Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Honestly I'd say the worst special at the moment are the Tenta Missiles. They're really not that impactful compared to the other specials.

It's still the Stingray. It got a nice buff, but it's still hit-or-miss, still locks you into the special for 8 seconds, still needs a wide area of map security to use.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's still the Stingray. It got a nice buff, but it's still hit-or-miss, still locks you into the special for 8 seconds, still needs a wide area of map security to use.

I'd have to disagree. While people definitely overvalue the Sting Ray and try to use it without thinking, it's far more effective at causing people to scatter compared to the Tenta Missiles and can be used for a variety of purposes. Against a team that knows what they're doing, Tentas are a nuisance at best and generally won't accomplish much. The leading cause of death by Tentas is really just teammates dodging into each other, which really doesn't happen with better players. That special is far more in need of a buff than the Sting Ray. The Sting Ray getting yet another buff would definitely make it overpowered without question. Hell, there's still some debate among pros about whether the new String Ray is overpowered or not.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 23, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new sting ray is fine where it is IMO, but, if they buff Tenta Missiles, and then have to buff everything else to match, youre creeping into Splatoon 1 style mega supers. I think what they have now is pretty good, every special is an annoyance, but its not an instant counter button. Except for baller, but it exists as the singular counter fucker, so it has a role. Instead of being the basis of every special design.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, the specials pretty much all feel pretty spot on now, except the baller. It's range is kinda ridiculous and basically grants the user invulnerability, which no other special has going for it. I say either reduce the durability or slightly reduce the explosion radius.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, the specials pretty much all feel pretty spot on now, except the baller. It's range is kinda ridiculous and basically grants the user invulnerability, which no other special has going for it. I say either reduce the durability or slightly reduce the explosion radius.

Apropos (but not a counter to what you're saying), I've recently discovered that the Stingray is a hard counter to the baller. It stops it dead, and you can even sweep it off ledges with the beam.

EDIT: The easiest place to pull this off is Musselforge, when a Baller tries to cross the grate bridge onto your side.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 23, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'd have to disagree. While people definitely overvalue the Sting Ray and try to use it without thinking, it's far more effective at causing people to scatter compared to the Tenta Missiles and can be used for a variety of purposes. Against a team that knows what they're doing, Tentas are a nuisance at best and generally won't accomplish much. The leading cause of death by Tentas is really just teammates dodging into each other, which really doesn't happen with better players. That special is far more in need of a buff than the Sting Ray. The Sting Ray getting yet another buff would definitely make it overpowered without question. Hell, there's still some debate among pros about whether the new String Ray is overpowered or not.

See, I think that the automatic nature of the missiles, the relative speed at which you can execute the special, and the ability to discard out of it make it better than the Stingray already. I still feel like it's effective at chasing me out of locations and breaking continuity, but I'm really only going by my personal experience.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In Training posted:

Even at S+1 my team sucks dick.

The +(#) doesn't affect matchmaking.

Have fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

See, I think that the automatic nature of the missiles, the relative speed at which you can execute the special, and the ability to discard out of it make it better than the Stingray already. I still feel like it's effective at chasing me out of locations and breaking continuity, but I'm really only going by my personal experience.

All those downsides of the Sting Ray just punish people for using it recklessly, which is a good thing now because it now it has far more utility than before. Before patch 1.3.0, the penalties it imposed were really not worth what the special gave (Though players who were good with pre-1.3.0 Sting Ray will claim that it's overpowered now. We'll have to see how that pans out, though.) Now it can fetch kills far easier or block people off of certain areas more easily.

While Tenta Missiles are easier to use, their effect is still pretty situational, and they still have to be used smartly to be used well. Used poorly, they won't even be a nuisance and can end up not accomplishing anything at all. They're honestly pretty iffy, and are only really super effective when playing from behind. Using them when you're ahead really does not accomplish much unless the enemy team is already right next to the objective. In most cases, all the enemy team has to do to avoid it is just head for the objective (Or any random direction) and the missiles will just fall behind them harmlessly. The only people you'd actually be bothering at that point are Charger players.

