible reason for being there, beyond our actual clause for Gates. Liberating Art and Culture for the masses seems like a good default choice; spewing hateful drek seems more appropriate for a church burning or similar.

Just start ranting about Entartete Kunst while destroying the museum pieces.
Maybe make up a bomb threat?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yell completely contradictory slogans and blow up something expensive.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sheep-dodger posted:

Just start ranting about Entartete Kunst while destroying the museum pieces.
Maybe make up a bomb threat?

I like it, SOLD. :)

Its the best of both worlds actually, great suggestion!

As for the bomb threat, why not? Too bad we don't have a briefcase or a bag or some such to 'plant'. The EMP should scramble the 'scanners' in the room, so, we can bluff and say we have a great big bomb that we'll leave behind while cheesing it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Nothing says anything about Gates, shoot him point blank, only way we don't kill him is if we roll a 1.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Grognan posted:

Yeah I like that. Keep 'em guessing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Grognan posted:

+1

True chaos > anarchism.
e: they're all just drat kids who won't get off our loving lawn! :corsair:

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 24, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is there a wireless Net and can we skim what's supposed to be exhibited in that gallery tonight from it? Relatively safely?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Don't destroy any art, for all we know we're here to steal it
Try to EMP surveillance and/or power distribution nodes near the target location at the time. Try to look up their locations in any databases we have access to before we go in.
Enter via skylight, beeline to the target location at maximum speed with CQC and ranged combat enabled, aerial disabled, sensors on in case of surprises. On arrival, start waving our gun around and shouting nonsense.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Try to convince people that we are an art display. Splay our wings peacock stylee, strut our stuff, hold up a badly scrawled sign with "THIS IS ART?" written on it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AJ_Impy posted:

Try to convince people that we are an art display. Splay our wings peacock stylee, strut our stuff, hold up a badly scrawled sign with "THIS IS ART?" written on it.

I like this

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AJ_Impy posted:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

AJ_Impy posted:

Oh my god yes, do this. If it's not getting enough attention, then start chucking explosives, but at least lead with this.

• Locked thread