Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So up until now, Controllers have been manageable for me in CoP. Sudden surprise and pain, but then dealt with thanks to the fact breaking line of sight means they can't spam their attack so hard I don't have time to even throw a hand grenade. Even worked out in plot moments where they get a head start trying to control an entire room full of soldiers.

But wowie zowie, controllers in an open field (with a bloodsucker on top) are incredibly rude boys.

Not because of the psychic powers direct damage, oh no. The fact they interrupt your animations, and are tough enough to tank a Vog underbarrel grenade to the face and then pop off a psy blast while the explosion is still fading.

So I'm stuck with it trying to do the reload underbarrel animation of my gun over and over as it brings my gun back out, until my hammering the mode switch button finally lets me shoot loving bullets again. (I had already emptied out my handgun, and see above for animation interrupt spam). All while also dancing around avoiding a Bloodsucker. Normally controllers have been sorta kinda a pain, but being able to break LoS has let me handle them after the initial fuckups.

"Controller in an open field" kind of undercuts my tactics if I want to actually take them out (and I wanted to save the random loner, alas gone too soon) :v: I actually tried running away at first, but he just followed me over the hill while I was fending off the bloodsucker who could catch up with my loot and plot coupons burdened rear end and that was that. So went for the direct approach rather load a five minutes ago save, because gently caress this guy.

End of the day, it felt like my greatest danger was the janky controls rather than the deadly psychic and invisible mutants. "Hey, hey game. If you could just stop trying to slowly reload the grenade launcher permanently attached to my Storm every single time I get mind blasted and let me shoot bullets, that would be great. There we go, problem solved"

I've been trying the whole "Carry a handgun!" thing to cut down on weight, but the March and Steppe eagle just feel unimpressive against wildlife and mutants above rats. Though handguns still works wonders against armored zombies and Mercs. I guess that comes with the territory when they still flinch after getting shot while wearing Exo-armor, instead of feeding my gun barrel to a dog doing a football tackle into my chest only to watch them circle for another pass.

That was certainly a bright spot :unsmith: I was feeling so down on the handguns not working out for me, then I realized they still kick rear end at killing my fellow human beings :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I was running CoC and a weapons mod (forget which), and found that a full-auto/burst 10mm with JHP was excellent at close range against things below Chimera in size, and sometimes magdumping against larger if I was in an enclosed space where they couldn't get me.

That was usually if I needed a bolt handy, though, otherwise the unique named 9/10 mm MP5 clones were much better.

What really sucked were the recurring "defend the base" swarm attacks - even miniguns and revolving grenade launchers were still not effective enough; maybe a flamethrower, if burning woild interrupt movement/attacks...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I was running CoC and a weapons mod (forget which), and found that a full-auto/burst 10mm with JHP was excellent at close range against things below Chimera in size, and sometimes magdumping against larger if I was in an enclosed space where they couldn't get me.

That was usually if I needed a bolt handy, though, otherwise the unique named 9/10 mm MP5 clones were much better.

What really sucked were the recurring "defend the base" swarm attacks - even miniguns and revolving grenade launchers were still not effective enough; maybe a flamethrower, if burning woild interrupt movement/attacks...

Yeah the talk about special ammo reminded me that for as meh I am on using JHP and nobody is selling hydroshock, Owl IS selling nice chunks of Slugs these days, even if Hawaii still sells nearly gently caress all. (I didn't have the wiki in my lap foreknowledge to not Sell PDAs I got in Zaton to Owl, like every other PDA in Zaton :v: )

Fast forward to the next controller I see out in the open, while heading for the cement anomaly to place a scanner for :science:

I got to have the drop on them, sneak up until they aggord, dump a M203 underbarrel into his face and then pull out my SPSA to (between interruptions) pump him full of 10 slug rounds too close to miss :black101: ... Which still didn't kill him. Reload my shotgun one shell at a time between psy blasts? Wrestle with my inventory to detatch the underbarrel mounted launcher on my TRS so I can actually use the bullets- okay gently caress this.

EAT KNIFE YOU BULLET SPONGE MOTHER FUCKER :fuckoff: You could have had a clean death, but no you had to make me resort to peeling your smug psychic face off with a knife.

