Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah doesn't seem like you save much over an Audi A4. The warranty's gonna be longer but the Audi looks sexier and probably feels more solid. Plus performance-biased Quattro is a strong part of the brand. I don't know what Kia's AWD solution is like.

I also like Audi's interior design more; looks more sleek and up-market, this Kia feels more generic.

You would really need to be in an S4/5 to match up with the stinger gt and even then you would be down on power. The S4 starts at about $50k meaning you're saving over $10k with the stinger.

The awd system in the stinger is a rwd bias'd system with torque vectoring that if I remember correctly was a 30/70 f/r split.

If you want a smaller, slower more expensive car then the Audi would be for you.

Also see the car in person and drive one before you make statements about "feeling better" or "more solid"

Maybe you can try to mooch a ride in one from a fellow forum member next year.

[quote="“davebo”" post="“476693791”"]
You’re really making me want the red interior but someone on stinger forums said 50% of pre-orders were red exterior, so I’m probably gonna stick with yellow and grey or black.
[/quote]

I'm worried because I didn't see yellow as an option on Kia's vehicle management system. Only seeing the following colors
Aurora pearl black
Silky silver
Ceramic silver
Hi chroma red
Micro blue
Snow White pearl
Panthera metal

Who knows, may just not be the full list or it may be a late release color.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It's a shame it's not called "Pantera metal". :rock:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

TheWevel posted:

It's a shame it's not called "Pantera metal". :rock:

The first time I read hi chroma red it was written as hichroma and I though it said Hiroshima red. I was confused for a few seconds to say the least.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kill me now posted:

You would really need to be in an S4/5 to match up with the stinger gt and even then you would be down on power. The S4 starts at about $50k meaning you're saving over $10k with the stinger.

The awd system in the stinger is a rwd bias'd system with torque vectoring that if I remember correctly was a 30/70 f/r split.

If you want a smaller, slower more expensive car then the Audi would be for you.

Also see the car in person and drive one before you make statements about "feeling better" or "more solid"

I'm worried because I didn't see yellow as an option on Kia's vehicle management system. Only seeing the following colors
Aurora pearl black
Silky silver
Ceramic silver
Hi chroma red
Micro blue
Snow White pearl
Panthera metal

Who knows, may just not be the full list or it may be a late release color.

I'll be curious to see the dynos. The Germans always tend to underrate.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Per Motor Trend:

2018 Stinger
0-60: 4.8 sec
Figure 8: 26.2 sec

2013 Audi S4
0-60: 4.4 sec
Figure 8: 24.9 sec

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/stinger/2018/2018-kia-stinger-gt-first-test-review/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/s4/2013/2013-audi-s4-first-test/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Winter tires. AWD doesn't help you stop and only slightly helps you turn.

Bear in mind I drive an AWD car with winter tires, so my opinion is based on anecdotal evidence.

Yeah you still can't drive like a pillock, but compared to RWD it's a difference (having driven a Mustang in winter for 7 years). I live in a mostly flat place, and I've never had any real problems with getting stuck, but I've come really close, and if you throw significant hills into that, AWD will absolutely save your rear end from time to time. Still should take winter tires, of course.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

kill me now posted:

I meant a Stinger base -> A4 base comparison. Looks like the GT is a solid deal vs. the S4.

You make good points. :) although the poster above me elaborated on S4 numbers a bit. I am excited to see and drive a Stinger GT in the wild. It is a solid effort in a really nice segment that I hope won't die out. Expensive as hell for most poors including myself to buy new, but nice nonetheless.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 24, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That kia stinger with turbo 4 and stick looks like my first family vehicle. If it is as tuneable as the 2.0t hyundai motors I'll be happy. If it can take a tow hitch and handle 1500lbs we can probably get rid of the truck too and just use a trailer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Will they make the AWD version available with a stick?

It's like trying to find a loving unicorn, I swear. How do people even drive automatics? It's so joyless and boring.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kill me now posted:

They've yet to make a car that hasn't felt like garbage, what makes you think they've finally figured it out?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I hope that the Koreans have finally made a car that is fun to drive rather than just assuming that RWD and comparable features for less money = fun to drive.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Fwiw, i've had a B9 S4 since May and the interior's already turned into a rattle box.
Headliner, dash, doors. Headliner especially.

Even worse it's all intermittent so I'm not bothering to take it to the dealer.

Never again.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, real buttons for HVAC and sound but a still decent-looking interior? Loving it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I wish KIA would redesign that awful (KIA) emblem though. It's like a placeholder that got forgotten.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

[quote="“D C”" post="“476705721”"]
They’ve yet to make a car that hasn’t felt like garbage, what makes you think they’ve finally figured it out?
[/quote]

Compared to what? My 2014 optima was great for a midsized sedan. My 2017 Sorento genuinely makes me feel happy when I drive it around.

