Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hello and welcome to my SSLP of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift! In which a young man is torn from his summer vacation to go on a magical adventure, make friends and slaughter his away across the country.

What's this?
Released in 2007 (JP) / 2008 (NA and PAL) for the Nintendo DS, FFTA2 (as I will be writing it) is a turn-based Strategy-RPG developed and published by Square Enix. It's a sequel (sort of) to the 2003 game Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which is itself based (loosely) on 1997's Final Fantasy Tactics. FFTA was a major departure from FFT when it comes to plot, and FFTA2 goes even further. There's none of the moral ambiguity or "are we the baddies?" undertones found in FFTA. What we do get is more of the isometric strategy experience with new jobs, new races and new abilities. In my opinion, it's a big improvement over FFTA, though it definitely has some problems.

I'm going for an informative/completionist LP. We'll be completing every mission, recruiting every secret character, and trying out as many classes as we can. Yes, that means I will be doing that section of the game. It's a long game, with over 300+ missions total! Expect 70+ hours of gameplay.

+There are exactly 301 missions in the game.

My goal is one update per week, though some updates will be lighter information dumps talking about the jobs, races, gameplay and so on. This is going to take a while.

Who are you?
I'm Solumin, and this is my first LP! Yes, I realize choosing this as my first LP means I have severe problems with things like "making good choices" and "maintaining my health and sanity." But I like FFTA and FFTA2, and despite several attempts over the past decade, there's still no LP of FFTA2 on the archive. It's a worthy endeavor!

Do I need to know anything about FFT or FFTA?
Nope! There's really no connection between FFT and FFTA/2, and the connection between FFTA and FFTA2 is loose at best. I'll explain the basic mechanics as they come up, along with the differences between FFTA and FFTA2.

If you're interested, Orange Fluffy Sheep did a couple great LPs of FFT and FFTA, which are on the archive. I highly recommend them.

DO NOT POST SPOILERS. If you have a question about something that you aren't sure is a spoiler, go ahead and ask with tags. But please don't talk about future plot points, characters, dungeons, etc. I like this game a lot and I'd like to give it at least some respect.

I'd like to see more Isometric Strategy JRPGs!
Well, there are the aforementioned LPs of Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactice Advance by Orange Fluffy Sheep. You could also look for LPs of the Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre games, which are all the brain-children of Yasumi Matsuno. Or for something a little different, there's Pokemon Conquest by Crosspiece.

A note for the archive: Yeah, there are a lot of updates here! Updates 1 to 37 cover the main story arc of the game with a good selection of side quests, while 38 - 75 are all the other quests and end-game dungeons. There are a couple informative posts that give some useful information about the game, plus a series of updates where I discuss the various jobs in the game. You might find those useful, but you should be able to follow along without them.