And on the user end of things, it can be very hard to make a good judgement call on when to use them. Doing something like deliberately chasing players away from the objective (unless it's Splat Zones, but any team worth their salt won't stay on the zone for too long anyway) requires some pretty good decision making skills. In the other 2 modes, when my team is on the receiving end of them, most of the time we just avoid them by heading towards the objective anyway. And if they're active when we're on the tower in Tower Control, we can just jump back on in a second. Where a Sting Ray will pretty much guarantee that we'll lose control of it (which can be a big setback if that happens at a checkpoint.) Or that someone will die trying to keep the tower in control.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

There was a goon who got to S+ doing that.

That was me and honestly, Tenta Spam is really not that effective against people who actually know how to avoid them. They're far more effective by using them at the right time, not by spamming them relentlessly. That accomplishes very little most of the time because unless you caught the enemy team with their pants down, all they have to do is walk forward (and in different directions) to avoid them. Also if the enemy team is keeping a close eye on the squid icons at the top and sees that you have Tenta Missiles ready, they'll just get ready to scatter preemptively if you just mindlessly spam missiles because your behavior is so predictable.

In Training posted:

For example, There was someone on my team in my last match who put down 1400p and didn't die once and got 9 tenta missiles and we lost 0-92...what are you doing!!

And this is what's going to happen if you do that. People who do this against good players are just non-entities. Especially if they do something like jump back towards spawn every time they have missiles up.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ah, I missed that this was about specials in ranked. I was speaking from a Turf Wars perspective.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ah, I missed that this was about specials in ranked. I was speaking from a Turf Wars perspective.

Oh, in that case, yeah Sting Ray is far worse considering that there's not really a good point to focus on, and its turfing is lousy. I don't consider Tenta Missiles that good there as well, but at least they can actually paint the ground a bit.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
What's the best route to getting gear with perfect 4 set of matching abilities?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Mutant Standard posted:

Use juice or brand affinity to get at least two, and if you're lucky you'll get the third one too. If not, grind 30 same chunks so you can get that third one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mutant Standard posted:

Pretty much what Rexroom said. If you get 2 matching subs, keep them. The chances of rolling for natural triples are really low. Just suck it up and pay the 30 chunk cost if you get 2. If you're not going for pure gear and want different sub abilities, just grind up the chunks since grinding for 10 chunks takes far less time.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

I'm not a guy to chat up coffee ladies, but everything in moderation, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is a drawing

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 23, 2017

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
So in my charger kick, I've switched from the Yin to the Yang: eliter to squiffer. The squiffer is a hoot. I can't wait for the New Squiffer to get in the game. I think it had Suction Bomb/Baller like holy gently caress.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think I need a bunch of ink saver main for the rapid blaster pro at my skill level because holy crap it's an ink guzzler

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I played with a crew during splatfest and one of the guys had all this perfect gear, so I didn't play for like a week since I was trying to buy it off him in the plaza

Yea there's a couple of ways to do it, just don't grind 60 chunks, use the drink tickets

Spellman
May 31, 2011

What'll likely happen is you'll bum around without perfect gear for the first 150 hours of your Splatoon career, and then all of the sudden you'll get a bunch at once because you've saved 30 of every chunk

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Trying to kill Steelheads with the eliter is terrible. What's the point of a charger with no scope or range

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

g0lbez posted:

Trying to kill Steelheads with the eliter is terrible. What's the point of a charger with no scope or range

Eliter has loads of range, if you're not using it the problem is you my friend.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eliters have all of the range.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah...that's the point of E-Liter, it's the longest range weapon series in the game.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I wasn't charging it long enough

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Played some awesome SR games with friends and then they had to go and I was only one win away from levelling up so I thought I'd try a couple games with pubbies

god dammit

don't scatter to every corner of the map on a glowfly round you idiots, especially on Marooner's Bay

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

g0lbez posted:

Why don't I introduce you to a little gun called the Goo Tuber...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually ran into a S+ goo tuber who was kinda godlike yesterday. Anything is possible

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://68.media.tumblr.com/674305b14c1a4e9da55e7c781ceb074d/tumblr_npwxdxtfUC1rqz5qko1_r1_500.gif

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I loving wish

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Weapons in Salmon Run have different stats than the ones that are used in multiplayer. This isn't all of them, but here's a list of known statistics.

Though I think they accidentally flipped the ink consumption values for multiplayer and Salmon Run.