As a salesman I've made it a point to sit in or drive as much of our competition as possible and at least as far as the interior goes none of the mass market brands do it any better overall.

If you are talking about the driving dynamics then I also wouldn't worry because every single article and review that I've seen from the US/Aus/UK press have given it very high marks overall. The only complaint I've seen is that the springs are a bit soft for the track but since it's a GT car not a track car it's understandable.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I wish KIA would redesign that awful (KIA) emblem though. It's like a placeholder that got forgotten.

Is it really any worse than (FORD)?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Your right, I saw that after I posted. I didn't think the S4 was that quick off the line. My mistake.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

Will they make the AWD version available with a stick?

It's like trying to find a loving unicorn, I swear. How do people even drive automatics? It's so joyless and boring.

ATM there's no indication they are.

If you want stick+AWD pick up a used TL. :v:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

kill me now posted:

Is it really any worse than (FORD)?

The ford logo is classic as gently caress

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Fayez Butts posted:

The ford logo is classic as gently caress

Ford didn't even start using the blue oval logo on cars until 1976 before that they were just using block letters on cars. That's only 18 years before Kia started using a logo similar to its current one on cars.

I personally think Hyundai's H logo is far worse looking. It looks like a relic from the mid 90's

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kill me now posted:

Ford didn't even start using the blue oval logo on cars until 1976 before that they were just using block letters on cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/55124.html?1210250452

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mazda's "judgmental owl" logo is the worst

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smooth jazz posted:

Fwiw, i've had a B9 S4 since May and the interior's already turned into a rattle box.
Headliner, dash, doors. Headliner especially.

Even worse it's all intermittent so I'm not bothering to take it to the dealer.

Never again.

I want more info on this.

Dealers are well acquainted with solving rattles so it's pretty silly to not take it in. They will investigate even if they're not able to reproduce.

Oh, the first post with my new Av. thanks

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

PT6A posted:

Yeah you still can't drive like a pillock, but compared to RWD it's a difference (having driven a Mustang in winter for 7 years). I live in a mostly flat place, and I've never had any real problems with getting stuck, but I've come really close, and if you throw significant hills into that, AWD will absolutely save your rear end from time to time. Still should take winter tires, of course.

We really need to have laws mandating winter tires in areas that get snow but FREEDOMS I guess.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

We really need to have laws mandating winter tires in areas that get snow but FREEDOMS I guess.

You paying?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

When someone slides through an intersection and smashes into me because they thought all they needed was AWD and all-seasons, sorta?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

ATM there's no indication they are.

If you want stick+AWD pick up a used TL. :v:

There's like a 95% chance my next car will be a Golf R, actually.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PCOS Bill posted:

You paying?

If you think driving is a privilege, not a right then the person that owns the car. Put it under 'your brake lights must work' sort of regulation and boy the problem solves itself!

Are tires legally required on cars or is it just a given?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

If you think driving is a privilege, not a right then the person that owns the car. Put it under 'your brake lights must work' sort of regulation and boy the problem solves itself!

I take it the phrase "undue burden" doesn't mean a whole lot to you.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KakerMix posted:

You understand that in large swathes of the US, a car is required to function on even a basic level and we refuse to pay people livable wages, so...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Start electing people who will raise the minimum wage and improve public transit, then.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Start electing people who will raise the minimum wage and improve public transit, then.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*breathes deep*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My mother in law lives out in the middle of nowhere and does swap meet style trading to get by, which relies on having a vehicle. They can juuuust about afford to replace a totally worn out tire with a used tire from the nearby tire recycler who mounts and balances them for them out of kindness/pity. They had a flat earlier this year that wasn't repairable and it would have been disastrous to their budget if my SIL hadn't transferred the money to her to cover it.

Add in a sudden requirement that she goes out and buys hundreds of dollars worth of tires or she gets her ability to leave her home taken from her and she'll probably put a gun in her mouth that day, she's close enough to it as it is.

It's really easy to talk from a position of privilege about how we need this new regulation to buy that new item and completely ignore the people on the fringe, but try a little empathy.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I can't even imagine the cost to run regular public transit out to the middle of the sticks, let alone what it would take to get limousine liberals to agree to foot the bill without simply shrieking "Move to the city!" on repeat

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 24, 2017

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Don't forget the increased road maintenance from studded tires, here in Alaska it seems like any street that sees significant traffic over 35mph needs to be resurfaced every 2-5 years otherwise you end up with dangerously deep ruts due to them.

You could try to disallow studs or discourage them through a tax as has been suggested up here but you then compound the burden of cost issue as studdless snow tires tend to be much more expensive when you take into account how quickly they wear. I can get 2 good years out of them in my experience then the 3rd they're not really any better than all-seasons and I've never gotten a full set for less than $800.

Better to hope for rapid progress in self-driving cars though I have no idea if anyone's even tried tackling winter conditions with them yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Q_res posted:

You understand that in large swathes of the US, a car is required to function on even a basic level and we refuse to pay people livable wages, so...