Updates:
1: Take a Look, It's in a Book
2: Am I My Trapper's Keeper?
3: Cat Ears: the Anime Avatars of Ivalice
4: Found a Job
5: Trials and Tribulations
6: Why Not Just Use Cure?
7: There's no Mist without Dragons
8: Auction Season
9: Good Company
10: Shellfish, Ninjas and Airships
11: Swamp of the Living Dead
12: Found Another Job
13: Nightmares and Flashbacks
14: Found Yet Another Job
15: Pirate Rescue!
16: Jagd Little Pill
17: Mrs Blue Sky
18: Entomology for Fun and Profit
19: Thieves, Healers and Backstabbers
20: Digging Too Deep
21: The Immortal's Choice
22: I Can't Believe I Already Used "Am I My Trapper's Keeper"
23: Duelhorn, Part 1
24: Duelhorn, Part 2
25: Duelhorn, Part 3: The Fall of Duelhorn
26: The Tale of Frimelda Lotice
27: Have at Thee, Ham-planks!
28: The Bonga Bugle, Part 1: Ethical Journalism, Shmethical Shmournalism
29: The Bonga Bugle, Part 2: Journalism Edition
30: The Bonga Bugle, Part 3: How is this paper still around?
31: This Update Is Mostly About Sentient Rocks
32: Primo Ladro, or A Thieving Obsession
33: Adelaide and the Five Kings
34: Bazaar Rewards
35: Don't Get Lost In Heaven, Part 1
36: Don't Get Lost In Heaven, Part 2
37: Demon Days
38: The Adventure Continues
39: Revenge of the Cake
40: Obligatory Tournament Arc, Part 1
41: Obligatory Tournament Arc, Part 2
42: Obligatory Tournament Arc, Part 3
43: Obligatory Tournament Arc, Part 4
44: The Witch of the Fens
45: Prima Donna and the Case of the Chocobo's Talon
46: The Clan Sawyer Pet Agency
47: Fashionable Weapons
48: Fighting for Privileges
49: Tinker, Trickster, Soldier, Agent
50: In Which Adventures are Had
51: Mini Update: Clan Overview
52: Magick Airship Ride
53: Bounty Hunting
54: Bounty Hunting, Part 2: Ultimate Bounty
55: Brightmoon Tor: First Watch
56: A Poisonous Bounty
57: Monstrous Fish
58: Feathers and Foozles
59: Five Kings and Digging Deep
60: I Need Your Strongest Potions
61: craigslist > ivalice > loar > camoa
62: Brightmoon Tor: Second Watch
63: Playful Raid
64: The Adventurer's Field Guide to Loar
65: The Adventurer's Field Guide to Ordallia
66: The Art of the Blade
67: The Game is Afoot
68: The Volcanoes of Ivalice
69: Love, Friendship and Speed Battles
70: In Pursuit of Poachers
71: A Mobile Feast
72: The Feud of the Foothills
73: Brightmoon Tor: Third Watch
74: A Martyr to Memories
75: The Final Quest

Informative Posts:
The Races of Ivalice
Jobs 101

Job Roundups:
1: Starter Jobs 1: Soldier, Warrior, White Monk
2: Starter Jobs 2: White Mage, Black Mage, Thief
3: Starter Jobs 3: Animist, Archer, Fencer
4: Early-Game Unlocks: Green Mage, Beastmaster, Dragoon
5: The Color of Magick: Blue Mage, Red Mage
6: Ultima Power: Hunter, Sage, Assassin
7: Unusual Magicks: Bishop, Time Mage, Alchemist
8: Hidden Arts: Ninja, Sniper, Elementalist
9: Guns & Gears: Fusilier, Cannoneer, Tinker
10: Knights of Ivalice: Moogle Knights, Defenders and Paladins
11: Bad Job Teardown: Scholar, Flintlock, Arcanist, Chocobo Knight
12: Physical Might: Fighter, Parivir, Master Monk
13: Job Seeq-er: Ranger, Viking, Berserker, Lanista
14: Might and Magick: Gladiator, Templar, Spellblade
15: Soul Music and Memories: Bard, Heritor
16: Swords, Magick and Dragons: Geomancer, Ravager, Raptor
17: Magick Power: Summoner, Illusionist, Seer
18: Fool's Paradise: Juggler, Trickster
19: The FFXII Camoes: Dancer, Sky Pirate, Agent

Solumin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This post reserved for any extra stuff!

Edit 2019-06-06: lol guess I never needed this then

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 7, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 1: Take a Look, It's In a Book

In This Update:
- We meet our intrepid protagonist.
- A name for a hero is written.
- The adventure begins!

---

We've a long, glorious summer vacation ahead of us. Let's get started, shall we?

In-game dialogue will be in normal text. Comments from me will be in italics.

It's a Final Fantasy game, so of course Square Enix is responsible.

Basiscape is the company founded by Hitoshi Sakimoto, composer for this game and other titles, including Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII.

The Ivalice Alliance is a group of related games, all set in the world of Ivalice. It's not really important, but I might talk about it in a later post.

Welcome to Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift!
The "A2" doesn't actually stand for anything. They couldn't call it "Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2" because it's not really a sequel to FFTA and it's not on the Game Boy Advance.

We're playing on Normal difficulty. Hard mode is very lazy, it adds nothing to the game besides buffing the enemies.

Let the adventure begin!

---

: I'm out the door as soon as the teacher stops talking. Summer homework: keep a journal. That's not too bad. Better write my name on my notebook before I forget.

Meet Luso Clemens, the hero of our story. We can change his first name, if we want. I'd prefer to stick with the default name, but I'm open to suggestions!

: Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about homework. Just, it could be worse. And I can already guess what my first entry's going to be:
"Summer Vacation, Day 1: Aunt chewed me out. Grounded for a week."

