Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
My iPhones arrived without return envelopes for the trade-in phones. You have to go to your MyT-Mobile web account and print the return labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am sure things will improve when Sprint takes over.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I just got promoted at work and will be flying on Gogo equipped aircraft several times every week, frequently to and from Canada/Mexico. I'm planning on getting a single line one+ plan mostly for the teathering and gogo. Is free calling from Mexico and Canada included with that or do I specifically need to get an international plan?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hi T-Mobile I would love to send my old phone back to you, but your website is such a piece of poo poo I can't get the shipping label to load.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's generally the requirement for a phone if I participate in this $300 trade in offer? I have a perfectly good iPhone 6 that I use on Metro that isn't damaged at all (except has a slightly iffy ringer toggle) but it's from Europe not the US. Is that likely to throw up any issue?

e: ah the IMEI check online cleared it OK.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 26, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
When I put my 6S 64Gb in their online calculator I got a trade in value of $118. Is that right or is there a special promotion where that's goosed up to $300 for any recent phones?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

When I put my 6S 64Gb in their online calculator I got a trade in value of $118. Is that right or is there a special promotion where that's goosed up to $300 for any recent phones?

Going to answer my own question. The STANDARD trade-in calculator said that. I went through the offer page and it shows a full $300 off in bill credits for my 6s, which is a great deal to me as it's quite scuffed up around the edges and I can't see myself getting $250 before expenses in the market.

Now to decide between the 8 and the 8+. If I get the 8+ will Tmo allow me to swap to an 8 without loving up the offer within some period of time?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What is my best option if I want a 1-line BYOD plan?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

What is my best option if I want a 1-line BYOD plan?

MVNOs are great for that scenario, just depends on your specific needs (talk, text, data amounts)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

So I got a notification on my phone about a sneak preview of tomorrow's tmobile tuesday thing, and they're giving me a free ticket to a my little pony movie. Who do I write to to apologize for whatever it is I did to them to make them think this was an appropriate response?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Everyone gets the movie ticket bro

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Meanwhile I have a notification telling me it's Tuesday and to open the app for rewards that I can't claim yet because TMobile forgot time zones exist.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KodiakRS posted:

I just got promoted at work and will be flying on Gogo equipped aircraft several times every week, frequently to and from Canada/Mexico. I'm planning on getting a single line one+ plan mostly for the teathering and gogo. Is free calling from Mexico and Canada included with that or do I specifically need to get an international plan?

That should be fine you might want to add in the Plus plan for more speed and full flight WiFi though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Lotta SMS issues on TMO in the last 24 hours. Really screwed up my wife's day.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Unless she's trying to contact people in Vegas or Puerto Rico prolly check your privilege.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GoldfishStew posted:

Unless she's trying to contact people in Vegas or Puerto Rico prolly check your privilege.

:rolleyes:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GoldfishStew posted:

gently caress off

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

Eat poo poo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Lotta SMS issues on TMO in the last 24 hours. Really screwed up my wife's day.

Huh, I thought it was just me. I've been messing with my wifi calling settings to no avail. Thanks.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

If anyone's not using their MLBshop code from T-Mobile Tuesday I'll take it. Need a new hoodie for my wife to steal.

Edit just got pm'd one thanks!

McGurk fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 4, 2017

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I am not a T-Mobile customer, and I have many questions.

First, on the topic of SIM cards -- I was with Sprint from '09 until this August, and now I'm on a Sprint based MVNO (Twigby), so this is a fuzzy area for me. I have a Sprint branded LG G4 that up until June was under contract and carrier locked. Once out of contract, I unlocked it, and thought I'd see if I could use a GSM SIM in it since I read some people had a little success with it. I ordered a $10 T-Mobile SIM starter kit on Amazon, who calls it a Prepaid kit, even though the packaging doesn't say Prepaid anywhere. But I activated it with the super basic Pay As You Go, just to try it out around my area for a few days.

I had some trouble editing APNs (thanks Sprint) so I bailed on this T-Mobile experiment, but I really liked the phone number they assigned me. Thinking it might come in handy in the future, I ported it from T-Mobile and into Google Voice as my new GV number. I still have my main number on Sprint / Twigby through all this, by the way.

So now: I've ordered a new Pixel 2, and would like to take advantage of 1) the $325 gift card Pixel 2 promo, and 2) the T-Mobile Advantage program since I'm eligible for it through work based on my e-mail address. I'd like also like to 3) port my main number to this new account.

Is this T-Mobile SIM I messed with this summer any good for anything since I ported that number away? Can I use it in the Pixel when it shows up, and just call T-Mobile and try to tell them what's up? Or is the SIM completely worthless now? Should I just pay the $25 to order a new SIM card kit through the T-Mobile Advantage website?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

utonium posted:

I am not a T-Mobile customer, and I have many questions.

First, on the topic of SIM cards -- I was with Sprint from '09 until this August, and now I'm on a Sprint based MVNO (Twigby), so this is a fuzzy area for me. I have a Sprint branded LG G4 that up until June was under contract and carrier locked. Once out of contract, I unlocked it, and thought I'd see if I could use a GSM SIM in it since I read some people had a little success with it. I ordered a $10 T-Mobile SIM starter kit on Amazon, who calls it a Prepaid kit, even though the packaging doesn't say Prepaid anywhere. But I activated it with the super basic Pay As You Go, just to try it out around my area for a few days.