Incidentally. Do any of those weapon mods people like to namedrop that don't cause any "less convenient, because realism/my vision" changes allow ammo type switches for shotguns without having to right click unload it in the inventory? With how awkward that is, might as well go all in for slugs because saving them for special occasions means juggling the UI. Even if they have proven to be incredibly unimpressive for what I actually wanted a beefy shotgun for in the first place, slugs are still coming in handy for making them feel better against zombies and soldiers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My answer to most mutants is knife jumping. gently caress you controllers and your brain rape, gently caress you Burers and your bullet shield and force powers. gently caress you hamsters, gently caress you Snorks, gently caress you dogs, gently caress you pseudodogs, gently caress you flesh, gently caress you boar, gently caress you bloodsuckers, eat knife.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

My answer to most mutants is knife jumping. gently caress you controllers and your brain rape, gently caress you Burers and your bullet shield and force powers. gently caress you hamsters, gently caress you Snorks, gently caress you dogs, gently caress you pseudodogs, gently caress you flesh, gently caress you boar, gently caress you bloodsuckers, eat knife.

Oh is that what that midget in the robe was? He was indoors so I had legitimate tactics to back off and toss a hand grenade around the corner then follow up with the underbarrel :v: I expect him to also be a complete pain in the rear end once he starts inevitably arriving in open fields and parking lots.

The glorified rats are pretty ridiculous if they get close though. I watched a batch of bandits get shredded and the only survivor was the one who managed to scrounge up a huge machinegun... Though that was more by virtue of the rats deciding to run at me standing 200 feet away to be picked off single file while he kept firing at waist height (but drat does one getting close to my ankles hurt a surprising amount)

I hate using the knife normally because of how wonky it can be. Like, with lone dogs and boars either it works great or I end up with a cartoonish chase sequence where even though I am physically sprinting into them it won't register. So we run in an awkward circle until the knife eventually counts as a hit or I just pull out my gun.

EDIT: Ooh, a free rocket launcher! That I will stash and forget to ever use, but principle of the matter :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 20, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The RPG-7 should really have some special incendiary and chemical projectiles. Even mini nuke warheads.

E: on the current topic, reminder: https://gfycat.com/ColdShockedAdmiralbutterfly

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 20, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There's 2 kinds of people.

And the Val is better than the Vintorez, gently caress is wrong with you

Unless you can put a scope on the AS-VAL, that'd be a hearty no.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Monolith. posted:

Unless you can put a scope on the AS-VAL, that'd be a hearty no.

...da fuk kind of unmodded misery are you playing?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

...da fuk kind of unmodded misery are you playing?

Misery is too miserable. Ironic, I suppose.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hi thread, long time no read. Having caught up, I like the concept of CoC but I'm fond (maybe just nostalgia?) of the quest progression in SoC so I thought I'd try to get through all three games first with modern mods.

I've played a poo poo ton of SoC in vanilla, stalker complete, and ZRP so for SoC I was thinking a general spruce up (in the vein of ZRP) + maybe weapons overhaul + an ENB if anyone uses those still. Autumn Aurora looks good but what about for weapons?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Revisiting guns you've ignored now that you've had Calibration tools for a while is an interesting thing, along with the wild world of "Upgraded shotguns Vs default vintar"

I accidentally brought a spare default vintar with me, so it's nice scope let me watch my bullets embarrasingly fall short from a bunch of zombies and monolith. gently caress it, bring out the slug ammo elimitator with the tiny baby x1.6 scope for a joke-oh, I've killed them all. Huh.

When your loving shotguns have better falloff than a (default grade) sniper rifle :magical:

On the other side of things, my cheapskate tendencies of not bringing an SVD or Gauss and using my ACTUALLY upgraded Vintar against Monolith has been frustrating due to them having decent armor and actually wearing helmets, even with the more fancy ammo. Then I realized the Avalanche with calibration tools skyrockets to better accuracy than the Vintar, and for some ludicrous reason a loaded Avalanche+Scope still weighs less than a loaded Vintar... By only 0.03 weight, but it's the principle of the matter. It's a whole half pound lighter empty+scope.