: Maybe this journal thing's not such a great idea after all. Oh, we got another assignment, due today: "My Summer Vacation." We're supposed to write our goals for the summer. Well, here goes...

We take a little multiple-choice quiz. It unlocks something little later later down the road, but is otherwise pointless. These 3 answers give us the best result.

: (I promise not to let the dog eat my homework... Maybe I can find a cat.)
Heh, that all sounds pretty convincing. Summer vacation, here I come!
...Not that I have any idea what I'm doing this summer. But, I guess not having any expectations isn't all bad.
I mean, whatever ends up happening, it'll be a surprise!

: Have a good summer. Class dismissed!

There's an excited murmur in the air as the students leave class for the last time this year.
As an aside, I love how detailed the scenery is. This game's art is detailed and lively -- it's one of my favorite things about it.

Luso, well, he isn't the best student, and it sounds like his home life isn't too great either. He at least seems to have some friends, which is not common for school-aged JRPG protagonists.

: Sorry, but your vacation doesn't start quite yet. Your friends are going home, but you're going straight to the library, young man.

: Aw, c'mon, Mr. Blair! Why?

: Let's take a trip down memory lane... to this morning! When you were late to my class for the - how many times is it now?

: That would be... I don't know.

: Enough times that you've forgotten, apparently! Luso... You're not a bad student by any means. But, occasionally, you require a little... correction, shall we say.
Which is why, I have decided to put you in charge of cleaning up the library. Maybe a little straightening up there will straighten you out, too.

: Look, I see what you're trying to do here. But the last day of school? You gotta be kidding! I mean, it's summer vacation!

: Vacations are to be earned. And you've got a lot of earning to do, my boy. Mr. Randell's down in the library. Don't keep him waiting.

: ...

: And don't even think about loafing off or sneaking out. Not unless you want me to pay a visit to your house.

: ...Yes, Mr. Blair. Well, see ya!
Oh, and I hope you have a really, really great summer vacation.

Luso is 90% sarcasm. Seriously.

Despite his initial whining, Luso heads to the library.

Seriously, look at all the little details!

: Huh? I thought Mr. Randell was supposed to be here.

Luso, nosy parker that he is, pokes around the library before stopping at the table. He opens the music box, which plays a cheerful but slightly wistful tune.

: Check out that book! It looks older than Mr. Blair!

: Huh? That's funny. The book just stops halfway through. The pages are all blank! Let's see what the last page with writing on it says...
"One is fated to fill these barren pages. Know you his name?"

: "Know you his name"...? What's with all the backwards words? Well, I never pass up a chance to write in a library book! I'll tell you his name! "His name is... Luso Clemens!"

View this in motion!

Suddenly, everything freezes for a second, and the book starts to glow.

He is suddenly yanked out of the library by the glowing book, and falls a long, long way.

Luso will learn many useful lessons during his summer vacation.
The first: Never write in a library book.

---

Elsewhere, a forest. Three figures walk into a clearing.

For those of you unfamiliar with this series, going from left to right, we see a Viera White Mage, a Nu Mou Black Mage and a Plot-Relevant Character With a Unique Sprite.

: Oi, oi. What have we here?

The giant bird caws at the strangers.

: Why is it always the vicious ones that pay the worst? 250 gil is barely enough to pay for our time sweeping up the feathers when we're done.

Rendered immobile by its overwhelming girth, the feathered monstrosity caws at the strangers again.

: What, you hungry? Sorry, but I've got higher aspirations than becoming chicken feed. Hop to it then!

The three fighters ready themselves for battle--

View this in motion!

Luso's appearance stuns the beast and the three strangers.

: M-Mr. Randell!?

Bird: CAW!

: You there!

: Ack! Who are you!? You're n-not even human!

: Calm yourself, stranger. We'll protect you, if you'll let us. Join our clan now if you care to live. I hardly need to spell out the alternative.

: Join your what!?

: Our clan. You may be injured, but if you are in our clan, you will not die.

: Why should I trust you?

The bird is starting to recover and screeches loudly.

: Yikes!

: Because I can guarantee you'll get no such offer from him!