Yes I do but that's because in the USA we're collectively huge idiots that can't see two feet in front of our overweight, confused eyes. I'm not trying to say 'THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE AND ALSO THE ONLY WAY' while shoving my foot up my own rear end, I'm just trying to be realistic with the problem of people not taking car of their cars or even taking basic steps at self-preservation. It's always an issue about education at the end of the day.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've long made peace with the fact that we have to wait for all the baby boomers to die before we even have this chance. The most millennial people of all are the very people that complain about them.

PCOS Bill posted:

I take it the phrase "undue burden" doesn't mean a whole lot to you.

PCOS Bill posted:

My mother in law lives out in the middle of nowhere and does swap meet style trading to get by, which relies on having a vehicle. They can juuuust about afford to replace a totally worn out tire with a used tire from the nearby tire recycler who mounts and balances them for them out of kindness/pity. They had a flat earlier this year that wasn't repairable and it would have been disastrous to their budget if my SIL hadn't transferred the money to her to cover it.

Add in a sudden requirement that she goes out and buys hundreds of dollars worth of tires or she gets her ability to leave her home taken from her and she'll probably put a gun in her mouth that day, she's close enough to it as it is.

It's really easy to talk from a position of privilege about how we need this new regulation to buy that new item and completely ignore the people on the fringe, but try a little empathy.

I can't even imagine the cost to run regular public transit out to the middle of the sticks, let alone what it would take to get limousine liberals to agree to foot the bill without simply shrieking "Move to the city!" on repeat

It's weird being on the opposite end of this because it is classically you being the one that lays down vast generalizations as truth, then tries to skirt by acting like you are all cool and calm and collected and were the whole time.
If someone who didn't take the time to make sure their vehicle is in decent shape then has it fail while taking me down with it I'd classify that as an 'undue burden' on myself. "Undue burden" means things like maybe someone in a vehicle that didn't take basic precautions on keeping it in reasonable shape because we are extremely liberal (lol) in the United States when it comes to maintaining vehicles and safety of them, and I'd rather not have my life effected by the choices made by someone I have nothing to do with. If your mother in law is in such a poor state when it comes to finances and the cost of tires, how come her son in law (that just picked up a new Jeep, right?) come to her aid? Like gosh I'm privileged as gently caress all things considered, but when my friends and family need assistance I do what I can to help them. Otherwise we can play the bootstraps game and try to decide on what side we are each on when it comes to your family member barely scrapping by out in the middle of nowhere. You don't exactly paint a nice picture of her life after all, and I'd be curious who's feet you'd lay the fault at.

My point was that I'd rather not burden people with the costs of having correct tires for the winter, but when you fire off "WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT HUH?" the only option I have is to say 'well the drivers obviously' because if I were to say 'well we'd have a government-run system paid for by tax payers and then they'd hand out the tires as needed through a new administrative office set up specifically to deal with it' you'd have taken issue with that instead. Really large public transport works makes the most fiscal sense but 'fiscal responsibility' is like a hyper-misnomer now.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 24, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just moved to a state with no safety inspections of any type, and I now have a new appreciation for how valuable an annual check that your tires don't have steel belts showing and you have working lights on your car is worth.

The poo poo that I see on the road here blows my mind.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If you have winters your all seasons last twice as long. :aaaaa:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

I just moved to a state with no safety inspections of any type, and I now have a new appreciation for how valuable an annual check that your tires don't have steel belts showing and you have working lights on your car is worth.

Kansas requires one inspection ever and then nothing else. There's some garbage on the roads for sure. There are plenty of rolling shitpiles on the roads in Missouri too though and they require and annual inspection on anything more than 5 years old or something like that.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, moving from a state with safety inspections (Texas) to a state without safety inspections (California) it definitely helps. I've seen lots of crumpled in half cars driving diagonally in California.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Twerk from Home posted:

It really is amazing how much better condition on average cars are in states that have any kind of safety inspection, even just bi-annual emissions checks. I'm of the opinion that German-style TUV inspections are a bit much, but something like bi-annual safety checks for basics like functional lighting, minimum tire depth, cracked glass, functional emissions, visual check for disconnected suspension components, etc are enough to take care of the vast majority of the real crap out there and will greatly raise general road safety.

Snow tires a bit much relative to modern all-seasons for the vast majority of the country, but that's just me. Provided there's a serviceable amount of tread depth left, anyways.

More aggressive enforcement of existing commercial vehicle safety inspections goes without saying as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

astropika posted:

Yeah, moving from a state with safety inspections (Texas) to a state without safety inspections (California) it definitely helps. I've seen lots of crumpled in half cars driving diagonally in California.

I think CA's bi-annual emissions inspections keep the average car in better shape than safety inspections but I'd definitely prefer both.