Given my preference for x4 scopes on assault rifles, my GP37 I'm finally using (I don't like x2 scopes unless it's on a shotgun, okay? And Vanilla seems to have bugs with Nato scopes too) still murders stuff at that range pretty nice. But you can't put a silencer on it, or the FT-200M future space gun. Even though the IL 86 can take a silencer, I can't go back to that 5 pound monster for my silent bargain bin sniping. So the Avalanche finally coming into it's own for my tastes is good.

For later mods once I finally stop playing tourist around Pripyat and finish the drat plot. Does that Arsenal Overhaul mod mentioned earlier cause an overall net gain to the handgun relevance situation? Or is it more like "We added a sweet .357 magnum for the late game!... Which you will appreciate now that cheap body armor zombies stops 9x18 and 9x19 cold!"

Does it at least make "-110% recoil. Literally -110%" on the 2u not feel like a cruel joke?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 24, 2017

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Nobody mentioned Misery 2.2 came out or is that old news?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I too was looking forward to the realistic spork holding physics when eating flesh flesh but was.discouraged by the number of tines needed between bullets fired divided by average bullet mass plus number gold teeth looted over canned tuna and cost of mint condition rifles needing $SubSaharaAfricaGDP worth of 'repairs'

()

In reality,I might have really hosed up my heavily modded CoP folder. I'm still sorting it out. Could be good? I enjoyed the mutant hides being usable armor components and ambient overhaul.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Faffel posted:

Nobody mentioned Misery 2.2 came out or is that old news?

oh, neat. might as well download it and sharpen a knife for some reason.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

I too was looking forward to the realistic spork holding physics when eating flesh flesh but was.discouraged by the number of tines needed between bullets fired divided by average bullet mass plus number gold teeth looted over canned tuna and cost of mint condition rifles needing $SubSaharaAfricaGDP worth of 'repairs'

()

In reality,I might have really hosed up my heavily modded CoP folder. I'm still sorting it out. Could be good? I enjoyed the mutant hides being usable armor components and ambient overhaul.

I don't know much about the new misery other than people seem to be having trouble finding lighters with which to light their gas fueled camp stoves and cigarettes because "Lighters are semi rare items"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Section Z posted:

I don't know much about the new misery other than people seem to be having trouble finding lighters with which to light their camp stoves and cigarettes because "Lighters are semi rare items"

Also, hope you got a butane refill cause it's empty and a flint replacement which are both super rare also.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah I can't wait to look at some inventory menus, that's what I think about when I want to play stalker. Glad the misery devs got me covered with those menus

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hope this is the Misery update that makes toilet paper a super rare and expensive item and unless you find some you end up making GBS threads your pants, thus becoming unwelcome in any stalker camp.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Digirat posted:

yeah I can't wait to look at some inventory menus, that's what I think about when I want to play stalker. Glad the misery devs got me covered with those menus

So far the only gameplay I've seen of Misery has been highlights of new inventory menu features. Truly the game of games.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ltb lighter, meet me at skadovsk, will provide free psuedodog meal.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The coolest things about STALKER are the artifacts and anomalies, and the crazy unexplained stuff like emissions that take what would otherwise be a very grounded setting and elevate it to something surreal and unpredictable, while good sound and weather effects keep the atmosphere tense and immersive.

This is why the misery dev team's focus has become entirely on micromanaging miscellaneous bits and bobs in a completely non-diegetic inventory menu so you can cook some meat (requires consumable fuel, container and lighter) which you have to painstakingly get out of the package (requires knife which must be regularly sharpened with items that specifically work on knives in the 51%-73% condition range) to satisfy an invisible bar for another 15 minutes before you have to do it again.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
i just want to shoot monsters and bad guys and loot them to buy more guns and bullets to shoot more monsters and bad guys...