Got to hand it to Luso: he manages to mostly keep his head despite the situation. First the magical book, then the giant chicken, and now a guy with a mullet and horns is inviting him to join a clan. That's a lot to handle at once.

Though now that I think about it, "Come with me if you want to live" is usually pretty effective, isn't it.

: Swear your oath to the Judge. Say you'll join the clan!

The other two strangers step back, and Blondie McMullet pulls out a card.

View this in motion!

FFTA2 kept the sprite art of FFTA, but it adds a lot of neat visuals and particle effects. I'll show them off where I can.

: That's... a judge?

: Quickly, before the beast has time to act!

: Hey, um, Judge! I swear the oath! Let me in the clan!

Eloquent as always, kiddo.

The Judge raises their sword, and both it and Luso are engulfed in blinding columns of light.

After a moment, the light fades. The Judge is gone, but Luso remains.

Now that is a JRPG makeover!

The ambulatory chicken dinner is no longer stunned, and two side dishes enter the battlefield.

: You're going to fight them?

: Once you stand back as I've told you, yes.

: Hey, let me take a swing at them! I swore my oath. That means I can't die, right?

: Harrumph! Spoken like a true greenhorn! No, you will not die, but get a beak in your eye and you might wish you had.

:stonk:

: Well, I didn't mean I'd go in first or anything. And I'm no fan of getting beaked... But I won't just stand here while you do all the hard work. C'mon, let me fight!

: Hrm... I did not intend to make you fight when I invited you to join us, however... You promise to do exactly as I say?

: Promise!

: Then you may fight. I am Cid. And you are?

: Luso.

: Very well, Luso. We begin!

The tutorial fight finally begins. Klesta, the giant round chicken thing, is our target.

Laws make a return from FFTA, but they're somewhat different. For one, they're based on the quest, not on the day of the month. This one is impossible to break, thankfully.

There's some lore about the laws and Judges, but we'll get into that later. Practically speaking, following the law gets us three benefits:
1. At the end of the battle, we are given 1 - 3 rewards, like equipment or loot.
2. We're allowed to revive any teammates who are KO'd.
3. We are empowered by a Clan Privilege, minor passive buffs that last the whole battle. There isn't one active for this fight, but we'll see them soon.

Break the law, and these benefits are gone. You will get no extra loot, and you lose your clan privilege and can't revive allies for the rest of the battle. The law is well worth following.

And we're off!

Except this is the tutorial battle, so we get a ton of info dumped on us. Our clanmates explain the basic mechanics:

1. Characters' speed determines the move order.
2. Take into consideration the terrain of the battlefield.
3. You can move and perform an action on your turn.
4. Not moving and/or not taking an action makes your next turn come sooner.
5. The race and job of a character both influence speed. (More on that later!)
6. You can choose which direction your character faces at the end of their turn. This is called their "facing", and influences the damage and accuracy of attacks made against them.

Our white mage moves up the hill, near the black mage. White Mages are primarily healers, and there's nothing for her to do since the battle just started.

Actions are things characters can do besides move, such as attacking with a weapon or using an ability. Black mages can use black magick, like the "Fire" spell. Some abilities, like all spells, require Magick Points (MP). You have 0 at the start of the fight, and you gain 10 per turn.

This is a huge nerf from FFTA and makes magick users a bit harder to use. Some fun and easy ways to get around this will open up to us later in the game.

Our black mage moves closer to Klesta and casts Fire on it.

: Think of me as a "guest" in your midst. I might not take orders, but we're on the same side. Try not to forget that in the heat of battle!

Cid is a Guest, an ally that we can't control. We'll be seeing a lot of them throughout the game, and a few of them will actually be useful!
Cid also hints that friendly fire is a thing. You can target and attack your allies, though you probably shouldn't.

We also get introduced to large enemies, like Klesta. They take up a 3x3 square and don't move. It's a neat feature that works great for some monster bosses, but it has some serious limitations.

Cid body slams Klesta, because he's badass like that.

Body Slam is a strong attack, but it deals damage back to the user.