I had some trouble editing APNs (thanks Sprint) so I bailed on this T-Mobile experiment, but I really liked the phone number they assigned me. Thinking it might come in handy in the future, I ported it from T-Mobile and into Google Voice as my new GV number. I still have my main number on Sprint / Twigby through all this, by the way.

So now: I've ordered a new Pixel 2, and would like to take advantage of 1) the $325 gift card Pixel 2 promo, and 2) the T-Mobile Advantage program since I'm eligible for it through work based on my e-mail address. I'd like also like to 3) port my main number to this new account.

Is this T-Mobile SIM I messed with this summer any good for anything since I ported that number away? Can I use it in the Pixel when it shows up, and just call T-Mobile and try to tell them what's up? Or is the SIM completely worthless now? Should I just pay the $25 to order a new SIM card kit through the T-Mobile Advantage website?

You will get a new sim. Sims are not reused.

If you have a costco membership they can do free sims.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Ok, thanks. Yeah, going from Sprint to a Sprint MVNO, they just used the same SIM.

I do not have a Costco membership. Related question, is T-Mobile similar to Sprint in that you want to avoid going into one of their stores unless you absolutely have to?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

I did not know that about costco memberships... That is useful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Beefstorm posted:

I did not know that about costco memberships... That is useful.

Yea, its membership wireless kiosk in the store. I think all of them have them. No $25 upgrade/sim charge or $25 byod sim charge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dammit, should've gone there when I converted from nerdplan to 2-for-100. Can Costco do all the promos? I was with Sprint before on SERO / EPRP so I'm used to "good" pricing meaning I was stuck with corporate store hell.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

utonium posted:

Related question, is T-Mobile similar to Sprint in that you want to avoid going into one of their stores unless you absolutely have to?

Whether getting my account serviced ($30 prepaid dork plan) or standard plans and devices for others: T-Mobile corporate stores have been great. I've never been charged for anything other than standard bills and any deliberate purchases.

I've been a customer since Galaxy Nexus days, for what that's worth. Can't vouch for kiosks or non-corporate stores, though.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Just got a message from T-Mobile that they're capping LTE data in Canada and Mexico at 5 GB now.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-36619

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I’m trying to find a very cheap, simple phone to give to my mom-in-law. Like flip phone cheap. It would be good if it had 700 MHz LTE band 12 for extended coverage.

Does anyone know if there are any MVNOs that run on T-Mobile’s network whose phones will take a T-Mobile SIM? I’m seeing a lot of conflicting information trying to Google for this. For example, TracFone phones for T [-Mobile] network are locked to TracFone SIMs, but MetroPCS phones will accept a T-Mobile SIM? Who knows?

Today I tried a LTE flip phone from Wal-Mart Family Mobile (powered by T-Mobile), a TracFone rebrand, and it gave a SIM error. Is it safe to assume all Family Mobile and TracFone phones are locked to TracFone SIMs?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Any idea what's going on here? I got the bill for next month and my 2-line $100/mo T-Mobile ONE is apparently now 36% cheaper?

Also, our insurance with AppleCare+ dropped $4/month on both lines.

It tells me there are no changes on the lines or account, but the price is suddenly different. Our total used to be $184/month. Not that I'm complaining about spending $40 less a month, I'm just curious what changed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Any idea what's going on here? I got the bill for next month and my 2-line $100/mo T-Mobile ONE is apparently now 36% cheaper?

Also, our insurance with AppleCare+ dropped $4/month on both lines.

It tells me there are no changes on the lines or account, but the price is suddenly different. Our total used to be $184/month. Not that I'm complaining about spending $40 less a month, I'm just curious what changed.

Are your phones paid off? Given AppleCare is only two years, it would make sense as to why the bill and Apple care would drop off.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Is the $300 trade in towards the iPhone 8 good in store? If so, do I have to leave my existing phone with them in the spot?

I want to upgrade but man I get the feeling there will be a BOGO on the 7 or something soon.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is the $300 trade in towards the iPhone 8 good in store? If so, do I have to leave my existing phone with them in the spot?

I want to upgrade but man I get the feeling there will be a BOGO on the 7 or something soon.

I did the trade in at the store, left the existing 6+ and walked out with a 8+.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do they give more for iPhone 7s?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do they give more for iPhone 7s?

No. $300 for 6, 6S, 7, and the plus models. Which means a good deal for 6 models, decent deal for 6s models, and not so great for 7 models.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 24, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

T-Mobile released details on getting an iPhone X: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/iphone-x-t-mobile.htm

I got my iPhone 7 last year via JUMP. Do you guys think it would be financially worth it to get an X now that way and send my 7 back to them? Next years iPhones will probably have 600 MHz band support so I’d update again then if that was the case.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I have now joined the legion of magenta. Goodbye att and your 6gigs a month, hello 50 gigs\mo with two phones and a tablet.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm going to test the 50 gigs and see if I get throttled despite being on a grandfathered unlimited 4g nationwide contract. 5 days left and I have to use up 15 gb somehow before I start over.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
IIRC throttling is done at the tower level, based on historical usage in that area, so if you're in a place with low density or fewer tmo users you might not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I’m confused. If I get the ZTE Quartz smartwatch, do I have to have a data plan for it? Can it just run off my phone?