I'd rather not have to worry about goddamned vitamin intake or syringe sterilization!! :argh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting one package of meat opened and cooked will take you 30 minutes in actuality though because the game will keep spawning nearby swarms of eighteen hamsters, each of which will bite you in half in a single attack unless you've somehow managed to get an exoskeleton, which will reduce them to merely biting off an entire leg and dropping the exoskeleton's durability to a point where the repair costs experience integer overflow several times.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You know, I really like the SimCity games (besides that pseudo-recent one, ugh) so you'd think I'd be all about byzantine menus letting me eke out a tiny advantage, but I just bounced right off of Misery. I don't care for it, no sir.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Digirat posted:

Getting one package of meat opened and cooked will take you 30 minutes in actuality though because the game will keep spawning nearby swarms of eighteen hamsters, each of which will bite you in half in a single attack unless you've somehow managed to get an exoskeleton, which will reduce them to merely biting off an entire leg and dropping the exoskeleton's durability to a point where the repair costs experience integer overflow several times.

"But bro, don't you see! How else would you be motivated to git gud, bro?"

The anomalies and artifacts really are the stalker experience, agreed. But adding more of that and other atmosphere requires actual design. Item fuckery is just so much easier to mod.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the real crime of misery is that all the guns look like absolute shiiiiiit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's just carrying on the strong tradition that the Stalker games all held true to on their own.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

here's a weapon repair system and 5 different types of weapon variants for each gun but they all look bad.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's okay that the lighters are gated because one of the staff has never used cigarettes and has not used vodka for 6,200+ hours.

Still immersive because technically "Not everyone needs them" :pseudo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If anyone thinks I make fun of misery 2.2 too much but hasn't read what the devs themselves advertise as features:

quote:

It’s been a while coming and we appreciate your patience. Here is the first in a series of reveals about changes and new features you will enjoy in Misery 2.2.

MAJOR NOTIONS

• 
Massive tweak of new ways to use items found ingame
. Some items can be sharpened now (shovels, swiss army knife, cutlery, grooming kit)

- Mutants can be looted only with use of sharp objects: knives, sharpened items or "Hunting Kit"

• Added quick-sharpening, with added possibility to use two separate one-usage-left sharpening stones to sharpen a shovel (shovels need two stones usages)

• Food cans have to be opened with a sharp object (knives, sharpened items, etc)

• The secret purposes of nearly every item you thought for immersion only will become readily apparent.

• Hints describe the purposes of items.

• Everyday items can now be sharpened and used to assist in getting more out of every item you find.

• A specialized Hunters Kit can be used to get the maximum amount of loot from Mutants. Yes, it’s now a viable source of income.

• Other makeshift items can also be used when sharpened and degrade with use.

• You can now salvage (with the appropriate tools) useable items from broken radios, Geiger counters, etc. reducing the weight of your loot and freeing up resources while in the field or camp.

• The more suitable a tool is for use the greater the benefit earned when salvaging items.

• Specialized salvage toolkits enable maximum recovery just like the Hunters Kit.

quote:

Do I now need a fu**ing lighter to smoke?!

The MISERY mod adds a huge variety of drugs, cigarettes and other medicaments with various effects for you to experiment with. With MISERY 2.2 we implemented a requirement to have a lighter at your disposal in order to fire up your cigars.

This is an element that we kept as a surprise (among others) for MISERY 2.2 for the sake of immersion. We considered the option of implementing a half empty lighter in starting gear for all classes, but ultimately decided that it would be fun to make the players figure out what to do themselves.
It is too easy to find lighter refiller on loot and it is cheap to buy. It won’t take long to figure out what quest you need to solve, to be able to buy lighter. Also, you can travel to Jupiter map early in game and buy lighter from Hawaian and buy green suit from scientist.

It is intended that players go to Jupiter map early in playtrough, solve some easy quest there and return back to Zaton. But in previous releases players were not encouraged enough to leave Zaton early in game, hopefully absence of green suit and lighter might help to consider this as option. At least, this is what we settled upon within the development team.

Yes, they expect you to pay a bunch of your extremely limited cash to go to jupiter early on just to buy a lighter.