We can also go into "selection mode" before moving, allowing us to inspect the battlefield and look at every unit. Here's the information page for Luso.
On the top screen is the unit's name, number and job. Below that are stats -- Luso is level 1, of course. I'll go into detail about stats later. On the right side we can see Luso's equipment and abilities. "Arts of War" is the Soldier's ability set, and Luso's second A-Ability (Action ability) lets him use items. His R-Ability (Reaction) and P-ability (Passive) slots are empty.
On the bottom screen, we see the summary card on the bottom left, a description of his job in the middle, and a menu for checking more detailed information on the right. "Status" lists all the buffs and debuffs on the character.

We can also use this screen to look at enemies' abilities and equipment. I usually don't bother, because why strategize when I can just attack?

Luso moves up next to Cid and attacks Klesta. We're ignoring the two little butterballs, since they really aren't dangerous.

Klesta, despite being immobile, is dangerous. Its attacks have a huge range and a 2x2 AoE with heavy damage. All of the large enemies have attacks like this, which makes them feel very similar to each other; big piles of HP with large area attacks get boring quickly.

It literally stomps on your head. Painful.

And it hurts. That's over half our health!

But no worries, it's Soo's turn again! Cure is the basic heal spell in the game, as is Final Fantasy tradition. It won't undo all of the damage from Klesta, but it helps.

Also, we probably can't die during this section. FFTA2 is nice like that sometimes.

The battle continues. Klesta stomps on a few more heads, the little chickens peck at us, and we keep focusing Klesta. 33 damage is pretty good at this point in the game -- this is the black magick "Blizzard" spell.

It doesn't take too long to force Klesta to flee. Smell ya later!

: Yeah! That wasn't so bad!

We don't have to kill the little ones, the battle ends after Klesta leaves.

The XP reward screen. Most fights give 60 XP, plus a bonus depending on how well the individual character did. XP scales with your level -- easy fights will give only meager experience.

And the law bonus! We get a Longbow, useful for Archers. The reward is not related to the law, as far as I know, but this first battle is pre-determined.

: Um, Cid? Do you think you could, erm...

: Do not worry. I didn't invite you to join our clan just to abandon you in the wild.

: You mean you'll take me with you? Thanks! I got so caught up in the fight, I kind of forgot... But now that I think of it, I don't have any idea where I am.

Luso really hit the ground running. Doesn't even know where he is, but it only took him five minutes to pick up a weapon and start attacking the natives.

: And I have questions to ask of you. Beginning with how you managed to appear from the empty skies.

Forbidden: Vandalism. Recommended: Cleaning Libraries. Those red cards are powerful.

Luso's stomach growls.

: Ah... I kind of skipped lunch today...

: Ha ha ha! Very well. First order of business is to go home and eat. Then, we talk.

Thus ends Luso's first battle in Ivalice.

The quest reward screen. We get a quest reward (separate from the law bonus), in this case some money and basic loot (essentially crafting materials). Ability Points (AP) are used to learn Abilities. Clan Points (CP) are a currency with a few special uses. Negotiation, Aptitude, Teamwork and Adaptability are our clan's stats; some quests have clan stat requirements that you must meet before you can take them.

Here's the map. The top screen is a summary of our current clan, quests and stats. At the bottom is the date, the 20th of Goldsun. On the bottom screen, we see the weather (raining) and our location (Targ Wood) in the top left. The blue "!" bubble indicates there's a story event at the town, which is where we're headed next.

---

Inside the pub, Luso and Cid are sitting down to a post-battle meal.

: Hey, I was more surprised than you were. Finding myself in the middle of the woods with that chicken thing and you, Cid... I mean, you're not human! Or a "hume", was it?

Luso is a little rough around the edges but he learns quickly. Cid certainly isn't a hume -- the game treats him as a bangaa, though he obviously isn't a lizard. He's supposedly a Rev (or Revgaji), a race from FFXII.

: Here I thought I was off to clean a library.

: Ah, but you adapted quick... or perhaps it's just that you lack a healthy sense of danger. I've never seen someone eat so well after battle!

: Hey, what can I say? When you gotta eat, you gotta eat!

: Apparently so. But I've changed the subject. You... came here, to our world of Ivalice from somewhere not of Ivalice. Through that book of yours.

: Um, yeah, that's about the size of it... So... how do I get back? My aunt worries if I'm half an hour late home from school. I have to find a way back.

: I took you in, I'll help you find a way back. Back to your world.

: You will?

: I will, lad. I expected as much when we took you into the clan.