Also someone from GameFAQs did a bit of testing with the Splattershot and came out with these estimated HP values for the Salmonids.

quote:

Chum: 100 HP
Smallfry: 30 HP
Cohocks: 400 HP

Steelhead: ~250 HP?
Steel Eel: 500 HP
Scrapper: 500 HP (Front has 600 HP before it opens the back up and gets stunned)
Drizzler: 900 HP
Maws: 1200 HP
Stinger: ~60-70 HP per pot
Flyfish: ??? (It takes a decent beating from a Stingray, but otherwise you can't directly damage it so it's hard to estimate)
Goldie: 500 HP

Aside from event enemies, Drizzlers have the 2nd highest TTK. Which is unfortunate, as the quick kill on them is far more unreliable than quick killing Maws.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
The most Australian team.

E: i'd like to stop being sent to the smiles hell zone

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 24, 2017

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

nyahaha you love it buddy >:D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smiles posted:

nyahaha you love it buddy >:D

drat dude lol

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I want to play this more but, I haven't been able to find a couple of good pieces of gear that I've been looking for and just stockpiling money with no progression other than rank grind is frankly killing my desire to play.

I like that the app let's me buy potentialy good main abilities for cool gear that otherwise have crap for mains but it's too random and on top of that why can't I own more than one piece of the same gear if it has a different main ability? Fashion is this games endgame and I feel like they limit my ability to look the way I want and have the abilitys I want.

I don't mind grinding to get fresh gear. I mind waiting 2 and a half weeks to get a stripped beanie with a good main only to see one with a bad main.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Blank Construct posted:

The most Australian team.

E: i'd like to stop being sent to the smiles hell zone

Australian teams are why Splatoon doesn't have voice chat, we'd all be swearing like sailors at each other to get the job done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I want to play this more but, I haven't been able to find a couple of good pieces of gear that I've been looking for and just stockpiling money with no progression other than rank grind is frankly killing my desire to play.

I like that the app let's me buy potentialy good main abilities for cool gear that otherwise have crap for mains but it's too random and on top of that why can't I own more than one piece of the same gear if it has a different main ability? Fashion is this games endgame and I feel like they limit my ability to look the way I want and have the abilitys I want.

I don't mind grinding to get fresh gear. I mind waiting 2 and a half weeks to get a stripped beanie with a good main only to see one with a bad main.

Don't worry about any of that stuff IMO. The game is like 95% your ability anyway.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Rexroom posted:

Right, I better put out my ideas about the goon tournament I've been talking about a week or two ago. So without further delay, my master plan:
[snip]
Those are some of my ideas at the moment. If you have any additional comments, I'd be delighted to hear them. I plan to get the ball rolling next week anyway.

One thing that occurs to me is maybe there should be some policy on what happens when someone disconnects, because there's no way we pull off a couple dozen matches without a dc. Maybe it's a rematch if the dc is within the first ten seconds, otherwise play on. Whatever the policy, might be nice to spell it out up front.

Another thought, this good idea

dromer posted:

I’ve seen sand volleyball tournaments with a format called Mad Hatter where individuals are placed in random teams that change every match. Whoever ends up with the best overall record wins. It’s a fun way to do a more casual tournament.
reminds me of ultimate "hat tournaments". Everyone shows up in the morning and tosses their hat in the pile. Then you make four or six or however many teams by grouping hats, and you play all day with your randomly-assembled team. If you're really on the ball you might assess the skill level of each player (e.g. score out of 10, can even be self-reported when registering) then try for equal average skill across teams. In lieu of actual hats it is permissible to, say, use a computer.

And my vote is 4v4 if possible, 3v3 minimum.

Finally, don't worry about getting everything perfect on the first attempt. Hopefully this tourney would be the first of many?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bet future Australia is just a flooded wasteland of giant crocodiles in the Splatverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
Just lost a round because "Georgia" wanted to show off:

Internet Kraken posted:

I bet future Australia is just a flooded wasteland of giant crocodiles in the Splatverse.
Nah, not deadly or aquatic enough. It'll be full of stone fish, sting rays, blue-Ringed octopus, and sea wasps. Even Mr. Grizz wouldn't be cold-blooded enough to send Inklings there.