Misery 1.0 has almost none of this can opener bullshit by the way. It did still swing way too far toward making every fight a quickloadfest but it was overall a good experience that I recommend trying if you've played through call of pripyat once or twice already. You'll have to find a download for it somewhere though, it's no longer on the misery moddb page.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The idea that lighters are somehow a rare commodity is so bizarre that it's amazing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

It is too easy to find lighter refiller on loot and it is cheap to buy. It won’t take long to figure out what quest you need to solve, to be able to buy lighter. Also, you can travel to Jupiter map early in game and buy lighter from Hawaian and buy green suit from scientist.

So immersive. I remember the time I went to the gas station to buy a lighter but the guy working there wouldn't sell me one until I agreed to go out back and kill 20 rats for him. Never did get that lighter though, I didn't have a sharp enough knife to chop off the tails and he wouldn't walk the 10 feet to go look at them so I could never prove it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

turn off the TV posted:

The idea that lighters are somehow a rare commodity is so bizarre that it's amazing.

So stupid. I think I read that bandits and other STALKERs drop lighters pretty frequently though, so I'm sure they'll patch that out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I do at least love the concept of a "Sharpened grooming kit" for the mental image of gutting a mutant with a mustache comb. It's probably something more boring like a 2% chance to salvage mutant lunchmeat with a nail clipper though.

Real talk though. I have a huge nerd :argh: over rampant usage of the word "Immersion". Particularly when the majority of the time they break immersion harder than if you had some kind of video gamey infinite knife/lighter/etc. Because dropping everything to wrestle with an awkward interface or google "What is the immersive usage of X item/My skyrim freezing to death in the wilderness mod" reminds you pretty loving hard you're playing a video game with video gamey hoops to jump through.

Immersion is anything that means you don't get taken out of the mindset of the gameplay experience. Not "Isn't it REALISTIC that you get gunned to death for space ship fender benders/Wouldn't it be IMMERSIVE if you had to wait in a decompression chamber constantly in your Scuba game?"

Playing with a wiki checklist open in your lap isn't loving immersion :reject: and god am I painfully aware of how petty it is to get irritable at it despite that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 25, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the silliest thing about them not just giving you a lighter when you start is that your character brings multiple packs of cigarettes and other smokables but forgot to bring a goddang lighter.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

"hmm, lets make it so the easiest way to get rid of rads in the beginning is completely gone unless you leave the tutorial zone, buy an item, and then come back."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My go-to example of a good immersive mechanic is the flashlight charger in metro 2033. Your flashlight slowly becomes dimmer over time in that game, and you charge your flashlight by getting out this bulky battery charger and tapping the mouse button (you can see the flashlight get brighter while you do it and the needle on the charger moves so it gives nice feedback). It's 100% diegetic and you equip the charger by just holding the flashlight button instead of pressing it, so you spend no time whatsoever looking at a menu or even a HUD element. That kind of thing is great but it's also way more work than adding a 2D inventory item for a lot of obvious reasons.

I don't expect misery to add work-intensive features like that but I would hope that after the five hundredth knickknack they've added to the inventory in service of "immersion" that someone on the team would have stood up and said "hey, isn't all this bullshit actually making the mod less immersive by forcing the player spend twice as long staring at a 2D menu as they are actually experiencing the game world?"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Digirat posted:

My go-to example of a good immersive mechanic is the flashlight charger in metro 2033. Your flashlight slowly becomes dimmer over time in that game, and you charge your flashlight by getting out this bulky battery charger and tapping the mouse button (you can see the flashlight get brighter while you do it and the needle on the charger moves so it gives nice feedback). It's 100% diegetic and you equip the charger by just holding the flashlight button instead of pressing it, so you spend no time whatsoever looking at a menu or even a HUD element. That kind of thing is great but it's also way more work than adding a 2D inventory item for a lot of obvious reasons.

I don't expect misery to add work-intensive features like that but I would hope that after the five hundredth knickknack they've added to the inventory in service of "immersion" that someone on the team would have stood up and said "hey, isn't all this bullshit actually making the mod less immersive by forcing the player spend twice as long staring at a 2D menu as they are actually experiencing the game world?"
You've heard of GUNSLINGER, right? It's not out yet but it looks like it'll be exactly what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

gunslinger will come out shortly before the heat death of the universe. but when it does, it will be pretty darn cool.