: Well, thanks, Cid! I guess I'll do what I can to help the clan out until we find a way back. You got to admit, I pulled my weight back there in the woods, huh?
If I'm stuck here for a while, I might as well enjoy it. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of this Ivalice place.

: As I said, utterly heedless of danger.

: Heh. I try. So, all the people here are in the clan?

Luso gets up to introduce himself to the other clan members.

: Hey, I'm Luso. Thanks for letting me join you... Um, Cid... does this clan have a name? It must. C'mon, tell me!

Voting for a clan name is now open! Put your suggestions in bold. Nothing like "bonerfarts" or "dickbutt", please, and mind the 9 character limit.

: We're Clan Gully. Not that it's a name many know.

: Right, well... I'm Luso Clemens. A, uh, proud member of Clan Gully! Thanks for taking me. I hope I don't slow you down too much.

The clan gives Luso a warm welcome. The people of Ivalice are friendly! Also, he helped them attach a giant chicken, and I'm sure that endeared him to them.

: So, do clans do much else other than fight monsters?

: You'll find that most work falls along those lines... but there are other things. Available jobs, which we call "quests", are posted at the local pub. There'll be time enough to show you this later.

Translation: Almost every quest will, one way or another, come back to murder.

: You mean we're done for the day?

: That's right. There's your welcoming party to attend to, after all.

: Huh?

: Barman! Refreshments for all!

---

That's it for the first update! Thank you all for reading. The next update will be up next week.

Remember to vote for the clan name! And I'll also consider any good suggestions for Luso's name. Both can be 9 characters long. Voting will be open for a few days.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Is that Montblanc from the other Ivalice games up in the top left?

Regardless of that, I'm very interested to see how this LP goes. I never managed to get very far in this game, since I lost heart after hearing that min/maxing was impossible without carefully planning out every level-up and keeping Luso at as low a level as possible. This game is not kind to completionists by any stretch of the imagination even without that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Epicmissingno posted:

Is that Montblanc from the other Ivalice games up in the top left?

Regardless of that, I'm very interested to see how this LP goes. I never managed to get very far in this game, since I lost heart after hearing that min/maxing was impossible without carefully planning out every level-up and keeping Luso at as low a level as possible. This game is not kind to completionists by any stretch of the imagination even without that.

Sharp eyes! That certainly does look like him, doesn't it.

That's one of the flaws with this game: it seems extremely replayable, but then you realize the really fun part of the game many hours away.
Min-maxing is difficult, but in my experience isn't super necessary. I'll be doing a little bit of it (e.g. recruiting Assassins to get the high base speed) but it's not really worthwhile.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have a lot of problems with FFTA2, but I think over time I've grown more charitably inclined towards it. Following this LP with interest.

Anonyman
Apr 15, 2017
Ooh, I have many fond memories of this game from my childhood (although I never quite understood all the systems - I suspect there was a *lot* of possible min-maxing I missed out on). The artstyle and spritework are, as you mentioned, particularly beautiful. I'll be following this LP closely!
(As an aside, does anyone know where I can find the in-game soundtrack? The orchestral OST is on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYV4Kp9g0v4) and is lovely, but it's a bit more elaborate than what is played in-game.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vacationing should go look into local culture and dance.

He's going to do the Clan Clan

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
You totally can die during the tutorial fight, and if you dick around trying to kill the small fries you're pretty likely to. My last run through I ended up with both mages dying and Luso at 9 HP before Klesta ran off.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I say we keep the name of Luso and name the clan Rabble for how many miscellaneous characters we'll wind up with. Also as the name of the thread indicates, there is an auction house and yes it's key to becoming more powerful than god.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Considering the kid has the name Clemens, I'd like to suggest Samuel as the name and Sawyer as the clan.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Clan Sotheby in honour of all the ludicrous auction action that will no doubt be happening.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Samuel is a great name, but I say we name the clan Badstar after the rowdiest band of fightboys and girls around.

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017
Clan Beoulve is the only answer, and voting to name Luso Ramza, It'll make it reeeeeal weird for him when he does his cameo in War of the Lions.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

S_o_S93 posted:

Clan Beoulve is the only answer, and voting to name Luso Ramza, It'll make it reeeeeal weird for him when he does his cameo in War of the Lions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I say we be the Clan Clam (or is it the Clam Clan?). No real opinion on the protag's name, default is fine I guess, making Ramza references in FFT LPs is getting kinda old though.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
I'd prefer to stay with the default name.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm glad to see all these positive responses!

FoolyCharged posted:

Vacationing should go look into local culture and dance.

He's going to do the Clan Clan

Vacationing is too long -- we only have 9 characters for the names.

Do you mean "Clan Clan" as the name I enter, so "Clan Clan Clan"? Or just "Clan Clan"?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I say we be the Clan Clam (or is it the Clam Clan?). No real opinion on the protag's name, default is fine I guess, making Ramza references in FFT LPs is getting kinda old though.

I do agree with this. FFT is a great game, but the names are old hat.

Dude might be a fun name. :allears:

kvx687 posted:

You totally can die during the tutorial fight, and if you dick around trying to kill the small fries you're pretty likely to. My last run through I ended up with both mages dying and Luso at 9 HP before Klesta ran off.

Ah, ok. I'm mostly thinking of later fights, where some characters can't die.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I loved this game when I played it, glad to see someone else playing it too. Voting for Luso to join Clan Clam.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

S_o_S93 posted:

This gets my vote.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Considering the kid has the name Clemens, I'd like to suggest Samuel as the name and Sawyer as the clan.

I like it. Another vote for Samuel Clemens to join clan Sawyer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It took me a few years but I eventually realized that I was extremely bad at this and the GBA game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

He should totally join Clan Clan.

And we need a viera at some point named Aisha.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Clan Kcikass because that's something Luso would come up with and also he's a bad student

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Solumin posted:

Vacationing is too long -- we only have 9 characters for the names.

Do you mean "Clan Clan" as the name I enter, so "Clan Clan Clan"? Or just "Clan Clan"?

Sad. Samuel then I suppose.

The latter on clan names.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Solumin posted:

If you're interested, Orange Fluffy Sheep did a couple great LPs of FFT and FFTA, which are on the archive. I highly recommend them.

[...]

There's also OrangeFluffySheep's LPs of the previous Final Fantasy Tactics games:

Jeeze, hype a guy up won't you?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Despite being something of a Tactics Advance apologist, I somehow never got around to playing the sequel. Gonna keep tabs on this thread.

Anyway, my vote's for Samuel Clemens of Clan Sawyer.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Dude of Clan Woah!.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

If for any reason than to prevent more Ramza references, gonna vote for Samuel to join Clan Sawyer.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Our protagonist is in town on vacation, clearly he should be a Harry.

And our clan must be named after the greatest clan of all, Nutsy.

S_o_S93
Jun 21, 2017

Livewire42 posted:

Dude of Clan Woah!.

actually this is pretty good

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I have no opinion because Clan Cockatrice doesn't fit.

Ivalice cockatrices are the real greatest Final Fantasy bird.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

jaclynhyde posted:

Ivalice cockatrices are the real greatest Final Fantasy bird.

1 letter off! Shame.

Voting is still open! Current result are:
Naming Luso:
Samuel 6
Luso 3
Ramza 3
Dude 1
Harry 1

Naming the Clan:
Sawyer 4
Beoulve 3
Clam 2
Clan 2
Rabble 1
Sotheby 1
Badstar 1
Kcikass 1
Woah! 1
Nutsy 1

It'll be open for another day or so. I'll probably put up the first informative update (about the races of Ivalice) tomorrow.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Jumping on the Samuel/Sawyer combo.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

jaclynhyde posted:

I would not be shocked in any way if it actually did fit, provided you were willing to edit the name in memory. A lot of games assign more memory space for names than they actually let you use.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 25, 2017

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Got to go with a vote for the clan clan clan and Ramza.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Samuel Clemens, leader of Clan Goons.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Ooh, this looks good. I have tried to play this game several times, but always give up halfway through. Maybe I'll go back and try again... I beat the FFTA a few times, so I am not sure why I am never able to get through this one.

Voting for Samuel for the name, I like the sound of it for this character and also it is my brothers name, so I am fond the name anyway!

Clan Clan sounds good to me as well.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm also gonna vote for Samuel Clemens of Clan Sawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

S_o_S93 posted:

Not emptyquoting.